Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#454323 - 01/28/18 10:56 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: eddie1261]
Belladonna Online   content
Apprentice

Loc: Virginia
I'm probably in the C category, although I've been dabbling in music for a long time. Never could give it my full attention as family and other commitments took their time. I play piano and guitar, although probably not well, and I can read music and know a fair amount about theory. Not real great with technology, so that is also a challenge.

As far as cheating, someone wrote a book called good artists borrow and great artists steal. Really meaning that you get ideas from others and you make it your own.

As a visual artist, you can get a photo and have a projector project it onto your paper from which you can trace and then complete a painting or a graphite or charcoal shading. Have you cheated? You didn't really do it from scratch. You used a camera for the photo or you borrowed a photo from someone else. Maybe you changed the composition a little or maybe not. Yet, you had to know what colors to use, how to mix and apply the paint, have some expertise and fine motor skills to get something that looks professional.

There's also a professional artist who makes big money and he just comes up with the ideas. He has a staff of artists that actually do the paintings or drawings, but he signs them and copyrights them under his name. He considers his staff just tradesmen as he is the creative idea person.

So, those of us who use BIAB are we just tradesmen or are we the creative idea artists and musicians? What sets us apart from any other technician?

Edited by Belladonna (01/28/18 10:59 PM)

#454342 - 01/29/18 05:21 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: eddie1261]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
F on sax and wind synth (although I'm reluctant to use the term "monster" because I'm always striving improve and I know where I need to go).

E on vocals, guitar, bass, and flute, I could gig with these for pop/rock/country music, but not for a jazz gig.

D on keys and drums. I can double on these but not an entire gig. Keys? Mostly a weak left piano hand but I can hold chords or work synth joystick/wheels. Drums? I'm good but lack of stamina due to not playing them every day.

I currently make my own backing tracks and regularly play sax, wind synth, guitar, flute and vocals on the gig.

But I also find that the more I learn about music, even after decades of doing it for a living, I find that there is more to learn. When I learn something, I find two more things that are calling me.

Insights and incites by Notes.

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#454377 - 01/29/18 07:57 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: eddie1261]
jford Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Quote:

A. I have had zero music education in my life.
B. I do not play an instrument. All my songs are 100% software created.
C. I play an instrument but not all that well.
D. I play at a fairly proficient level.
E. I am a monster player.

I am a C+ on piano (although some would call me a D); I'm a C on guitar; I used to be a D on trumpet, but lack of playing over the years does not make for a very good embouchure.

I am not good a writing melodies or lyrics, but I'm pretty good with writing fill-in parts and melodic solos to enhance the melody line.

I don't play by ear, but I can sight read at the piano (as long as it's not too difficult, and even then, I can sometimes simplify it on the fly to accommodate my level of playing, and I can play a passable accompaniment off a chord chart (and sing along at the same time). I know my style of playing, while not very technically proficient, has touched people (which is what music should do), because they have told me so when they didn't need to tell me so.

I greatly admire those who are "monsters", but that doesn't shy me away from playing what I can. I just try to learn from them. If they don't want me playing along, I'm sure they'll tell me - not a problem. When I had my praise band at church, we had several folks who would occasionally sit in with varying degrees of ability. I just told them to play what they know. I wouldn't do that if it were a paying gig, but church family loves you regardless (or at least they should) and doing that helped build the confidence of several budding musicians who would have put their instrument away forever otherwise.

And thank goodness for BIAB to cover all the things I can't do or even fathom coming up with. Such a wonderful tool to create music.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#454390 - 01/29/18 08:33 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: eddie1261]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

D: I play at a fairly proficient level. I wouldn't be afraid to walk on stage with the big name players and singers in country music, on guitar, and hold my own. I made a living at this for a part of my life doing just that. I also have a fairly wide understanding of music theory.... you know... the book learning part.

Yep... Ive seen players who don't know what a key signature is or what chords are the basis of a given key.....

