You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#459113 - 02/24/18 08:21 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] A Valuble Lesson
Keith from Oz Offline
Veteran

Loc: NSW Australia
I know a lot has been said about backing up your files, but I want to reiterate how important it is.

A few years ago I had a computer crash, and lost a lot of valuable files, so from then I've made a point of backing EVERYTHING up regularly.

With BIAB, I back up my songs on my laptop, an external hard drive, and also on a UBS thumb drive for convenience.

Today I went to back up my BIAB files on the thumb drive, and it had corrupted, and I lost everything that was on it.

Fortunately due to my obsession with backing up, I had multiple back ups on other devices.

You work too hard to lose it .... back up one, two, three times , just to be sure.

Remember, Braces and a belt smile

#459280 - 02/26/18 07:36 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: A Valuble Lesson [Re: Keith from Oz]
jford Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I also synchronize my files between my three computers, in addition to backing up to external USB hard drives. Disk space is cheap, and where licensing allows it, I also have almost all of my apps installed on all three computers as well. That way, if one of them dies, I can be up and running on one of the other computers in a matter of seconds.

Also, about once a year, I'll archive my data files to DVD's as well. I guess you could say, I back up to DVD anally (pun intended). smile

The few times I've had a crash, I've never lost more than a few days (yes, I could be more diligent, but I prefer to spend my time creating music, rather than backing up music, so I'll live with that slight risk).

It's not to everyone's taste (especially those who "need" a nice GUI), but I generally use batch files along with the robocopy command (which has lots of options; much more than copy or xcopy) to back everything up, as well as to synchronize files between computers.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#459474 - 02/27/18 12:23 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: A Valuble Lesson [Re: Keith from Oz]
w Offline
Expert

Loc: somewhere in outer space
^

what about backups to clouds ?

yes, no, perhaps ?
acoustic instruments including 2 Air Guitars
SC : https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

#459502 - 02/27/18 03:54 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: A Valuble Lesson [Re: Keith from Oz]
jford Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
You certainly could backup to the cloud, but that's a lot of bandwidth. For my wife's computer, she uses Carbonite to back up her data, but I go in on a regular basis and back it up to a USB hard drive. It's always best to have more than one backup.

I remember once, we had what was supposed to be a top notch tape backup solution in our server computer room. What we found out was that it backed everything up every night like it was supposed to; however, when we went to restore data, we found that although the software claimed to support backing up "open" files, it actually didn't, and you got corrupted files. The joke became that the software worked great at backing up your data, just as long as you never had to restore it. smile

We switched to a different backup software, used the same tape drives and tapes, and it backed up and restored with no problems.

Moral of the story, is to make sure whatever backup strategy you use, that you test both the backup process and the restore process. No need for a false sense of security.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#459528 - 02/27/18 06:39 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: A Valuble Lesson [Re: Keith from Oz]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
What John says is interesting because I have seen it both ways.
Sometimes a backup reports it fails, because a single file is corrupt. However this same 'failed' backup works to restore everything BUT the corrupted file. So 99.99+% recovery.

Other times (using different BU method/software) a restore failed if even a just single file had an issue.

Like he said; make sure not only that the backup reported successful, but that restore process (using said backups) actually works.

False security is pretty much the worst security.
I know I'm repeating his point, but it's pretty important.
A backup that doesn't restore is not a backup. It's a waste of time.

As far as cloud backups, I think the time/bandwidth is worth it. It is off site and should be redundant (and backed up yet again) in the cloud.

PG Music News
National One-Hit Wonder Day!

Today is NATIONAL ONE-HIT WONDER DAY!

Have you ever created a "one-hit wonder" (that you'll admit to)? Post it to this thread - we'd love to hear it!

Complete RealBand 2018 Users Guide - Interactive Online Version Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page, and you'll find our latest addition - the online manual for the RealBand 2018 for Windows User's Guide!

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/index.htm

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this User's Guide can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video - Endorsing Artist Steve Wallace

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video from endorsing artist Steve Wallace!
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=6QcPF5cQjKw

"With the vast array of RealTracks and styles offered, Band-in-a-Box is a phenomenal program that can help any musician and composer hone their skills."
-Steve Wallace

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Forum Stats
27992 Members
57 Forums
54093 Topics
446225 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
snenamor, yes daddy music, grivers, mononino, alphanumeric onl

27991 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 499
David Snyder 181