You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#455683 - 02/04/18 09:16 PM [Beginners Forum] Is my song corrupt?
mbsmike Online   content

Hello all! I'm a relatively new user. Have read the forum for a couple months and must say it is very informative and a pleasure to read.

Today I ran into an issue that searches have not help to answer. I'm using 2018 BIAB on a Windows 10 machine. I've done two songs with mostly no issues at all. But today changed all that.

I put a lot of time in perfecting my third song. At some point in the project I noticed that when I hit the stop button the "cursor" would jump well past the end of the song, don't know if this relevant but never have seen that before. Anyway now when I export to .wav (individual files) they do not contain the count in although it is checked in the song export screen. Time is left at the beginning of each file but no count in is heard. I've unchecked and rechecked the box several times with no joy.

Again not sure how relevant this is but during the second "take" (regenerated) BIAB gave a write fail error then locked up. I run BIAB from the USB drive but write the wavs to an internal hard drive. Also the computer is less than a year old and a powerful machine. This happened once on one of my first two songs and I had to reboot before BIAB would allow me to do anything else. But on this reboot the computer sat at the "restarting" prompt forever. Nothing would happen until I unplugged the USB drive then reboot went as normal.

Gave it another shot and on "take 4" the same error forcing a reboot happened. But this time Windows said it had to repair the USB drive (chkdisk). Said all is well after the process.

Each time I did a new take I did a save as so I have 6 song files. The part that confuses me most is that the crash did not happen until take 2 yet none of the files from the first take have a count in either???? I did a test by exporting the default startup song (just a C chord) using the same style with the same instruments I changed, that export indeed had a count in. But if I load any of the 6 songs files I saved no count in!

So lastly I was going to copy the chord sheet from one of my song files into the default startup song but I could not select and scroll down my song. I could go from bar 1 but when I hit the bottom of the visible page it would not scroll for the rest. Tried it in reverse, bottom to top, but again no scroll.

So I'm seeking advice. Is it corrupt and beyond repair? Does this write fail lockup happen often. Can I do something different to avoid it?

Sorry for the novel but wanted to give as much detail as possible. Thanks in advance!
Mike

#455686 - 02/04/18 09:44 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is my song corrupt? [Re: mbsmike]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Welcome to the forum.

You write a very clear problem statement.

Yes, BIAB files can be corrupt. No, it's not often. I would say, quite rare.

In your case, since a problem occurred on writing the file, your odds of the file being corrupt went higher.

You can go to the display options and give yourself many more rows (I think the default may only be 12) so you can see more of the song to highlight and copy.

I take it you are running BIAB from the USB drive and did not install it to your PC. It works fine, but it would be faster if you installed at least the program to your internal drive.

When BIAB doesn't start, there are two files you can delete (BIAB will rebuild them): intrface.bbw and mysetup.dk I may have the spelling wrong by memory, but that first one really is spelled wrong. BIAB should then start. And always Run BIAB As Administrator.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile; [& 2017 Mac]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#455784 - 02/05/18 10:48 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is my song corrupt? [Re: mbsmike]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I have had problems with some USB drives keeping my laptop from booting, but then never any problem with the drive itself.

We have also seen instances of where the connection inside the USB drive comes loose and operates intermittently.

I run my BIAB/RealBand locally on the internal hard drives; however, rather than run from the USB drive PGMusic sent you, I would probably opt to copy everything to another USB drive and put the master away as a backup. But that's me.

The good news is that if you find your BIAB is corrupt (and it's possible that since you had to run CHKDSK, there may be some files that didn't get fully repaired), as long as you have registered your serial number in your account on the main page, you can log into your account and download the complete BIAB 2018 package (should it come to that).

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#456072 - 02/06/18 05:17 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is my song corrupt? [Re: mbsmike]
mbsmike Online   content

Thank you for replying gentlemen.

I haven't had anytime in the studio since posting. I do believe that my BIAB usb drive is fine? As stated I opened a new song and exported and all seem to be fine. Good ideas on installing the program on my local drive and getting another USB drive to house the rest.

Would this require a uninstall and reinstall? Would I have to reupdate everything?

Fortunately I downloaded everything off the website and made a copy of the USB drive when I received it.

The write failure stumps me? All "save as" went fine, no errors. The audio export that had write failures was writing to my local drive. Seems odd?

Lets assume that these failures were separate from the main problem. Can anyone think of any reasons why there would be space for a count in but no actual count in on this export?

Thanks again
Mike

#456094 - 02/06/18 07:04 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is my song corrupt? [Re: mbsmike]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Welcome!

By default, when exporting tracks Band-in-a-Box insets two bars to account for the count-in.

You may be able to eliminate the two bars by changing some of the count-in options available at Options > Preferences > Count-in/Met. The Help file indicates these options affect playback, not exporting so these options may not change exported track files.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#456179 - 02/07/18 06:16 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is my song corrupt? [Re: mbsmike]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

It's not likely that the program is corrupted. The problem can occur in the process of working on and saving/writing files.

I had this happen one time and nothing I seemed to do would fix it. My fix was simple. I first copied the chords in the song..... highlight the entire song and select copy.....

then I opened a new project and simply pasted the chords back in and the new one worked perfectly. Give it a slightly different name and save it. Reopen it to test. If everything is fine, simply delete the old file from the computer.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#456304 - 02/07/18 02:20 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is my song corrupt? [Re: Guitarhacker]
mbsmike Online   content

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
It's not likely that the program is corrupted. The problem can occur in the process of working on and saving/writing files.

I had this happen one time and nothing I seemed to do would fix it. My fix was simple. I first copied the chords in the song..... highlight the entire song and select copy.....

then I opened a new project and simply pasted the chords back in and the new one worked perfectly. Give it a slightly different name and save it. Reopen it to test. If everything is fine, simply delete the old file from the computer.

Thanks a ton.
Glad to know I'm not the only one to experience this.

I was going to copy into a new song but could only select what was visible on the screen. Was going to try (I believe Matt suggested) but I just took it into Cubase and made my own count in.

Thanks again and any other suggestions are welcome for future challenges!
Mike

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonials!

Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at www.pgmusic.com/videotestimonials.php

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Forum Stats
27154 Members
49 Forums
50362 Topics
413473 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Ftrplt, Roanders, RmGx, GIBSON335, profesas

27154 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 247
Noel96 211