Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RichMac

Nice lyrics Floyd and convincing delivery.
Had another listen.

Cheers.

Thanks, Richard...

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Just lovely Floyd. Great job.

Very mellow. A nice change up.

From one mellow guy to another... thankya...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tempo is everything regarding the feel of a song. As you once said even a few bpm's makes a difference. This is a big jump in tempo and the results showcase a huge difference in the conveyance of the lyric. Way mo betta than the previous versions. Good use of the cello and a light sprinkling of steel in all the right spots. Nicely done in all writing, production and performance aspects. The best part and a real lesson to us all is how you took a good song and elevated it to a really good song, Tom

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Really good write. Powerful word play. Creative use of percussion to set the mood. And smooth flow in the arrangement.

great song!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

I don't remember this song, but I love what you have done here... Your delivery as always is flawless and the production is so crisp. The congas are an excellent touch for the drums.

Again, loved it.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hey, Floyd, thanks for that link.

Just checked out the Rock version and guess what - now I don't know which I like best! I mean, it wasn't ZZ Top, but the guitars were great and it DID sound good loud. Maybe, as you've accused me of before, I'm just a guitarist!

So, different as chalk and cheese, but both work SO well.

Cheers, ROG.

Nice of you to check out the other one, ROG...

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Love this version of the song. Love the rhythm of the backtrack. It makes the song sound unique. Hard to place a label on it other than so Original and well done. Super vocal. I loved the way you place your instruments blended together so well.

Appreciate that, Scott..

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Floyd

The bossa feel and the Conga's sit absolutely perfectly with this.

You've creatively and masterfully re-engineered this song.

I really like the simplistic backing, it really seems like this was a great direction to take.

The pedal steel sits subtly and perfectly in the mix, retaining the song's country origins.

Excellent.

Trev - thanks for dropping in and for such nice comments. Always appreciate it..

Originally Posted By: sslechta
Your new, "mellower", version is awesome. It seems to convey the message of your lyrics a little better than the others.

Of course I loved the 2017 Rock & Drums version too!

Thanks, Steve. The slower speed gave the lyric a "different meaning" than the original... that was the intent. Thanks for listening...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I love the song - the original and this.

Good to hear you haven't completely abandoned those lovely strings and pedal guitar from BiaB - even if you did shift from fiddle to cello. smile

The percussion seems loud to me. That's not a complaint, but a realization that I'm one of those folk who you've been talking about who need to re-calibrate their ears.

Always appreciate you stopping by, David. These drums could come down a hair (0.1 dB maybe, smile )... what can I say?.... smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, floyd

I never heard the original but this one is really nice!
Conga is very effective.
Your vocal is very pleasant as usual.

It is fun to recreate old works.
I also often remake my old works.
Because the style of the song does not overlap with the current myself.
But it is difficult to judge which one is better by myself.
So I also post it to this forum.

Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Just had a listen to the original version. Pretty good too! But I like this new one much better, it sounds fresh and original to these ears.

Also had a listen to the "other" new version, it is also very good! It's an Apples and Oranges thing, I'm not sure which is my favorite to be honest.

Thanks, Dave! Wasn't expecting folks to listen to all 3. It's hard enough to try to keep up on the forum these days - there is SO much music being presented... takes a lot of time to catch 'em all...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That must have been just before we joined here.
Love the song, but a little bit more verb on the vocal would have been nice, but that's just our opinion smile

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
great one,

love the write, flows effortlessly

nice bridge

enjoyed,

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Will Rockwell
Great song, the idea and lyrics are compelling. You should be able to sell this

Will - it is nice of you to drop in for a listen and comment... Selling songs these days is a monumental effort... Thanks.

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - you nailed this! From the simple structure, to the passionate vocals, to the off kilter drums - this is a truly unique, and just a great song. It’s an ear worm in the most sophisticated way, if that makes any sense. I don’t listen to a lot of country - but this sort of style within the genre is what really draws me in. It sounds sincere and heartfelt, both in the music and the vocal delivery. The lyrics are the cherry on top.

You outdid yourself - thanks so much for sharing this smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd,

I found this version of your song a wonderful listen.

The mood that you’ve managed to create is one of reflection edged with sentimentality and wistfulness. At no time, though, do these words become weighted with either regret or bitterness. The topic matter has certainly been handled with adept penmanship.

