Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is a new version of a song I originally posted in late 2012 when I first came to this forum.
Just my second song post at the time.
Listening to it recently I was struck with how "BIAB dated" it sounded to me.
...meaning my "old way of using BIAB".
Like many Country writers, when I first started using BIAB, the songs were heavy with fiddles and pedal steel. It was the first time I could ever get that! It's the main reason I bought BIAB in the first place! Fiddles! Pedal Steel!

So I decide to do a new production - more the way I do things now.
Still "Country", but heavy with Rock Guitars and Head-Banging Drums.
When I finished that, it still felt like "I've done a bunch of that lately".
Also, I had been doing the song at 125 bpm - which gave the lyric a tongue-in-cheek quality (intentionally).

I wanted something different.

So I slowed it down. To 85 bpm.
And did another whole NEW production
A new set of instruments to reflect a different idea of the lyric.

The new BAND:

RealTracks in style: 1825:Bass, Electric, PopModernGrooveHeld Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1595:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop8thsSteady Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~1638:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkBreezyMuted Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 2780:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Songwriter8thsBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2541:Pedal Steel, Background Mod
RealDrums in Song: BossaBrushesPerc^1-a:Congas, No Kit , b:Congas, Shaker, Triangle, No Kit

Beat created in Studio One Professional.

FOREVER'S NOT AS LONG AS IT USED TO BE

there's a picture on the wall that still tears me apart
of you and me inside a lipstick heart
"everlasting love" - your favorite shade of red
"this means forever" - that's what you said

forever's not as long as it used to be
   if it was you would still be here with me
   you promised me that - i took you at your word
   did it end a little early - i hadn't heard
   i thought that it was farther than anyone could see
   but it seems like forever's not as long
   as it was to be...

it's not something that you say at the drop of a hat
"i'll love you forever" can't be taken back
you swore it was true - even crossed your heart
so tell me where does the end of forever start

repeat chorus

did enternity finally wind down
has the world simply stopped spinning around

repeat chorus

Hope you enjoy this new version.
Comment's welcome.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Never heard the original, but this one is great! That Bossa percussion track is the cats meow.

Perfect headphone listen! I love how you have everything sitting in the mix.

Is the original it still up? Would be interesting to compare the two.

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

Reading down your post, I got quite excited at the point -
"Country, but heavy with Rock Guitars and Head-Banging Drums"
so a little disappointed not to get that version, I went to have a listen.

OK, so the rock might have been nice, but I was no longer disappointed with this version.
The new tempo suits the lyric perfectly and now I find it hard to imagine it up at 125.
Lovely backing track and as Dave said - "That Bossa percussion track is the cats meow."

A clever lyric, which is your trademark, and your usual professional vocal delivery.

Very classy production throughout.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, I never heard the original but this one sure is great! It's sounds like you made some very tasteful instrumentation choices here and your vocal just sets so nicely in the mix. The real star of this production for me are those top level lyrics! Man you are a very good country lyricist! Your rolling into 2018 with great material! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Nice lyrics Floyd and convincing delivery.
Had another listen.

Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Just lovely Floyd. Great job.

Very mellow. A nice change up.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Never heard the original, but this one is great! That Bossa percussion track is the cats meow.

Perfect headphone listen! I love how you have everything sitting in the mix.

Is the original it still up? Would be interesting to compare the two.

Hey, Dave! - I always mix in headphone first. And then finish (a little extra polish) through monitors - so it sounds good both ways - and that usually covers everywhere else.

Here is a link to the original. At the bottom of the page is "The 2012 Version"

http://floydjane.com/Songs/Forever.htm

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd,

Reading down your post, I got quite excited at the point -
"Country, but heavy with Rock Guitars and Head-Banging Drums"
so a little disappointed not to get that version, I went to have a listen.

OK, so the rock might have been nice, but I was no longer disappointed with this version.
The new tempo suits the lyric perfectly and now I find it hard to imagine it up at 125.
Lovely backing track and as Dave said - "That Bossa percussion track is the cats meow."

A clever lyric, which is your trademark, and your usual professional vocal delivery.

Very classy production throughout.

ROG.

Thanks for all of that, ROG.

For the "Rock Country" version check the link above that I posted for Dave and at the bottom of the page find "The other "new" version. THAT one should be played REALLY loud. It's all about the drums.... smile

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hey, Floyd, thanks for that link.

