You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#452394 - 01/20/18 08:26 AM [Beginners Forum] The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Loc: Missouri
I wanted to put up a post about how I got started using Band In A Box in order to help someone who is just getting started using the program to be be able to see the potential uses of BIAB for a musician and explain my procedure when composing a song.
I began using BIAB about 10 years ago after seeing some things online about the program and thought it might work for me. I had just accepted a staff position as a worship leader at a medium size church (250-300 people) and had been put in charge of all music. The problem I immediately encountered was that there were no available musicians to help me. This is where BIAB saved the day. I was able to quickly construct many professional sounding songs that I would be able to use in the services and play my guitar or keyboards along with and provide an excellent set of music for our church to sing along with. Unfortunately I still haven’t been able to team up with other capable musicians yet but BIAB has helped me keep great music going at church for the last 10 years. I have been able to put together songs for many of our talented singers to use for special music in our services also.
My procedure when using BIAB as I compose is as follows:
1. Get a song in mind and start auditioning styles that sound close to the sound you are looking for.
2. Substitute certain instruments within that style for others that may “fit” the song a little better . For example, you may find a RealDrums set that sounds closer to what the song needs instead of the original one in the style.
3. Make your settings for the song key, how many bars, tempo etc. and type in your chords for the song and setting the appropriate A/B part markers for verse and choruses.
4. Start playing the the song listening for changes that need to be made. It’s a good idea to start saving your work at this point often in case of a problem of some sort that would cause you to lose your work. You may try soloing drums and bass first getting your sound right and then “freezing” these tracks and then moving on to work on other instruments and follow the same procedure. This part of working with BIAB is the most time consuming but in my opinion, is what can set your song apart from from others who don’t focus on these details. The time spent here is well worth the effort.
4. Exporting - at this point you can save the song and export as is to SoundCloud or whatever site you prefer to send music to or you can do as I like to do by exporting each individual track to your preferred recording program to apply effects that you like to use on the tracks or record additional instrumentation or vocals to.
5. Video - at this point I like to export from my daw the final stereo file of my song to my favorite video editing program to get the song ready for using with our church media presentation program. I will arrange the videos in the proper order and run the audio out of the computer to our house system and the video out to the house projection system. This works like clockwork week after week.
All of this is a very basic explanation of how I use the program and I know that there are many users who use BIAB in far more sophisticated ways than I do. But I would estimate that I have arranged 500-600 songs using BIAB, the vast majority of which I have used in a public setting. Thanks PG Music for being my go to source for musical help and inspiration! My hope is that this post might help someone open their eyes to potential uses of the program that they might not have thought of. I could see the same type setup used for clubs, weddings etc. I invite any of the veteran users of BIAB to contribute any additional thoughts to this thread to help a beginner. We all can remember certain struggles we had in the beginning with BIAB and any helpful information could really brighten someone’s day. Happy composing!!! Thanks, Torrey

Edited by Torrey Bliss (01/21/18 03:59 PM)

#452403 - 01/20/18 09:22 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Torrey Bliss]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Loc: Buford, GA
Awesome story! Very inspiring!

Thanks for sharing. smile

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2018

#452412 - 01/20/18 10:22 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Torrey Bliss]
Hugh2 Offline
Apprentice

Hi Torrey
Great post on how you overcome a lack of musicians in Church.BiaB has so many varied uses.A guitarist in Church suggested I try out BiaB and wow its has contributed to something I never thought possible,me making songs,i never dreamed id be able ,thanks for the post Hugh

#452434 - 01/20/18 11:28 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Torrey Bliss]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Torrey,

That is a really great story. And, as Mike has already said, it's very inspiring.

I have no doubt that there will be many people on here who will benefit from your post.

All the best,
Noel

#452479 - 01/20/18 02:44 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Torrey Bliss]
Jim Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Hi Torrey,

Greatly enjoyed reading your story and how Band-in-a-Box is a tool you use daily in your work as a church music director.

