Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I wanted to put up a post about how I got started using Band In A Box in order to help someone who is just getting started using the program to be be able to see the potential uses of BIAB for a musician and explain my procedure when composing a song.
I began using BIAB about 10 years ago after seeing some things online about the program and thought it might work for me. I had just accepted a staff position as a worship leader at a medium size church (250-300 people) and had been put in charge of all music. The problem I immediately encountered was that there were no available musicians to help me. This is where BIAB saved the day. I was able to quickly construct many professional sounding songs that I would be able to use in the services and play my guitar or keyboards along with and provide an excellent set of music for our church to sing along with. Unfortunately I still haven’t been able to team up with other capable musicians yet but BIAB has helped me keep great music going at church for the last 10 years. I have been able to put together songs for many of our talented singers to use for special music in our services also.
My procedure when using BIAB as I compose is as follows:
1. Get a song in mind and start auditioning styles that sound close to the sound you are looking for.
2. Substitute certain instruments within that style for others that may “fit” the song a little better . For example, you may find a RealDrums set that sounds closer to what the song needs instead of the original one in the style.
3. Make your settings for the song key, how many bars, tempo etc. and type in your chords for the song and setting the appropriate A/B part markers for verse and choruses.
4. Start playing the the song listening for changes that need to be made. It’s a good idea to start saving your work at this point often in case of a problem of some sort that would cause you to lose your work. You may try soloing drums and bass first getting your sound right and then “freezing” these tracks and then moving on to work on other instruments and follow the same procedure. This part of working with BIAB is the most time consuming but in my opinion, is what can set your song apart from from others who don’t focus on these details. The time spent here is well worth the effort.
4. Exporting - at this point you can save the song and export as is to SoundCloud or whatever site you prefer to send music to or you can do as I like to do by exporting each individual track to your preferred recording program to apply effects that you like to use on the tracks or record additional instrumentation or vocals to.
5. Video - at this point I like to export from my daw the final stereo file of my song to my favorite video editing program to get the song ready for using with our church media presentation program. I will arrange the videos in the proper order and run the audio out of the computer to our house system and the video out to the house projection system. This works like clockwork week after week.
All of this is a very basic explanation of how I use the program and I know that there are many users who use BIAB in far more sophisticated ways than I do. But I would estimate that I have arranged 500-600 songs using BIAB, the vast majority of which I have used in a public setting. Thanks PG Music for being my go to source for musical help and inspiration! My hope is that this post might help someone open their eyes to potential uses of the program that they might not have thought of. I could see the same type setup used for clubs, weddings etc. I invite any of the veteran users of BIAB to contribute any additional thoughts to this thread to help a beginner. We all can remember certain struggles we had in the beginning with BIAB and any helpful information could really brighten someone’s day. Happy composing!!! Thanks, Torrey

Last edited by Torrey Bliss; 01/21/18 01:59 PM.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome story! Very inspiring!

Thanks for sharing. smile

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Beginners Forum
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi Torrey
Great post on how you overcome a lack of musicians in Church.BiaB has so many varied uses.A guitarist in Church suggested I try out BiaB and wow its has contributed to something I never thought possible,me making songs,i never dreamed id be able ,thanks for the post Hugh

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Torrey,

That is a really great story. And, as Mike has already said, it's very inspiring.

I have no doubt that there will be many people on here who will benefit from your post.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Torrey,

Greatly enjoyed reading your story and how Band-in-a-Box is a tool you use daily in your work as a church music director.

Some questions about your workflow. You mention that after a song project is finished you import it into a video editing program. Do you use the video editing program to display song lyrics?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Jim, thanks for the kind words! I build my videos in the Sony Vegas video editing program and then render the video and save it to a folder on my computer. Then I pick the videos needed for a particular service and inset into the Media Shout program we use at church. Sorry I didn’t cover all of this but was trying to just cover the basics. Thanks, T

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
That is a great read! I would be interested in hearing some of the tracks, or even having you share some of them to we can import them....."Church / P&W" music is sorely under-represented in BiaB song format...

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Fantastic! What a great way to be using these tools. smile

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very interesting story about all the possibilities of how to use BIAB. I was never able to pursue my music early on, although I did learn to play the piano in my teens, but not really well. Raising a family and the need to earn a decent living over filled a lot of years. Then I fell in love with songwriting, but it was somewhat frustrating with the lack of musical technique, but then I found BIAB and it's really helped take my songs to the next level. I'm still really a beginner, been writing songs for about six years and have written over 250 songs so far. A lot of mediocre ones but I can see my progression and BIAB has made them much better, so I'm excited about the potential.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks jcspro40 for reading and commenting! I appreciate it! Due to copyright restrictions I can’t post these songs online without purchasing mechanical and sync licenses for them. Our church has purchased a blanket license for these which allows us to use these songs in the services. I do have videos up on YouTube under my name of my own material that gives an idea of what I am doing. Thanks again, Torrey

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Mike for reading and giving the thumbs up! I appreciate it! T

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the positive feedback Hugh! I'm convinced that with enough effort from the user, someone can coax just about any type of tune they want to out of this program and a convincingly professional one at that! T

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for reading and commenting Noel! I appreciate it! T

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Yup, this is great stuff. It ought to be pinned, or something.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thank you for sharing your story, Torrey smile It's very inspiring! I have no doubt others will gain a lot from what you've said here.

Cheers,
Deryk
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks HearToLearn for checking out this post and giving positive feedback! I truly appreciate it! T

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Belladonna for taking time to read this and contribute your thoughts! I have been keeping up with the music you post and it is noticeably getting better all the time! Your lyrics have always been great and your production skills are catching up! I have no doubt that you will be producing some really great material in the near future! Best to you in 2018! T

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks flatfoot for reading and commenting! I appreciate it! T

Beginners Forum
J
J
great songs and voice!

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I think BIAB is the best kept secret in audio production. Thanks for sharing your story and techniques.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195