You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#460529 - 03/05/18 12:29 AM [User Showcase] Homesick and Blue
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Homesick And Blue

I finally got a break from everything - first time in quite a while. We're moving into the Assisted Living facility this coming weekend, so been getting ready for that - and preparing for a huge yard sale (going from a 6-room house to a one bedroom apartment).

Di says "Hi!" to everyone and "Thanks for all the kindness and wonderful songs."

Anyway, the idea for this song crossed my mind this afternoon. So, from no music & no lyric to this "finished" recording took about two and half hours.

Rich's comment made me listen to it again and I agreed with his opinion. So I reposted the song with the backing tracks a little more forward in the mix. The vocal was a little too loud originally. I think it's better balanced now. If you care to offer an opinion on this mix, would love to hear it.

****** Song Summary *************

File:_Homesick And Blue.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 80, Length (m:s)=4:18
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,

Style is _HOMESIK.STY (Homesick Soft Pop Serenade)

RealTracks in style: ~2474:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2195:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm CoolJazzPopHeld Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 3059:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Muted16thsFintan Ev16 080
RealTracks in song: 2883:Pedal Steel, Background CountryEddy12-key Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1947:Mandolin, Rhythm PopModernGrooveAndy Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 626:Harmonica, Background Travis Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: BluesRockSlowEv^2-a:SideStick , b:Snare, HiHat

Homesick And Blue
© 2018 Alan D. David, BMI

(v1)
This concrete’s burning holes, in the soles of these old boots
It’s nothing like the farm back home, where I planted family roots
God knows I miss my mom and dad, and the girl who waits for me
And Kansas seems so far away, like a distant memory

(v2)
That man in the fancy business suit, said I was the next big thing
Said take my songs to Nashville, he’d make sure they’d hear me sing
But the shoulders behind those hallowed doors, can be stiff and icy cold
So many ways of saying no, with heartaches bought and sold

CHORUS
It seems there’s nothing here for me, except rejection and regret
Just the backstreet seedy bars, and the rent that’s overdue
Maybe I should pack my bags, and these dreams I should forget
I’ve never been this down and out, I’m so homesick and so blue

(v3)
I’m playing every night for tips, through the smoke and neon haze
I never knew you could go so broke, in oh so many different ways
Should I go or should I stay, chase the dream or pack it in
My star’s not shining very bright, it’s looking awfully dim

(v4)
Nothing’s easy in this town, doesn’t matter who you know
It’s more about who knows you, that’s the way it seems to go
Hang in there kid that’s what they say, one day you’ll get the word
But no one seems to know my name, not a whisper have I heard

REPEAT CHORUS

INSTRUMENTAL BREAK

REPEAT CHORUS

Edited by Al-David (03/05/18 02:26 AM)

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#460533 - 03/05/18 12:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Hi Al

While I enjoyed it all as is, particularly the harmonica,
I think the band is a bit low compared to the vocal.
Marvelous result for such a quick job.

Cheers.

#460539 - 03/05/18 01:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: RichMac]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Al

While I enjoyed it all as is, particularly the harmonica,
I think the band is a bit low compared to the vocal.
Marvelous result for such a quick job.

Cheers.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the kind words and opinion. I have reposted the song with the backing tracks a bit more forward/louder. I think it works better now. Thanks again!

Alan

#460549 - 03/05/18 02:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Al you are a song writer extraordinaire.
Love the FX on the track. Some tricky stuff there.
Great write.
Rob

#460570 - 03/05/18 05:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Alan, Great lyrics and well sung. I love the Acoustic Bass and Mando along with Steel and Drums. That combination is what I Appalachian Honky-Tonk. Sounds really good and best of luck to you both while you settle in to the new lifestyle, Tom

#460577 - 03/05/18 06:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Rob4580]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Al you are a song writer extraordinaire.
Love the FX on the track. Some tricky stuff there.
Great write.
Rob

Rob,

You flatter me with your kind words. This one came together very quickly Glad you enjoyed and the few little touches I out on the backing tracks. I appreciate the listen all those nice words!

Alan

#460579 - 03/05/18 06:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: tommyad]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Alan, Great lyrics and well sung. I love the Acoustic Bass and Mando along with Steel and Drums. That combination is what I Appalachian Honky-Tonk. Sounds really good and best of luck to you both while you settle in to the new lifestyle, Tom

Hi Tom,

I was very happy with the mix of instruments. My favorites are the rhythm guitar (that muted, synch beat sold me), and the drums. I worked the drums over pretty good. I largely isolated the kick drum by EQ manipulation and enhanced it quite a bit. I then blended it on top of the original drum track. I like the extra bottom the altered kick pedal gives the overall sound. I applied the BIAB plugin "Dynamics" and the 5-band EQ to the blended mix to give the drums more character. That's probably more than you wanted to know but thought I'd throw it in for what it's worth.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Alan

#460588 - 03/05/18 06:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
cliftond Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Alabama
Great song , that harmonica just tops it off.

