You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#454921 - 01/31/18 12:20 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early)
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Hi, I am putting in what I call click tracks on tracks 5 and 7. They are either piano or guitar that basically play on the beat so if our jam group has a full rhythm section but is having trouble with speeding up I can put one of these click tracks in to prevent speeding up. The click tracks match the count in perfectly. However I noticed the highlighting of the bar in the chord window actually jumps the beat by 1 full beat (it highlights the bar on beat #4 in 4/4 time when it should highlight it on beat #1). Its a bit confusing. So I decided to make sure the melody was playing and I pulled up the leadsheet. I have not done this in a while. I seem to remember it would highlight the note but maybe I am wrong. Either way it does not highlight the note. However it does highlight the bar with a thin red outline. It is highlighting the bar at least 2 or 3 beats late while at the same time playing the notes perfectly. I don't remember it doing this in the past when I was using BIAB 2012 but maybe I just didn't notice it. Is this a bug? Is it doing it on everyone's 2016 BIAB and later? Knowing how accurate computers are and how fast they run to me this would seem like it is a bug.

Extra Note:
In the past when using BIAB 2012 I was using Midi tracks. I just pulled up a 12 bar blues that I had left as all midi tracks except for the drums and a cow bell click track I had put in. I muted these two tracks. The bar highlight is still jumping by almost a full beat. I was trying to remove these real tracks from the style but I am not sure how to do this.

Thanks,
John

Edited by bowlesj (01/31/18 04:15 PM)

#454925 - 01/31/18 12:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early) [Re: bowlesj]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Yes, it might be a timing mismatch between MIDI and audio. Is (are) the click track(s) MIDI? And are the other backing tracks audio (RealTracks)?

There is a timing adjustment you may need to make in Preferences, Audio (I think). It plays both MIDI and audio and you increase the timing until they match.

What are you using for the output device of your MIDI sound? A hardware synth, or a DXi / VSTi?
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile; [& 2017 Mac]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#454941 - 01/31/18 01:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early) [Re: Matt Finley]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Hi Matt,

The click tracks are real tracks. Actually all the tracks are real tracks except the melody track which is normally muted. I was trying to get a 100% midi style set up but I can't quite figure out how to do that (can't figure out how to remove the drums real track from the style for this song). Earlier I had a cow bell click track which is also a real track. I put it in track 7 and I can't figure out how to clear that track so it is blank.

Anyway I am not too strong on audio and drivers. I thought I would attach some pictures. I went through everything that seems related to what you said and captured 10 png images. I had to spread them over 2 posts starting with this one.

Attachments
1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

Edited by bowlesj (01/31/18 01:24 PM)

#454942 - 01/31/18 01:12 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early) [Re: bowlesj]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Some more images.

Attachments
6.png

7.png

9.png

11.png

Edited by bowlesj (01/31/18 01:23 PM)

#454945 - 01/31/18 01:38 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early) [Re: bowlesj]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

I just tried it on the desktop and it is not doing it. It is only doing it on the notebook. On the desktop the chords sheet bars are highlighting dead on and the lead sheet both has notes highlighting dead on as well as the bar is being highlighted correctly. They are both I5 machines. The desktop is Win7 with solid state disk and the notebook is win10 with regular disk. The colors in the lead sheet are different too (red highlight of the lead sheet bar in the notebook and blue highlight of the lead sheet bar on the notebook. Same BIAB and they are both 438. I guess I have to go through all these screens and compare them across the machines.

Edited by bowlesj (01/31/18 02:16 PM)

#454951 - 01/31/18 02:02 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early) [Re: bowlesj]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
John,

Does your computer have a soundcard?

It's very strange that you have no output midi drivers.

In the past, BIAB can behave a little unusually if MS Wavertable Synth is not selected as the output driver (even though one has the VSTi/DXI synth active).

As a comparison, have a look at my set up below.

Attachments
coyote WT and audio settings.JPG

#454960 - 01/31/18 02:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early) [Re: Noel96]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Hi Noel,

I attached the device manager display for my computer. I have to use a magnifying glass to read the items once they get uploaded to the forum display :-)

It certainly has sound. I currently have two medium quality old speakers attached to the headset 1/8th inch stereo plug (same output I use to feed my mixer during the jams). It is a notebook I bought about 14 months ago with no special changes (right out of the box). It is an MSI gaming computer.

I checked your Midi/Audio Drivers Setup screen on the desktop where things are working properly. It is showing "Microsoft Midi Mapper" and Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth under the MIDI Output Driver column. Again the notebook is Win10 and the desktop is win7. My question is should I run the driver wizard?

