Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#491146 - 09/15/18 06:49 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
OldRoy Offline

I've been using BiaB through DOS, win XP and now Win 10 and have done 5 years of singing to and with my assisted living friends. I appreciate having immediate custom key and tempo changes available when running it live. Getting older means more computer mistakes so I still feel a beginner. I just ran into a lockup as described below.

My midi output driver, microsoft GS wavetable synth,is fully installed but not available. It is classified as "being used by another program" I tried a reboot a forced closing, by task manager, of the unresponsive BIAB file then another reboot to no avail.
I have no alternative synth and wonder how I can restore operation.I am due to be entertaining friends tomorrow!

#491415 - 09/17/18 12:59 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
I just depends on what songs you're doing and how picky you are. Some songs do not have identifying musical hooks in them, like folk styles for example. Lots of strumming guitars with a bass. Dreams by Fleetwood Mac is an example of that. No problem. But take Charlies cover of Listen To The Music by the Doobies. That intro guitar rhythm lick is not from Biab. Either Charlie himself or someone else played that.

If you're the guitarist and will be playing that intro yourself no problem but a midi file will have that intro already programmed in. However, don't expect Biab to produce those song specific hooks. Satisfaction is another common one. Satisfaction without that iconic guitar part really isn't Satisfaction is it? How about the organ part in Gimme Some Lovin by Spencer Davis? Unless you're the keyboardist, you'll need a midi file for that one.

Without those hooks you don't have a song but if you're doing three chord country strumming tunes and you can finger pick along yourself, easy peasy.

I would not simply endorse using Biab for covers, too many unknowns. True backing tracks are not called cover tracks, they're backing tracks for a performer who's playing those parts themselves. In that context Biab is great.

Bob

#491421 - 09/17/18 01:07 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BIAB for live performance? [Re: Monkster]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Hi Roy, you just jumped into the middle of a thread (conversation) on the usefullness of using Biab live. That's a different topic than your problem and you should have started a new thread.

Without more details it's hard to come up with an exact answer but try this inside Biab: Options>Return To Factory Settings and let it reset itself. You'll have to go into your midi drivers window and reselect the Coyote Wavetable. This is assuming you're using a recent version of Biab.

Always post which version you have. Otherwise, we're shooting in the dark.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
National One-Hit Wonder Day!

Today is NATIONAL ONE-HIT WONDER DAY!

Have you ever created a "one-hit wonder" (that you'll admit to)? Post it to this thread - we'd love to hear it!

Complete RealBand 2018 Users Guide - Interactive Online Version Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page, and you'll find our latest addition - the online manual for the RealBand 2018 for Windows User's Guide!

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/index.htm

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this User's Guide can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video - Endorsing Artist Steve Wallace

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video from endorsing artist Steve Wallace!
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=6QcPF5cQjKw

"With the vast array of RealTracks and styles offered, Band-in-a-Box is a phenomenal program that can help any musician and composer hone their skills."
-Steve Wallace

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Forum Stats
27993 Members
57 Forums
54098 Topics
446298 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
nitz, smokinhalfnote, snenamor, yes daddy music, grivers

27993 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 499
David Snyder 181