Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#454428 - 01/29/18 11:33 AM [User Showcase] Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane)
Callie - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
We recently shared the project we worked on with Floyd Jane: The Birth of a Song with a short (under 6 min) video link.

But it can take longer than 5 minutes to explain the songwriting process! The project is complete, and in this extended version of the video (it's over an hour long!), Songwriter Floyd Jane shows in detail the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication. (YouTube link: https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M)

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community blush

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible, and to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Table of contents for the full length video:
CHAPTER INDEX:
1 - The Challenge - 01:23
2 - Inspiration for the Song - 01:57
3 - The Musical Hook - 02:58
4 - Writing the Lyrics - 03:21
5 - Writing the Chorus - 04:29
6 - Taking a Break and Refining the Lyrics - 05:53
7 - Adding the Musicians and Creating the Arrangement with Band-in-a-Box® - 10:56
8 - Exporting the Band-in-a-Box® Tracks to use in Studio One - 26:10
9 - Using Studio One to Record the Vocals - 26:59
10 - Importing Band-in-a-Box® tracks to Studio One - 29:14
11 - Microphone Setup - 32:51
12 - Recording the Vocals - 37:57
14 - Creating the Guitar Solo in Band-in-a-Box® - 42:43
15 - Recording the Electric Guitar Lick - 47:07
16 - Mastering the Song in Sound Forge & Follow up - 47:35
17 - Uploading Finished Song to SoundCloud - 51:09
18 - Posting to the Band-in-a-Box® "User Showcase Forum" - 53:53
19 - Concluding Thoughts - 58:28
20 - "A Little Bit Of Me" Music Video - 1:00:13

The original shorter version of this video:

#454654 - 01/30/18 08:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Nice job on this Floyd and PGmusic!

Good idea to break it up into chapters too, I just finished watching a few of them, will watch more later when I have more time.

BTW, love your tele style guitar, Floyd! When I was a kid, 15 or so, I vividly remember seeing an off white tele with a white pickguard in the local music store, first time I had ever seen a Fender in real life (grew up in a very small town). Ever since then I've always wanted one with that particular colour scheme.

Very well done project!

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Latest song: Life ain't a Cookie Jar

#454736 - 01/30/18 02:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
An amazing and wonderful video. Had to watch it all the way through from the first glance.

A fun project for sure and would love to see more like this...

Inspirational.

With an hour video, really thought I'd get to see Floyd mow some grass...

Enjoyed this from start to finish.

Charlie

#454803 - 01/30/18 10:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Really enjoyed this and learned a few things along the way. Very inspiring, which is what I need right before FAWM. Especially loved the music video at the end.

Edited by JoanneCooper (01/30/18 10:14 PM)

#454835 - 01/31/18 02:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
molsenhouse Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Floyd and PG Music for sharing this video – really interesting to see how others work with songwriting and the technical part of the production. Always some good tips and tricks to pick up. And the MusicVideo at the end – as Joanne mentioned above – great stuff!

#454869 - 01/31/18 06:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
@Dave (BlueAttitude) - Hey, Dave... tell you a "secret"... the tele is a G&L ASAT Classic that I picked up on the Musician's Friend Stupid Deal for $299. BEST! $299 I've ever spent! Out of the box, the intonation was perfect. The neck has a silkiness that is a pure joy to play - feels great, so smooth. It stays in tune amazingly well. I grab it most often now (over my Strat) as my "play a little guitar" guitar... love it. Keep an eye out for the Stupid Deal (they have run it again since I got it) - their return policy is good in case you don't want to keep it...

@Charlie - (congrats on your award!) Glad you enjoyed this - it is a lot to watch....

@Joanne - Thanks for watching. Really glad you liked the video at the end! We had a lot of fun making that!....

@Einar - Thanks! Pleased that you like the ending Video!

@Charlie Gannon - Thanks for all your work on this!

#454887 - 01/31/18 08:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Very enjoyable to watch Floyd!

I was really interested in your description of the harmonies and that you just use a 3rd above. When I did mine I wasn't sure and mostly did 3rd above with a 3rd below turned down much lower. Nice to know I won't need to work below.

Liked that you used the same 2688 Brent Mason soloist that I did. It's amazing that those soloists can cross genres so well. Took the tip in to generate the entire track a few times. I only did once. Like you, the solo part that was already aligned with my guitar solo section of the song and worked as-is and I didn't have to play with it.

Enjoyed the final music video on the song too. Good idea with the lyrics on the wall. Well done.

Thanks for spending the time in making this video for those of us that can use it as a learning experience!

Your new fan! smile

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#454971 - 01/31/18 03:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: floyd jane]
David Snyder Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Hey Floyd,

This is awesome man!

What is that gorgeous old acoustic you are playing most of the way through?

How do you have it set up. Did you "drill it" are are you micing it?

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com./davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#454975 - 01/31/18 03:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: floyd jane]
multitracker Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Hibbing, MN
Excellent video Floyd, thanks for sharing your method. I use a similar workflow, BIAB to Studio One.

I'm curious to know, do you use BIAB Audiophile Edition, or the standard BIAB?

Thanks,
Terry

#455053 - 02/01/18 05:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
I enjoyed this and learnt a few new things about BIAB. I just wish you also used Realband and Reaper! Seriously, I thought it was really well put together and I loved the Dylanesk bit at the end!
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#455108 - 02/01/18 09:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Finally found the time to watch the rest of this. Excellent!! And that video you did was pure fun, watched it twice.

Thanks for the tip on the G&L too, what a sweet looking guitar! I want one! smile

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Latest song: Life ain't a Cookie Jar

#455496 - 02/03/18 03:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

@steve - typically in this type song and production (which covers MOST of them) all you need for harmonies are a third above. And you can do a bunch of them. That makes the background big and fat - AND subtle - all important things...