The lyrics, your singing, the melody and the arrangement all work together like the sections of a classical orchestra and create a really fine and very satisfying overall musical journey for the listener. The clarity of the final mix is outstanding. There is no hint of muddiness nor harmonic ambiguity anywhere. At the end of the song, I simply sat there pondering everything you’d sung and how you'd presented it. That’s a wonderful testament to your abilities.

The singer/songwriter feel that, at least to my ears, seems to be the foundation stone upon which the presentation is built is an extraordinarily good choice for the production. It boosts the song's ability to resonate with sincerity and honesty.

Through my speakers, everything that I heard was

Not so long ago, I was reading through an article on literary terminology and one of the topics that I’d just finished reading when I first listened to your song was about Connotation. This is to do with choosing words appropriately to help amplify meaning of surrounding words. As I’m sure anyone who reads this can appreciate, this is the proverbial ‘bread and butter’ of lyric writing. Maybe it was because of my reading that when I heard “Everlasting red” in the first verse, light bulbs flashed inside my mind. This is SUCH a good use of connotation.

The classic image of names in a red lipstick heart; not just an ordinary red lipstick heart, though. This shade is called ‘everlasting’ red! What a skilled play on words, too! The sense of ‘everlasting’ as the lipstick is permanent as well as the love that the heart conveys. Most importantly, though, "everlasting" is the pivot to "forever" and amplifies and foreshadows the hook so incredibly well. However I look at it, this is connotation at its very, very best.

Once again, I have thoroughly enjoyed the musical and lyrical journey on which you have taken me. Thank you.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd,

Listened to all 3 versions. I think your latest (slower) version gives the music and lyric much better prosody - perfect match. This just so easy to listen to. A lot of people are gifted with talent - but few use that talent as effectively and creatively as you do. Virtually every one of your songs is an education in music creation and performance.

Alan

Alan - I really appreciate that...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Two thumbs up from me.

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
NO!!!!! Just NO!!! You can't be THIS good! Pick ONE thing and master it. Don't pick them ALL all master them! It's just not right!

So the forum starts a "many takes on the same lyric" idea, and you feel the need to just do your own version with JUST you? Really? lol

This is a prime example of how having a good lyric can both stand the test of time; but also work in many different feels.

I heard your original and thought "this sounds like a hit." It would have been that at that time; but also stills sound current. Great job!

Then I heard the "New Country" version, and thought..."oh wow. This could so work RIGHT NOW." No reference about it being from another time, just right now. Great job!

THEN I heard the slowed down version and thought "THIS is a great song." Man, talk about nailing it. SOOOOO good! The feel of this is incredible and completely gives you, I believe, the right emotion of the lyric. Just WOW!

Quote:
so tell me where does the end of forever start

Man....what a GREAT line! It's not just the actual lyric, but the build up to it AND where it is placed in the song. Powerful! That.Line.Hit.Me.

I haven't been in the actual situation of your song except for your song. What does that tell ya? That you can bring someone to somewhere they've never been with a craft. Incredible!

I think you need to go play golf for a while. wink Translation : Keep 'em comin'. I can't get enough!

How could one not like THAT review? Thanks, Caaron. It's too cold for golf... smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
There’s so much packed in a relatively short lyric. A very memorable hook supported by rich imagery, e.g., “lipstick heart.”

Janice said the entire song reminds her of James Taylor. She further says it reminds her of his album “Gorilla.”

It’s remarkable how different the latest version is and how well it speaks the same lyric - heartbreaking still...even more so.

This version really "rips the paint right off of your heart" as Randy used to say.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Both are well produced, performed and styled,productions...But, More of a cowboy YYYEEEEEHAAA !!!! in the older one.

beatmaster - thanks for stopping by...

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
I like the reflective lyrics and they really shine in the new version (great title by the way).
The percussion works very well - somehow you`ve made bongos sound "modern" and bringing in those pedal steel/cello "sweeteners" near the end is so nicely done.
Well worth the remodel!

Robert

Thanks, Robert. Appreciate that...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Enjoyed all 3 versions - enjoyable hearing the songs evolution.Great set of lyrics, liked the percussion track in the latest version, and the the slower pace does make the lyric sound more "sincere?".
Very nicely done.

Peter

Peter - I just noticed that I "jumped over" your comments. It was not intentional by any means, but I apologized, nonetheless (makes me wonder if I've done that before and offended someone... there seem to be a number of people here who act as though I have offended them somehow - how, I have no idea...).

Thanks for taking the time to listen to all 3 versions - though, I did not intend that at the start... I agree that the slow-down gave the lyric a bit more "heart" - one of the reasons I re-did it... Thanks, again..

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195