You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#456640 - 02/09/18 01:03 PM [Off-Topic] Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help!
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Knowing the operator as intimately as I do, he's my first suspect.

I'm working in BIAB and trying to drag an mp3 into the "Drop
Zone". As I recall, there should be some indication that the mp3 was actually loaded into BIAB. I see no such indication.

Yes, I read the manual to no avail.

If anyone is familiar with the "Drop Zone" please jump in and edify me right in front of everybody.

I'm sure that the solution is something very simple but I'm feeling very stupid.

#456708 - 02/09/18 06:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: Don Gaynor]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Don,

Are you wanting to export a SGU song file as a MP3 or wanting to import a MP3 file into Band-in-a-Box?

Have you tried using the menu commands as an alternative method to see if the menu selections work?

I don't believe the drop station can be used to import into BiaB. I believe the drop station is only for exporting out of BiaB.

If your exporting have you used file explorer to browse to bb/DragDrop to look if any files are in the sub folder?
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#456747 - 02/10/18 05:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: Jim Fogle]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Don,

Are you wanting to export a SGU song file as a MP3 or wanting to import a MP3 file into Band-in-a-Box?

Have you tried using the menu commands as an alternative method to see if the menu selections work?

I don't believe the drop station can be used to import into BiaB. I believe the drop station is only for exporting out of BiaB.

If your exporting have you used file explorer to browse to bb/DragDrop to look if any files are in the sub folder?

Jim,

Perhaps my memory is failing but I think that I remember dragging an .mp3 and .wav to the drop station in v2017. I'll try your suggestion later today and report back.

Thanks,

#456750 - 02/10/18 06:19 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: Don Gaynor]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

BRAVO!!! It looks like the problem is being addressed in patch 510. Downloading now!

PG ROCKS ( But they talk funny, eh? )

Welp that wasn't the answer. Guess I wait till Monday then call Support.

#456756 - 02/10/18 06:56 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: Don Gaynor]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Tuesday. Monday is a holiday for them.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile; [& 2017 Mac]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#456769 - 02/10/18 07:49 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: Matt Finley]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Tuesday. Monday is a holiday for them.

Thanks, Matt.

I have a bit of free time this weekend so was hoping to have this solved before Monday/Tuesday. If the Drop Station works for you, it may be wise for me to try a complete reinstall. I chose to load everything to my computer so it's possible that a critical file became corrupted in the process.

If you're using 2018 for Windows, will you please check if Drop Station works for you? Report on this thread.

Thanks.

#456772 - 02/10/18 08:06 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: Don Gaynor]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Hi Don, I tried dropping a MP3 into the drop box and it does not work. Clicking on File/Open Special/open audio does work.

Good luck.

Edited by MarioD (02/10/18 08:07 AM)

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#456792 - 02/10/18 09:56 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: MarioD]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hi Don, I tried dropping a MP3 into the drop box and it does not work. Clicking on File/Open Special/open audio does work.

Good luck.

Mario,

Am I correct in thinking that Drop Station is supposed to allow dragging audio files into BIAB? IIRC, it worked in v2017. Leave it to be the Irish to bus' stuff up!

Edited by Don Gaynor (02/10/18 09:58 AM)

#456820 - 02/10/18 11:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: Don Gaynor]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Don,

I don't use Drop Station but I've always rightly or wrongly thought that it was only a one-way street. It's purpose is to get files out OUT of BIAB as either some form of audio (wav, mp3, etc) or MIDI.

My understanding is that by dragging to the appropriate sector on the Drop Station grid, a particular type of file is created. This file can then be found in "bb\DragDrop". I have never tried dragging audio into BIAB using this.

I just tried dragging an external mp3 over to the Dropzone and it doesn't do anything.

=========

TO CHECK THAT DRAG N DROP IS INDEED WORKING, try running through the following....

Quote:
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.... check that under "Options | MIDI/Audio Driver Setup", that you have Coyote WT installed.

Dragging and dropping requires a VSTi/DXi synth to be active. See #2, #3, #4 and #5 on IMAGE 1 below.

I'd also click on #6 and set the AUDIO DRIVER to MME (the default installation now sets this to WAS).

After the above, try creating an MP3. Below is what I did to accomplish this.