#460589 - 03/05/18 06:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Alan,

A classic "tough in Nashville" song. Well done. Mix sounds good to me.

Hope y'all are getting settled. Best to you both.

fj

#460612 - 03/05/18 08:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
It amazes me that you can put out such a quality song in such a short period of time, I think you and David Snyder are pretty much the masters of being able to do that here.

Really good writing! Nice arrangement too, harp solo fit like a glove and I like the way you exited the solo and back into the chorus.

It will be good once you have settled into your new place and will have some time to take a breath, I'm assuming you will still be able to make music at the new place?

All the best to you guys, and good luck with the move!

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Latest song: Time Flies

#460613 - 03/05/18 08:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow - this is stunning. It sounds so heartfelt, and reached hits close to home for me. The arrangement is top notch too. It may have a somber tonality to it, but I also found it to be quite hopeful sounding too.

Very well done - thanks so much for sharing smile

#460619 - 03/05/18 08:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Great song about te real life struggling Nashville musician. This really tells a great story. The track sounds great and vocals are nicely done.

www.sammycountry.com

#460621 - 03/05/18 08:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
I always hear about all the Nashville Hopefuls. It's such a tough road to strike out on, but it is the hub for all things Country! I think you really captured that journey and the reality of it really well in this song. Thank you for sharing.

#460721 - 03/05/18 06:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Awesome tune Alan. Loved the lyric. Super vocal and backtrack. Super mix as well...

#460837 - 03/06/18 09:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: tommyad]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA

Tom expressed our feelings completely (we’ve always liked his Appalachian Honky-Tonk genre!)

We enjoyed the great story of the tune and wish y’all our very best!

J&B
J&B Website

#460901 - 03/06/18 03:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Al,
This would be a very good song by any standards, but done in that time frame... wow, it just shows the class of the man!
Very engaging story,sincere warmth to your vocal and skilful simplicity in the production...here`s hoping you find more breaks in your new place to continue making music like this.

Robert

#460905 - 03/06/18 03:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: cliftond]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: cliftond
Great song , that harmonica just tops it off.

Thanks a bunch for those kind words, Clifton. And yeah, when I heard the harmonica line, I was very pleased. Thanks again.

Alan

#460907 - 03/06/18 03:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: floyd jane]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

A classic "tough in Nashville" song. Well done. Mix sounds good to me.

Hope y'all are getting settled. Best to you both.

fj

Hi Floyd,

yeah, there's a bunch of these songs about hoe nashville is a tough nut to crack. But, hell ... at my age, I'd better go with whatever the muse gives me! Thanks for the feedback on the mix. And i think life will settle down a bit in three or four weeks. Thanks for the wishes.

Alan

#460909 - 03/06/18 03:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: BlueAttitude]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
It amazes me that you can put out such a quality song in such a short period of time, I think you and David Snyder are pretty much the masters of being able to do that here.

Really good writing! Nice arrangement too, harp solo fit like a glove and I like the way you exited the solo and back into the chorus.

It will be good once you have settled into your new place and will have some time to take a breath, I'm assuming you will still be able to make music at the new place?

All the best to you guys, and good luck with the move!

Hi Dave,

Thanks a bunch! David is a pretty talented guy with a ton of creativity, so being in a sentence with him is a real treat. Some of my better songs were ones that came to me and got recorded in a relatively short time frame. Sometimes it works that way.

Ands yeah, I really liked the way the harmonica instrumental came out. Thanks for noticing. And we should be able to work on our music at the new place. We just can't get too loud with it. But we both have relatively soft voices and I plug my headphones into the guitar amp and usually everything else is computer generated. So, I don't expect too many problems.

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the very nice words!

Alan

#460910 - 03/06/18 04:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - this is stunning. It sounds so heartfelt, and reached hits close to home for me. The arrangement is top notch too. It may have a somber tonality to it, but I also found it to be quite hopeful sounding too.

Very well done - thanks so much for sharing smile

Hello Deryk!

Close to home for you, huh? So you can relate to it - it's always great when a listener can relate to a song from personal experiences. I appreciate the kind words about how it was put together. Many thanks to you and all the PG Music staff.

Alan

#460911 - 03/06/18 04:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Scott C]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Awesome tune Alan. Loved the lyric. Super vocal and backtrack. Super mix as well...

Hi Scott,

Sometimes a few nice words are all that's needed to put a smile on someone's face - this did it for me. I appreciate all that - thanks so much.

Alan

#460913 - 03/06/18 04:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Samuel Davis]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
Great song about te real life struggling Nashville musician. This really tells a great story. The track sounds great and vocals are nicely done.