Regarding writing a song, Yep... I've heard the same or similar comments regarding BB/RB.... but if you have the best tools in the world and don't understand them or the theory and practical use, you can forget using them in an effective way.

Kinda like putting a home recording enthusiast into a multi-million dollar state of the art studio and turning him loose to record. The result will sound like he did it in his bedroom. By the same token, take a pro recording engineer and give him a laptop in a bedroom and he'll turn out something that will blow your mind.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#454398 - 01/29/18 08:49 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: Guitarhacker]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
But the other side of the coin Herb is when you DO play with schooled players who know their theory!! I played in a Motown band for 3 years that was nothing BUT formally trained musicians and that made it just a joy to go to work. One particular night it was 1:50 and we had no more desire to play another song, so I started playing some nonsense on the keyboard and the guitar player kicked in with it, then the bass player, etc. Just by holding up fingers, we came up with a progression. They knew that 2 or 6 meant it would be a minor, and by the second pass through they had the basic progression. Then the guitarist started substituting more elaborate chords, adding suspensions and things like rather than a straight Dm playing a Dm7 add 9, stuff like that. The 3rd time through the sax player took a solo. And on the 4th time I ad libbed some lyrics, put in some other solos.... We filled the last 10 minutes with that non-song, and the next week (we were a Sunday night house band) people ASKED for "that new song you closed with last week".

And we couldn't do it because even then I had no memory! LOL!!

Point being, I couldn't have done that with people who can only play "what's on the reeeecorrrrrd".... As I typed this in I thought about it and it has been over 2 years since I went out to see a copy band. No interest at all in people playing music that is on CDs I own. I buy CDs of the original bands when I see them play. There is one really good room within 5 minutes from my house that solicits original music bands and requests that 75% of their set be original. What I personally find particularly annoying is when people turn out CDs of their originals and then refuse to play them live. Isn't the idea of a songwriter playing live to give the crowd a sample of what they will get of they spend $12 and buy a CD?

And there we end up back at the "levels of listening" topic so I'll stop.

Edited by eddie1261 (01/29/18 11:12 AM)

#454399 - 01/29/18 08:51 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: Guitarhacker]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Quote:
”Kinda like putting a home recording enthusiast into a multi-million dollar state of the art studio and turning him loose to record. The result will sound like he did it in his bedroom. By the same token, take a pro recording engineer and give him a laptop in a bedroom and he'll turn out something that will blow your mind.”

I had the enormous privilege of having a Grammy-nominated recording engineer do just that with my Sunn board and TEAC A2340-SX four-track RTR tape deck. As an experienced live sound engineer, I could do a lot; but he did more, and did it faster and better than I could. It was illuminating, to say the least!

R.

#454416 - 01/29/18 09:36 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: eddie1261]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I had no idea John played trumpet. Very cool. He heard me play my jazz compositions (written in BIAB) with a symphony orchestra.

Eddie, what’s a Dm7 add 0 ?
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile; [& 2017 Mac]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#454424 - 01/29/18 11:11 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: Matt Finley]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Eddie, what’s a Dm7 add 0 ?

LOL!!! A typo that I will fix!

#454425 - 01/29/18 11:14 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: eddie1261]
sslechta Online   content
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
That's a silent note.

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win10, Dell Precision T5400, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 32 GB Memory, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Interface

#454432 - 01/29/18 11:45 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: sslechta]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: sslechta
That's a silent note.

Or a chord embellishment that adds nothing to the song...

#454439 - 01/29/18 12:09 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: eddie1261]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
Everyone knows you can't add zero to a chord. You can only subtract it.

#454451 - 01/29/18 12:51 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: eddie1261]
jford Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Quote:
I had no idea John played trumpet.

Yep, I played first chair in our small Fort Knox High School Band in 11th and 12th grade, as well as my sophomore and senior year in college at North Georgia College (a well-respected military college). I didn't my junior year, because I was band master, so I directed/conducted the band instead (although I was not a music major).

