Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
On my old computers, I often use WordPad for words, it used to open up in the full screen mode.

In Win10 it opens in the portrait mode, and my words don't fit without word wrap which makes it too long to fit all the words in one screen without a page down.

If I use landscape mode, it fits, and I can save it that way, but as soon as I open the file again it opens in portrait mode.

So does anyone know how to open it in either full screen or portrait mode by default?

If not, another recommendation for a very light on the resources, basic, instant loading replacement.

I'm still using an XP computer on stage so it doesn't matter, but some day it will reach it's expiration date and go kaput, so I want to head this off at the pass.

I don't rely on words unless the song is new, or if I get distracted in the middle of a song (like somebody coming up and trying to talk to me while I'm singing). It's nice to have them there if I get out of the zone.

Thanks,
Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

the links are the result of a google search
i did not have time to test them at post time
having taken the time to verify sadly i can report they do not work in windows 10

WordPad alternatives
http://www.techshout.com/alternatives/2013/29/wordpad-alternatives/

Last edited by pghboemike; 02/16/18 08:01 PM.

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Veteran
Veteran
Mike, I'm curious about this too. The question is about Win 10, your links are about Win 7.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks.

It worked in Win 95, 98, XP, 7, and 8 but not Win10.

I liked WordPad because it is built into Windows, so it doesn't crash, it's light weight and loads immediately.

Now with Win 10 the seem to be making it more like a paper copy word processor.

I can view words in the landscape mode, save it that way, but when I reopen it comes letter and they don't fit.

I too googled with no results for Win10. Perhaps what MS sees as an improvement to WordPad is a liability to me.

I guess I should look for something else to open .rtf files that is screen sized instead of paper sized.

Any suggestions?

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
Veteran
Notepad++ ?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Notepad++ ?

Agreed, unless you own Microsoft Office, Word can open them.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks. I don't think that will do.

I like to make the word fonts bold (Verdana) and the chord fonts small (Arial narrow and in red) so a glance can find what I need.

Perhaps the answer is when I'm done, print to pdf or PrintScreen and save as a gif or jpg

I've investigated quite a few WordPad alternatives but none of them seem to want to open in full screen. I suppose most people like WYSIWYG on a page image on the screen. But I've never been like most people wink

Notes

Veteran
Veteran
With a little effort you can change fonts, bold, etc, in Notepad++
just sayin

It has style configuration rules

Veteran
Veteran
Just thought of something Notes. Excel will do this. I'm not an expert with it but I have some projects at the office where I needed the result in landscape. Here's where it gets tricky. We work with a guy who is an expert with this stuff. He created macros for us one of which converts the Excel file to a Worddoc as landscape and it's somehow locked in. It even auto formats it so it won't word wrap, we need it all to fit on one page in landscape for printing.

If you simply reopen an Excel file you'll see all the cells and formatting and you don't want that. Excel is mostly for math based formulas for spreadsheets but it handles text too. If you don't have MS Office you can get Open Office for free. It's supposed to emulate all the features of Office, I'll bet you can do this in Open Office. They have a forum, maybe ask this question there.

If you don't know what a macro is think of it as a patch change in a DAW. You want to change all the parameters of a synth with one button push. A macro is the same, you write a script that includes multiple things you want done. Once it's written, you hit a hot key on your keyboard, the macro list opens, double click on one and voila' your screen goes crazy for a few seconds while all these changes are happening.

I'm getting a bit out of my depth here because I'm not the one who understands this stuff, the other guy does and I don't want to confuse you so this is as far as I can go. This is very tricky stuff but remembering what I do with Excel, someway somehow I know what you want can be done.

Edit: Another thing, Excel creates a "Workbook". Workbooks have as many pages as you want. Each page is called a Sheet. Each Sheet is simply displayed as a tab across the bottom of your screen. You could have say 20 songs loaded as Sheets and hit a hot key to bring any one of them to the front instantly. That way you only have to open the program once with your workbook file. Thinking further now I don't think the macro converts this to a Wordoc, it stays as Excel and I'm pretty sure the macro tells it to display the info only without all the formatting stuff visible.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 02/18/18 08:55 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
With a little effort you can change fonts, bold, etc, in Notepad++
just sayin

It has style configuration rules

Thanks, it wasn't obvious from their page.

And Bob, thanks for the Excel top.

