Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Jan R Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I like to save the biab songs as midi files with chord names as lyrics so I can play them by my Yamaha keyboard. When I use the option "Save special, midi file, write lyrics in GM format", those midi files will play by Yamaha but no lyrics in the display. I want to read the chord names with each bar.

I looked to the forum but couldn't find a topic about this.

Thanks,
Jan R.

piano: Hammond Skx Pro
guitar: Ibanez LGB30
guitar amp: Boss Katana 50 MKII
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Jan Ronday
.. "Save special, midi file, write lyrics in GM format" ....
¿Qué?

Jan R Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yes. Left top corner: file/save special/ save song as midi file/ etc. Is that not the right way? But the lyrics (chord names) are not on the Yamaha display. I understand it should work. How?

Thanks,
Jan R.

Expert
Expert
Guess a karaoke midi expert here should be able to tell you more. You can export the chords ad midi data on a track (number 9?) as option somewhere, but lyrics?

Veteran
Veteran
Did you enter the chord names as lyrics in your BIAB file, or were you expecting BIAB to do that for you? I don't believe it currently does. Also, there is currently no MIDI standard for chord name designations, so the chords from the chord grid does not get exported out of BIAB into a MIDI file.

The setting you selected, "Write Lyrics in General MIDI Format" is used strictly to either save lyrics in the standard MIDI format or in the older proprietary PGMusic format (not really used anymore). It has nothing to do with the song chords (unless, of course, you have manually entered them as lyrics on the lyric line.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Jan,

As far as I'm aware, chords from the BIAB chord sheet cannot be automatically converted to lyrics and saved in a midi file.

I'll investigate this further but it's not an option that I remember seeing (not that that means it's not available).

It would certainly be possible to enter the chord symbols in the lyric line manually and this would only take about 10 or 15 minutes for most songs. It's not a challenging process.

What did you read that led you to the conclusion that "I understand this should work"? If I know this, it might help me solve the problem.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Jan R Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I am wrong about it should be possible to save the chords grid in midi files as lyrics. I will try to enter the chord names as lyrics. I am not using a melody part in my songs. Just bass, drums and piano. Is that a problem to create lyrics?

Thanks,
Jan R.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jan Ronday
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I am wrong about it should be possible to save the chords grid in midi files as lyrics. I will try to enter the chord names as lyrics. I am not using a melody part in my songs. Just bass, drums and piano. Is that a problem to create lyrics?

No, not at all.

In version 2018 (Windows) of BIAB...

1. go into Editable Notation Mode

2. right-click on the staff where you'd like to add the chord

3. select 'Insert lyrics' from the menu

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Jan R Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I inserted the lyrics. I can see them on top of the bars. I saved the song with midi format 1/0/KAR. None of the midi files are showing the lyrics on my Yamaha. I can't find in the Biab Help what I do wrong.

Thanks,
Jan R.

Jan R Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I think I found a solution or work around. When I insert the lyrics as Section Text this will be displayed on my Yamaha on the bass clef. In lyrics mode too but there is no space between the chord names. But I am happy for now. I will work on it, but not tonight. It is late in the evening.

Thanks,
Jan R.

Veteran
Veteran
Jan, I think you just discovered an excellent workaround for getting the chords in a midi file, write them as lyrics. I know I never would have thought of that because I don't sing, I ignore anything to do with lyrics. Good job!

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Does the Yamaha show Midi Markers ?
In RealBand you can insert Markers in the Midi file (still waiting for that request "Chords to Midi Markers").

Biab exports the chords in MusicXML as Notation Events, if you drag a musicxml file into Reaper, split it to separate tracks then open a track in the midi editor by double clicking it, down the bottom where the velocity lane is, add a Notation Events lane and you will see the chords.
You can copy the chords from the Notation Events lane to the Text Events lane, then save the track to midi and import back into Biab or do it all in Reaper.
See how you go with that, I could probably put a script together for you to copy Notation Events to Text Events in Reaper.

You could also Opt > Prefs > Chord Output > Save in Midi file
Save As Special ABC > Chords only
then http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=372872
choose the BB Chord Output to sync the lyrics (ABC Chords, clean the text up wordpad to remove the characters you don't need).
You can also get chords from the big lyric window Print > Copy to clipboard, you just need to add 1 lyric in the track to get it to copy the chords.
This will insert the chords as lyrics where the chord changes occur in the BB Chord Output track.
But hey, it should just do all this in BB/RB.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Reaper-NotationEventsChords.png (174.62 KB, 189 downloads)
Jan R Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
This is a lot of information and solutions. Thanks. I will try them all but that will take some time. Thank you.

Thanks,
Jan R.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
In Reaper Menu > Actions > Show Action List > Reascript > New
copy and paste code below,
select a track from the imported musicxml
in the Reascript window > Ctrl+S to save and run script
close script window
to run the script next time just type the name you save it to in the filter box
in the midi editor File > Export to New MIDI file
Biab File > Import > Import Melody from MIDI file.
You can also import the Midi from Biab into Reaper and copy the BB Chord Track Midi notes to any one of the musicxml track replacing the existing notes, this will give you a BB Chord Track as well as Chord Lyrics.

