Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
I've used BiaB since 2012 and haven't had too many issues with it. However, since updating to the 2018 version, I'm having an issue with the time feature. I can load a song at say 100 bpm. Everything will play just fine. When I attempt to add a solo instrument though, it is always at twice the tempo I need it to play, even when I have the time set to "normal time". I've experimented with using half-time, double time, etc) just to see if the other feels change the performance. However, no matter what I choose I get the solo tracking playing at twice the tempo of the rest of the track. I experimented a little and turned off allowing the feature and get the track to generate in normal time but as soon as I allow the feature again, I'm right back in the same boat.

I downloaded and installed Build 510 update but that hasn't helped either.

Veteran
Veteran
When you say....

Quote:
I experimented a little and turned off allowing the feature and get the track to generate in normal time but as soon as I allow the feature again, I'm right back in the same boat.

What does "Allow the feature" mean? I'm not quite sure what 'feature' you are referring to.

Also, it sounds like you are using Realtrack soloists. Could you please confirm this. MIDI soloists behave a little differently.

IMPORTANT.... What is the name of the style you are using? It's possible the the time-base setting has been set in the style such that it cannot be modified outside the style. If you let me know the style's 8-character name in Stylepicker, I'll check it out.

Lastly, do you load the Soloist via the 'Soloist' dialogue window. (See the image below.)

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
soloist range of bars.JPG (93.81 KB, 142 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thank you for the reply, Noel. I appreciate it! Sorry it took so long to get back to you but life... smile

By "allow the feature", I mean that in the Song Options menu, you can choose to allow "Half/Double Time" for the song or turn the feature off for that song. It's under the heading "RealTracks Options For This Song" and says, "Allow RealTracks Half-Time/Double Time". It's a standard check box. Selecting it with a check mark enables the feature for the song (and is the default) and deselecting it removes the check mark and disables the feature for that particular song.

So when its in the default state (allow) it always plays the solo like its pants are on fire no matter if I choose "Half", "Double", or "Triple" time in the RealTracks selector dialogue box.

For clarification, I rarely use MIDI tracks. The only time I use them is if a RealTrack instrument can't be time-stretched without creating artifacts.

This happens regardless of the style I'm using.

And lastly, no I don't use the Soloist dialogue window. I typically load a RealTrack into whatever track I make available.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
BigWhirl, just to rule this out, are you up to date, Build 512?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
What is the name of the style you are using?

Some styles have the doubletime/halftime setting embedded in their creation. I suspect that in these instances, the Song Settings that you mention will have no effect.

If you let me know the name of the style, I can check it out.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
It's been happening regardless of which style I choose. In the instance that drove me to post it was the "Bluegrass Quartet" style. Being that it was a bluegrass number, I changed the style to other bluegrass styles and the problem was persistent. I've experienced it with non-bluegrass styles as well.

And Matt, I'm up to date only as far as Build 510. Today was the first day I've had time to fool with it since then but received no message about an update when I opened the program. I'll definitely update it because I'm having some other issues as well that I've not experienced before. Over the years there have been a few things I've needed help with but this is the first time I've experienced any real technical issues that I've been unable to resolve. But I will update now and see if that helps any. I'm also suddenly having issues with certain RealTracks disappearing from my the RealTracks dialogue box.

Edit: This is weird as well. I opened BiaB and the "About" screen tells me that my last update was indeed Build 510 but it says that I'm up to date. I go to the website and see build 512, which I'm downloading now.

Last edited by BigWhirl2012; 02/24/18 12:57 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
I wonder if BIAB is automatically substituting other Realtracks because it sees them as a better fit from a tempo perspective. The global setting for this is in Realtrack preferences and the song-by-song setting is in 'Song Settings'.

If auto-substitution has occurred, it is noted in the Mixer as a Realtrack with ~~ in front of its name.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
autosubstitution indicator.JPG (51.57 KB, 77 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I always check the website and download. The program’s checker doesn’t count ‘beta’ versions, but by definition PG Music calls each new release a beta version. That’s why it said you were up to date.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: BigWhirl2012
I've used BiaB since 2012 and haven't had too many issues with it. However, since updating to the 2018 version, I'm having an issue with the time feature. I can load a song at say 100 bpm. Everything will play just fine. When I attempt to add a solo instrument though, it is always at twice the tempo I need it to play, even when I have the time set to "normal time" ......
Funny, good that you come up with this, thought it was my fault. Had the same feeling once or twice, and also with v512 recently. Guess i work differently with RT soloists in not using the 'generate a solo" function that often within a BIAB arrangement, other than for finding out what it's capable of. When i find something that might be useful i spend some time generating solos in a 'special' mgu repeating the same bars a few times for the needed part. Then export the outcome to a DAW for cutting and pasting. -F

Veteran
Veteran
BigWhirl2012,

Have you tried generating the soloist instrument on a couple of different tracks to see if the behaviour is the same?

This would help isolate a potential problem.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199