Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#456292 - 02/07/18 01:14 PM [Off-Topic] My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing .
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213385935295129&set=a.1159316015361.2025702.1001596414&type=3

Prayers or encouragement would be welcome. I'll gladly forward them to Nokie.

#456296 - 02/07/18 01:46 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: Don Gaynor]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
He's in our prayers.

It was because of the Ventures I got into the guitar. Oh yea that plus guitarist attracted girls back then grin

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#456302 - 02/07/18 02:08 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: MarioD]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

IIRC, Nokie is 84 years old.

Mario,

I was discharged from the Army in '69 and living in Seattle. My wife's cousin, Gary Paulson, had a 3-piece band and we went out to some Seattle lounge to hear Gary's band. Nokie was already famous for his work with The Ventures but I nearly fell over to see him playing for Gary. During a break, Gary and Nokie sat with us and we became good friends through all these years.

Here's a track from his last ( and probably final album: "Nokie Picks On Buddy Holly".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHg5qijLFK8

https://youtu.be/egsStxsbzk4

#456305 - 02/07/18 02:20 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: Don Gaynor]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Store near me has an autographed guitar from him.

#456308 - 02/07/18 02:44 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: eddie1261]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Store near me has an autographed guitar from him.

Eddie,

Probably a Mosrite. They've done a few Nokie models.

#456311 - 02/07/18 02:54 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: Don Gaynor]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

It's actually a black Strat.

#456312 - 02/07/18 03:04 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: eddie1261]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Okay.

Nokie designed the guitar he's playing as well as the Mosrite "Hitchhiker". I believe Nokie has a piece of Mosrite.

#456327 - 02/07/18 03:39 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: Don Gaynor]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Prayers offered for Nokie and his family and friends, especially you Donny.

#456341 - 02/07/18 05:11 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: Don Gaynor]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

Mario,

I was discharged from the Army in '69 and living in Seattle. My wife's cousin, Gary Paulson, had a 3-piece band and we went out to some Seattle lounge to hear Gary's band. Nokie was already famous for his work with The Ventures but I nearly fell over to see him playing for Gary. During a break, Gary and Nokie sat with us and we became good friends through all these years.

Here's a track from his last ( and probably final album: "Nokie Picks On Buddy Holly".

Thanx so much for these. I didn't know that he kept on making albums. Now my bank account is going down as I must have them.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#456350 - 02/07/18 06:26 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: MarioD]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD

Mario,

Here's a track from his last ( and probably final album: "Nokie Picks On Buddy Holly" ).

Thanx so much for these. I didn't know that he kept on making albums. Now my bank account is going down as I must have them.

My dear friend Mario,

The great guitarist that you are, you likely noticed the machine head on Thom Bresh's guitar. The shape was drawn on a restaurant place-mat by Thom's dad, Merle Travis, decades before Leo Fender copied it. That is actually a Martin guitar made especially for Merle. The limited edition model is a D-28M ( for Merle ) and they only made one!

#456355 - 02/07/18 07:17 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: Don Gaynor]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Mario,

Here's a track from his last ( and probably final album: "Nokie Picks On Buddy Holly" ).

My dear friend Mario,

The great guitarist that you are, you likely noticed the machine head on Thom Bresh's guitar. The shape was drawn on a restaurant place-mat by Thom's dad, Merle Travis, decades before Leo Fender copied it. That is actually a Martin guitar made especially for Merle. The limited edition model is a D-28M ( for Merle ) and they only made one!

I didn't know that! I thought it was a Fender Acoustic!

#456356 - 02/07/18 07:35 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: MarioD]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Mario,

My dear friend Mario,

I didn't know that! I thought it was a Fender Acoustic!

Mario,

I'm not that bright but Thom explained it on this site. It's an hour interview/session and well worth your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6l3GKN6AEE

Thom uses BIAB and I may get him to post to the User Showcase. He certainly is a master thumb picker like his dad.

#456358 - 02/07/18 08:51 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: Don Gaynor]
Larry Kehl Online   content
Veteran

Loc: New Mexico
Don

Tell him he has my thoughts and prayers (I don't don't do fakebook)

Like Mario their playing is probably a reason I wanted to play "electric guitar," (but real driving force was girls and pheromones- LOL).

