Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#457804 02/16/18 06:57 AM
User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You are in a smoky blues bar drinking and listening to a local blues band.

This is my version of Donna Evans' Bottom Dollar Blues.(Now I can give a listen to the other versions!)

BiaB style Jazz Ballard w/electric piano is supplying the drums (which I slightly modified to better fit the song) and the Electric Piano. I am singing and playing the slide, bass, and lead guitars.

I hope you like this.

Bottom Dollar Blues

Bottom Dollar Blues by Donna Evans

Verse 1
She’s a candy red hot
Fire whiskey, tequila shots
She’s waitin’ for me at the bar
Spends my money like a wild fire
Think I’m scorin’ but I lose
Got the bottom dollar blues

Verse 2
Hopin’ she’s my Lucky Star
She plays me like a lotto jar
We cruise and smooze around
My ticker tape’s runnin’ down
Then some final rounds of pool
Goes my bottom dollar blues

Bridge
Sunday church I’m confessin’
Can’t seem to learn my lesson
Party girls and booze
Give me the bottom dollar blues

Verse 3
She always reeves my engine
Sparing an intervention
I’m addicted to the night life
We live the weekends right
For her I’ll be the fool
With the bottom dollar blues

Optional Chorus
I got the bottom dollar blues
Think I’m scorin, but I lose
For her, I’ll be the fool
With the bottom dollar blues

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice job on this Mario, I like the sparse arrangement at the beginning and holding off on the band until the second verse.

Guitars sound great! Mix wise I'm not sure if I'm mad about that hard left panned piano though to be honest, I think it might have sounded better in the center.

But, a nice take on the great lyrics Donna wrote, enjoyed the listen!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mario,

I love the very, very bluesy groove! As I listened, I found it so easy to hear that you totally enjoy this style. Your guitar playing is outstanding and your smoldering vocals simmer perfectly with the backing. No one can doubt that blues is a genre that you feel really comfortable with both instrumentally and vocally.

You've done a great job with Donna's fine lyrics that have captured the imagination of a number of PG Music members.

This is definitely one to be proud of.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Mario, I love the soulfulness and emotional blues of your arrangement. Love your take on the song and that you liked the lyrics enough to put them to music. It has been so rewarding to see everyone's take on the song and they were all unique and spectacular. Such a talented and great community here.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mario !:))

This is your best blues !
Love everything about it !
Hope you were left with
at least some bucks ?

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice job on this Mario, I like the sparse arrangement at the beginning and holding off on the band until the second verse.

Guitars sound great! Mix wise I'm not sure if I'm mad about that hard left panned piano though to be honest, I think it might have sounded better in the center.

But, a nice take on the great lyrics Donna wrote, enjoyed the listen!

Thanx Dave for the very nice comments. I'll take a look at that EP, thanx for bringing that to my attention.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Mario,

I love the very, very bluesy groove! As I listened, I found it so easy to hear that you totally enjoy this style. Your guitar playing is outstanding and your smoldering vocals simmer perfectly with the backing. No one can doubt that blues is a genre that you feel really comfortable with both instrumentally and vocally.

You've done a great job with Donna's fine lyrics that have captured the imagination of a number of PG Music members.

This is definitely one to be proud of.

All the best,
Noel

Thanx so much Noel. Yes I always have been a fan of the blues. I have CDs and records that go back to the early blues guys like Son House and Willie Brown, through Albert King, Muddy Waters, John Mayall, BB, up to the new guns like Bonnie Raitt etc. I also love jazz blues like Jimmy Smith, Miles, Coltrane etc even though some are not considered blues people, i.e. I like jazz also. I am more of a blues player than any other genre.

User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Mario, I love the soulfulness and emotional blues of your arrangement. Love your take on the song and that you liked the lyrics enough to put them to music. It has been so rewarding to see everyone's take on the song and they were all unique and spectacular. Such a talented and great community here.

Thanx so much Donna. I wasn't sure if you would like this or not so I'm glad that you did like it.

User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dani48
Mario !:))

This is your best blues !
Love everything about it !
Hope you were left with
at least some bucks ?

Cheers
Dani

Thanx so much Dani. Left with some bucks? Heck no I'm married so I ain't got no money grin

User Showcase
M
Journeyman
Journeyman
M
Cool vibe, Mario!