Attachments
Hardware.png

Edited by bowlesj (01/31/18 02:34 PM)

#454962 - 01/31/18 02:39 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early) [Re: bowlesj]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

John,

Yes. I suggest running the driver wizard and set up things exactly as I have for 2 - 7.

Selecting "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" (#2 on my previous image) for the Output MIDI driver has been known to solve problems.

Regards,
Noel

#454976 - 01/31/18 03:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early) [Re: bowlesj]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
What are you using for the output device of your MIDI sound? A hardware synth, or a DXi / VSTi?

I guess the attached screen answers your question Matt except as Noel pointed out there is no midi sound output.

I clicked the "Run Driver Wizard" and BIAB locked up so I cancelled with with the windows task manager (maybe I was too impatient). I tried again and it did the same thing.

I created a new song and I found a 100% midi style (assuming blue bass and blue piano and yellow drums is all midi). It is quoted below. The chord window still highlights the bar early exactly on beat #4 rather than beat #1 as it should.

Quote:
M_JAZMID.STY. Medium Jazz Swing w/ Piano
All MIDI. Trio. Tempo=140 (50-300)
M1 Standard Drum Kit
MIDI ST1917: Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Sw 110 , Miles Black
MIDI ST1896: Piano, Rhythm Jazz Sw 110 , Miles Black
Memo: Medium Jazz swing style with acoustic bass & piano MIDI SuperTracks & ZZJAZZ MIDI drums. Bass plays 'in-2' at A, then switches to a walking pattern at B.
ExamplesSatin Doll, Sweet Georgia Brown

Could it be that Win10 does not have these drivers? Maybe a google search would answer that or do they come with BIAB?

Attachments
7.png

Edited by bowlesj (01/31/18 03:39 PM)

#454979 - 01/31/18 03:34 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early) [Re: bowlesj]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

John,

If BIAB locked up, that usually suggests that as user has not run BIAB in administrator mode. This is a different mode than simply logging into Windows as Admin.

I seem to recall that you have this set. That said, however, it's possible an update or two has modified the setting.

To test to see if this is the case, close BIAB, right-click on the startup shortcut and choose "Run as administrator". Now try the sound settings. Does it still lock up?

Regards,
Noel

#454983 - 01/31/18 03:48 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early) [Re: Noel96]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

I did that Noel and unfortunately it still locks up. This time I timed it at 3 minutes and 20 seconds before I cancelled it.

I just did a Google search "Microsoft Midi Mapper Windows 10 download". I have not read anything yet except a heading "What happened to Midi Mapper on Windows 8 (and later)?" | Coolsoft
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/blog/2013/03/what-happened-midi-mapper-windows-8

I just tried "Best Midi Mapper for windows 10".

I just sent an email to a friend who runs BIAB on Win 10 to see if he has a midi driver and if so where he got it.

Edited by bowlesj (01/31/18 04:30 PM)

#455007 - 01/31/18 07:41 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early) [Re: bowlesj]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

John,

I'd try returning BIAB to factory default settings.

Under the Options menu, select "Return to factory settings" and then select the "ALL settings" option. Now restart BIAB. This will cause BIAB to set up midi drivers. (The "MOST settings" option will not cause midi to be reset.)

Out of curiosity, do you have anything linked to BIAB or to audio via USB or some other external connection? If so, disconnect that while trying to solve the problem.

Lastly, have you fully restarted you computer rather than simply logging off? A number of people on here have reported that sometimes with Windows 10 a full shutdown and restart solves a problem.

Let us know how you go.

Regards,
Noel

#455031 - 02/01/18 02:47 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Chord window highlight jumps the chords (early) [Re: Noel96]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Noel.

Resetting to factory settings fixed the original problem but it did not put in any MIDI drivers. The Midi drivers missing does not seem to be a problem since it still sounds good. Not only did it fix the chord window highlighting the window on bar #1 it also fixed the notes appearing on the lead sheet page. However the lead sheet bar is not highlighted until the last note of the bar is highlighted which is probably wrong but not a problem for me at least since I never use this feature (we are always playing the melody).

I will have to keep a list of things to reset every time I perform this procedure since it seems to be a regular problem with BIAB. I had to do this once or maybe twice before.

To answer your questions;
I have never had a USB device hooked to my computer for audio purposes. However when using BIAB I often plug into the 1/8th inch stereo headphone jack to either run a small set of speakers or run a feed to my mixing board for our live jams. I doubt this would cause any problems (at least it should not). The USB maybe since I gather it uses drivers?????

I always fully shut my computer off and very often too since it keeps memory clear and saves hydro costs. If find the theory that this wears out your computer quickly to be incorrect. My computers have lasted a long time. Windows is very dirty and shutting it off keeps things cleaner. It seems BIAB is a bit dirty too with this need to reset to factory settings (maybe windows is causing it).