Larry

Edited by Larry Kehl (02/07/18 08:52 PM)
Win10Pro64,i78086K,32GB,2TBSSD+14GB HDD,1080TI,Scarlett18i8,MIDI4x4,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,GR-50,Integra7,XV5080,Fantom-XR,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL20, SO3,MC8,AD2,ST3,Kontakt5,Amptube4,etc.. but I'm really a guitar player;AXE FX III+++

#456385 - 02/08/18 04:01 AM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: Don Gaynor]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Stay strong, Nokie.

You sure brought us a lot of great listening entertainment.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#456433 - 02/08/18 08:39 AM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: VideoTrack]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Stay strong, Nokie.

You sure brought us a lot of great listening entertainment.

Thom Bresh reminded me that Nokie loves clean, non-offensive jokes. Post your favorites here and I will forward to Judy, Nokie's dear wife.

BTW, Nokie is full-blooded Cherokee so carries his age very well.

#456490 - 02/08/18 12:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: Don Gaynor]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Is it his heart again? I believe he had a major heart issue about 5 years back.

#456497 - 02/08/18 02:11 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: eddie1261]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Is it his heart again? I believe he had a major heart issue about 5 years back.

Eddie,

Thom Bresh says he's been in the hospital several times of late. I'm sorry to not have the details. Several surgeries as I understand.

His Wikipedia write-up is phenomenal.

I know that he was recording the Buddy Holly album in Japan ( he says that the Japanese fans have been the most loyal on the planet ) but I don't think it has ever been completed. Now, I hesitate to ask.

Nokie, Thom, Richard Smith ( qv ), and John Knowles ( Chet Atkins' go-to-guy ) all use BIAB. I'm hoping to get them to post their work on Users' Showcase . Stay tuned.

#456552 - 02/08/18 10:43 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: Don Gaynor]
jcspro40 Offline
Expert

Loc: Ohio-USA
Him & his are in our prayers for sure.

I played Mosrite guitars very little over the years, but I always liked the look! And as a drummer, if you did not know Walk Don't Run & their version of Cherokee you were NOT a drummer! LOL!
Intel Core2Quad 3.2Ghz, 8gb memory, 1gb nVidia dual monitor card, 1tb OS/2x 3tb Internal HDD, 12tb External HDD, dual LG 27" Monitors, E-Mu 1820 Sound Card, Win Vista/Win7 x64 Ultimate, BiaB/RB 2018, Reaper 4.75, Mixbus 32C, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, ETC

#457429 - 02/13/18 03:56 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: Don Gaynor]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
I was in Misawa Japan in the Air Force between 65 and 67. I joined a GI band called the Yellowjackets (yeah, I know). Several players changed because of guys shipping in/out. A replacement guitarist played the crap out of the Ventures and other surf stuff like Dick Dale. It went over huge over there then we found out the Ventures lived in Japan. We learned a few more of their tunes. They did a show not far from the base so of course we went. They did this killer drum solo where the drummer first did a standard solo then got off his stool and walked around the drum set keeping the beat the whole time on the cymbals, the stands and the body of the drums then he took his sticks to the bass guitar and they both played a bass solo. And it wasn't just that, the drummer was leading the crowd too. Very effective and showy. Our drummer was good enough to copy it and it really went over well for us too.

As a keys player there wasn't a whole lot for me to do but our drummer and guitarist were very solid and I can't exaggerate just how much the crowd ate it up. They simply loved the Ventures in Japan and I'm all about the fun factor. If the crowd is having fun so am I.

Our band was stable for about 18 months and we scored two big bookings through the USO for some Japanese charities. We could have had more but as active duty GI's in different units we could not get it coordinated. That Ventures drum skit helped turn us into a rock and roll show group which also scored us a couple of big paying gigs in addition to the USO ones.

It basically was the Ventures that helped turn a freezing cold crappy assignment in nowheresville Japan into a tolerable stay for me. When someone would ask me how I liked Japan I would say if you were from another country and spent two years in Minot N. Dakota and then someone asked you how you liked the US, how would you answer? Nothing against Minot but I'm from LA ya know?

