Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Songwriting
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Foreshadowing is a literary device that helps set up what is to come.

From the perspective of a verse-chorus song, the chorus is an ideal place to use some indirect foreshadowing. Such foreshadowing can empower the lyrics and help greatly with lyric development.

As an example, below are the lyrics to my song "This Road".

Quote:
THIS ROAD
©2017 Noel Adams, words and music, all rights reserved.

VERSE 1
Sometimes my legs get weary
And it hurts with every step I take
Sometimes I fall or stumble
But I keep walking, ‘cause that’s the only way
Travelling under blue sky and grey cloud
Leading me around every bend
This road is my livelong companion
Just one direction, beginning to end

CHORUS
This road is the journey that I’ve been given
So I keep on walking from day to day
Where I’m going, I don’t know
And though I’m in destiny’s hands
On this road, I plan to travel as far as I can

VERSE 2
Always chasing that horizon
Seasons come and go beneath my shoe
What detours are waiting to surprise me?
How many mountains must I struggle to endure?
Tomorrow hides behind a haze of mystery
It’s mine to work with, whatever way it falls
While I’m bound by the rules of this highway
I try to travel standing straight and tall

CHORUS

Whatever comes my way

Background thinking...

Prior to creating this song, I knew it was going to be a slow ballad. This meant that two verses interspersed with choruses would probably be sufficient to create a song of reasonable length. So that was my plan.... verse, chorus, verse, chorus.

From the perspective of lyric development, experience and Pat Pattison have taught me that lyric development is very effective if Verse 1 'sets the scene' using words that are sense-bound and thus evoke images, memories and feelings in the listener's mind. Verse 2, can then develop by adding some of the song character's personal insight or philosophy to the lyrics' meaning. Since the chorus is ideally exactly the same set of lyrics after each verse, to use foreshadowing in the chorus as a lyric development technique, I needed to have at least two aspects to my chorus. The first aspect would be the focal point for Verse 1 and the second aspect would ultimately become the focal point for Verse 2 lyrics; at the end of Verse 1, though, this second aspect acts to foreshadow Verse 2 content. In addition, and to maintain lyric coherence, from the listener's perspective, these two aspects shouldn't be obvious.

= = = = =

The above thinking led me to....

Verse 1
The first four lines of this verse are all about walking. I've used words that, hopefully, the listener can relate to and understand that after walking a long way for a long time, it becomes tedious and wearing on the body.

The last four lines of Verse 1 are about the road I'm walking on. There's a element of metaphor in the 'blue sky', 'grey cloud' and 'bends in the road'. There's also a hint of foreshadowing in that this road is a one way street (i.e. like Life).

Chorus 1
The first part of the chorus is literally about walking. The second, latter section of the chorus is about destiny and not knowing what is going to be happening in the future. In spite of this lack of knowledge, though, the song's character plans to do everything s/he can to live as long as possible - this is a third aspect of the chorus.

This means, that this chorus has three aspects...

(a) the physical act of walking
  • this summarises the content of verse 1 and is the focal point for verse 1

(b) being led along the journey of life by fate and not knowing what the future has in store
  • this is the focal point of verse 2 and foreshadows what will be some component of the content of verse 2

(c) doing everything to live a long life
  • this third aspect could have been used as the focus for a bridge if I wanted to include one
  • in this regard, this could have foreshadowed the content of a bridge

After hearing verse 1, it is the first part of the chorus that resonates most with the words of the verse.

Verse 2
Early in verse 2, while the song's character has no idea about what is to come, s/he can talk about where they have been or what they are doing. This gives some insight into the character's thinking. As such, it is a useful development tool.

Later in the verse when the character starts reflecting on possibilities of what is to come, we continue to gain insight into his or her thinking and so again, this is useful development.

The last four lines of verse 2 take on a philosophical, 'what is the meaning of life' perspective. Being philosophical nearly always strengthens development when used strategically. To enhance this more, I have added some phrases that have metaphorical elements with "Tomorrow is a haze of mystery", "rules of the highway", "standing straight and tall".

The above means that the progression of ideas get emotionally more intense as verse 2 unfolds. That is,

(a) where I've been

(b) what is going to happen

(c) philosophically and metaphorically considering the journey

Chorus 2
The words for the second chorus are identical with the words of the first chorus.

However, because of the insight that the listener has gained into the character's thinking during verse 2, listening to the chorus now causes the last three lines of it to resonate with meaning.

This is then amplified by repeating these last three lines after the character's resolution of "Whatever comes my way". (Repetition nearly always amplifies meaning.)

Hope these thoughts are useful.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. Lastly, I mentioned that the last line of the chorus and the concept of living as long as possible could be foreshadowing for a bridge. To boost emotional content of the bridge, I'd also consider ramping up the philosophy and metaphoric content

Had I chosen to add this extra section, a suitable bridge could have been something like...

Quote:
POSSIBLE BRIDGE
Every single step
Every single milestone
Every single day brings another smile

I've used the rhetorical device of anaphora (that is, the repetition of a phrase at the beginning of every line) to add emphasis. In addition, I've put the list of three items in climactic order and have tried to look at the 'big picture' of the journey. In my mind, the sequence of the above statements is like pulling the movie camera back from a close-up shot to a long distant shot.

Thus the lyrics for this song in a verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus format could have been something like below. (I encourage the reader to read these lyrics aloud as it makes gauging teh effectiveness of lyric movement and lyric development much easier.)