@Mr. Snyder - the acoustic is a Yamaha FG500. Fairly rare. A GORGEOUS instrument. Like a well worn Martin. It was damaged years ago, which caused the saddle to release. I replaced it myself (with Elmer's glue and a new saddle). Mic? That is just my wife's iPhone recording what we did (she did a GREAT job of handling the videography throughout)

@Terry - I use the standard version of BIAB. For most of my productions it is all I need. I have heard a few things using the Audiophile version that make a difference - if your song is mainly acoustice guitars - and the cymbals are sometimes noticeable - but for productions that include electric guitars, I can't hear the difference... a matter of choice and styles...

#455595 - 02/04/18 09:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
bodhi65 Offline

That was awesome. You gave me some good ideas and I liked how you used Studio One. Since I’m a sonar user, I was looking at studio one as a replacement since cakewalk seems to have gone belly up.

#456434 - 02/08/18 08:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

@Neil - glad you got a little out of this. I hadn't really thought of the ending video as "Dylan-esque"... I had thought about doing just a lyric video and then decided to try more of a "hybrid" approach....

@Dave - thanks...again!

@bodhi65 - Studio One is a great DAW (imo). You might give Reaper a try, too...

#457772 - 02/16/18 12:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane) [Re: Callie - PG Music]
rayc Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
I've downloaded the updated/extended version. thanks. It's a cool comparison of workflow as well as a few handy hints.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels - http://therecordingrebels.com/index.php

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Everything You Need to Know in Under 5 Minutes!

Want to quickly see the new features included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac in action?

Check out this video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® ! Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes*: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=XSSQpijRyxk

*The video includes an extra 2 minutes for the 49-PAK! The first 5 minutes show you all of the great new features and content available with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, and it's followed by additional video showing off the 2018 49-PAK for Mac.

Xtra Styles PAKs are ON SALE until May 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 was initially released with our Windows version of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, and with the release of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we're having a sale!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

We've put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE until May 31st! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 45 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is here, and there's more than 80 new features! We've answered some user requests with this release, including:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I use the feature to make a video of the chord sheet from a Band-in-a-Box song. I use it to make backing tracks and upload them to YouTube. But these don't include any notation for the melody and lyrics of my songs. My viewers would like to see the melody and lyrics too. Is there a way you can include the melody in the video? I've tried recording this with screen capture programs, but it's time consuming, recording in real time, and the audio quality and sync are not that good.

A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box 2018 can do this now. You can save your song as a video of the notation track. So that includes the notation, guitar tab, and lyrics. And saving the whole video and audio just takes a few seconds, much faster than real time recording. Just load in your song with chords, melody, lyrics, and/or guitar tab, and press Save-As Notation Video. Your song will be up on YouTube in no time!

Q. I am songwriter and uses Band-in-a-Box to make backing tracks for my productions. I'm starting to make videos and upload them to YouTube. Can Band-in-a-Box help with my production videos?

A. Band-in-a-Box 2018 can now make videos with Video RealTracks, of the musicians performing the RealTracks. And they are playing along to your song's chord progression. You can include these videos in your own song performance, which adds a nice visual element.

Q. I use the Audio Harmonies in Band-in-a-Box. But I find the harmonies simplistic, in that they are mainly using chord tones. The Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmonies are more sophisticated, using passing tones. Why can't my Audio Harmonies work like that?

A. We've added support for new types of Audio Harmonies in the Audio Edit Window. These do allow you to choose any Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmony that has passing tones or sophisticated jazz voicings (adding 4 parts to make a 5-part jazz voicing for example). Band-in-a-Box automatically figures out the MIDI version of your melody so it uses this to create the harmonies.

Q. The new toolbar is nice, but needs more color options. Too much grey! How about skins?

A. We've added support for skins, and you can choose color or grey scale options for toolbar, mixer etc.

And more!!!

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is Here - Up to 40% off Upgrades!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac with over 50 new features, 202 New RealTracks, 40 NEW Video RealTracks, 32 new MIDI SuperTracks, 108 new Instrumental Studies, 8 new Artist Performances, 52 new loops, and 40 AmpliTube presets with 37 associated styles!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Upgrade purchases until May 31, 2018 - save up to 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Upgrade!

This year we are celebrating 30 YEARS of Band-in-a-Box®! We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.bonuspaks_2018.htm

If you check out http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm, you'll see the new 2018 package options available. To summarize:

Band-in-a-Box® Pro $129
Upgrade from Version 2017: $59 (reg: $69)
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $69 (reg: $79)
Special 2018 Program Update from 2017: $49 **Requires Version 2017. Includes version 2018 program updates only. (No other Add-ons or Bonus PAK)

Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK $269
Upgrade from Version 2017: $89 (reg: $149)
Upgrade from Version 2016: $99 (reg: $159)

Band-in-a-Box® PlusPAK
Upgrade from Version 2017: $99 (reg: $129)
(The PlusPAK is designed to upgrade 2017 UltraPlusPAK & EverythingPAK users who are downloading their upgrade or do not want to purchase a new hard drive)

NEW! Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK Formerly the UltraPlusPAK $469
Upgrade from Version 2017: $149 (reg: $279)
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $169 (reg: $299)

Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition $669
Upgrade from Version 2017 Audiophile: $199 - limited time offer!
Upgrade from 2017: $479
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $499
Upgrade from any previous Audiophile: $299

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Forum Stats
27502 Members
50 Forums
51765 Topics
427675 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Maish007, BigPoppa425, Carlo74, DSArts, giambamt

27501 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 421
zedd 190