1. I left-clicked on the "Master" track.

2. Held the mouse button down.

3. Dragged the mouse to the mp3 sector in the Drag 'n' Drop zone.

The mp3 sector of the DnD zone, first turned orange to show that I had dropped the information successfully. It then turned green to show that the mp3 had been created. (See the two 'mp3' DnD zone images below. These are labelled IMAGE 2.)

I also tried dragging the 'Master' to the plus sign in the middle of the Drag 'n' Drop zone.

When I did this, a dialogue window opened and let me choose what audio format I wanted to save. (See IMAGE 3 below of the dialogue window.)

Best regards,
Noel

Attachments
coyote WT default setup.JPG

Description: IMAGE 1... setting Coyote WT as the default VSTi/DXi synth.

drag n drop mp3 audio.JPG

Description: IMAGE 2... drag 'Master' to mp3 to create compressed audio of entire song

drag to plus sign for audio dialog choice.JPG

Description: IMAGE 3... Drag to '+' sign to get choice of output audio format

#456844 - 02/10/18 02:17 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: Don Gaynor]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Don,

As a check on the above, I've just loaded BIAB 2017. That version of the program also doesn't let me load audio files into BIAB by dropping them on the drop zone.

Lastly, when I checked back to 2014 through the pdf manuals, there was no mention that audio could be brought into BIAB via dragging it onto the drop zone.

It would seem that if this process worked, it was by serendipity and not by design!

Regards,
Noel

#457085 - 02/11/18 04:59 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: Noel96]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Don,

As a check on the above, I've just loaded BIAB 2017. That version of the program also doesn't let me load audio files into BIAB by dropping them on the drop zone.

Lastly, when I checked back to 2014 through the pdf manuals, there was no mention that audio could be brought into BIAB via dragging it onto the drop zone.

It would seem that if this process worked, it was by serendipity and not by design!

Regards,
Noel

Noel,

Now I am even further perplexed.

After discovering that Coyote didn't install, I did a complete uninstall/reinstall ( read 2+ hours ) only to find that still no Coyote!?

Additionally, my boot-up speed went up from about 40 seconds to 225 seconds.

I think, rather than running BIAB from my computer's C Drive, I'll have to to run it from the BIAB USB external drive.

I don't even know how to formulate an intelligent question for the Support staff.

I don't know what else to try.

#457169 - 02/12/18 11:24 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: Don Gaynor]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Don,

That's really strange. I don't have an immediate answer for what you are experiencing.

I'm heading off to work now. When I return this evening, I'll have a look at the install options on 2018 and see if I can offer some more advice.

Back in touch in half a day,
Noel

#457199 - 02/12/18 03:13 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: Don Gaynor]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
This is yet another thread in the wrong forum. It's a Biab question so why is it here in the Off Topic forum?

I'm really, really not trying to be a total dweeb here. If this is a real Biab issue, don't you think other Biab users who may have never looked at the Off Topic forum might want to read about it?

Bob

#457216 - 02/12/18 05:40 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: jazzmammal]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Bob,

No argument here. Sometimes I try to reach those friends who know me and my limitations best. It's difficult to change trains this far into the journey.

My only option would be to quit posting. I would do that rather than to offend anyone.

#457251 - 02/12/18 11:27 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Drag/Drop doesn't seem to work. Please help! [Re: Don Gaynor]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Don,

Just checking...

When you say that Coyote WT hasn't installed, I find myself wondering if maybe it's installed but just hasn't been activated.

To doublecheck this...

1. Open "Options | Midi/Audio driver setup"

2. Select "MS Wavetable Synth" (#1 on the IMAGE 1 below)

3. Activate "Use VSTi/DXi Synth" (#2 on IMAGE 1)

4. Click on the "VSTi/DXi Synth Settings" button if the VST window doesn't open (#3 on IMAGE 1)

A new window will pop up....

5. Now select "Default Synth" (#4 on IMAGE 2) in the window that opens.

6. Click on the drop down menu (#5 on IMAGE 2)

7. Check to see if Coyote WT is in the list. If it is, select it (#6 on IMAGE 2)

Attachments
coyote wt 2018 1.JPG

Description: IMAGE 1... MIDI/Audio Driver Setup

coyote wt 2018 2.JPG

Description: IMAGE 2.... Adding a softsynth

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonials!

Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at www.pgmusic.com/videotestimonials.php

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Forum Stats
27148 Members
49 Forums
50349 Topics
413349 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
gex, okelly, Hakans Evergreen, serg_s_baklanov, Hisham Hammad

27147 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 258
Noel96 219