Notes

P
Paj Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
With some apps, if you open the file directly from Explorer they will open sized and displayed exactly as saved but if you open them from within the app (viz. File Menu) they will reformat for the app display.

Paj
8^)

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks, but that doesn't work with the new WordPad (I just tried it).

I'm bogged down with gigs right now (tomorrow is my first day off in over a week) and as soon as I get some time, it's back to the replacement search.

Along with that, we learned two requests for a party tonight. Since there was no appropriate BiaB style for either, I had to do the backing track from scratch (drums, bass, and comp instruments). It's a labor of love thought.

I'll try Notepad++ first and then do a search for full page .rtf editors.

I forgot to mention, I sometimes paste a .gif or .jpg on WordPad (perhaps a line of music notation for a signature riff I'm supposed to play).

Microsoft may think it improved WordPad by making it more of a word processor, but for me it's worse.

I'm still running a 2002 Win XP ThinkPad on stage and also a Win7 one. ThinkPads last a long time so I have time to get this together. I'm just trying to avoid a disaster.

Thanks again,
Notes

Veteran
Veteran
Notepad++ won't allow the image part, as far as I know.
Maybe the Open Office alternative (?)

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I wrestled with this a while back. Word will do what you want. Wordpad won't.

And a new enough version of Office where Word uses xml files, so rather than doc files they are docx. You can load them in, switch the view, save them off and they will stay landscape. I had recipes I gathered over the years and I have them in a notecard template. When I went to Office 2013 I had to load them all and resave them, but they DO open in landscape now. Of course that would require buying Office, and that's a lot of money for software JUST for that. If you don't do spreadsheets, Power Point and such, maybe not worth the investment. I got it when I was still working because I had to support it. Word is really powerful. It will do a lot of stuff Joe Average user doesn't ever use. Mail merge for mail list mailings and such.

I remember a job at a law firm. When Wordperfect was going away, the company switched everything over to Word. Rather than learn something new, over a dozen secretaries actually quit their job. That was how I felt when I had to change my recipe file to Word.

Last edited by eddie1261; 02/24/18 03:16 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Veteran
Veteran
That's why I suggested Open Office earlier. It's supposed to do pretty much everything Word does and it's free. And another one I just thought of is the similar Office clone by Google. I know squat about that one but it could be worth checking out.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Silly question but have you tried +++ Microsoft Online +++ ? It's free and suppose to be 100% compatible with the desktop edition of Microsoft Office. +++ HERE +++ is a short review that covers the pros and cons pretty well.

The highest rated alternative is +++ Libre Office +++. The program is frequently updated and has a wealth of support available.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks y'all.

I have a copy of Libre Office - the successor to Open Office, but it's slow loading. I'm used to the old WordPad opening almost instantly.

Libre Office takes from 7-10 seconds to open (depending on the file). I'm using version 4.5, I might update to version 5.5 and see if that helps.

Microsoft Word took 11 seconds.

This is way to long. If I make a decision in the last few seconds of a song for what to play next, a wait of 5 seconds between songs can be too much. Once they start heading off the dance floor and back to their seats, it's too late to keep them there.

I have found some 'full page' text editors and bookmarked them. We are very busy gigging until mid-March so if I don't find a solution by then, I'll make a fresh HD Image, and try them one at a time.

I don't mind learning new software (although I'd rather not) if it would make my work easier or do something I'd like to add. I don't like learning new software if it doesn't fill my needs, that seems like a waste of time. Thus the questioning first.

Thanks again,
Bob

Veteran
Veteran
The slow loading time is why I suggested you try Excel. Opening the program the first time takes a few seconds but it opens as a workbook. A workbook has sheets (individual pages) as tabs across the bottom of your screen, you may be able to drag those around, dunno. I've had as many as 15 sheets in a workbook and you can either tab them or one mouse click them and the sheet opens instantly.

I know this is primitive Excel 101, it's very powerful but I'm a total rookie with it. If you're interested I just Googled "Using Excel" in YouTube and pages of hits came up and now that I've seen all that's available, I should learn more about it too. I also searched Open Office Spreadsheet and it's the same. Tons of hits.

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Bob.

Great advice, but not for me.

When I'm gigging, I'll have Windows Explorer up in alphabetical list mode. Type a couple of letters and hit enter and the song pops up. Alt+F4 and it's gone.

No mouse involved, and I can usually get a second or two of a free left hand if I'm playing sax, flute, or wind synth, and more often than not guitar.