Just checked out the Rock version and guess what - now I don't know which I like best! I mean, it wasn't ZZ Top, but the guitars were great and it DID sound good loud. Maybe, as you've accused me of before, I'm just a guitarist!

So, different as chalk and cheese, but both work SO well.

Cheers, ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love this version of the song. Love the rhythm of the backtrack. It makes the song sound unique. Hard to place a label on it other than so Original and well done. Super vocal. I loved the way you place your instruments blended together so well.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd

The bossa feel and the Conga's sit absolutely perfectly with this.

You've creatively and masterfully re-engineered this song.

I really like the simplistic backing, it really seems like this was a great direction to take.

The pedal steel sits subtly and perfectly in the mix, retaining the song's country origins.

Excellent.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Your new, "mellower", version is awesome. It seems to convey the message of your lyrics a little better than the others.

Of course I loved the 2017 Rock & Drums version too!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I love the song - the original and this.

Good to hear you haven't completely abandoned those lovely strings and pedal guitar from BiaB - even if you did shift from fiddle to cello. smile

The percussion seems loud to me. That's not a complaint, but a realization that I'm one of those folk who you've been talking about who need to re-calibrate their ears.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Just had a listen to the original version. Pretty good too! But I like this new one much better, it sounds fresh and original to these ears.

Also had a listen to the "other" new version, it is also very good! It's an Apples and Oranges thing, I'm not sure which is my favorite to be honest.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great song, the idea and lyrics are compelling. You should be able to sell this

ProTools 12, Faderport 8, Melodyne, JBL monitors, Novation UltraNova, Yamaha MX49, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Rickenbacker 12, Ovation 12, Vox VT20X amp
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

Listened to all 3 versions. I think your latest (slower) version gives the music and lyric much better prosody - perfect match. This just so easy to listen to. A lot of people are gifted with talent - but few use that talent as effectively and creatively as you do. Virtually every one of your songs is an education in music creation and performance.

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Floyd, I never heard the original but this one sure is great! It's sounds like you made some very tasteful instrumentation choices here and your vocal just sets so nicely in the mix. The real star of this production for me are those top level lyrics! Man you are a very good country lyricist! Your rolling into 2018 with great material! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey - I really do appreciate that. Growing up as a songwriter, lyrics were what mattered most to me. Melody (and production) were always secondary... I had to learn to work that end later on. Might have been better to have thought about that at an earlier age. I think that is a big determining factor to the music we (as writer/artists) end up making...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
NO!!!!! Just NO!!! You can't be THIS good! Pick ONE thing and master it. Don't pick them ALL all master them! It's just not right!

So the forum starts a "many takes on the same lyric" idea, and you feel the need to just do your own version with JUST you? Really? lol

This is a prime example of how having a good lyric can both stand the test of time; but also work in many different feels.

I heard your original and thought "this sounds like a hit." It would have been that at that time; but also stills sound current. Great job!

Then I heard the "New Country" version, and thought..."oh wow. This could so work RIGHT NOW." No reference about it being from another time, just right now. Great job!

THEN I heard the slowed down version and thought "THIS is a great song." Man, talk about nailing it. SOOOOO good! The feel of this is incredible and completely gives you, I believe, the right emotion of the lyric. Just WOW!

Quote:
so tell me where does the end of forever start

Man....what a GREAT line! It's not just the actual lyric, but the build up to it AND where it is placed in the song. Powerful! That.Line.Hit.Me.

I haven't been in the actual situation of your song except for your song. What does that tell ya? That you can bring someone to somewhere they've never been with a craft. Incredible!

I think you need to go play golf for a while. wink Translation : Keep 'em comin'. I can't get enough!

Last edited by HearToLearn; 01/27/18 07:02 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Both are well produced, performed and styled,productions...But, More of a cowboy YYYEEEEEHAAA !!!! in the older one.

Last edited by beatmaster; 01/27/18 05:58 AM.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd

Enjoyed all 3 versions - enjoyable hearing the songs evolution.Great set of lyrics, liked the percussion track in the latest version, and the the slower pace does make the lyric sound more "sincere?".
Very nicely done.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,
I like the reflective lyrics and they really shine in the new version (great title by the way).
The percussion works very well - somehow you`ve made bongos sound "modern" and bringing in those pedal steel/cello "sweeteners" near the end is so nicely done.
Well worth the remodel!

Robert

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195