You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#454428 - 01/29/18 11:33 AM [User Showcase] Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane)
Callie - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
We recently shared the project we worked on with Floyd Jane: The Birth of a Song with a short (under 6 min) video link.

But it can take longer than 5 minutes to explain the songwriting process! The project is complete, and in this extended version of the video (it's over an hour long!), Songwriter Floyd Jane shows in detail the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication. (YouTube link: https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M)

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community blush

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible, and to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Table of contents for the full length video:
CHAPTER INDEX:
1 - The Challenge - 01:23
2 - Inspiration for the Song - 01:57
3 - The Musical Hook - 02:58
4 - Writing the Lyrics - 03:21
5 - Writing the Chorus - 04:29
6 - Taking a Break and Refining the Lyrics - 05:53
7 - Adding the Musicians and Creating the Arrangement with Band-in-a-Box® - 10:56
8 - Exporting the Band-in-a-Box® Tracks to use in Studio One - 26:10
9 - Using Studio One to Record the Vocals - 26:59
10 - Importing Band-in-a-Box® tracks to Studio One - 29:14
11 - Microphone Setup - 32:51
12 - Recording the Vocals - 37:57
14 - Creating the Guitar Solo in Band-in-a-Box® - 42:43
15 - Recording the Electric Guitar Lick - 47:07
16 - Mastering the Song in Sound Forge & Follow up - 47:35
17 - Uploading Finished Song to SoundCloud - 51:09
18 - Posting to the Band-in-a-Box® "User Showcase Forum" - 53:53
19 - Concluding Thoughts - 58:28
20 - "A Little Bit Of Me" Music Video - 1:00:13

The original shorter version of this video:

#454654 - 01/30/18 08:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Nice job on this Floyd and PGmusic!

Good idea to break it up into chapters too, I just finished watching a few of them, will watch more later when I have more time.

BTW, love your tele style guitar, Floyd! When I was a kid, 15 or so, I vividly remember seeing an off white tele with a white pickguard in the local music store, first time I had ever seen a Fender in real life (grew up in a very small town). Ever since then I've always wanted one with that particular colour scheme.

Very well done project!

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#454736 - 01/30/18 02:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
An amazing and wonderful video. Had to watch it all the way through from the first glance.

A fun project for sure and would love to see more like this...

Inspirational.

With an hour video, really thought I'd get to see Floyd mow some grass...

Enjoyed this from start to finish.

Charlie

#454803 - 01/30/18 10:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Really enjoyed this and learned a few things along the way. Very inspiring, which is what I need right before FAWM. Especially loved the music video at the end.

Edited by JoanneCooper (01/30/18 10:14 PM)

#454835 - 01/31/18 02:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
molsenhouse Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Floyd and PG Music for sharing this video – really interesting to see how others work with songwriting and the technical part of the production. Always some good tips and tricks to pick up. And the MusicVideo at the end – as Joanne mentioned above – great stuff!

#454869 - 01/31/18 06:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
@Dave (BlueAttitude) - Hey, Dave... tell you a "secret"... the tele is a G&L ASAT Classic that I picked up on the Musician's Friend Stupid Deal for $299. BEST! $299 I've ever spent! Out of the box, the intonation was perfect. The neck has a silkiness that is a pure joy to play - feels great, so smooth. It stays in tune amazingly well. I grab it most often now (over my Strat) as my "play a little guitar" guitar... love it. Keep an eye out for the Stupid Deal (they have run it again since I got it) - their return policy is good in case you don't want to keep it...

@Charlie - (congrats on your award!) Glad you enjoyed this - it is a lot to watch....

@Joanne - Thanks for watching. Really glad you liked the video at the end! We had a lot of fun making that!....

@Einar - Thanks! Pleased that you like the ending Video!

@Charlie Gannon - Thanks for all your work on this!

#454887 - 01/31/18 08:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
sslechta Online   content
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Very enjoyable to watch Floyd!

I was really interested in your description of the harmonies and that you just use a 3rd above. When I did mine I wasn't sure and mostly did 3rd above with a 3rd below turned down much lower. Nice to know I won't need to work below.