I can even load a second song in the background, while ending the first one, Alt+F4 and the next one is up.

No mouse, no glide strip, no eraser head, means less time for my left hand if I only have a second or two.

I have well over 500 songs, so 500 tabs in Excel wouldn't work. I tried tabs in a notation app once, and that didn't work on stage for me. That's why I paste notation into WordPad.

I don't do set lists, I work the crowd, and often don't know what song I'm going to call next until the one I'm currently playing is almost over.

Especially if I'm doing up-tempo songs and the dance floor is full. I play for a baby boomer crowd most of the time, and between fast songs, if I take a second or two between songs, some people will head to their chairs and won't turn around when the next song starts. So I often run them together end-to-end like a DJ with a 'mix tape'.

I look at the faces. Do they want another? OK, I'll put another in cue (only takes typing a few letters). Do the men look tired but the women still want more? OK it's time for one of those 'dance jam' songs that the ladies like to dance to in a group. Do they all look tired, OK now it's time for one of those dances like a cha-cha or tango that the ballroom dancers live for. Everyone else can have a breather but I know the ballroom dancers will come out (you can usually tell which are the ballroom dancers by the kind of shoes they wear).

I might change my mind in the last two bars of the song.

Ok so left hand gets the next chart up on the left computer, then the right hand hits cues the next song on the right computer (while the first one is still playing in Media Player) and as soon as the song is done, right hand hits "enter" and the next one starts immediately.

My job is to study the audience, use my lifetime of experience to try to predict when the want more, what they want next, and how soon I need to get to it. I've gotten very good at playing the audience with all the practice I've had.

My goal is to give them a great time so that they have more fun than when other bands are playing, so that they stay longer and come back often.

We do a Tuesday gig in a 7 day entertainment venue (10 years now), and we draw the biggest crowd of the week - on Tuesday. Often people can't find a seat and either stand or leave. We even have a dozen or so who bring lawn chairs so that if all the seats are full, they have their own (it's outdoors at a marina, on a lagoon, with a beach past the deck). When the owners tell us we have the biggest draw of the week (including weekends) and pay us more than the other bands, it means I'm doing my job.

Of course Leilani is a great singer, I'm a decent singer, she plays guitar and synth, I play sax, flute, wind synth, guitar and synth, and the backing tracks I make myself are top-notch -- mixed for live performance so they work better than karaoke tracks.

And yes, the music is a very important part of the job, but it isn't the entire job. Performing is not a lecture, it's an emotional dialog between the band and the audience. I give to them, they give back to me, which allows me to give more to them which feeds back more to me - and so on,

Without the ability to work the crowd, and make spur of the moment decisions, the dialog wouldn't be that strong.

So what I'm looking for is something that I can mix fonts/colors on, open full screen (landscape is second choice), paste a line or two of notation (.jpg from a print screen cropped in my notation app) and open almost immediately with a couple of key strokes.

I love performing, it's the most fun I can have with my clothes on, and the more fun the audience is having, the more fun Leilani and I have.

Being on stage is not work, it's play. Sometimes I think of how lucky I am to be able to still do this past retirement age with the love of my life besides me and all that love coming from our 'extended family', the audience. And they pay me money for this (actually we play for free and charge to schlep the gear, learn new songs, and be the band salesman). laugh

Every day we gig, I strive to give them a better experience. Every song I learn and sequence I try to do better than the last one, and I try to improve my audience skills.

I'm one of the luckiest guys in the world.

But that's drifting off topic. The tools today are different from the tools we had when I started. I used to tote a tenor in one hand, an alto in the other and a flute under my arm. As a band we lugged 400+ pound B3 organs and 'voice of the theater' speakers. Now we have lighter gear, and computers. Band-in-a-Box, a good DAW, synth modules, and WordPad (or whatever I replace it with) on the screen to jog my memory when it needs it allow the two of us to put out more music than some of the 5 or 6 piece bands I've played in.

There, did it get it back on topic?

Insights, incites and related musings by Notes

Veteran
Veteran
I totally understand Notes. I will do a OMB thing on occasion using a complex Korg arranger keyboard. Lots of things for both hands to do pretty much every second.

I'm just throwing things out that I don't completely understand. One is Apple iPad apps like ForScore or Gig Perfomer (something like that). What caught my attention is backing tracks AND charts AND midi files are all linked. You just select the song and BAM, it's all there.

I just know that there's something that will work for you but you may have to discover it yourself.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195