I remember one time at all-district band, I played last chair in the "A" band (missed first chair in the "B" band by one smile - Hah!) Anyway, we were playing a jazzy kind of piece and it just wasn't sounding right. So the director started with first chair and had each person in turn play the solo, and each time, he'd say, "No, no, no! That's not how it should sound." And he got closer and closer to me (I think we had 9 trumpeters), and I'm going, "Oh, crap! If they can't do it, who am I?" Anyway, I played the part, and the director said, "YES! That's exactly how it's supposed to sound". I tell you, I got a lot of glares from up the line, but I got to play the solo at the concert.

Over the years, I've played a few times at church and accompanying a local community chorale on occasion. I just can't find the time to practice, so I've lost my embouchure and range, but I can still pick it up and finger the notes, although my tone leaves a lot to be desired. The "want to play" is there, but too many competing priorities.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#454473 - 01/29/18 02:28 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: eddie1261]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

I think part of why I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this is that I have never used BIAB. Never once. Only RB. Since the day I got the program I have used Real Band. That file incompatibility between the 2 programs was not fathomable to me. I had someone send me a BIAB chart once a few years back along with the MP3 of his song. I opened RB, imported it MGU (That's it, right? MGU from BIAB?), and RB completely regenerated that song so it sounded very little like the original MP3. The chord progression was the same but the chord voicings and the overall flavor was different. SO when Joanne said "Open melodist" I had no idea what she was talking about because I have never asked this software to create on its own.

Edited by eddie1261 (01/29/18 03:35 PM)

#454480 - 01/29/18 03:05 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: eddie1261]
KeithS Online   content
Expert

Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
How hard is it to work with a group when "Go to the 4th there" means nothing?

How much harder is it to say, “Play an ‘F’ there” than to say “Go to the 4th”? If I’m the guy in the room with the largest music vocabulary, hopefully I know more than one way to quickly communicate an idea to a musician with less formal training. If a person has no musical,talent at all, then there is no reason for me to waste my time making a song work; but If I’m collaborating with a talented amateur, I’ll find some way to communicate on their level to make it work. I don’t want to sound like Barney Fife.

Barney Fife: “I’m surprised at you, Andy. They want people who have had musical training. Why, suppose they ask Rafe to do something he don't know? Rafe, if they asked you to sing a cappella, could you do it?”
Windows 7 64 Bit, SONAR Platinum, Sony Vegas 13, Acid 7, Sony Audio Master Suite, Waves Horizon Bundle, Izotope Ozone 7 Advanced

#454489 - 01/29/18 03:46 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Just because I am curious [Re: KeithS]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: KeithS
“I’m surprised at you, Andy. They want people who have had musical training. Why, suppose they ask Rafe to do something he don't know? Rafe, if they asked you to sing a cappella, could you do it?”

Well, Barney, what if they asked YOU to sing a capella?

To answer your question, are professionals in any field not expected to know basic basics? I never met anybody in IT that called their mouse "the clicky thing". Had I told that guy "Play an F there", what would have happened on the next song when we were in E and I needed the 4th? Should I need to spoon feed things to professionals? The 4th is always the 4th note in a scale. The physical chord, obviously, changes depending on the key.

Note that this same guy told us twice every week for 12 weeks "I am going to go start taking theory lessons." On week 12 I told him "Jesus Christ. Either start taking theory lessons or stop telling us you are going to start taking theory lessons. Had you started when you said you were going to you'd have 11 weeks of theory lessons under your belt."

Had he come in and said "I don't know a lot of theory" I would have known how to speak to him when he needed some direction. And would have been happy to help him learn had he asked. But he chose to bluff and made the same mistakes every rehearsal. Mistakes should happen only once. Not just in music. In life.

(Says the guy who was married 3 times...)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is Here!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is here! PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 includes many new features and enhancements:

Windows Audio (WASAPI) driver support. This allows for low latency audio recording/playback without requiring ASIO. Note that this supports 1 stereo input plus 1 stereo output at a time. For multiple inputs/outputs, you should continue to use either MME or ASIO.

