Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#454257 - 01/28/18 02:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I'm considering getting a Mac Mini to learn more about Macs. I'm a former comp. sci. prof but I haven't used an Apple computer heavily since 1996. I don't need anything with any speed or power because I have my other Windows computers for that.

1. Can BIAB run successfully on the lowest-spec Mac Mini?

The specs are:
1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
4GB memory
500GB hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 5000

2. On a PC, we can run the free utility, Geekbench, to see the single-core score and compare to a recommendation from PG Music. Is there a comparable utility and recommended score for a Mac?

Thanks.

BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#454310 - 01/28/18 07:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
JayO Offline
Journeyman

Hey Matt,
I'm not sure what kind of performance to expect from that particular model, but luckily Geekbench is cross platform and there is a Mac version so you could actually compare "Apples to ...well... non-Apples, I guess" smile

There is also an app called MacTracker that runs on Mac and ios (http://mactracker.ca) that lists Geekbench scores for most Mac models.

I looked up the 1.4 i5 Mac Mini specs in Mactracker and it gives Geekbench 4 scores of 2966 for single core, and 5223 for multi-core.

Hopefully this helps.

- Jay

#454320 - 01/28/18 10:10 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
Mike Halloran Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sillie Con Valley, California
You didn’t Say what year yours is but any i5 Mini can run the latest OS. It’s not as fast as an i7 for many tasks but it’s more powerful than the bottom of the line Core Duo versions that are past end of life for many apps—but not BIAB.

As BIAB is still 32 bit only, the system and OS requirements shouldn’t be much of an issue. As it turns out, they’re not:

BIAB Mac System Requirements

System Requirements

Mac OS X 10.5 and higher.

Intel Processor.

Minimum 512 MB RAM

Screen Resolution: 1024x768 or higher

At least 2 GB recommended for the main Band-in-a-Box® program. More space is required for RealTracks, depending on which package you buy...

RealTracks & RealDrums: ~100-400 MB per set

Pro RealCombos: ~10 GB

MegaPAK RealCombos: ~20 GB

Full UltraPlusPAK/EverythingPAK when installed to internal hard drive: ~100 GB
(another ~90GB is required for the installation files when downloading the UltraPlusPAK or EverythingPAK)

Hard Drive versions of the EverythingPAK or UltraPlusPAK do not require any hard disk space when run directly from the external hard drive they are shipped on.
Optical drive for shipped versions of the Pro or MegaPAK version.

#454407 - 01/29/18 09:15 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Thank you both; great info. I’m all set.

I would be buying a new Mac Mini. It does look like it’s well beyond minimum specs for BIAB. That 2966 Geekbench score is higher than I would have thought. On a PC, the only folks who report problems seem to be below 1700 or so.

About the Core 2 Duo, yes, I still have one of those and it does run BIAB fine. I just use the slow PC options in Preference, RealTracks.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#454467 - 01/29/18 01:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
JayO Offline
Journeyman

No problem Matt, I was a bit surprised by those numbers too.

Although It's kind of depressing to think that the entry level Mini has slightly better single core performance than my top of the line 8 core Xeon from just a few years earlier.

Ah well, I reckon that's what's called progress.
I see no performance problems with running BIAB on that setup, as long as like Mike said you have enough disk space and RAM.

4 Gigs of RAM should be sufficient, although I would think that 8 would be better.
I upgraded my 2011 Mini to 8 Gigs a while back and it did make a noticeable difference.
Hopefully it is upgradeable and not soldered to the motherboard like the laptops are.
Much cheaper to do it after the fact, IMHO, than to pay Apple's outrageous prices for RAM upgrades.

- Jay

#454475 - 01/29/18 02:41 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

The RAM above 4GB would help me only if I used a software synth, and I have a spare Roland Fantom XR. I assume in the Mac world a 32-bit program can’t address more than 4GB unless JBridge or some equivalent works.

#454490 - 01/29/18 03:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
JayO Offline
Journeyman

You are exactly right Matt, as long as you are just running BIAB you shouldn't have an issue.
I was forced to use my Mini exclusively for a couple of weeks about a year ago, while my main machine was broken and waiting for parts.