I saw them some years ago at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach, CA. They did the exact same drum/bass solo bit I saw in Japan. I had a chance to talk to them and we shared several Japanese gig stories. I told them we copied their drum bit and they got a laugh out of that.

Bob

#457433 - 02/13/18 04:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My friend of 55 years, Nokie Edwards of The Ventures is ailing . [Re: Don Gaynor]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

I remember the Live in Japan album. When they introduced everybody, adding the Japanese "sahn" at the end, it Was Nokie Edwardssahn, Bob Boglesahn, and then I wondered but yes it was Don Wilsonsahn, which I found to be like John Smith Smith, yet when they got to drums, it was just Mel Taylor.

Why didn't Mel get a sahn?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Happy National iPod Day! Celebrate with Pitch Invasion

The iPod was introduced on October 23, 2001 - it's hard to believe we've had the iPod available to us for so long!

Spend some time on your iPod today playing our Pitch Invasion App, reviewed as "A great to pass the time and work on pitch recognition."

Band-in-a-Box® Backing Tracks on the Masterclass 'Melodic Choices' Tour!

The Masterclass 'Melodic Choices' tour with Michael Dolce is on its final month, with dates remaining in Australia!

Michael uses Band-in-a-Box® to create the tracks for this tour!

A few images from the event:
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

A little information about Michael Dolce :
Michael Dolce is one of Australia's premier guitarists whose career spans over 27 years. He has worked with Delta Goodrem, Lionel Richie, The Madden Brothers, Good Charlotte, Keith Urban, Kelly Rowland, Kylie Minogue, Roachford, Jessica Mauboy, Ricky Martin, Ronan Keating, Jessie J, Seal, Will-I-Am, Paulini, Marvin Priest and many more. He is the house guitarist for the hit show 'The Voice' and has been touring the country with his 'Masterclass' series for the past 3 years sharing his concepts, approach, technique and knowledge.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows - User Programmable Functions

But, what if you want to be able to tell the program to do MORE than that?

Head to Chapter 14: User Programmable Functions within the online manual, and you'll learn more about programmable features like:

The StyleMaker
Create brand-new styles or edit existing styles!

Making RealDrums Styles
Template file included! You can either record a drummer, or you can piece together a wave file using drum loops!

The Harmony Maker
Create or edit your own (or existing) harmonies!

The Soloist Maker and The Melodist Maker
Define your own Soloists or Melodists in whichever style you'd like!

The Guitarist Maker
The program will intelligently arrange any melody to a guitar chord solo by inserting real guitar voicings throughout the piece. There are many preloaded Guitarists to choose from, or you can customize existing Guitarists’ settings or make your own Guitarists from scratch using this feature.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Review - Software for Learning Saxophone

McGill Music Sax School posted a video review of Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows last year, stating "I love using software to help learn saxophone. One of my favourite programs is Band-in-a-Box. It's a really powerful tool for quickly making backing tracks I can use for lessons, or my own practice."

Check it out! www.pgmusic.com/?vid=2AgfV7emdLQ

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Importing MIDI Files

Did you know that Standard MIDI files can be read in to the Melodist or Soloist track within Band-in-a-Box? You can use all of the MIDI File, or select channels or a specific range of bars, using these steps:
1. Melody | Import Melody from MIDI File to select a MIDI file from disk using the file dialog.
2. Melody | Import Melody from Clipboard - when the MIDI data is already copied from another program to the
clipboard.

A new window will open, asking for additional criteria - which channels, # of bars to offset..., # of bars to import, include lyrics, include patch changes - and more! Head to our online manual Chapter 10: Working with MIDI to learn more!

YouTube Find - Your First 15 Minutes with Band-in-a-Box

Woody Piano Shack recently got their hands on Band-in-a-Box after a long time without the program - and they're thrilled!!

Check out this video they've shared to their YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/9dxSfwjBvG0

Thanks Woody Piano Shack!

National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

Forum Stats
28094 Members
57 Forums
54501 Topics
450793 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Cássio stones, Molldur, Frans, Gregle, sergio2018

28094 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 202