Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213385935295129&set=a.1159316015361.2025702.1001596414&type=3

Prayers or encouragement would be welcome. I'll gladly forward them to Nokie.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
He's in our prayers.

It was because of the Ventures I got into the guitar. Oh yea that plus guitarist attracted girls back then grin

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
IIRC, Nokie is 84 years old.

Mario,

I was discharged from the Army in '69 and living in Seattle. My wife's cousin, Gary Paulson, had a 3-piece band and we went out to some Seattle lounge to hear Gary's band. Nokie was already famous for his work with The Ventures but I nearly fell over to see him playing for Gary. During a break, Gary and Nokie sat with us and we became good friends through all these years.

Here's a track from his last ( and probably final album: "Nokie Picks On Buddy Holly".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHg5qijLFK8

https://youtu.be/egsStxsbzk4

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Store near me has an autographed guitar from him.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Store near me has an autographed guitar from him.

Eddie,

Probably a Mosrite. They've done a few Nokie models.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It's actually a black Strat.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Okay.

Nokie designed the guitar he's playing as well as the Mosrite "Hitchhiker". I believe Nokie has a piece of Mosrite.

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Prayers offered for Nokie and his family and friends, especially you Donny.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

Mario,

I was discharged from the Army in '69 and living in Seattle. My wife's cousin, Gary Paulson, had a 3-piece band and we went out to some Seattle lounge to hear Gary's band. Nokie was already famous for his work with The Ventures but I nearly fell over to see him playing for Gary. During a break, Gary and Nokie sat with us and we became good friends through all these years.

Here's a track from his last ( and probably final album: "Nokie Picks On Buddy Holly".

Thanx so much for these. I didn't know that he kept on making albums. Now my bank account is going down as I must have them.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Mario,

Here's a track from his last ( and probably final album: "Nokie Picks On Buddy Holly" ).

Thanx so much for these. I didn't know that he kept on making albums. Now my bank account is going down as I must have them.

My dear friend Mario,

The great guitarist that you are, you likely noticed the machine head on Thom Bresh's guitar. The shape was drawn on a restaurant place-mat by Thom's dad, Merle Travis, decades before Leo Fender copied it. That is actually a Martin guitar made especially for Merle. The limited edition model is a D-28M ( for Merle ) and they only made one!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Mario,

Here's a track from his last ( and probably final album: "Nokie Picks On Buddy Holly" ).

My dear friend Mario,

The great guitarist that you are, you likely noticed the machine head on Thom Bresh's guitar. The shape was drawn on a restaurant place-mat by Thom's dad, Merle Travis, decades before Leo Fender copied it. That is actually a Martin guitar made especially for Merle. The limited edition model is a D-28M ( for Merle ) and they only made one!

I didn't know that! I thought it was a Fender Acoustic!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Mario,

My dear friend Mario,

I didn't know that! I thought it was a Fender Acoustic!

Mario,

I'm not that bright but Thom explained it on this site. It's an hour interview/session and well worth your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6l3GKN6AEE

Thom uses BIAB and I may get him to post to the User Showcase. He certainly is a master thumb picker like his dad.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don

Tell him he has my thoughts and prayers (I don't don't do fakebook)

Like Mario their playing is probably a reason I wanted to play "electric guitar," (but real driving force was girls and pheromones- LOL).

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 02/07/18 06:52 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Stay strong, Nokie.

You sure brought us a lot of great listening entertainment.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Stay strong, Nokie.

You sure brought us a lot of great listening entertainment.

Thom Bresh reminded me that Nokie loves clean, non-offensive jokes. Post your favorites here and I will forward to Judy, Nokie's dear wife.

BTW, Nokie is full-blooded Cherokee so carries his age very well.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Is it his heart again? I believe he had a major heart issue about 5 years back.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Is it his heart again? I believe he had a major heart issue about 5 years back.

Eddie,

Thom Bresh says he's been in the hospital several times of late. I'm sorry to not have the details. Several surgeries as I understand.

His Wikipedia write-up is phenomenal.

I know that he was recording the Buddy Holly album in Japan ( he says that the Japanese fans have been the most loyal on the planet ) but I don't think it has ever been completed. Now, I hesitate to ask.

Nokie, Thom, Richard Smith ( qv ), and John Knowles ( Chet Atkins' go-to-guy ) all use BIAB. I'm hoping to get them to post their work on Users' Showcase . Stay tuned.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Him & his are in our prayers for sure.

I played Mosrite guitars very little over the years, but I always liked the look! And as a drummer, if you did not know Walk Don't Run & their version of Cherokee you were NOT a drummer! LOL!

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I was in Misawa Japan in the Air Force between 65 and 67. I joined a GI band called the Yellowjackets (yeah, I know). Several players changed because of guys shipping in/out. A replacement guitarist played the crap out of the Ventures and other surf stuff like Dick Dale. It went over huge over there then we found out the Ventures lived in Japan. We learned a few more of their tunes. They did a show not far from the base so of course we went. They did this killer drum solo where the drummer first did a standard solo then got off his stool and walked around the drum set keeping the beat the whole time on the cymbals, the stands and the body of the drums then he took his sticks to the bass guitar and they both played a bass solo. And it wasn't just that, the drummer was leading the crowd too. Very effective and showy. Our drummer was good enough to copy it and it really went over well for us too.

As a keys player there wasn't a whole lot for me to do but our drummer and guitarist were very solid and I can't exaggerate just how much the crowd ate it up. They simply loved the Ventures in Japan and I'm all about the fun factor. If the crowd is having fun so am I.

Our band was stable for about 18 months and we scored two big bookings through the USO for some Japanese charities. We could have had more but as active duty GI's in different units we could not get it coordinated. That Ventures drum skit helped turn us into a rock and roll show group which also scored us a couple of big paying gigs in addition to the USO ones.

It basically was the Ventures that helped turn a freezing cold crappy assignment in nowheresville Japan into a tolerable stay for me. When someone would ask me how I liked Japan I would say if you were from another country and spent two years in Minot N. Dakota and then someone asked you how you liked the US, how would you answer? Nothing against Minot but I'm from LA ya know?

I saw them some years ago at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach, CA. They did the exact same drum/bass solo bit I saw in Japan. I had a chance to talk to them and we shared several Japanese gig stories. I told them we copied their drum bit and they got a laugh out of that.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I remember the Live in Japan album. When they introduced everybody, adding the Japanese "sahn" at the end, it Was Nokie Edwardssahn, Bob Boglesahn, and then I wondered but yes it was Don Wilsonsahn, which I found to be like John Smith Smith, yet when they got to drums, it was just Mel Taylor.

Why didn't Mel get a sahn?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195