ABC Notation format support. You can save a track of notation in a popular ASCII text format to import into other programs, or you can paste this format into a user forum as a way of sending the track (usually the melody and chord symbols) to other users without having to attach a file.

The built-in Audio Chord Wizard detection in the Chords window automatically detects the chords of the song, based on the audio data from all non-muted audio tracks. This works similar to the standalone Audio Chord Wizard, except that it uses the current bar lines of the existing song.

Notation Enhancements:
-X/8 time signature support. This is a special method of displaying 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 time signatures in the Notation window.
-The Duplicate previous chord in notation right-click menu lets you quickly duplicate the previous chord (group of notes on same peg) without having to reenter it.
-Delete highlighted notes in notation right-click menu lets you delete all highlighted notes.
-Delete all notes on this peg in notation right-click menu lets you delete all notes on the nearest peg that was clicked on.
-You can now enter Section Numbers. Previously, you could enter letters (A-Z) only, but now you can also enter numbers (1-9).

...a full list of the new features in PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is available at http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.features.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

#TBT - The Beginning of Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box®

We released the much-loved Xtra Styles PAKs in August 2016! This release included 164 RealStyles for Jazz, Country, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter and worked with any Band-in-a-Box® 2016 or higher UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

Xtra Styles PAKs were such a hit... we couldn't stop making them! Since their introduction, we've released 3 more PAKs with a total of over 600 Xtra Styles in all!

Want to hear what other program users are doing with their Xtra Styles? Visit our Xtra STyles Contests forum to hear all the songs submitted during previous song contest we've had: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=102&page=1

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs and listen to their demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win.

Band-in-a-Box® Customer Feedback - Feel The Love!

Check out some great feedback we've received on our Facebook account from program users:

"I have been using Band-in-a-Box for years. It is the anchor of my music gigs as well as my fun in my studio. I have used other software but Band-in-a-Box is my main go to."
-Jack T.

"Love Band-in-a-Box. As someone who played professionally for 20 years and retired from live performing years ago, I still love music. Band-in-a-Box allows me to create fun arrangements which I can sing over or play over. There are THOUSANDS of different variations plus you can enter any chords you like and create any chart. It's also great for creating background tracks for videos and audio content for websites, training etc. And like everything else in the world . . . it may not be right for everyone. For those who love music and don't have the time to shed five or six instruments it's way cool."
-Vinnie R.

"This program has completely changed my playing for the good. I can experiment with playing chords and leads over various scenarios that I can quickly create and change. Love this program. I use it nearly every day."
-Dave R.

"I bought my first version in 1994 and have progressed to 2018 version. I use it to create backing tracks for live music performance. I currently have over 2,000 songs performance ready. If you can and type, and use mouse it will work for you."
-Roger M.

"The premiere reason for me for buying this program; it has given me the freedom to fully complete the foundation for my songs without the confinement of limited minded musicians. After the song concept is complete, it can then be presented those musicians to play as a cover song. Also writing a song with a band gives them partial ownership of your idea... not cool... especially since they may have fought your idea every step of the way.. Every member of an organized band should own a copy of this program to compose or to even give legitimate composition alternatives to the original songwriter."
-Paul V.

Thanks everyone!

Support for ABC Notation Format in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

ABC notation is the simple text-based notation system used by musicians worldwide to store chords, melody, and lyrics of songs. Now with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows you can open and save songs in ABC notation format!

To save the song in ABC notation format, press the [Save As] toolbar button and choose Save as ABC notation file from the menu. Once opened, select a track that you want to save and choose your other criteria - The [Copy to clipboard] button will copy the file to the clipboard (that you can then paste it into other programs). The [Save as File] button will let you type a name and select the destination in your hard drive.

Forum Stats
27120 Members
49 Forums
50284 Topics
412644 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Mike HP., camp_band, Feco, lhh169, Jaco79

27119 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 273
Matt Finley 265