Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I upgraded my iZotope Neutron software a while back to the new Neutron2, and man, I'm really blown away by the new Tonal Balance control software that comes with it!
Very useful tool, especially for those of us getting older with ears that don't hear high frequencies as good as before. In my last song I used one of their default setting called "Modern" to get an idea how my mix was balanced.

In addition to using built in settings, you can also load in a song that you are trying to emulate as far as sound goes.

The new song I'm working on now has a groove similar to the Joe Bonamassa song "Drive", so I loaded that in. It shows how your song compares EQ wise to the reference song, and also allows you to highlight specific frequency ranges you you can hear exactly what is going on and can quickly identify problem areas.

Brilliant! Here is a screenshot:
(gave up on doing an inline image, I'm not smart enough to make that work apparently blush so it's an attachment)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
tonal balance.jpg (503.36 KB, 19 downloads)
Last edited by BlueAttitude; 03/01/18 03:47 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I love it too! Used it on the Paradox song I did. On your screenshot, I like to use the "Fine" control that breaks down the frequencies even more. I also imported one of my favorite Weezer songs to tonal balance to set my song up with similar EQ. Sure enough, one of the people that listened to the song said it sounded like Weezer. Damn fine tool it is. Also agree on the age thing. It's nice to have visual confirmation.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Steve, yes, the fine control is great! It shows specifically where the problem is, then just use the ALT-mouse to hover over the frequency and you can easily hear what is causing the problem.

L
Expert
Expert
L
I find the iZotope package I have indispensable. Neutron 2, Ozone Advanced 8, Nectar etc. Fabulous and fast. A bit guilt inducing though.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Veteran
Veteran
Dave,

Why does the screen capture have three "1"s and no "2"s? I recognize that each of the "1"s is a different kind of EQ even though all three are covering the same frequencies.

Another question. Are the sideways "Y" and tuning fork emblems the edges of a bell curve?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (99.29 KB, 68 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Jim,

The balance control module sits on the master bus, and it has access to the EQ section of all the Neutron modules that are being used in the session. In my case I have Neutron as the last module in the FX chain of every track in the session.

So, if you identify a problem with a specific track, you can load in the EQ section from the specific neutron module, in this case the guitar solo, and work on it right from the balance control module.

That particular EQ curve was initially created by the "learn" feature, which analyzes the audio and places nodes on "areas of interest it identifies, such as sibilance, resonance, rumble, and so on".

I then fine tuned it somewhat based on problems that the balance control identified, don't remember exactly what I did.

The sideways "Y" are low shelf and high shelf.

Here is a doc about the EQ portion of Neutron: https://s3.amazonaws.com/izotopedownloads/docs/neutron201/en/equalizer/index.html

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
I have been using the Tonal Balance control since it first come out. It is a wonderful tool for mixing along with Neutron 2. I use the modern setting and it has saved me lots of trips out to the cars and other sound sources to check the mix. I can instantly see if it is too bass boomy or not enough bass.

I am in my 60's and have had quite a bit of hearing loss in the mid high and high frequency. This along with the learn function of Neutron and ozone have really been a blessing.

Brian

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes, same here, Brian. Mid highs and highs always give me problems. I'm 63.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Why does the screen capture have three "1"s and no "2"s? I recognize that each of the "1"s is a different kind of EQ even though all three are covering the same frequencies.

No "2"s as that one is powered off. The color appears more grayed out than "3" for example. You just click on "2" to turn it on then you can start moving it around.

As far as the "1"s and the last number, you have more choices at the low and high end of the frequency range for the low/high passes, etc.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Steve, I missed that part.

When you first open the EQ module, by default only 1, 3, 5, and 7 are powered on, along with high and low shelf.

H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi,
Yes Tonal Balance is a super tool.I even think its a stepping stone to something bigger and its a tool that could develop to have more controls etc.The fine tune is excellent to getting down to nitty gritty if you can hear or guess the problem.Izotope have great interfaces as well and I also really like the Visual Mixer ,Hugh

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200