Some questions about your workflow. You mention that after a song project is finished you import it into a video editing program. Do you use the video editing program to display song lyrics?
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#452486 - 01/20/18 03:00 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Jim Fogle]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Jim, thanks for the kind words! I build my videos in the Sony Vegas video editing program and then render the video and save it to a folder on my computer. Then I pick the videos needed for a particular service and inset into the Media Shout program we use at church. Sorry I didn’t cover all of this but was trying to just cover the basics. Thanks, T

#452531 - 01/20/18 10:22 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Torrey Bliss]
jcspro40 Offline
Expert

Loc: Ohio-USA
That is a great read! I would be interested in hearing some of the tracks, or even having you share some of them to we can import them....."Church / P&W" music is sorely under-represented in BiaB song format...
Custom Core2Quad 3.2Ghz, 8gb memory, 1gb nVidia dual monitor card, 1tb OS HDD, 2 2gb Internal HDD, 8tb External HDD, dual LG 27" Monitors, Win7 x64 Ultimate, BiaB/RB 2017, Reaper 4.75, Mixbus 32C, IK Multimedia / iZotope / Plug & Mix VST-VSTi Collections

#452592 - 01/21/18 06:07 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Torrey Bliss]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
Fantastic! What a great way to be using these tools. smile

#452602 - 01/21/18 07:07 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Torrey Bliss]
Belladonna Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Virginia
Very interesting story about all the possibilities of how to use BIAB. I was never able to pursue my music early on, although I did learn to play the piano in my teens, but not really well. Raising a family and the need to earn a decent living over filled a lot of years. Then I fell in love with songwriting, but it was somewhat frustrating with the lack of musical technique, but then I found BIAB and it's really helped take my songs to the next level. I'm still really a beginner, been writing songs for about six years and have written over 250 songs so far. A lot of mediocre ones but I can see my progression and BIAB has made them much better, so I'm excited about the potential.

#452611 - 01/21/18 07:29 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: jcspro40]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Thanks jcspro40 for reading and commenting! I appreciate it! Due to copyright restrictions I can’t post these songs online without purchasing mechanical and sync licenses for them. Our church has purchased a blanket license for these which allows us to use these songs in the services. I do have videos up on YouTube under my name of my own material that gives an idea of what I am doing. Thanks again, Torrey

#452965 - 01/22/18 04:22 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: MikeK]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Thanks Mike for reading and giving the thumbs up! I appreciate it! T

#452966 - 01/22/18 04:25 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Hugh2]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Thanks for the positive feedback Hugh! I'm convinced that with enough effort from the user, someone can coax just about any type of tune they want to out of this program and a convincingly professional one at that! T

#452967 - 01/22/18 04:26 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Noel96]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Thanks for reading and commenting Noel! I appreciate it! T

#452968 - 01/22/18 04:46 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Torrey Bliss]
flatfoot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento CA
Yup, this is great stuff. It ought to be pinned, or something.

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab

#453069 - 01/23/18 06:27 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Torrey Bliss]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Thank you for sharing your story, Torrey smile It's very inspiring! I have no doubt others will gain a lot from what you've said here.

#453202 - 01/23/18 12:07 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: HearToLearn]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Thanks HearToLearn for checking out this post and giving positive feedback! I truly appreciate it! T

#453203 - 01/23/18 12:11 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: Belladonna]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Thanks Belladonna for taking time to read this and contribute your thoughts! I have been keeping up with the music you post and it is noticeably getting better all the time! Your lyrics have always been great and your production skills are catching up! I have no doubt that you will be producing some really great material in the near future! Best to you in 2018! T

#453532 - 01/25/18 04:30 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: The way I use Band In A Box and how it changed my music career [Re: flatfoot]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Thanks flatfoot for reading and commenting! I appreciate it! T

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Pro & MegaPAK RealCombos!

We've added MORE to the RealCombos included in the Pro & MegaPAK packages with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Pro includes 300 RealTracks instruments in over 100 bands - that's 100+ more than previous years - listen to them here.

There are now over 500 RealTracks in 300 Bands in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 MegaPAK! Take a look at all the RealTracks & RealDrums in the MegaPAK here.

To receive the new version with these new RealCombos, upgrade during our special for as little as $59! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm.

Get ALL the Regular RealTracks & RealDrums when you upgrade to an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition!

Title Track Day, May 23, 2018!

Did you know... today is Title Track Day!

Which album do you think of on this special day? Better yet, have you created your own album and named it after a song?

Join the converation...

New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends May 31st!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Everything You Need to Know in Under 5 Minutes!

Want to quickly see the new features included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac in action?

Check out this video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® ! Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes*: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=XSSQpijRyxk

*The video includes an extra 2 minutes for the 49-PAK! The first 5 minutes show you all of the great new features and content available with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, and it's followed by additional video showing off the 2018 49-PAK for Mac.

Forum Stats
27510 Members
50 Forums
51814 Topics
428095 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
markmarkmark, rocetka, Richard Black, jcbush13, Bernman48066

27510 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 438
zedd 195