Go To
My Favorite Things
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Hi, I am curious "How many drummers on this forum use BIAB and how do they find it useful."

Thanks,
John

Last edited by bowlesj; 02/19/18 09:40 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
My Favorite Things
I
Expert
Expert
I
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
Hi, I am curious "How many drummers on this forum use BIAB and how do they find it useful."

Thanks,
John

I use it to practice my timing with backing tracks. I input the chords from the leadsheets press play and play along.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
My Favorite Things
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Thanks Islansoul. Good to hear. There are two drummers in our jamming group. Maybe in time they will practice to the BIAB backing track files I use.

Last edited by bowlesj; 03/03/18 09:55 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
My Favorite Things
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Do you ever try this test with BIAB. Let the song count in and mute all instruments at bar#1 to see if you finished the song at the same time that BIAB finished the song. I ask because speeding up too much is a killer with my jam group since they practice to a specific speed. At the same time they want to get enough players to eliminate BIAB. So I compromised and said we will do this test and use BIAB to see if we sped up. If we did I put the rhythm guitar click track back in for everyone to listen too so we don't speed up and I remind them of 4 web pages which are all about how to prevent oneself from speeding up (or slowing down).

Last edited by bowlesj; 03/03/18 10:16 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
My Favorite Things
I
Expert
Expert
I
I would suggest that you add a shaker from BIAB to make sure you're on point.

music producer/engineer
My Favorite Things
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I was not sure what a shaker was so I had to google search it and found it at this page.. I used a cowbell for a while but it gets boring. I tried to isolate it to the right channel so only the drummer could hear it but that did not work so well. So I decided to replace my rhythm guitar with the BIAB guitar which sounds almost exactly the way I play. I also decided to balance everything across left and right channels evenly so everyone can hear it. Using the BIAB guitar allows me to set mix levels so I just do solos and sometimes melody. They just have to realize that the BIAB guitar has perfect time.

So far I have not had a drummer come out to try it so the BIAB drums keeps us in perfect time. Most jams have the addition of BIAB piano. Occasionally I put in BIAB bass. We have had 8 jams and it is working very well. We have had three drummers in our jam group. One has no problem with playing along with BIAB. One absolutely refuses and left. The other is slowly getting use to the idea after hearing just how good the BIAB tracks sound.

Last edited by bowlesj; 03/27/18 06:55 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
My Favorite Things
I
Expert
Expert
I
Sorry, I meant that you should use a shaker real tracks as a metronome and use that to play along with your backing tracks.

Last edited by Islansoul; 05/28/18 05:30 AM.

music producer/engineer
My Favorite Things
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
I used a cowbell for a while but it gets boring. I tried to isolate it to the right channel so only the drummer could hear it but that did not work so well.

... One absolutely refuses and left. The other is slowly getting use to the idea after hearing just how good the BIAB tracks sound.

Wow, a cow bell as metronome count for the drummer. I am not surprised one guy would leave, but I am more worried for the guy "getting use to it". grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

My Favorite Things
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
We had one jam with congas, bass, 2 guitars and trumpet. There was a speed up issue in every song. I will blame everyone rather than one since everyone just went along for the ride :-) The slower the song the worse the speed-up. One song started at 88 and ended at 160+. The melody dropped out the 2nd time around due to the speed change. After that I put BIAB in with drums. All the remaining songs stayed dead on speed (totally fixed the problem). So now if the players want to play without BIAB I have BIAB count us in and I mute all tracks at bar #1 so I can use BIAB to determine if we sped up too much. If we did I use BIAB the rest of the night. The drummer who dropped out never came out to jam and always bragged about how great he was. I suspect he may have dropped out because he is afraid to take the test (the insecure often are afraid to admit they are and will blame other things to protect themselves). If this is true it is sad because I found four web pages with methods to resolve a speed up issue in one's playing. Running from a problem is not the way to solve it. At the same time if you are not a pro who cares? Use BIAB and have fun. So far the world has not come to an end as a result of using BIAB to enhance our jams and I doubt it ever will :-) We seem to have just as much fun.

Last edited by bowlesj; 05/28/18 09:19 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
My Favorite Things
Veteran
Veteran
I'm a drummer, and I use it for song writing. It's really nice to have a band on hand at any point and be able to change anything. Then I just drum along.

This may seem a bit strange, but I do feel if you create your own drum track to go with the generated tracks from BIAB, the song tends to sound more real to me. There is a more organic interplay between the drums and bass, and more natural fills that can be achieved. Granted, you could make that argument for any of the instruments. When you lock in the bass and drums though, it's pretty cool IMO.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
My Favorite Things
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This is interesting to me - of all the different forms of musicians, I don't often think how a drummer would use Band-in-a-Box for some reason. Some nice input so far smile

Cheers,
Deryk
My Favorite Things
Veteran
Veteran
I have just recorded and released an acoustic album with my duo partner who is a wonderful guitarist. The ablum just has vocals, guitars and bass.

We used BIAB drums as a metronome to record to and then muted the drums in the final song. It worked a treat because it established the right groove for us to record along to, kept us in time so that we could cut and paste the vocals, guitar and bass (which were recorded acoustically) between the various sections.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
My Favorite Things
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
I have just recorded and released an acoustic album with my duo partner who is a wonderful guitarist. The ablum just has vocals, guitars and bass.

We used BIAB drums as a metronome to record to and then muted the drums in the final song. It worked a treat because it established the right groove for us to record along to, kept us in time so that we could cut and paste the vocals, guitar and bass (which were recorded acoustically) between the various sections.

Using drums as a metronome has worked wonders for me also. I have found that some people can not work with a click track, they can't keep a steady beat. But they can keep a steady beat if I use a drum track. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
My Favorite Things
Journeyman
Journeyman
When I started using BIAB I had TERRIBLE timing. I had to sit down with it and go over and over and over and over until I slowly improved.

How many musicians have the time to work with me? (Plus I could throw the best person off.)

So, I can see using it as a metronome... and it doesn't complain. :-)

...Deb

My Favorite Things
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I actually made a studio recording where I gave the drummer a BIAB nylon guitar track as the click. Worked like a champ. Only he heard it; the rest of the band played to the drums. In this way, I could alter the guitar tempo, too.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
My Favorite Things
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I finally got around to using BIAB to test my holding time on one song by muting all instruments at bar #1. It ran for 5 choruses (melody, rhythm guitar, solo, comp guitar, melody). I finished 2 bars early. That was better than I expected actually except the count was probably at a natural speed for myself. I will have to get around to testing myself at slower and faster speeds to see if I gravitate to my natural speed which I gather is my heart rate. BIAB is a great way for anyone including drummers to test themselves to see if they need to work on keeping steady time.

There are actually two band skills here.
1/ Keeping time without a drummer while playing with other instruments.
2/ Listening to a drummer, clicker or anything with good time. Some students speed up past a metronome because they are struggling with new techniques.

An interesting question comes up too. If there is no drummer who should you listen too for keeping good time? The bass player or the person with the best time? I guess the bass player is the next one in line after the drummer who should be either testing their time with BIAB or using BIAB ear piece click tracks such as rhythm guitar (maybe an MP3 player driven ear piece to avoid lugging a computer). But what about guitar duets or solo. I guess the answer ends up becoming all rhythm section players should be testing themselves or using a click track where appropriate.

Last edited by bowlesj; 09/27/18 04:48 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195