RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Hi,

For a while I have been running a jazz jam club where I record the jams while using BIAB to provide a constant speed and to provide some of the missing rhythm section instruments such as drums, bass guitar or piano so we can always have the jam if we have at least two participants. I have just started to consistently (after the jam) use real band to mix the songs down to mp3 for transfer up to soundcloud where the players/singers involved can hear them.

At this point all I do is set a fixed mix setting for the whole song that more or less provides a good average balance for the various instruments. However many times the mix is good during part of the song and at other times during the song an instrument is too loud or too quiet. So after I get my mix setting that is reasonable I send it to .wav then have a program convert it to mp3. That leads to a question.

If I was to adjust the levels during the mix such that I fix the slight imbalances during the song is it possible for Real Band to remember these dynamic volume fixes and transfer them to mp3? If not is it possible to have it write to mp3 as the mix is playing and I am making these adjustments?

Thanks,
John

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
John,

Set all the mixes the way you want them in Realband; it sounds like volume envelopes would be the best for doing this. Once that's done, simply export to audio (in your case, mp3).

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Hi Noel, I did a realband help search on "volume envelopes" and since nothing showed up with a title "volume envelopes" except a plug ins section it sounds like this is a plug in feature. I then did a youtube search "realband volume envelopes" and this video showed up
RealBand: Volume Automation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5kKx5ThpSY
That is pretty cool.

I did this youtube search "realband envelopes tutorial" and I found this video which has a different way of doing the same thing as the above video shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvy_STxwos

I did a forum search for volume envelopes and found on hit. It was pretty advanced.

I was also thinking after reading your suggestion I could use the compression knob on my live mixing board. The problem with that is it locks it in stone.

Mixing these recordings will be a 3 or 4 hour capped activity for me. A simple compression approach will be all I have time for since learning songs, organizing the jams, practicing my songs, can easily suck up 6 hours a day and I wish I could put more time into it :-)

Thanks,
John

Last edited by bowlesj; 01/17/18 11:45 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
John,

It would also be possible to use a compression plug-in in Realband on the recorded wav. This is non-destructive and so you would be able to get back to the original recording any time you wanted.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Okay thanks Noel. It is something I will dig into a little bit each time I have to mix a jam and send it up to soundcloud. Basically it is just so they can critique their playing. I do all this work for free so they can't complain :-) The last one I did they were very happy with.

Last edited by bowlesj; 01/17/18 12:14 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yet another way is to simply highlight the section you want to change, and use Edit - Gain Change.

This hard writes the changes, so it's a good idea to have a backup of the original Seq file.

In a situation like yours, where time matters more than perfection, this is a viable option, in my opinion.
Yeah, it's better to use non-destructive edits, but if you are doing work that will likely be 'one time' and not for production/public consumption, this can be an quick/easy way to do things.
Once done it works every time.

The envelopes are pretty intuitive once you get used to them, but like everything there is a learning curve and your system may need fine tuning to hear it accurately (ASIO works better usually, for accuracy), etc.
Gain Change simply hard writes the volume change to the audio data.

If you pay attention to the check boxes in the Gain Change you can Fade the selected section In/Out or just reduce/boost it.

Yet another way is to open the Mixer and enable the 'Record Mixer Moves' button at the bottom.
Then you can record the mixer moves as you do them.

If you are using MME, there will be a delay between when you move them and hear them in real time, but they render fine, which is why I mentioned above ASIO is better (faster) for envelopes and mixer moves.

Gain Change just works (even with MME), but once written and saved it can't be undone.
There's always a trade off, and it depends on the need and preferred workflow as to which is better for any given user/need combination.

Last edited by rharv; 01/17/18 02:33 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Thanks Rharv, these methods seem pretty straight forward too.

One question about the volume envelopes. Is that built into RealBand? Earlier tonight I was looking for a tutorial on it and could not find anything.

Last edited by bowlesj; 01/17/18 04:56 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
One question about the volume envelopes. Is that built into RealBand? Earlier tonight I was looking for a tutorial on it and could not find anything.

John,

Volume envelopes are available in latter versions of Realband (from 2014 upwards).

See the image below to make the volume and/or gain envelope visible. Nodes are added simply by clicking on the envelope line at required positions.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
volume nodes.JPG (68.04 KB, 60 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi Noel
I can see that being a very useful feature Noel.
Thanks for pointing it out ,I had missed that one!
Regards
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
Hi Noel
I can see that being a very useful feature Noel.
Thanks for pointing it out ,I had missed that one!
Regards
Mike

Mike,

There are so many features in BIAB and RB that even after 12 years of BIAB and 10 years of Realband (it was first released in 2008), I'm always finding new things!

In fact, it's rare for a day to go by where I don't learn something about the programs that I didn't know the day before.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Thanks Noel.

It turns out that what you call "Volume Envelopes" is the same as what this video I included
in a prior post is all about.
It explains the use of the nodes you just mentioned.
I guess my youtube search did work after all but I did not realize it because of the terminology difference.
I will play around with it (and everything else that has been pointed out) during my next mix session after the next jam.

I will never learn as much as you know Noel :-) Well maybe. I plan on living to 150 :-)

John

Last edited by bowlesj; 01/19/18 10:43 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Many months later I finally got around to doing this.
I ended up using this node based volume automation method.
I gives a nice visual on the places where I changed it and a few times I had to scroll forward and back to find these.
Great feature!

Next up is learning to put in reverb. On my first attempt it locked up on me :-) Hopefully this was a fluke.

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/22/18 03:28 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,485
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195