Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#459001 - 02/24/18 04:21 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ?
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Morning folks, I bought EZDrummer2 back before Christmas and have been using it on a few songs, including my latest. For those songs where you need more control of what the drums are doing than realdrums provide it is a great tool to help kick thing up a notch.

For the last little while I've been getting emails from toontrack with a special crossgrade offer to upgrade from EZDrummer2 to Superior Drummer 3. But, it's not cheap! $319 for the crossgrade.

What does Superior Drummer 3 provide that EZDrummer2 does not? Website is not that clear on the differences as far as I can tell.

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Latest song: Time Flies

#459069 - 02/24/18 01:31 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
I've got it. I picked it up starting with SD2.

The reason I chose it over EZD is it had much better control over each piece of the kit with the mixer.

You can export each piece of the kit to a separate track in your DAW (big one for me).

Overall, worth every penny to me.

Sweetwater product details and video review:
Toontrack Superior Drummer 3

This song was done with them:
The Paradox of You - VERSION X

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#459096 - 02/24/18 04:35 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
funkycornwall Offline
Apprentice

Yes I agree it is worth every penny. It is a fantastic product and all your EZDrummer kits are compatible. It takes all the great features of EZDrummer, simplicity of operation and so on but also much better drum sounds. You can also easily edit the MIDI within SD3. Toontrack have made a really sophisticated product which lets you control just about every area but also made it very user-friendly. It is a huge download but you don't necessarily have to install everything. There are features for surround sound etc which I didn't require. I just installed the basic sound library and the room mikes. I didn't bother with the surround set up, height surround or additional bleed. My install therefore was a mere 80 GB!

I have not used EZDrummer 2 since having Superior 3

#459098 - 02/24/18 04:45 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
I did the same on the downloads. Skipped on the surround packs.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#459115 - 02/24/18 08:35 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
rockstar_not Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Fuuny you should ask...I just used EZDrummer 2 for the first time today and I'm really impressed with the workflow as a songwriter.

I am not to the point where I need to tweak each drum. Just to have it suggest some midi files after I tapped in a simple kick, tom and snare pattern, I was really impressed how it picked out similar MIDI from an actual drummer.

Really, really happy I made this purchase. It will be a LOOOONNNNGGG time until I tap this thing to it's limits.

Here's a link to the song I did today.
https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/catching-up

#459131 - 02/25/18 04:35 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Thanks, guys smile

#459136 - 02/25/18 05:36 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
I keep trying to pull the trigger on that package but just can’t seem to get there. I’m not as put off by the price as the learning curve (old dog new tricks grin) and my lingering notion that RealDrums can always be tweaked to fit my needs. Not trying to highjack the thread - just a morning coffee ramble....

Bud
J&B Website

#459138 - 02/25/18 05:48 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Good morning, Bud! Feel free to hijack one of my threads any time you like! wink

Most of the time I would agree with you and our songs are always initially developed using realdrums.

In the case of my latest song, which you have heard, I needed some big, aggressive drum fills to lead into the guitar solo. I initially tried to do it with realdrums but it wasn't cutting it so I switched over to EZDrummer2.

#459140 - 02/25/18 06:10 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

And, man, did they ever work.
J&B Website

#459144 - 02/25/18 07:04 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
What this boils down to is use the tool that works best for you. On occasion I use RDs but most of the time I use Steven Slates drums:

http://stevenslatedrums.com/ssd4/

This costs around $150 USD.

Drums is one of the instruments that MIDI does extremely well and in most cases regardless of the MFG. I like that fact that MIDI is more tweak-able than RDs. YMMV

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#459166 - 02/25/18 10:46 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: rockstar_not]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
That is a nice groove you've got going there. I especially like your use of effects like panning. Regarding the drummer, sounds real to me!
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#459210 - 02/25/18 04:15 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Veteran

Dang I'm loving EZ Drummer. This whole song came together in a matter of about 2 hours.

Think of the Smiths with some funk bass.

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/heading-back

#459288 - 02/26/18 08:39 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Yeah, I'm loving it too. Maybe it doesn't have the same amount of individual drum control as SD3 has, but it has enough for me.

The song I'm working on now has a real heavy groove happening on the toms, it was just a couple of minutes work with EZDrummer to dial in what I needed.

