You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#24272 - 05/25/09 05:32 AM [Styles and RealTracks Wishlist] PLease give us some Steely Dan!!!
tomko Offline

Loc: Paris
I have one wish, OK two, Steely Dan, (you could do 10 of them with no problem) and Van morrison....another 10.
Can't wait!!

#24273 - 05/25/09 09:02 AM [Styles and RealTracks Wishlist] Re: PLease give us some Steely Dan!!! [Re: tomko]
Donsta Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Waldorf MD
+1 for Steely Dan and Van Morrison

#24274 - 05/25/09 11:42 AM [Styles and RealTracks Wishlist] Re: PLease give us some Steely Dan!!! [Re: Donsta]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Check out the already existing "LA Pop" styles folder.

It is all Steely Dan specific.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#453675 - 01/25/18 02:56 PM [Styles and RealTracks Wishlist] Re: PLease give us some Steely Dan!!! [Re: Mac]
Swedish Pete Offline

Loc: Sweden
I'm using this old thread, because as a newcomer I was looking for something that sounds a bit like Steely Dan.

I just bought BIAB Mega 2018, and I dont get how to locate a style folder. When I use Style Picker all that come up is different styles. Does "LA Pop" styles folder come with the program, or is it something I must buy separately?

If I could get some help with this I would be most grateful.

#453847 - 01/26/18 11:04 AM [Styles and RealTracks Wishlist] Re: PLease give us some Steely Dan!!! [Re: tomko]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
This thread is almost 10 years old and the Style Picker interface was very different back then.

The LA Pop styles are "MIDI-Only" styles and are found in Style Set #73 (you can filter on that in the new Style Picker). Here is the description, along with demos, for that style set.

Hope that helps.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#454808 - 01/30/18 11:44 PM [Styles and RealTracks Wishlist] Re: PLease give us some Steely Dan!!! [Re: jford]
Swedish Pete Offline

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: jford
This thread is almost 10 years old and the Style Picker interface was very different back then.

The LA Pop styles are "MIDI-Only" styles and are found in Style Set #73 (you can filter on that in the new Style Picker). Here is the description, along with demos, for that style set.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot. I listened to those styles, and I quite like them, although they sound a little cheesy, because it´s all midi, but if I can figure out how to use external Vsti's, it should be fine.

However, when I filter on #73, the only style that comes up is a style called Brubek5, so I guess it's not included in Mega 2018.

I've just started out with this program, but I must say that I find this Style Picker very difficult to use, and the whole program to be a bit weird.

It sounds good though.

#454888 - 01/31/18 09:00 AM [Styles and RealTracks Wishlist] Re: PLease give us some Steely Dan!!! [Re: tomko]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
That's weird, because as I understand it, the 2018 Mega Pak should include all the MIDI styles, but Brubek5 isn't even listed as one of the style in style pak #73. So that's weird. Brubek5 is a style in set #54.

But make sure you clear any other filters first, then select the package to see all the content.

But, if you're not seeing all the MIDI styles, you might want to log into your account on the main PGMusic screen and re-download some of the program and re-install (of course after doing so, be sure to re-apply the latest update patch to bring you up to date). If your serial number is not registered, you may need to do so to see the content for your 2018 MegPak; you just enter your serial number and after it's registered, you should be able to see the content downloads.

And as you have discovered, the sound of the MIDI styles is only as good as the MIDI synth you are using to play it back.

Hope this helps.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#456572 - 02/09/18 01:40 AM [Styles and RealTracks Wishlist] Re: PLease give us some Steely Dan!!! [Re: tomko]
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Merkaz, Israel
Gonna chime in here, as Steely Dan is my ALL TIME FAVORITE band (my username comes from one of my favorite Steely Dan songs).