Liked that you used the same 2688 Brent Mason soloist that I did. It's amazing that those soloists can cross genres so well. Took the tip in to generate the entire track a few times. I only did once. Like you, the solo part that was already aligned with my guitar solo section of the song and worked as-is and I didn't have to play with it.

Enjoyed the final music video on the song too. Good idea with the lyrics on the wall. Well done.

Thanks for spending the time in making this video for those of us that can use it as a learning experience!

Your new fan! smile

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#454971 - 01/31/18 03:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: floyd jane]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Hey Floyd,

This is awesome man!

What is that gorgeous old acoustic you are playing most of the way through?

How do you have it set up. Did you "drill it" are are you micing it?

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#454975 - 01/31/18 03:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: floyd jane]
multitracker Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Hibbing, MN
Excellent video Floyd, thanks for sharing your method. I use a similar workflow, BIAB to Studio One.

I'm curious to know, do you use BIAB Audiophile Edition, or the standard BIAB?

Thanks,
Terry

#455053 - 02/01/18 05:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
I enjoyed this and learnt a few new things about BIAB. I just wish you also used Realband and Reaper! Seriously, I thought it was really well put together and I loved the Dylanesk bit at the end!
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#455108 - 02/01/18 09:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Finally found the time to watch the rest of this. Excellent!! And that video you did was pure fun, watched it twice.

Thanks for the tip on the G&L too, what a sweet looking guitar! I want one! smile

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#455496 - 02/03/18 03:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

@steve - typically in this type song and production (which covers MOST of them) all you need for harmonies are a third above. And you can do a bunch of them. That makes the background big and fat - AND subtle - all important things...

@Mr. Snyder - the acoustic is a Yamaha FG500. Fairly rare. A GORGEOUS instrument. Like a well worn Martin. It was damaged years ago, which caused the saddle to release. I replaced it myself (with Elmer's glue and a new saddle). Mic? That is just my wife's iPhone recording what we did (she did a GREAT job of handling the videography throughout)

@Terry - I use the standard version of BIAB. For most of my productions it is all I need. I have heard a few things using the Audiophile version that make a difference - if your song is mainly acoustice guitars - and the cymbals are sometimes noticeable - but for productions that include electric guitars, I can't hear the difference... a matter of choice and styles...

#455595 - 02/04/18 09:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
bodhi65 Offline

That was awesome. You gave me some good ideas and I liked how you used Studio One. Since I’m a sonar user, I was looking at studio one as a replacement since cakewalk seems to have gone belly up.

#456434 - 02/08/18 08:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

@Neil - glad you got a little out of this. I hadn't really thought of the ending video as "Dylan-esque"... I had thought about doing just a lyric video and then decided to try more of a "hybrid" approach....

@Dave - thanks...again!

@bodhi65 - Studio One is a great DAW (imo). You might give Reaper a try, too...

#457772 - 02/16/18 12:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
rayc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
I've downloaded the updated/extended version. thanks. It's a cool comparison of workflow as well as a few handy hints.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. http://therecordingrebels.com/index.php

#464498 - 03/28/18 07:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
cliftond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alabama
Top Notch!!!, anyone who writes music should watch this video. I will more than once. Floyd mentioned something about a line while riding a lawn mover, HA, how many songs have been started mowing a yard, or riding a tractor. A great video guys!!!

#467837 - 04/18/18 07:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Buford Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
A big thanks to you, Floyd (and Janice & Bud) for putting this together. While PGM's instructional videos are very good, seeing another forum member use it really gives some insight into the creative process beyond the nuts and bolts of using BIAB. I'm thinking the only thing harder than the entire song creation process is DOCUMENTING the song creation process. So thanks for what I'm sure was a lot of work.

Floyd, I'd really like to see an interview style video on how you guys who were writing on music row went about coming up with song ideas and turning them into a finished song for a recording project. Hook, lyrics, music. Because of your 15 years on the row you have some unique insights to share. I think it would be fascinating.

Thanks for all your hard work and to the folks at PG Music who helped get it out there.

