Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#452306 01/19/18 05:40 PM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
A
OP Offline
A
I wanted to build my own pc that would help to render BIAB tunes that I create. Where should I invest the money for the biggest bang for the buck? Processor? Skip graphics card? What should the focus be on?

Thanks!

-Andrew

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
You’ve asked a really wise question.

I build all my computers, and their primary function is for music programs especially including BIAB.

The CPU is very important for regenerating RealTracks. Don’t skimp there.

The graphics card is relatively not very important in digital audio.

I highly recommend a SSD boot drive, and put the BIAB program on it. The RealTracks can stay on the supplied USB drive but if you can give them a separate internal hard drive, I recommend that.

Tougher question: RAM. At this time BIAB is a 32-bit program and itself doesn’t benefit from more than 4 GB. However, if you have large software synths BIAB can use JBridge to access more RAM if you have it.

To prevent RFI, I only use wired mice and keyboards for music, and I keep the router away from the PC.

I am careful not to run power cables in parallel with line level or mic cables.

And we haven’t even talked about an audio/MIDI interface outside the box, decent monitors and a room without lots of square surfaces and windows.

Does this help?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
That is an option, but unless you are truly a pro (meaning your computer you build is how you are going to make money) let me share with you that I just went out and ordered a Dell. After years of hand building with specs and safeguards that in the long run didn't mean much it was just as easy to buy the Dell. Solid state drives are nice and if I had money and desire I would have SSDs in that computer, but for me the primary advantage is boot speed, and I have no reason to care it it take 4 seconds to boot or 4 minutes. Nothing is that urgent for me. I have an i7 with 64 gigs of RAM and a 2tb storage drive for files. Programs live on C: and data lives on D: with thumb drives just for utility. When I work on music downstairs I move them by network anyway. I have never had any issues with RF from the wireless keyboard but I'll take Matt's word for it if he says he has. In my case I am writing songs nobody will ever hear but me and a handful of people here who bother to listen, so I don't care if the wireless keyboard maybe could might possible potentially emit a spurious bit of noise.

My PC with the RAM upgrades, the second drive and updated video card was $1100. I am so out of touch with that world since retiring from IT that I don't even know (or care) if buillding would have been cheaper, more expensive, or the same.

All depends on you, bro. According to your post you have been a member over 2 years and this is your 10th post. I don't know how much you are into music, if it is your means to make a living, if you play with it for 2 hours a month.... I don't know your skill level with computers, so building may be a challenge to you or it may be second nature. Back when I was a gamer I had a water cooled system because I pushed the front end bus of the fastest AMD processor made then to the limits it could be pushed and it ran so hot you could weld with it. That one also had 64gb of RAM and the best ATI video card. That was like 18-20 years ago though. THAT computer you won't buy at Staples... Now I am retired and lazy and refuse to work on computers ever again.

So ask yourself some questions. Is this a money pit that will sit in a spare room or is it going to make money for you to at the very least pay for itself. That's step one on your decision. I have been to houses bigger than my high school where people had obscene amounts of money and wanted these state of the art computers so they could check their AOL email..... LOL

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Veteran
Veteran
To build off Eddie, I usually go with Dells too. I've been shopping PCs and laptops with them for over 10 years. I usually shop at the Dell Outlet and buy refurbished machines. They have all the warranties of a brand-new machine but were returned for some reasons or other. The prices can be steeply discounted depending on the models and specs you are looking for. I work in IT as well and could build my own machine too but prefer the challenge of finding a machine already built with the features I want.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Steve, do you know if current Dells have slots to add more hard drives or SSDs, plus power and SATA cables or at least ports for them? That was a serious problem the last time I looked under the hood at one.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Matt, my Dell Precision T5400 is an engineering workstation from 2008. I've found better luck with number of power/SATA cables and drive bay on those versus the consumer grade PCs. On the screenshot below you'll find that they separate the good workstations from consumer models with (For Home) or (For Work). I always have gone with the Precisions as I was introduced to them through the office in IT-land. I knew they were bulky and tough workhorses from supporting and maintaining them in the work environment. Of course a Dell Precision Workstation will cost you a bit more than the consumer (home) models but you have an awesome machine for music, video, or whatever challenge you throw at it. The newer version of my machine is the 5810 and 5820. I've got upgrades maxed out on my machine, 32 Gig Ram, Dual Quad Core Xeon processors (8 logical cores) and a beefed up video card. I should still be good for another couple of years before I get a newer machine. I also use this machine to render 4K HD video and flight simulation. Hope that helps!

Precision Workstations

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Untitled.png (39.02 KB, 89 downloads)
Dell Website

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Thanks!

Veteran
Veteran
NP. Once you see what models you may want, then pop over to the Dell Outlet store. Available PCs change on a daily basis. I just saw 2 5810s one loaded with an 8 core processor and the other with a 12 core. Each PC was marked down over 50% from their original price.

Steve

A
OP Offline
A
Thank very much for the responses everyone. I’m taking notes on all of your comments. You guys confirmed what I was thinking. I do make a living from music and wanted the BIAB program to load faster and render to mp3 faster. I figured it wasn’t the graphics card, but the processor. I do live in Florida so cooling is going to be a factor. I hadn’t considered Dell, but I’ve looked into many YouTube videos on how to build a pc. My laptop is struggling a bit. It’s a refurbished Windows 10 running the latest BIAB. I’m probably looking at the 1,500-2,000 range.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: andrewmcn
I wanted to build my own pc that would help to render BIAB tunes that I create. Where should I invest the money for the biggest bang for the buck? Processor? Skip graphics card? What should the focus be on?

Thanks!

-Andrew

This is the best way to do home recording.... build or buy a machine that will be dedicated to the music.

I've used both with good results. The important part is to have a really nice USB interface. That's the sound card. You really don't want to try to use the soundcard in the computer.

Most computers today are more than sufficient and powerful enough to do everything you need. Just use a good interface and you'll be just fine.

I have a Dell laptop that I used for several years with a Focusrite interface and it did an amazing job. Later, well, it's been over 10 years ago now, I built a custom DAW with the i5 Intel chip and running XP pro 32bit. That machine is still running rock solid and it now uses the Focusrite interface that was on the Dell. The benefit to the custom build was it didn't come from the factory loaded with bloatware and unnecessary software taking up drive space.

I keep my main DAW totally off the internet. As a result, I don't get surprise updates that screw up my configuration.

But yeah.... I think you'll be fine with either a build or an off the shelf machine. Put the focus on the interface, the speakers you monitor with , and some good software besides PG's fabulous stuff.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195