Note: So far I reset these items and it is still working.
Reset the space bar to start BIAB songs. (options)
Increase the number of lines that appear on the chord window (options display)
Remove the checkbox allowing real tracks to make track substitutions based upon speed (options real tracks)

Thanks again,
John

Edited by bowlesj (02/01/18 03:07 AM)

PG Music News
A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is Here!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is here! PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 includes many new features and enhancements:

Windows Audio (WASAPI) driver support. This allows for low latency audio recording/playback without requiring ASIO. Note that this supports 1 stereo input plus 1 stereo output at a time. For multiple inputs/outputs, you should continue to use either MME or ASIO.

ABC Notation format support. You can save a track of notation in a popular ASCII text format to import into other programs, or you can paste this format into a user forum as a way of sending the track (usually the melody and chord symbols) to other users without having to attach a file.

The built-in Audio Chord Wizard detection in the Chords window automatically detects the chords of the song, based on the audio data from all non-muted audio tracks. This works similar to the standalone Audio Chord Wizard, except that it uses the current bar lines of the existing song.

Notation Enhancements:
-X/8 time signature support. This is a special method of displaying 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 time signatures in the Notation window.
-The Duplicate previous chord in notation right-click menu lets you quickly duplicate the previous chord (group of notes on same peg) without having to reenter it.
-Delete highlighted notes in notation right-click menu lets you delete all highlighted notes.
-Delete all notes on this peg in notation right-click menu lets you delete all notes on the nearest peg that was clicked on.
-You can now enter Section Numbers. Previously, you could enter letters (A-Z) only, but now you can also enter numbers (1-9).

...a full list of the new features in PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is available at http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.features.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

#TBT - The Beginning of Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box®

We released the much-loved Xtra Styles PAKs in August 2016! This release included 164 RealStyles for Jazz, Country, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter and worked with any Band-in-a-Box® 2016 or higher UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

Xtra Styles PAKs were such a hit... we couldn't stop making them! Since their introduction, we've released 3 more PAKs with a total of over 600 Xtra Styles in all!

Want to hear what other program users are doing with their Xtra Styles? Visit our Xtra STyles Contests forum to hear all the songs submitted during previous song contest we've had: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=102&page=1

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs and listen to their demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win.

Band-in-a-Box® Customer Feedback - Feel The Love!

Check out some great feedback we've received on our Facebook account from program users:

"I have been using Band-in-a-Box for years. It is the anchor of my music gigs as well as my fun in my studio. I have used other software but Band-in-a-Box is my main go to."
-Jack T.

"Love Band-in-a-Box. As someone who played professionally for 20 years and retired from live performing years ago, I still love music. Band-in-a-Box allows me to create fun arrangements which I can sing over or play over. There are THOUSANDS of different variations plus you can enter any chords you like and create any chart. It's also great for creating background tracks for videos and audio content for websites, training etc. And like everything else in the world . . . it may not be right for everyone. For those who love music and don't have the time to shed five or six instruments it's way cool."
-Vinnie R.

"This program has completely changed my playing for the good. I can experiment with playing chords and leads over various scenarios that I can quickly create and change. Love this program. I use it nearly every day."
-Dave R.

"I bought my first version in 1994 and have progressed to 2018 version. I use it to create backing tracks for live music performance. I currently have over 2,000 songs performance ready. If you can and type, and use mouse it will work for you."
-Roger M.

"The premiere reason for me for buying this program; it has given me the freedom to fully complete the foundation for my songs without the confinement of limited minded musicians. After the song concept is complete, it can then be presented those musicians to play as a cover song. Also writing a song with a band gives them partial ownership of your idea... not cool... especially since they may have fought your idea every step of the way.. Every member of an organized band should own a copy of this program to compose or to even give legitimate composition alternatives to the original songwriter."
-Paul V.

Thanks everyone!

Support for ABC Notation Format in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

ABC notation is the simple text-based notation system used by musicians worldwide to store chords, melody, and lyrics of songs. Now with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows you can open and save songs in ABC notation format!

To save the song in ABC notation format, press the [Save As] toolbar button and choose Save as ABC notation file from the menu. Once opened, select a track that you want to save and choose your other criteria - The [Copy to clipboard] button will copy the file to the clipboard (that you can then paste it into other programs). The [Save as File] button will let you type a name and select the destination in your hard drive.

Forum Stats
27120 Members
49 Forums
50287 Topics
412665 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
osmethne, Mike HP., camp_band, Fecó, lhh169

27120 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 273
Matt Finley 267