Bob cool

#495564 - 10/12/18 08:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Tangmo Online   content
Apprentice

Late to the party, but just wanted to echo thanks for the video and demonstration. That dang song will be in my head until next week, at least. :-)

I smiled with recognition at the first parts, picked up some good pointers in the latter parts, and just enjoyed the video and complete play through at the end. I hope that lyric sheet is worth big money one day.
BIAB 2018 Audiophile. Windows 10. Former user of old version. Prefer creating while learning over learning before creating. Passable, intermediate level acoustic rhythm guitar player. Songwriter, lyricist, composer loving all styles.

#495720 - 10/13/18 01:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
drutgat Offline
Enthusiast

That was excellent, floyd - informative, educational, and really enjoyable.

As others have said, the video at the end was great.

I must admit that the promo film for 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' did come to mind immediately, but your presentation was unique and creative.

Many thanks for this.

PG Music News
Happy National iPod Day! Celebrate with Pitch Invasion

The iPod was introduced on October 23, 2001 - it's hard to believe we've had the iPod available to us for so long!

Spend some time on your iPod today playing our Pitch Invasion App, reviewed as "A great to pass the time and work on pitch recognition."

Band-in-a-Box® Backing Tracks on the Masterclass 'Melodic Choices' Tour!

The Masterclass 'Melodic Choices' tour with Michael Dolce is on its final month, with dates remaining in Australia!

Michael uses Band-in-a-Box® to create the tracks for this tour!

A few images from the event:
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

A little information about Michael Dolce :
Michael Dolce is one of Australia's premier guitarists whose career spans over 27 years. He has worked with Delta Goodrem, Lionel Richie, The Madden Brothers, Good Charlotte, Keith Urban, Kelly Rowland, Kylie Minogue, Roachford, Jessica Mauboy, Ricky Martin, Ronan Keating, Jessie J, Seal, Will-I-Am, Paulini, Marvin Priest and many more. He is the house guitarist for the hit show 'The Voice' and has been touring the country with his 'Masterclass' series for the past 3 years sharing his concepts, approach, technique and knowledge.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows - User Programmable Functions

But, what if you want to be able to tell the program to do MORE than that?

Head to Chapter 14: User Programmable Functions within the online manual, and you'll learn more about programmable features like:

The StyleMaker
Create brand-new styles or edit existing styles!

Making RealDrums Styles
Template file included! You can either record a drummer, or you can piece together a wave file using drum loops!

The Harmony Maker
Create or edit your own (or existing) harmonies!

The Soloist Maker and The Melodist Maker
Define your own Soloists or Melodists in whichever style you'd like!

The Guitarist Maker
The program will intelligently arrange any melody to a guitar chord solo by inserting real guitar voicings throughout the piece. There are many preloaded Guitarists to choose from, or you can customize existing Guitarists’ settings or make your own Guitarists from scratch using this feature.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Review - Software for Learning Saxophone

McGill Music Sax School posted a video review of Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows last year, stating "I love using software to help learn saxophone. One of my favourite programs is Band-in-a-Box. It's a really powerful tool for quickly making backing tracks I can use for lessons, or my own practice."

Check it out! www.pgmusic.com/?vid=2AgfV7emdLQ

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Importing MIDI Files

Did you know that Standard MIDI files can be read in to the Melodist or Soloist track within Band-in-a-Box? You can use all of the MIDI File, or select channels or a specific range of bars, using these steps:
1. Melody | Import Melody from MIDI File to select a MIDI file from disk using the file dialog.
2. Melody | Import Melody from Clipboard - when the MIDI data is already copied from another program to the
clipboard.

A new window will open, asking for additional criteria - which channels, # of bars to offset..., # of bars to import, include lyrics, include patch changes - and more! Head to our online manual Chapter 10: Working with MIDI to learn more!

YouTube Find - Your First 15 Minutes with Band-in-a-Box

Woody Piano Shack recently got their hands on Band-in-a-Box after a long time without the program - and they're thrilled!!

Check out this video they've shared to their YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/9dxSfwjBvG0

Thanks Woody Piano Shack!

National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

Forum Stats
28094 Members
57 Forums
54501 Topics
450793 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Cássio stones, Molldur, Frans, Gregle, sergio2018

28094 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 202