The thing about Steely Dan is how incredibly versatile they are. Now, my experience thus far is that BiaB--due to how it's programmed, structured and how its algorithms work--performs some styles/genres faultlessly, and others not so much. For instance, I find the metal styles terrible...but that's OK in my opinion, as metal music is extremely riff based. A measure that could be notated as an E5 chord (for lack of other more plausible options) might contain upward of a dozen notes with pinch harmonics and palm muted chromatic triplets. (I'm not kidding btw, next time you're at your local music store browse through a Pantera tab book).

Steely Dan has complex chords, incredible song structures, and assembles various stylistic elements into wonderfully unique arrangements.

Now this may be a very controversial opinion of mine, but 90 percent of the time I would strongly recommend AGAINST using the Stylepicker filter to make a cover song or backing track (and this applies not only to SD songs, but to many others). Yes, many times you will get a perfect match (Sultans of Swing), but I find that a lot of the recommendations are very far off.

Another caveat: as a general rule, the earlier the Steely Dan album, and the more likely it got/gets played regularly on the radio, the more likely you will find a good fit with the Stylepicker filter.

For instance, you will find perfectly serviceable matches for Reelin' in the Years and Rikki Don't Lose That Number, then you will find for Deacon Blues, Gaucho, or Third World Man. The former examples have simple bare-bones progressions. If I wanted to make a backing track for the latter songs, I would cherry-pick my Realtracks rather than trying to load a style.

Now that we're on the subject, I would love to know which particular SD songs you would like to find styles for, @Tomko.

#456588 - 02/09/18 05:36 AM [Styles and RealTracks Wishlist] Re: PLease give us some Steely Dan!!! [Re: DeaconBlues09]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

Now this may be a very controversial opinion of mine, but 90 percent of the time I would strongly recommend AGAINST using the Stylepicker filter to make a cover song or backing track

Yes, if you are expecting the stylepicker to give you an exact match, you will likely be disappointed unless it is a very basic, generic song.

What it is designed for, and in my opinion does a reasonable job, is to get you in the ballpark and give you a starting point. So, after you enter the song it will list all the styles that have a similar tempo, genre, and feel (ev8, ev16, etc.) and eliminate all the ones that could never possibly work.

In my case I don't think I've ever used a style right out of the box. Initially I'm looking for a good rhythm section, drums and bass, that match what I'm looking for. Once I have that I start auditioning the other instruments I need.

So, for me it saves a lot of time wading through styles that are not even close, which is what we had to do before they added the stylepicker.

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Latest song: No One Knows

PG Music News
Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is Here!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is here! PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 includes many new features and enhancements:

Windows Audio (WASAPI) driver support. This allows for low latency audio recording/playback without requiring ASIO. Note that this supports 1 stereo input plus 1 stereo output at a time. For multiple inputs/outputs, you should continue to use either MME or ASIO.

ABC Notation format support. You can save a track of notation in a popular ASCII text format to import into other programs, or you can paste this format into a user forum as a way of sending the track (usually the melody and chord symbols) to other users without having to attach a file.

The built-in Audio Chord Wizard detection in the Chords window automatically detects the chords of the song, based on the audio data from all non-muted audio tracks. This works similar to the standalone Audio Chord Wizard, except that it uses the current bar lines of the existing song.

Notation Enhancements:
-X/8 time signature support. This is a special method of displaying 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 time signatures in the Notation window.
-The Duplicate previous chord in notation right-click menu lets you quickly duplicate the previous chord (group of notes on same peg) without having to reenter it.
-Delete highlighted notes in notation right-click menu lets you delete all highlighted notes.
-Delete all notes on this peg in notation right-click menu lets you delete all notes on the nearest peg that was clicked on.
-You can now enter Section Numbers. Previously, you could enter letters (A-Z) only, but now you can also enter numbers (1-9).

...a full list of the new features in PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is available at http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.features.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

Forum Stats
27128 Members
49 Forums
50309 Topics
412876 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Stephanus L, thatsastrat, Michael R. Boyce, Pierrott, Albert Galathea

27128 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 260