I'll probably get SD3 at some point, but for now I think the $300+ dollars they want for the crossgrade will be better spent buying new midi packs for EZDrummer2, which I can use with SD3 anyway when/if the time comes.

P.S. BTW I had a listen to your song, sounds good!

Edited by BlueAttitude (02/26/18 08:41 AM)
Edit Reason: added P.S.

#459315 - 02/26/18 12:39 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

So my entire use (ever) for midi has been to move generate and then move BiaB piano SuperMidiTracks to my DAW, apply a Logic Pro sound and mix away. To use EZ Drummer would I need to learn a significant amount of midi chops?

Thanks,

Bud
J&B Website

#459316 - 02/26/18 12:46 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: Janice & Bud]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
So my entire use (ever) for midi has been to move generate and then move BiaB piano SuperMidiTracks to my DAW, apply a Logic Pro sound and mix away. To use EZ Drummer would I need to learn a significant amount of midi chops?

Thanks,

Bud

Only if you want to edit what they already provide which so far I have never found the need to do.

I know diddly-squat about midi wink

Download the demo and give it a try, it’s fully functional. You will pick it up in no time, it’s very easy to use.

#459327 - 02/26/18 03:12 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: Janice & Bud]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY

Thanks,

Bud

Not really. BiaB MIDI drum tracks are very good but if you want more groove monkee ( https://groovemonkee.com/ ) has some excellent ones as do some other MIDI loop companies. Adding notes, deleting notes, changing notes and changing volume via velocity is just about all that I do in MIDI with my drums.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#459379 - 02/26/18 06:50 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: MarioD]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

SD3 +1 it can convert the RealDrums to midi then use any kit you like.

Also check out UJAM Virtual Drummers https://www.ujam.com/instruments/
they are like RealDrums (actual playing) yet you can add any type of drum riff anywhere, adjust the individual levels and they work on GM midi as well.

#459388 - 02/26/18 07:20 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: Janice & Bud]
Veteran

Thanks,

Bud

Bud, did you listen to either of my song links that I did with EZ Drummer? Absolutely no midi was input into EZDrummer. I clicked two different simple patterns onto the on-screen kit, and EZ Drummer selected midi patterns similar to the stressed beats I had. Then I hit 'generate song' by dragging one of those MIDI clips into it's song generator and picked a form and boom, the 2nd drum track was complete. Zero midi input.

#459398 - 02/26/18 10:23 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Veteran

Here's tonight's output from using EZ Drummer. I think I might have ripped off the lead guitar from some classic rock song - thought it was While My Guitar Gently Weeps at first, but I don't think that's it.
Chord progression is roughly based on Radiohead's Exit Music.

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/while-my-guitar-exits-gently

Did I mention I love EZ Drummer?

#459531 - 02/27/18 07:11 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Anyone using Superior Drummer 3 ? [Re: rockstar_not]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Here's tonight's output from using EZ Drummer. I think I might have ripped off the lead guitar from some classic rock song - thought it was While My Guitar Gently Weeps at first, but I don't think that's it.
Chord progression is roughly based on Radiohead's Exit Music.

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/while-my-guitar-exits-gently

Did I mention I love EZ Drummer?
The melody sort of reminds me of Angie by the Rolling Stones. The ride cymbal sure has a nice sustain to it.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Tutorials - How to Install Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Here are some tutorial videos we've created to help you install your Band-in-a-Box® purchase.

Our Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, and PlusPAK are delivered as a download, on DVD, or on a 32GB USB flash drive.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from DVD: click here to watch.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from the 32GB flash drive: click here to watch.
Your flash drive shipment also includes a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

The Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK is available as a download or shipped on a portable hard drive. When you receive the hard drive version, there are a few different installation options:

Option #1 - Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to watch.

Option #2 - Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks and RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to watch.

Option #3 - Install Band-in-a-Box® AND RealTracks on your computer hard drive: click here to watch.

All of these videos are available on our YouTube Channel or Videos support page.

Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Forum Stats
27638 Members
50 Forums
52295 Topics
432929 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
LumpyMusic, PWC, malcolmdanny45, IgorKo, run97410

27638 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 177