Code:
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock2(0)
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40421,0) --Item: Select all items in track 40421
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40153,0) --Item: Open in built-in MIDI editor (set default behavior in preferences) 40153
take = reaper.MIDIEditor_GetTake(reaper.MIDIEditor_GetActive())
reaper.MIDI_Sort(take)
MIDIOK, MIDI = reaper.MIDI_GetAllEvts(take, "")
tChords = {}
stringPos, ticks = 1, 0
while stringPos < MIDI:len() do
    offset, flags, msg, stringPos = string.unpack("i4Bs4", MIDI, stringPos)
    ticks = ticks + offset
    if msg:byte(1) == 0xFF then
        chord = msg:match("text (.+)")
        if chord then
            tChords[#tChords+1] = {chord = chord, ticks = ticks}
        end
    end
end

for i = 1, #tChords-1 do

reaper.MIDI_InsertTextSysexEvt(take, true, false, tChords[i].ticks, 5, tChords[i].chord)

end
reaper.Undo_EndBlock2(0, "Convert Notation Event Text to Text Events", -1)

Or in Karakan select the BB Chord Output track, (you can add bar numbers or bar characters with the chords, just join them so there are no spaces \1.|Bm|\2. \3.|Em|\4. or |Bm///|//// |Em///|//// or ??? )

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
KK-Chords.gif (262.68 KB, 300 downloads)
Reaper-NotationEvents-to-TextEvents.png (19.09 KB, 159 downloads)
Jan R Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Pipeline, but sorry this is too much information for me. I like to do it in BB only. Or is that not possible? Can you please mention again the steps to follow just by simple instructions.
-----------
Update: I discovered MixMaster. Easy tool to edit midi files. I can add Chord Names and Text Events. The midi files saved in BB and loaded into MixMaster do not contain text or chord names. I will try this tool and hope I can see the chord names as lyrics on my yamaha piano.

Last edited by Jan Ronday; 02/27/18 01:41 PM.

Thanks,
Jan R.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
That MixMaster looks good and it's donationware.
But it will take a lot longer than the other to methods.
I think the easiest way right now is save the midi file and save to ABC.

1. Download Karakan https://sites.google.com/site/karakankaraoke/

2. Biab > Options > Preferences > OutputChords (see pic below)

3. Biab > File > Save Special > Save Song as ABC Notation

4. Drag ABC file into NotePad

5. Notepad > Edit > Replace > copy the characters you don't need
and paste in "Find What" and in "Replace With" leave blank to remove or add new character to replace with. If your chords have numbers in them find 7 replace with \7
6. Open Karakan > open the midi saved from Biab > Select Voice track > BB Chord Output.

7. Copy and paste the chords from notepad into Karakan > Play Karakan

8. Karakan menu > Karaoke > Save to MIDI file with Lyrics

BB-Chord-Output.png (25.58 KB, 128 downloads)
Notepad-ABC.png (64.48 KB, 128 downloads)
Notepad-ABC-2.png (76.17 KB, 128 downloads)
Notepad-ABC-3.png (46.98 KB, 128 downloads)
Notepad-ABC-4.png (71.63 KB, 129 downloads)
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Notepad-ABC-5.png (61.31 KB, 127 downloads)
Notepad-ABC-6.png (64.46 KB, 127 downloads)
Notepad-ABC-7.png (89.69 KB, 125 downloads)
Jan R Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Pipeline. You spend a lot of time to help me, and other members I guess. I will try this today. A real challenge.
-------------------
Update: it works. The only issue is that because of the 2-bar lead in the lyrics (chord names) and score is not in sync during playing on the Yamaha. It is in sync with the Karakan tool. But I will figure out that.

Thank you. I am very pleased.

Last edited by Jan Ronday; 02/28/18 01:12 AM.

Thanks,
Jan R.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Try PSRUTI http://www.heikoplate.de/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=83
http://www.heikoplate.de/zips/psruti817_setup.zip
http://www.heikoplate.de/pdf/psruti_eng817.pdf

I saved a bb song to mid in Biab with Options > Prefs > Chord Output
Open midi in PSRUTI
Compute Chords, choose BB Chord Output channel and Save as text
Chords/Lyrics Import/Export > Import the exported text as lyrics
Save As midi file.

If you Output Chords during Lead In you will get the chords on bar -1 and 0
Or Midi Option uncheck Include 2 bar lead-in

BB-Output-Chords.png (31.54 KB, 86 downloads)
PSRUTI01.png (43.37 KB, 84 downloads)
PSRUTI03.png (37.26 KB, 84 downloads)
BB-Midi-Options.png (32.61 KB, 73 downloads)
Last edited by Pipeline; 04/12/18 01:07 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Wow!

Pipeline, I'm blown away by your incredible tutorial.

It's outstanding work.

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195