Where I really noticed the big slowdowns, (with 4GB) was when I was running both BIAB and Garageband, to drag and drop tracks from BIAB to GB (something I do a lot).
I'm thinking a SSD would have helped a lot too, since IMHO that little laptop 5400 RPM drive is definitely the weak link in the Mac Mini.
Switching from one app to another with 4GB was painfully slow, you could hear that little drive working like crazy to page all that VM to and from the disk.

Since I was only using the Mini temporarily, I didn't transfer all my plugins over, but I imagine using a lot of plugins could affect performance as well (especially "jbridging" 64-bit plugins as you said).

For just messing around with BIAB itself you should be fine, but for serious work I would consider upgrading the RAM.

Just my $.02 though, YMMV, I'm not trying to talk you out of it (really I'm not). smile
Hopefully it should be enough RAM for what you want to do then.

- Jay

Edited by JayO (01/29/18 03:50 PM)

#454507 - 01/29/18 05:00 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Thanks Jay. The primary reason is to reacquaint myself with Mac OS so I can assist my wife who uses her Mac for everything. I just thought, why not put something I really like on mine? Otherwise playing with it would be boring.

I was fully checked out on Apple computers from 1977 to 1996. I used an Apple in the early 90s to do music notation, but then the program was released for the PC.

I figure one or two things may have changed since 1996.

#454552 - 01/29/18 07:49 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
Mike Halloran Offline
Enthusiast

Going forward, the Mini is dead but the late 2012 i7 Quad is a kickass little machine. All 4 models can be upgraded to 16G RAM and a 2T SSD—you can drop two 2T SSDs into the Server versions without adapters. FireWire, USB 3, Thunderbolt and HDMI ports.

Minis on EveryMac

Unfortunately, Apple toned it down for late 2014 with dual processors instead of quad and non-upgradable, soldered RAM. It’s not a bad machine but pales in comparison to the 2012.

#454715 - 01/30/18 12:42 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Thanks. I know it’s a dead model. It will do for my purposes.

The original Mac Mini was quite a surprise, though.

#454970 - 01/31/18 03:00 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Just a followup.

I bought a very nice old iMac for $400. It has a 2.5 Ghz i5, 4 GB RAM (room for 4 more), 21.5" screen (lovely!!), 2 TB drive, and even a CD player. I'm writing this on it. High Sierra 10.13.2.

I connected my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (1st gen) and all is good.

BIAB runs fine.

#455617 - 02/04/18 11:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
Mike Halloran Offline
Enthusiast

$400 is a great price. The 21.5” iMac will last through the next OS at least—after that, I don’t know but I expect quite awhile.

Because it has to be dissembled, it is difficult to upgrade these to an SSD and install more RAM but any Mac tech can do it. The speed increase is more than worth it when the time comes—which it will as the heat cooks hard drives.

#455660 - 02/04/18 03:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Thanks Mike. I already upgraded to 8GB RAM.

Yes, an SSD would be great, and I have put one in every PC. Apparently to do it on this iMac, I would have to take the monitor apart. Luckily, the Apple dealer is nearby.

Boy, it does spend a lot of time with a beachball doing updates. I just connected it to the Internet and I've read High Sierra takes hours for some people to finish these actions. I disabled the iCloud and things are better.

#455902 - 02/05/18 09:25 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
Mike Halloran Offline
Enthusiast

High Sierra is faster and smoother. Apple’s desire to have you store all documents and data on the cloud is just nuts for most of us. I disabled that pronto.

This is not to be confused with using iCloud to share Contacts, Notes and Photos among your various devices—that works quite well. The other requires fast, reliable internet at all times—no thanks especially when storage is so cheap.

You don’t say what year your iMac is. All are fairly easy to get into if you’re ok with tools and have a little patience. I do this job one-handed (no joke—I lost the use of my left arm in 2009) but, if not comfortable with the idea, have it done.

Late 2009–2011 use magnets and screws while 2012-on use pre-cut double-stick foam tape. In both cases, tools and the kits are readily available as well as the adapter bracket and special heat sensor from OWC.

