Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#455622 - 02/04/18 12:31 PM [User Showcase] One (Acoustic Version)
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Finland
One (Acoustic Version)

I showcased the original version of this song in early 2017 (http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=60316&Number=410049#Post410049 ).

That version was rock oriented, but Miira's voice did not come to its full potential in it. Miira made a better vocal track later but it was not used because it would not have changed much. Then one day accidentally an idea hit my mind that this song should be performed with the accompaniment of an acoustic piano. I noticed how well it worked, so I added couple of simple acoustic instruments and this version was born.

Because this new version is radically different than the original, and I think also better both musically and vocalwise, I want to share it with you. The message of the song is still valid, you can think that 'one' could mean this forum.

Some of you compared Miira's voice and singing style in the original version to the Cranberries vocalist Dolores O'Riordan. Since Dolores died a while ago, this version is dedicated to her memory.

Real Drums: Brushes Pop 8ths Swirl
Real Tracks:
Acoustic piano #1006
Acoustic bass #2475
Acoustic guitar #1595, #2916
Cello: 1856
Viola #2236

Vocals: Miira (audio harmonies in some parts generated by BIAB)

Mixed in Adobe Audition 2017

Lyrics:

You don't need a crowd to praise you
when you play guitar
You only need one to tell you
how important you are
you only need one to find you
among brighter stars
to show you your worth
you are her caviar.

Often I look for more favor
but I am too blind to see my own greed
one is enough for the blessing of life
I already have what I really need.

You don't have to live from the likes
of the virtual mind
you only need one whose feedback
is thoughtful and kind
you only need one who follows
the path you've designed
who's honest and real
and won't leave you behind.

[Chorus]

I still cling to the fleeting moments
those time grains in a sandglass,
I should seek the rare things
that won't go with the first tide
dissolve when decades pass
but stay by your side.

Are you the one not afraid of
throwing herself out off the safe ground?
Are you the one who wants to dive deep
knowing there's a pearl waiting to be found?

-----
Janne

#455641 - 02/04/18 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: jannesan

Because this new version is radically different than the original, and I think also better both musically and vocalwise, I want to share it with you. The message of the song is still valid, you can think that 'one' could mean this forum.

-----
Janne

Janne, I agree 100%. This is outstanding and Mira sounds tremendously better in this version. I also like the arrangement and instrument selections a lot better.

Two thumbs up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#455650 - 02/04/18 02:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Wow, what a difference! Both versions were good, however I do significantly prefer this one. The style of the song just matches the lyrics and vocal style so well here. Fantastic job!

#455794 - 02/05/18 11:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: MarioD]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: jannesan

Janne, I agree 100%. This is outstanding and Mira sounds tremendously better in this version. I also like the arrangement and instrument selections a lot better.

Two thumbs up.

Thanks Mario, I appreciate your very positive words smile I'm glad you prefer this version, it is strange that it took me 6 months to realize that I could make this kind of an arrangement.

Janne

#455797 - 02/05/18 11:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: Ember - PG Music]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Wow, what a difference! Both versions were good, however I do significantly prefer this one. The style of the song just matches the lyrics and vocal style so well here. Fantastic job!

Thanks Ember for your kind feedback smile Yes, the difference is really striking, same song, but totally different style. I'm really happy that you find that the lyrics match the style better here.

Janne

#455803 - 02/05/18 12:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
I don't know that I would go about comparing the two versions, but I think this is gorgeous.

I love the vocal and the simple instrumentation.

It reminds me of latter day Bjork in a way (e.g. Utopia), and I mean that as a huge compliment.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com./davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.musicdealers.com/artist/davidsnyder

#455805 - 02/05/18 12:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
That is a terrific arrangement and it well showcases the vocal.

Enjoyed it.

J&B
J&B Website

#455812 - 02/05/18 12:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Hi Janne and Miira.

Beautiful song . Thumbs up from here.
I particularly like this.

"Often I look for more favor
but I am too blind to see my own greed
one is enough for the blessing of life
I already have what I really need."

Great when lyrics ring so true.
Cheers.

#455999 - 02/06/18 10:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: David Snyder]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
I don't know that I would go about comparing the two versions, but I think this is gorgeous.
I love the vocal and the simple instrumentation.
It reminds me of latter day Bjork in a way (e.g. Utopia), and I mean that as a huge compliment.

Thanks David for your gorgeous words smile Bjork reference is surely a huge compliment laugh

Janne

#456007 - 02/06/18 11:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Janne,

Miira sounds magical singing against the piano accompaniment. I thoroughly enjoyed listening. You've done a really good job creating this acoustic arrangement.

Yet another fine creation to add to your ever-growing songbook!

All the best,
Noel

#456026 - 02/06/18 12:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I don't recall the first version, maybe it was so different from this version.

Anyway, this version is really well done and good.

Sometimes simple is better. We have all these tracks and want to use them, but paring back to the basics sometimes is the absolute best way to go and this proves that.

Nice work and well done.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#456035 - 02/06/18 12:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Excellent performance and arrangement.
Super vocal as usual.

Great harmony.

Sergio.

P.S. I am still working... smile

Sergio

#456447 - 02/08/18 09:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: Janice & Bud]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
That is a terrific arrangement and it well showcases the vocal.

Enjoyed it.

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud for your positive feedback, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our song smile

Janne

#456449 - 02/08/18 09:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: RichMac]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: RichMac

Beautiful song . Thumbs up from here.
I particularly like this.
"Often I look for more favor but I am too blind to see my own greed
one is enough for the blessing of life I already have what I really need."
Great when lyrics ring so true.
Cheers.

Thanks RichMac, I appreciate your kind words, glad you liked the lyrics, it's good to remember those quoted lines when you feel let down because there is not enough likes etc.

Janne

#456453 - 02/08/18 09:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: One (Acoustic Version) [Re: jannesan]
Belladonna Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Virginia
This one does really showcase the vocals. Nice song and lyrics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is Here!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is here! PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 includes many new features and enhancements:

Windows Audio (WASAPI) driver support. This allows for low latency audio recording/playback without requiring ASIO. Note that this supports 1 stereo input plus 1 stereo output at a time. For multiple inputs/outputs, you should continue to use either MME or ASIO.

ABC Notation format support. You can save a track of notation in a popular ASCII text format to import into other programs, or you can paste this format into a user forum as a way of sending the track (usually the melody and chord symbols) to other users without having to attach a file.

The built-in Audio Chord Wizard detection in the Chords window automatically detects the chords of the song, based on the audio data from all non-muted audio tracks. This works similar to the standalone Audio Chord Wizard, except that it uses the current bar lines of the existing song.

Notation Enhancements:
-X/8 time signature support. This is a special method of displaying 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 time signatures in the Notation window.
-The Duplicate previous chord in notation right-click menu lets you quickly duplicate the previous chord (group of notes on same peg) without having to reenter it.
-Delete highlighted notes in notation right-click menu lets you delete all highlighted notes.
-Delete all notes on this peg in notation right-click menu lets you delete all notes on the nearest peg that was clicked on.
-You can now enter Section Numbers. Previously, you could enter letters (A-Z) only, but now you can also enter numbers (1-9).

...a full list of the new features in PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is available at http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.features.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

Forum Stats
27129 Members
49 Forums
50314 Topics
412901 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Jknadler61, Stephanus L, thatsastrat, Michael R. Boyce, Pierrott

27129 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 260