You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#450430 - 01/10/18 10:15 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Setting a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD in Realband
Benny C. Offline

Hi,

Hello fellow members and musicians. I have few questions regarding the setting of Realband with the Behringer UMC404HD that I hope you can help answer:

1. The UMC404HD have 4 distinct inputs + a MIDI channel. I would like to designate each track in Realband to a single input channel. However, the Behringer ASIO driver for WIN10 provides 2 ports only. What am I doing wrong?

2. What is the correlation between the input channels I use in the controller and the "Input channel for mono tracks? setting in the Audio settings? I do see that using inputs 1 and 2 work when selecting the "Right" option.

3. Playback does not sound - even when I do see the meter moving.

4. I get a solid signal for the guitar in input channel 1 of the controller and the input meter in Realband but the actual recording is barely heard. (Very low signal) What am I missing?

This is the 3rd night I spend trying to figure out how to set up this controller. Please help.

Benny Chukrun

#450460 - 01/11/18 05:28 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Setting a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD in Realband [Re: Benny C.]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I can't help you today, but I just ordered one and it should be here next week. I'll monitor this thread as I'm sure the info will be of interest to me. And if you don't have an answer by next week, I'll share my experience when mine comes in.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#450472 - 01/11/18 06:52 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Setting a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD in Realband [Re: Benny C.]
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Here's some info.......

First screenshot is my drivers window for my Focusrite: Options-->Preferences-->Audio Tab-->Drivers button.

As you see, I had to select all the inputs I would use. By default, it only shows the first one. You have to click the first one and hold the shift key and click the last one to highlight them all.

Second screenshot is a post from Rharv that discusses the inability to choose inputs. Link

Attachments
1.png

Description: Audio Drivers

2.png

Description: Previous Post

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#450746 - 01/12/18 07:04 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Setting a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD in Realband [Re: sslechta]
Benny C. Offline

Thank you for all the responses. Here is what I was able to figure out:
1. The audio settings:

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdax8onu3r3rw3g/ASIO%20Audio%20Drivers.png?dl=0[/img]

RealBand shows only 2 input ports for the Behringer ASIO drive instead of 4.
I set the "Input Channel for Mono Track" to L+R (2 tracks)

2. I connected one microphone and 1 guitar to input port 1 and 2 of the controller.

3. I set the top 2 tracks in RealBand to Mono and picked the first Input port.

I selected the top track and started recording. RealBand showed two tracks recording. Clicking OK to keep that track RealBand merged the two tracks to one.

At about the 20th second the audio file is scrambled for 2-3 seconds. I guess I need to reduce the sampling quality or something like that.

Bottom line, I cannot designate an input port to each track and the program detects 2 ports instead of 4. Not sure if this is a hardware or RealBand limitation. I'm going to try on another DAW and report back here.

#450783 - 01/13/18 01:13 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Setting a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD in Realband [Re: Benny C.]
Tobias Offline
Expert

Loc: Way too close to Palm Springs,...
"3. Playback does not sound - even when I do see the meter moving."
Welcome Benny. I might have some clues for you. You haven't mentioned what you are using for monitor speakers. You should have some type of powered speakers plugged in to the rear Main Out jacks or Playback Outputs. If you use only the Main Out jacks you will get sound from the front Inputs and also the Playback from your computer. If you use only the Playback Outputs I don't think you will be hearing the front inputs directly to the speakers as in "direct monitoring". If I'm correct you will only be hearing the computer's playback which will include latency of whatever you are recording. For this reason I suggest you simply connect your speakers to the Main Out jacks only. My UMC204HD works this way.

The "MIX" knob is for blending between IN and PB. IN = whatever you have plugged into INPUT 1, 2, 3, or 4. PB = Playback as in whatever your DAW (or Windows Media Player, Youtube, etc...) is playing back. Try setting this knob around the 1:00 O'Clock area for starters. Set the Main Out knob around 2:00 and turn up the speakers of course.

Open the ASIO Driver Control Panel and make sure the volume for all playback channels are set to max.