Here are the instructional videos. Find the correct year for yours.
OWC iMac Install Videos

There are 2 heat sensors: 2009–2010 and 2011-on. They are not interchangeable nor are the optional (the software solutions cause the Mac to roar during startup and you have to control internal temperatures manually—not a solution in my book). OWC sells them with and without toolkits.
iMac Drive Heat sensors

Besides the SSD, this is the bracket:
iMac HHD to SSD adapter

As much as I like the Samsung 850 EVO, the new Crucial MX500 is nearly as good and quite a bit less. The 2T is $499 on Amazon and has a 5 year warranty. The MX300 is ok but is a little slower and has a 3 yr warr. — if the price is good, I wouldn’t hesitate.

Edited by Mike Halloran (02/05/18 09:29 PM)

#455989 - 02/06/18 08:45 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: Minimum specs to run BIAB on a Mac [Re: Matt Finley]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Again, thanks Mike. I should have posted that I added 4 GB and the beachballs went away. All is good now and plenty fine for my purposes of just learning MAC OS to help my wife on hers. BIAB 2017 works very well.

I've built all my own PCs - dozens - since 1983 so I could tackle such a project with ease if needed, but my local Apple dealer is a wiz and I'll probably just have him do it since this would be new to me. I won't pay more for the SSD than the whole iMac, though! By the way, you asked: it's a Mid-2011.

We can sign off this thread. I'm all set, thanks to some great help here. Appreciate it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends May 31st!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Everything You Need to Know in Under 5 Minutes!

Want to quickly see the new features included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac in action?

Check out this video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® ! Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes*: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=XSSQpijRyxk

*The video includes an extra 2 minutes for the 49-PAK! The first 5 minutes show you all of the great new features and content available with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, and it's followed by additional video showing off the 2018 49-PAK for Mac.

Xtra Styles PAKs are ON SALE until May 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 was initially released with our Windows version of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, and with the release of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we're having a sale!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

We've put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE until May 31st! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 45 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is here, and there's more than 80 new features! We've answered some user requests with this release, including:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I use the feature to make a video of the chord sheet from a Band-in-a-Box song. I use it to make backing tracks and upload them to YouTube. But these don't include any notation for the melody and lyrics of my songs. My viewers would like to see the melody and lyrics too. Is there a way you can include the melody in the video? I've tried recording this with screen capture programs, but it's time consuming, recording in real time, and the audio quality and sync are not that good.

A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box 2018 can do this now. You can save your song as a video of the notation track. So that includes the notation, guitar tab, and lyrics. And saving the whole video and audio just takes a few seconds, much faster than real time recording. Just load in your song with chords, melody, lyrics, and/or guitar tab, and press Save-As Notation Video. Your song will be up on YouTube in no time!

Q. I am songwriter and uses Band-in-a-Box to make backing tracks for my productions. I'm starting to make videos and upload them to YouTube. Can Band-in-a-Box help with my production videos?

A. Band-in-a-Box 2018 can now make videos with Video RealTracks, of the musicians performing the RealTracks. And they are playing along to your song's chord progression. You can include these videos in your own song performance, which adds a nice visual element.

Q. I use the Audio Harmonies in Band-in-a-Box. But I find the harmonies simplistic, in that they are mainly using chord tones. The Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmonies are more sophisticated, using passing tones. Why can't my Audio Harmonies work like that?

A. We've added support for new types of Audio Harmonies in the Audio Edit Window. These do allow you to choose any Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmony that has passing tones or sophisticated jazz voicings (adding 4 parts to make a 5-part jazz voicing for example). Band-in-a-Box automatically figures out the MIDI version of your melody so it uses this to create the harmonies.

Q. The new toolbar is nice, but needs more color options. Too much grey! How about skins?

A. We've added support for skins, and you can choose color or grey scale options for toolbar, mixer etc.

And more!!!

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Forum Stats
27507 Members
50 Forums
51803 Topics
427986 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
jcbush13, Bernman48066, jycjones01, BOSS RV-3 DD/R, bcprods

27507 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 436
zedd 193