#456464 02/08/18 08:16 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
BIABDEX Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello,
I have Band in a Box 2017 pro.
Is there a mixer for the drum set only? So that I can make, for example, only the hi-hat louder or the rimshot or quieter the ride cymbal? Without having to change the whole style?
Or is there a plug-in? That's an important thing.
I am looking forward to answers.
Thanks.

BIABDEX #456480 02/08/18 09:40 AM
Veteran
Veteran
If you are using MIDI drums then you can adjust the velocity level for each instrument part like snare, kick, high-hat and so on. There is also some MIDI tools that can automate changing velocity.

RealDrums originate from a stereo audio file so you do not have access to the individual instruments. However with clever use of equalization you can significantly alter the sound of the stereo audio track thus highlighting the sound of individual instruments. There are also third party tools that mask the original instrument sound, or sounds, and replace the original sound with a sampled drum sound. Do an internet search using the term "drum replacement VST or app".

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
B
BIABDEX Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for your reply.
"If you are using MIDI drums then you can adjust the velocity level for each instrument part like snare, kick, high-hat and so on. There is also some MIDI tools that can automate changing velocity."
Where is it?
Do your mean "edith the current style" where I have to change all the velocity numbers? With each Pattern?
This would be incredibly uncomfortable.

BIABDEX #456576 02/09/18 12:58 AM
Expert
Expert
It should be possible to export the drum track out to a midi file and adjust the individual parts "hi hat", "snare", "kick drum" etc. pull the midi into a daw in the midi file each part appears as a note on its own line. Kick drum note C, snare maybe D and so on. In Sonar for example it is very easy to adjust the overall velocity of a part or the entire kit (or indeed volume if preferred). It is also very easy to randomise velocities within a range. I imagine most daws would have similar features.

Just a thought

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
BIABDEX #456582 02/09/18 01:52 AM
Expert
Expert
Hello BIABDEX

If you go to - Preferences > Drum kit > check Set Drum Volumes > Set Drum Kit Volumes - you can do what you are looking for in Midi Drums

Just experiment with this option

jazzman

Last edited by Jazzman; 02/09/18 03:30 AM.

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Zoo computer with 7i processor- SSD 1TB -2TB HDD
Roland keyboards
Jazzman #456758 02/10/18 04:58 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
First and foremost, I am a 100% consumer of Real Drums.
I don't do any midi drums at all inside biab.

But, It would be a great thing to get more control over real drums.

As mentiones, a volume mixer would be a great for all the items in the current kit

Perhaps also A simple/complex slidebar (or wahtever UI object) to change the complexity of the groove being played.

For example, the drummers capability in Apple's Logic Pro X are quite compelling.
It would be fantastic to have some of those capabilities in BIAB.

Just saying, perhaps we could spin up a wish list item for the Real Drums

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
mrgeeze #456802 02/10/18 08:32 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Perform a search and you'll find multi-track RealDrums has been requested multiple times in the Wishlist forum.

Since RealDrums are stereo audio files I can't think of any way other than heavy use of frequency limited equalization bands to highlight or suppress specific instruments within a drum set. There are programs that perform just that function but they are pretty expensive ($99 to $150 US). These programs typically take the next step and replace the individual instrument sounds with triggered samples so the music producer can have the exact sound desired. +++ HERE +++ is a Sound-On-Sound article that explains the process very well.

In general I believe adding frequency band equalization would add an expensive feature to Band-in-a-Box that I'm not willing to pay the cost for.

Some people desiring to have more control over the drum sounds heard in their music abandon RealDrums and resort to the use of drum loops by +++ Drum Drops +++, +++ Drums On Demand +++ and +++ Beta Monkey +++ or use a virtual drummer like +++ RealiDrums +++, +++ EZ Drummer +++ and +++ Steven Slate +++

Jazzman #456824 02/10/18 10:06 AM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Jazzman
Hello BIABDEX

If you go to - Preferences > Drum kit > check Set Drum Volumes > Set Drum Kit Volumes - you can do what you are looking for in Midi Drums

Just note that this feature which works fine for MIDI Drums is a global setting and not a song dependent setting.

It would make much sense to have a song dependent setting.

Reach for excellence
Veteran
Veteran
Another option would be in a DAW to copy the drum track a few times then EQ each track to bring out one of the drums while suppressing the others. You can use any EQ program to do this, including the one that comes with your DAW. This includes RB.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #456868 02/10/18 02:40 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Ah Mario, I was saving that suggestion until the very last. No need to share all the secrets Recording Revolution has to offer! smile

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Ah Mario, I was saving that suggestion until the very last. No need to share all the secrets Recording Revolution has to offer! smile

OK Jim, I'll say nothing about using reverb in a bus. I'll leave that for you wink

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
Hi John-Luke

Agree - it would make so much more sense if it were song dependant as right now you set it up for one style and get a different result with another

jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Zoo computer with 7i processor- SSD 1TB -2TB HDD
Roland keyboards
BIABDEX #456930 02/11/18 03:33 AM
Veteran
Veteran
It's one of the reasons why I use MIDI drums almost exclusively.