I'd like to go into this smoky blues bar listening to you singing and playing – drinking beer and maybe join you're band on bass! :-)

Keep on this bluesy path!

MacUser!
User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Hey, there, partner cool !!!

This is Loren (a.k.a. "bluage), who gave Ms. Belladonna's lyrics a musical spin. What you did with them is s-t-u-n-n-i-n-g, sir. Yes, I said it: stunning.

In my opinion, you have turned a stereotype on its head by casting a darker light on what could be called the "underbelly" of the bar scene, meaning "drinking establishments", where people go mostly to "drown their sorrows", at the very worst. Painting the lyrics in near-suicidal sounding shades of the blues as you did exposes the idea of "getting tanked", or "tying one on", or "getting s**t-faced", or any of the other ways of describing drunkeness, as a basically sad and un-funny activity that mocks the popular image of it. For example, the phrase "happy hour". While you're at your regular neighborhood "watering hole" pouring shots into your craw, you may feel "happy", yes, but what happens when you return home to your family?

Don't know if that's what you intended, but it sure sounded that way to me. Regardless, my hat's off to you, "MarioD".

Caught off-guard,

LOREN

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mario,
Nice moody vocals and great to hear your lead guitar unleashed on a tune you sound very comfortable with.
I can almost taste the smoke in the bar here - you captured the "low places" vibe of the lyrics very well!

Robert

User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: molsenhouse
Cool vibe, Mario!

I'd like to go into this smoky blues bar listening to you singing and playing – drinking beer and maybe join you're band on bass! :-)

Keep on this bluesy path!

Way back in my early playing out days I did play in a lot of smokey bars. In fact my first job when I was 15 was in a smokey bar and I got paid $100 and all the beer I could drink. Drafts were only 10 cents USD back then!

Yea I'm more of a blues player than any other genre.

User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
Hey, there, partner cool !!!

This is Loren (a.k.a. "bluage), who gave Ms. Belladonna's lyrics a musical spin. What you did with them is s-t-u-n-n-i-n-g, sir. Yes, I said it: stunning.

In my opinion, you have turned a stereotype on its head by casting a darker light on what could be called the "underbelly" of the bar scene, meaning "drinking establishments", where people go mostly to "drown their sorrows", at the very worst. Painting the lyrics in near-suicidal sounding shades of the blues as you did exposes the idea of "getting tanked", or "tying one on", or "getting s**t-faced", or any of the other ways of describing drunkeness, as a basically sad and un-funny activity that mocks the popular image of it. For example, the phrase "happy hour". While you're at your regular neighborhood "watering hole" pouring shots into your craw, you may feel "happy", yes, but what happens when you return home to your family?

Don't know if that's what you intended, but it sure sounded that way to me. Regardless, my hat's off to you, "MarioD".

Caught off-guard,

LOREN

Thanx so much Loren for this.

I did try to exhibit the local bar/pub scene with a ton of smoke, at least in the old days around here, and a local blues band playing while no one was listening and all were drowning their sorrows by getting plastered! Thanx for picking up on that!

User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Mario,
Nice moody vocals and great to hear your lead guitar unleashed on a tune you sound very comfortable with.
I can almost taste the smoke in the bar here - you captured the "low places" vibe of the lyrics very well!

Robert

Thanx Robert. I am the most comfortable playing the blues. Also I have friends in low places! Hey I think there is a song there grin

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mario,

Nice take on Donna's lyric. Cool guitar.

Enjoyed the listen.

fj

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - you did an incredible job on this! It has so much attitude and character. You really did some justice to Belladonna's lyrics here. It has a wonderfully unique groove to it. I enjoyed the progression on this one, too. The sparse and gentle beginning gradually evolved into all these layers - very good at keeping the listener's attention smile

Thanks so much for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Loved this tune Mario. Super intro. I loved this kind of blues. Guitar is so good...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
Mario:
Great job-you really capture the feel, and your playing is top notch.

SaxMarc
daringharmony.com
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I really like your interpretation. The emphasis is definitely on the "bottom" of bottom dollar. You have created a wonderful atmosphere.

much enjoyed!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,562
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200