Quote:
THIS ROAD
©2017 Noel Adams, words and music, all rights reserved.

VERSE 1
Sometimes my legs get weary
And it hurts with every step I take
Sometimes I fall or stumble
But I keep walking, ‘cause that’s the only way
Travelling under blue sky and grey cloud
Leading me around every bend
This road is my livelong companion

CHORUS

VERSE 2
Always chasing that horizon
Seasons come and go beneath my shoe
What detours are waiting to surprise me?
How many mountains must I struggle to endure?
Tomorrow hides behind a haze of mystery
It’s mine to work with, whatever way it falls
While I’m bound by the rules of this highway
I try to travel standing straight and tall

CHORUS

BRIDGE
Every single step
Every single milestone
Every single day brings another smile

CHORUS

Whatever comes my way

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
This is an interesting, in depth analysis and a great demonstration Noel. A bit ironic to choose a song about a road to take us on our journey.

Thanks for posting such a detailed guide. Very helpful.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
What a great subject! And a BIG "thank you" for explaining the technique, showing it's workings and posting lyrics for example. Just awesome!

Quote:

I'm not sure why, but this line REALLY hits me. It's really a wake up call. Fantastic writing IMO. I mean, I understand it fits into the rhyme scheme and everything, but the power of this lyric is incredible! It makes you think.

Quote:
CHORUS

Ok, I will admit I'm a lyric freak. It's a strange addiction really.

One of my favorite things to do in arranging and writing is to set an expectation; then frustrate it momentarily...but then of course meet it for resolution.

Close to that would be meeting the expectation then adding a surprise. PLEASE don't take this as a critique. It's not that. I'm just curious YOUR thoughts on this, because I truly value them!

Right now your end rhyme scheme is hands/can.

I do also see the know/though. (Which I really like as well)

What are your thoughts on...

On this road, I plan to travel as far as I can (delayed) go

It's still keeping with the hands/can but, when not expecting it tying in a know/go for additional effect. Too much? Did it bring it to "nursery rhyme?"

I understand your melodic phrasing of know/though would have so much to do with how it all played out.

Like I said, not better or anything, just curious. I think I'm that way by nature. If anything, this would be a critique on MY thinking process. lol

Thanks for any input. As I think about it, if you would rather this be a private conversation, I will gladly remove the post. I don't want to derail your intent of the post.

Speaking of that. Thank you so much for the work you do in dissecting and explaining lyrics, music, arranging...all of it. There are very few people who are willing to take the time to open people up to a world of creativity and method like you are. Your gifts to the forum are greatly appreciated. I learn some things and am reminded of others.

Thanks Noel!

Last edited by HearToLearn; 01/22/18 03:56 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks for sharing this! It's some very useful information that is sometimes overlooked. Thank you for taking the time to break all that down.

I find these kind of techniques are what sometimes separate a good song from a great song. Impactful and memorable lyrics are very important!

Cheers,
Deryk
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Noel, Thanks for sharing such an in-depth look at your process. Of course, I can tell you've studied with Pat Pattison. I did take the online class a couple of times and always learn something new.
It was interesting hearing how you plan ahead and really think out the lyrics. Appreciate any critiques on mine if you ever want to (I know it's tricky to be constructive without being too critical).
But I did learn a few things from your post.

Songwriting
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
This is an interesting, in depth analysis and a great demonstration Noel. A bit ironic to choose a song about a road to take us on our journey.

Thanks for posting such a detailed guide. Very helpful.

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for having a read. I appreciate your tenacity!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
What a great subject! And a BIG "thank you" for explaining the technique, showing it's workings and posting lyrics for example. Just awesome!

Quote:

I'm not sure why, but this line REALLY hits me. It's really a wake up call. Fantastic writing IMO. I mean, I understand it fits into the rhyme scheme and everything, but the power of this lyric is incredible! It makes you think.

Quote:
CHORUS

Ok, I will admit I'm a lyric freak. It's a strange addiction really.

One of my favorite things to do in arranging and writing is to set an expectation; then frustrate it momentarily...but then of course meet it for resolution.

Close to that would be meeting the expectation then adding a surprise. PLEASE don't take this as a critique. It's not that. I'm just curious YOUR thoughts on this, because I truly value them!

Right now your end rhyme scheme is hands/can.

I do also see the know/though. (Which I really like as well)

What are your thoughts on...

On this road, I plan to travel as far as I can (delayed) go

It's still keeping with the hands/can but, when not expecting it tying in a know/go for additional effect. Too much? Did it bring it to "nursery rhyme?"

I understand your melodic phrasing of know/though would have so much to do with how it all played out.

Like I said, not better or anything, just curious. I think I'm that way by nature. If anything, this would be a critique on MY thinking process. lol

Thanks for any input. As I think about it, if you would rather this be a private conversation, I will gladly remove the post. I don't want to derail your intent of the post.

Speaking of that. Thank you so much for the work you do in dissecting and explaining lyrics, music, arranging...all of it. There are very few people who are willing to take the time to open people up to a world of creativity and method like you are. Your gifts to the forum are greatly appreciated. I learn some things and am reminded of others.

Thanks Noel!

Caaron,

Ever since reading the above, I've been pondering your comments and mapping out a response. You've given me a lot of food for thought and I really appreciate that.

Back in touch soon....

Noel

P.S. I've become a lyric freak too! and I love it smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195