You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#452155 - 01/19/18 03:51 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Hi
Carryduff Offline

Hi, I recently purchased an old Solton MS4 sound module to use with a midi bass accordion. The unit seems to work ok but I can't get the internal midi to work with the accordion.All my connections are fine and the accordion has worked with other modules. I can get the modules internal voices to work but no midi signal. I assume the midi is somehow turned off internally but can't figure out how to access it. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks

#452178 - 01/19/18 05:38 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Hi [Re: Carryduff]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Welcome to the forum. I can’t help with this problem but may I suggest you edit your post title to include something like Problem with Soltan MS4 and Accordion. The right people will see it.

You have about a day before you cannot edit a post.

Good luck.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#452229 - 01/19/18 11:11 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Hi [Re: Carryduff]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Have you checked MIDI channel assignment on accordion and sound module? They must match. Devices often default to Channel 1, but not always.

Richard

#452262 - 01/19/18 02:22 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Hi [Re: Ryszard]
Carryduff Offline

Hi Richard, yes I've tried all that. all I want is to play a midi bass accordion through the sound module but it won't send any midi at all.

#452269 - 01/19/18 03:59 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Hi [Re: Carryduff]
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
Originally Posted By: Carryduff
Hi, I recently purchased an old Solton MS4 sound module to use with a midi bass accordion. The unit seems to work ok but I can't get the internal midi to work with the accordion.All my connections are fine and the accordion has worked with other modules. I can get the modules internal voices to work but no midi signal. I assume the midi is somehow turned off internally but can't figure out how to access it. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks

Hi Carry,
Are you trying to use band in a box through the accordion ? If so, the Left Hand won't work the chords etc....Band in a box is basically styles only which you use for backing tracks.
I'm a box player as well so reckon I know a bit. Tell us exactly what you're trying to do with biab and we can help more

Whenever I have a problem, I just sing, Then I realize my voice is worse than my problem.

#452270 - 01/19/18 04:00 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Hi [Re: Carryduff]
furry Offline
Veteran

For accordions, right hand is channel 1, left hand chords channel two and left hand base notes ch 3.
Hope this helps

Whenever I have a problem, I just sing, Then I realize my voice is worse than my problem.

#452350 - 01/20/18 03:51 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Hi [Re: furry]
Carryduff Offline

Hi Graham, what i'm basically trying to do is play a midi bass accordion (right hand only)through the Solton MS4. As the bass in the module would normally be set up for the left side, I think I will have to change some of the internal settings
of the Solton. This is the best way that I can explain it. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

#452393 - 01/20/18 08:18 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Hi [Re: Carryduff]
furry Offline
Veteran

OK Carry But are you also trying to use band in a box as a midi module ? What I'm getting at is that you won'r be able to change backing chords via your left hand, all those need to be done manually which isn't as daunting as it sounds. You COULD use band in a box live using a high spec laptop, I know a load of folk on here who do this

Edited by furry (01/20/18 08:23 AM)

#452406 - 01/20/18 09:41 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Hi [Re: Carryduff]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Furry, he's not asking about Biab, this is the Tech S.O.S. forum read the FAQ's. This forum is for people to post questions like this that DO NOT have anything to do with PG Products.

Carryduff I agree this is most likely a midi channel issue, just play with it more it should work. The way Furry described the midi channels is the same as on my B3 organ clones. Upper manual is channel 1, lower is 2 and bass pedals is 3. The left hand bass buttons is channel 3 but you want to play bass with the right hand meaning the accordion is transmitting the right hand on channel 1.

Ok, I just searched for the MS4 and see it's a full blown Ketron arranger module. Cool. I like arrangers I have a Korg Pa1XPro. I was going to download the user manual but the sites I found want to charge for it presumably you have it, if you don't you can get it from Ketron.

This module isn't just for accordians, it will work with any midi controller. Since it's an arranger it receives on all 16 midi channels and the styles will have all the different parts set to default channels at least that's how my Korg does it. The manual will explain this maybe under a chapter titled how to use a controller keyboard or something. It may also have a separate mode for a user that does NOT want to use the arranger function and just wants to use it as a sound module. Perhaps for what you want you have to set it in that mode. If I had the manual I'm sure I could figure it out for you.

Whatever it is you have to match the channel the accordion is transmitting from the right hand to the channel the MS4 is using for the bass part. I also found this accordion forum, you could try posting your question there:

http://accordionworld.co.uk/index.php?topic=160.0

Bob

#452423 - 01/20/18 10:53 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Hi [Re: jazzmammal]
furry Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Furry, he's not asking about Biab, this is the Tech S.O.S. forum read the FAQ's. This forum is for people to post questions like this that DO NOT have anything to do with PG Products.

Carryduff I agree this is most likely a midi channel issue, just play with it more it should work. The way Furry described the midi channels is the same as on my B3 organ clones. Upper manual is channel 1, lower is 2 and bass pedals is 3. The left hand bass buttons is channel 3 but you want to play bass with the right hand meaning the accordion is transmitting the right hand on channel 1.

Ok, I just searched for the MS4 and see it's a full blown Ketron arranger module. Cool. I like arrangers I have a Korg Pa1XPro. I was going to download the user manual but the sites I found want to charge for it presumably you have it, if you don't you can get it from Ketron.

This module isn't just for accordians, it will work with any midi controller. Since it's an arranger it receives on all 16 midi channels and the styles will have all the different parts set to default channels at least that's how my Korg does it. The manual will explain this maybe under a chapter titled how to use a controller keyboard or something. It may also have a separate mode for a user that does NOT want to use the arranger function and just wants to use it as a sound module. Perhaps for what you want you have to set it in that mode. If I had the manual I'm sure I could figure it out for you.

Whatever it is you have to match the channel the accordion is transmitting from the right hand to the channel the MS4 is using for the bass part. I also found this accordion forum, you could try posting your question there:

http://accordionworld.co.uk/index.php?topic=160.0

Bob

My apologies, I wasn't aware this was an open for all part. Needing new glasses !

#452578 - 01/21/18 03:20 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Hi [Re: jazzmammal]
Carryduff Offline

Yes Jazzmammal everything you say is correct, I finally realised that I had to get the right hand to play the bass Programs which would otherwise be assigned to the left hand accompaniments so after delving into the midi structure and changing all the settings including the split point (very important, would only play 1 octave before) I now have exactly what I was looking for, well pleased. A big thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply

#452629 - 01/21/18 09:50 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Hi [Re: Carryduff]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Great, glad you got it sorted.

Bob

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Video - Using the StylePicker in Band-in-a-Box®

We've just updated our StylePicker video tutorial - see the latest version here.
This video uses Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, however all of the functions are applicable to the Mac version.

Forum Stats
27826 Members
51 Forums
52985 Topics
439743 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
milesk, alvesbdanilo, brothert67, Robertbudpratt, BennyP

27825 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 155
David Snyder 137