I export to a sequencer/DAW and have complete control of every drum instrument.

I can highlight or choose any drum note in the change filter and make it louder or softer by an arbitrary number or a percentage.

Plus, with a simple drag and drop I can even turn the cymbal into a cowbell, a snare into a side-stick, a shaker into a hi-hat or whatever a want.

I can move certain beats or sub-beats to change the groove, turn a gentle swing into a hard swing, rush or drag the weak beats, and nudge certain drum instruments a couple of tics ahead of the others. I find pushing the hi-hat a couple of ticks ahead will make it come out of the mix a little better without turning it up. There are dozens more tricks I've discovered or read about.

I can even change drum kits to one more appropriate for the song I'm working on.

MIDI is thousands of times more editable than Audio and with a good sound module the MIDI parts can sound 90% or more as good as the real instrument, so close that 99.99% of your audience can't tell the difference. So with the editing capabilities, you can end up with better, more expressive music with MIDI.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Of course, there is more than one right way to make music, and my way might not be the best way for you.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
I'm with Notes. MIDI is the perfect choice for drums as drums are one instrument that MIDI emulates perfectly. Plus the sound source does not have to be expensive. Even some of the free drum kits available sound great.

BIABDEX #456957 02/11/18 06:17 AM
Veteran
Veteran
If it’s RealDrums, and the premade drum mix bothered me enough, I would work on individual sounds using an EQ plugin set to a very narrow Q. Something really offensive like a loud cymbal, say.

And there’s always Melodyne Editor if this needs to be taken to a possibly insane level.

If you have found a RealDrum that you think is actually wrong, with a clearly wrong mix on the kit, you can report it to PG Music. If they agree, they can remix it and issue a patch. This has occurred a couple of time in testing. Although it was rare that several of us would agree on the need for change, when we did, they adjusted it. I don’t think this has happened since the early days of RealDrums, but it’s possible.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
BIABDEX #459897 03/01/18 07:56 PM
Veteran
Veteran
A multiband compressor + EQ may help with the stereo file.
I would caution "be careful what you wish for" with regard to mixing real drums.
REAL multitracked drums are hard work to EQ, pan & mix.
The RealDrums aren't very flexible but they are, generally, an excellent mix already.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
BIABDEX #459905 03/01/18 09:17 PM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
There's also free MT Power Drummer.
Set it as Default Synth (if you have no other midi tracks using it).
Set the RealDrum track to Force Drums to MIDI drums, or in RealDrums Preferences uncheck Enable RealDrums, this will give you Midi Drums with a mixer as default.

http://www.powerdrumkit.com/ Win/Mac
http://www.powerdrumkit.com/presets.htm

Also https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/2016/02/06/sm-drums-sforzando-1-0/
and, if you want more control over Real Drums https://www.ujam.com/
these are Real Drums playing but give full control over the mix, it has heaps of styles and presets.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Biab-MT-Drums.png (745 KB, 143 downloads)
Biab-UJAM-VD.png (626.4 KB, 138 downloads)
BIABDEX #459997 03/02/18 09:02 AM
Veteran
Veteran
This subject is a perfect example of Biab NOT being a DAW. This level of editing is not was it's designed to do. You have to remember what Biab is. It creates generic backing tracks for you to practice with or use as a teaching tool. It's not designed to finalize a full music production. Use Real Band or a standard DAW for that.

MrGeeze, the example you cited like changing the power or style of the drums or separating each part of a kit are all midi techniques. You can do that in Jamstix or Superior Drums and other drum plugins. They're not using prerecorded audio files. Single audio sample hits yes, but full stereo recordings of the entire kit, no. Editing audio is a whole different thing.

Like Matt said yes you can edit an audio file but it requires a nerd kid with a degree in digital audio who has thousands and thousands of dollars worth of the best software out there. He can do it but all us old farts? Fuggettaboutit.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Pipeline #460040 03/02/18 01:24 PM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
A choice would be good for those that want simple ready mixed stereo or a multichannel full control version.

UJAM Virtual Drummer is good for those that want "Real Drums", it will give you live linear playing of Real Drums as well as all the single hits that can be triggered by adding midi notes in the piano roll, so you can put the note switches in the midi drum track to sync/start what playing you need then you can add any drum solos by adding GM midi where ever you like. You can import a midi drum track from a midi file that has a classic solo to another track and simply copy the sections in the piano roll you want to add to the Real Drumming track as fills solos riffs etc..

Just thought I would give you some more options, maybe someone will find helpful now or down the track.

Pipeline #461720 03/11/18 04:43 PM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195