Check your SoundCard Properties in the Windows Control Panel after everything is connected and after RealBand is up and running. Make sure you can open the Soundcard window all the way to see everything that is there in the Playback Properties. Make sure UMC404HD is not muted in there. Your computer might have 2 separate sections for SoundCard Properties. One is the volume mixer with sliders and muting options which is usually the little speaker icon in the bottom right task tray. Clicking on the little speaker icon should open up some more options. The other is where you choose the default Playback and Recording devices. That one is usually found in the Control Panel. But you may be able to access it by clicking on the speaker icon then clicking on any one of the Device icons or Application icons at the top end of the Volume Sliders. Keep in mind a Device may have different properties that an Application. Again, you may need to re position and drag that SoundCard Property window open to reveal everything in there.
You will be dealing with SoundCard Properties and the Volume Mixer and RealBands Audio Settings and the UMC404HD ASIO Control Panel in order to get this set up.

#458455 - 02/20/18 01:39 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Setting a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD in Realband [Re: jford]
Del Offline
Apprentice

Loc: ND
John,
did you ever get your Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD set up and working? I'm thinking about buying one as my old mixer is getting toward the end of its life.

#458466 - 02/20/18 03:22 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Setting a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD in Realband [Re: Benny C.]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Benny,

Yes, I've actually got that model and it's working well.

I'm assuming you've downloaded the driver from the Behringer site.
I'm running win 8.1 but it's the same driver.
When you select ASIO and then the UMC, you should see two lines of
inputs - 1&2 and 3&4. If not, you have a problem. Hold the shift key to select all inputs.
For the output choose 1&2. Connect the playback outputs 1&2 (the RCA phonos) to your
audio monitors, don't bother with the main outs unless you want to monitor the input.

In the UMC control panel, set the latency as low as you can without
getting any dropouts. You can also set the record and playback volumes
here.

Hope this helps.

ROG.

#458501 - 02/20/18 06:00 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Setting a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD in Realband [Re: Benny C.]
jford Offline
Veteran

I did it installed and it sounds great. ROG has good advice in his post.

You can monitor input through the headphone connector; what I did was hook up a 4-port headphone amp to it, and then run a set of powered speakers through one of the ports (headphones in the others). That way I can hear it play just fine. Sound from the computer, however, plays fine through the outputs on the back side of the unit.

I've got a small mixer feeding into audio inputs 1 and 2 (so I can get the audio from a microphone and from my two keyboards and acoustic-electric guitar), but I still get two mono (one stereo) connectors for input if I need it. So far I'm really liking it.

EDIT: I'm running it on my Windows 7 laptop; haven't tried it yet on Windows 10, but it works great on Windows 7. The only thing I had issue with was that I found out that the USB port I had connected it to wasn't set to not sleep, so the unit would lose connectivity. Once I set the USB port to always on, it works great.

Edited by jford (02/20/18 06:01 PM)

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK

#458510 - 02/20/18 06:15 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Setting a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD in Realband [Re: jford]
Del Offline
Apprentice

Thank you John and ROG!

Sounds like this might work fine for me then. I have the Behringer 4 port headphone amp that I'm using with my current setup.

I always record audio using headphones with my speakers muted. Will I be able to hear the music from BB or Realband and my input audio at the same time through my headphones using this?

Maybe a dumb question but I've had trouble with other interfaces when trying to record a track while listening to the music from BB or Realband.

Thanks again!

#458569 - 02/21/18 10:05 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Setting a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD in Realband [Re: Benny C.]
jford Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Will I be able to hear the music from BB or Realband and my input audio at the same time through my headphones using this?

That's exactly what I do. And there is a knob to control the relative volume mix between what you are inputting (microphone, guitar, etc) and what is coming from the computer.

I don't know why you can't monitor out to the one of the outputs on the back; but it definitely works with the headphone jack. Clearly the unit knows how to do it; you would think they might could have a switch, which would allow for the unit to be used for performance with both the computer and your input source(s). Maybe you can; I just haven't found it yet. But for only about $100, it's a pretty nice unit with lots of capability.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

#458642 - 02/21/18 05:41 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Setting a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD in Realband [Re: jford]
Del Offline
Apprentice

Many thanks John, I appreciate your advice!

My old mixer is starting to fritz out on me but it worked well for several years so I'm not complaining.

#458643 - 02/21/18 05:43 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Setting a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD in Realband [Re: ROG]
Del Offline
Apprentice

Thank you ROG for your advice!

PG Music News
Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

Forum Stats
27631 Members
50 Forums
52264 Topics
432660 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Waaree, Eridanus, Flower, BjornTopo, lauzah

27631 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 182
Noel96 168