Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

This might have been covered in another forum, but Real Band 2017 (I won't get 2018 for like another month or so) is REAL SLOW saving tracks now after I open a MGU file and then go to save it.

I don't think it is memory, I have plenty of that--and Sonar can save like 14 tracks of audio in less than a minute.

But when I am trying to save a .seq file it takes maybe 4 to 5 minutes and I don't remember it taking that long.

It used to be really fast. (None of my other programs are acting differently, by the way, and when I am in Sonar I use an insane amount of VSTs and plugins and nothing has changed. Still fast.)

Anyone else having this??

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
David,

It certainly shouldn't take that long.

A couple of thoughts (but I imagine that you've already done these)....

1. When you start RB, do you use the "Run as administrator" mode? It needs this.

This mode can be set permanently by right-clicking on the RB shortcut, selecting properties and then activating the "Run as admin" option under the 'Compatibility' tab in the properties window.

2. Is the Realband directory excluded from checking by your antivirus software?

I've found that every once in a while when I get a major software update from Avast!, I need to reset my exclusions. These would be worth double-checking.

As a test, I'd also try the following...

(a) Change the audio driver to MME. (This is always the best audio driver to use when problem solving.)

(b) Load in the song demo for one of the ZZ midi styles.

(c) Generate it and save it. Was the saving quick or slow?

(d) If the saving was quick, I'd then load one of the older Realstyles (say, 2012 or so), generate it and save it. Was this still quick?

(e) If so, I'd then compare what the 'slow saving' file has in it that the 'fast saving' file does not. It might be that just a single plugin is not playing nicely with RB.

Hope this makes sense and gives you some things to try out.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
What he said. Plus:

Are you running out of free space on your drive? A general rule is to have at least 15% of free space to avoid thrashing. The size of the Windows Pagefile affects the rule. The more RAM, the smaller the pagefile you need...

Is the drive defragged (unless it is an SSD)?

Have you run a CHKDSK lately to check the integrity of the drive? It could explain why one program works fine and the other does not.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Also, given Here To Learn's recent experience with RB, it would be worth...

(1) (re)downloading the latest build (Build 4) and installing it just to make sure;

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm

(2) restarting your computer (I suspect you've done this but I mention it just in case you haven't).

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Hey Noel and Matt,

Thanks a lot guys.

Here is the story.

I have done all those checks. A check disk was done last week, and I am using about 10 % of cpu and 20% of memory when RB is saving. 40% of my "E" drive is free. (My main drive.)

I am running RB off of the audiophile flash hard drive, though, not my computer. Sonar is on my computer. I am saving to another drive (as I do with Sonar too.)

I deleted the RB.ini and .cfg files and did a reconfig.

I tried Noel's experiment with a ZZ file that loaded Real Drums. It saved that, just a Real Drum TRack as audio, in about 30 secs.

I opened a previous RB file and it opened it in about 5 secs or less, maybe 4.

But to SAVE those 8 tracks including 4 recorded vocals tracks took about 4 to 5 minutes.

It did not used to be this slow.

I see I am auto set to defrag my drive every week, and the audiophile drive is excluded from scans.

So, I am a little stumped. Real Band saves used to be a lot faster than this,

BTW, I am not using any plugins in Real Band. I only use it to load or generate Real Tracks and record audio.

I mix in Sonar.

Matt, BTW, I am auditioning Reaper. Let me know how you get a along with it. I may buy it eventually if you say you like it a lot.

Sonar still works so I am in no rush because I LOVE my Sonar, and will boo hoo hoo if it evers disappears, but I would to hear how you get along with Reaper.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Noel.

See my post to you and Matt, just now. I am still using RB 2017 and won't have 2018 until February.

I ran through all your fixes.

See my other note.

Confused man!

smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I’m confused too.

The PG Music USB drive is an ordinary hard drive, not a flash drive in the sense of an SSD, but saving taking minutes is indeed very wrong.

At the risk of letting you derail your own thread, I didn’t particularly like Reaper. I first tried Mixcraft which was great but couldn’t display notation of more than one track. I’m presently using Samplitude.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You sure there are no new plugins being used?

I know some plugins can add to the render/save times more than others.

Another thing; is the file a normal size? Some have had issue with the song playing on for a long time after the end.
This would affect Save time also.

I had this last Thursday where somehow a 8 track recording of 4 minutes was over a gig in file size.
It saved slow, I looked at the size and immediately Cut everything from the 4 minutes to measure 12000 (Using Close Gap) and then it saved much faster.

No idea what I did wrong on that one file.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
No idea what I did wrong on that one file.

I've found over the years this happens when you do a lot of audio editing with cut and paste, where it looks like some of the stuff in the paste buffer gets shoved to the end of the track. It only happens sporadically, and I've reported it a few times, but because it's not consistent, it's hard to track down.

Rather than fret, when it happens, I just do exactly what you did...delete everything to the wayyyyy end and close gap.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Sorry to be late to respond to this guys. Been a little crazy.

I appreciate all of your help, but no I don't have any plug ins in real band whatsoever. I don't use real band as a mixer just to generate real tracks and maybe record audio.

As stated beforehand real band will load real tracks extremely quickly from a band in a box file. But it takes forever to save them.

I think I am going to have to call tech support because I've looked at every single possibility and it doesn't make sense

Thanks for all of your help so far.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195