You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#458354 - 02/20/18 03:44 AM [Beginners Forum] Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue?
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Merkaz, Israel

Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue?
Say you have guitar 1 and guitar 2 in your style, and you want to mute everything but the bass, drums, and guitar 2 over several bars. What would you have following [X]...bd(*?)

Thanks in advance!

#458359 - 02/20/18 04:24 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue? [Re: DeaconBlues09]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
You don't have to use Alt-F5 to do that, you can also just enter the chord like you have shown above, so if you just want the bass, drums, and guitar to play, instead of using Alt-F5 you could just enter the chord as: Em.bdg (for an Em chord)

That will hold until the next chord change, so if you have a few bars of Em you are good. Next chord change, if you still want only those three instruments to play you need to enter it in the same manner, Am.bdg for an Am chord for example.

A little faster than using Alt-F5 once you have memorized the shorthand.

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#458364 - 02/20/18 05:38 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue? [Re: BlueAttitude]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I think the question relates to having Two guitar tracks, and muting only One Guitar track by entering data in the Chord. Is that correct?

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#458368 - 02/20/18 06:29 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue? [Re: DeaconBlues09]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
It depends on which track the guitar is one.

if it in the second slot (which was originally the Piano slot), then add a "p".

[X]...bdp

4th slot (originally Guitar) add a "g"

[X]...bdg

5th slot (Soloist) add an "s"

[X]...bps

Also, note... 3 dots will do a held chord on the other instruments (slots). 2 dots will do a shot. If you want a true Rest from other instruments (slots) use one dot.

These can all be changed using the Chord Settings menu option (Alt-F5). As you check boxes and change the "Rest Type" dropdown, you can see the changes appear on your chord screen.

#458373 - 02/20/18 06:42 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue? [Re: VideoTrack]
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I think the question relates to having Two guitar tracks, and muting only One Guitar track by entering data in the Chord. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

Thanks VT!

#458374 - 02/20/18 06:43 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue? [Re: floyd jane]
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Floyd Jane for such a fantastically comprehensive reply!

#458445 - 02/20/18 12:33 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue? [Re: DeaconBlues09]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
The other takeaway from this conversation is you need to remember the default track names because neither ALT-F5 or chord entry abbreviations recognize RealTracks names. For example, say you place a banjo RealTracks into the piano track. By default Band-in-a-Box changes the displayed name of the piano track to Banjo but you can't use the letter "b" in chord entry abbreviations and the track will still be called piano in the ALT-F5 screen.

To eliminate this potential issue I prefer to have the instrument tracks keep their default names. Open Options or press Cntrl-E to open the option window and remove the checkmarks highlighted below.

Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg

i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#460760 - 03/06/18 01:17 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue? [Re: Jim Fogle]
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Apprentice

You, good sir, are a true scholar and a gentleman! Thanks!

BTW, any relation to that other mentor-of-the-forums, Charlie Fogle?

#460761 - 03/06/18 01:25 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue? [Re: floyd jane]
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Also, note... 3 dots will do a held chord on the other instruments (slots). 2 dots will do a shot. If you want a true Rest from other instruments (slots) use one dot.

These can all be changed using the Chord Settings menu option (Alt-F5). As you check boxes and change the "Rest Type" dropdown, you can see the changes appear on your chord screen.

As a relative BIAB novice, I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here, but it seems to be addressing precisely the subject I'm trying to understand more about. If you would be so kind to expand on this, I would be eternally grateful!

That is, is it correct or incorrect that each of the three options can be either applied to or excluded from being affected by a push, shot, or hold in the same manner as a rest? So, for instance, I can have only the drums and bass play a shot? How about a push? Is it possible to apply a push only to a certain instrument or instruments?

Thanks in advance!

#460784 - 03/06/18 06:31 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue? [Re: DeaconBlues09]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

As a relative BIAB novice, I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here, but it seems to be addressing precisely the subject I'm trying to understand more about. If you would be so kind to expand on this, I would be eternally grateful!

That is, is it correct or incorrect that each of the three options can be either applied to or excluded from being affected by a push, shot, or hold in the same manner as a rest? So, for instance, I can have only the drums and bass play a shot? How about a push? Is it possible to apply a push only to a certain instrument or instruments?

Thanks in advance!

The tracks that are noted after the dots - b (bass) - d (Drums) - p (Piano) - g (guitar) will CONTINUE TO PLAY - meaning WILL NOT do the shot or hold or rest.

They do not work for pushes.

Again, note that these are the track names (as they have been called for many years), NOT the name of the RealTrack.

Those options can all be set using the Alt-F5 key stroke.

If you want some instruments MUTED, you will need to use the F5 key (dialog) - or the menu option - Edit > Settings for current bar

#460922 - 03/06/18 05:02 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue? [Re: DeaconBlues09]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
snip ... BTW, any relation to that other mentor-of-the-forums, Charlie Fogle?
Charlie and I are brothers. He's the smart one and I'm the handsome one! smile
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#460946 - 03/06/18 07:56 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Is holding/resting one of multiple guitars only possible via the F5 dialogue? [Re: Jim Fogle]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Charlie and I are brothers. He's the smart one and I'm the handsome one! smile

Sounds like a win-win situation grin

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

User Feedback - Run as Administrator

Our Forum is a great resource for all your Band-in-a-Box questions (and a GREAT place to connect with other program users!)

Among the many forums available, we have a User-to-User Tips & Tricks forum - perfect for sharing your own technical tips and tricks for any PG Music product!

Like the recent post by jford: You Should Run BIAB and RealBand As Administrator!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - Over 25 Entries!

We recently launched an Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest with 4 prizes of $150!

So far, there are more than 25 entries! Have a listen to these entries and submit your own song here.

Contest Rules:
-You must own Band-in-a-Box® 2018 along with one or more of the Xtra Styles PAK 5 packages (Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, MIDI)
-The song you submit must be your own original composition. This could be simply typing in chords to your song and pressing play, but you may also add additional instruments, solo, and/or melody.
-Public domain songs will be accepted.
-Multiple entries are permitted.
-Submit your song to the "Xtra Styles 5 Contest" forum, before the deadline. (This contest runs until September 30th)

For complete information on this contest, click here.

Forum Stats
27978 Members
57 Forums
53966 Topics
445737 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
veman, Clair, Ivica Pencic, fuhawa95, Clayton A Baca

27978 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 456
David Snyder 152