Hello Samuel,

Sorry about passing over you in the order of the comments. When you're my age, you'll understand! Glad all those elements you ,mentioned work for you. That's always great to hear and I appreciate it very much.

ALan

#460915 - 03/06/18 04:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I always hear about all the Nashville Hopefuls. It's such a tough road to strike out on, but it is the hub for all things Country! I think you really captured that journey and the reality of it really well in this song. Thank you for sharing.

Hi Ember,

Tis always a pleasure to hear from you. yes, Nashville is a tough one to take on. I have a good friend who did well there. John Heinrich is a musician who plays pedal steel, dobro, sax, and flute. he's on quite a few cuts out of Nashville. He's currently touring with Ronnie Milsap. Oddly, we first met in Germany! He's one of the success stories - Mike Baker a lead guitarist whoi I know casually is another example. But they are the exceptions.

I'm delighted you think I captured the other side of that story in this song. I appreciate the feedback. best to you and your PG Music colleagues.

Alan

#460916 - 03/06/18 04:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Janice & Bud]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Tom expressed our feelings completely (we’ve always liked his Appalachian Honky-Tonk genre!)

We enjoyed the great story of the tune and wish y’all our very best!

J&B

Hey Guys!

Always a treat to hear from you. I like that moniker - Appalachian Honky-Tonk! Tom outs out some really nice cuts - like you two do. I'm glad the story of the lyric works for you. I appreciate the feedback on that. best to you.

Alan

#460918 - 03/06/18 04:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Robertkc]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Al,
This would be a very good song by any standards, but done in that time frame... wow, it just shows the class of the man!
Very engaging story,sincere warmth to your vocal and skilful simplicity in the production...here`s hoping you find more breaks in your new place to continue making music like this.

Robert

Hi Robert,

You are much too kind! Thank you so much for all your kind words. I particularly appreciate the comment on my vocal as I'm a mediocre singer, at best. but sometimes, a song seems to find that very small sweet spot in my voice. i was pleased with it - so danged happy you commented on it as you did - still smiling!

Your comment about the simplicity of the song rang a bell with me. Although there are 7 real Tracks, it doesn't sound that "full". I think I got lucky with the mix and kept is relatively simple in the big picture, in spite of the number of tracks.

Many thanks!

ALan

#460952 - 03/06/18 09:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Alan,

Sounds really good. Very nice melody, good backing band and a nice set of lyrics.
Really nicely done.

Peter

#461078 - 03/08/18 01:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: PeterF]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan,

Sounds really good. Very nice melody, good backing band and a nice set of lyrics.
Really nicely done.

Peter

Thanks a bunch, Peter. I'm glad you enjoyed the song. Thanks for letting me know! best to you.

Alan

#461256 - 03/08/18 09:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
animarorecords Online   content
Expert

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Alan

This tune expresses homesick and blue very well.
Your present feeling moving into a different environment from the familiar house may reflect to this song a little.
The melody is sad somehow in spite of written in major key.
The sound is very clear and your vocal is really nice.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#461351 - 03/09/18 12:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Homesick and Blue [Re: Al-David]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
If there were issues with the initial balance, I can't hear any in the remix. Everything just works.

Love the mandolin. Great lyrics.

The rhyme scheme turns around on the chorus from AABB to ABAB, which got my attention. (Heheh... I got a comment in about song structure before Noel got a chance to post! wink ).

I'm glad you found a break to get this out!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

YouTube Find - Love it (with Band-in-a-Box 2018)

YouTube channel EmtpyHallToones uploaded a video of their guitar performance using Band-in-a-Box backing tracks!

Click here to watch.

Get to Know the 202 NEW RealTracks Released with Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

We released 202 NEW RealTracks with Band-in-a-Box® 2018! Learn more about these new RealTracks when you watch our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - 202 NEW RealTracks.

These new RealTracks (in Sets 278-300) are included in every Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - the Mac packages are on sale until June 30th!

Learn even more about the new RealTracks and listen to demos here.

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video for Mac

With Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, we've introduced Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks. This video shows you the different ways you can use these versatile new RealTracks.

Video link: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=zkO-AtAPv4g

You can also listen to demos of RealTracks Set 278: Shiny Vocal Oohs & Aahs here.

This RealTracks Set is available for just $29, and is also included in RealPAK 14: Country, and the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, Audiophile, or 2018 PlusPAK Upgrade.

Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Special Pricing Until June 30th!

With the recent Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release, we also released Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends June 30th!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! Learn more.

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 is a HIT!

Since the release Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we've received some great feedback!

"The added Piano Roll Window is... WONDERFUL!"
"Adding the Piano Roll Window is a BIG DEAL - thanks PG Music!"
"This significantly changes how I will use Band-in-a-Box in the future."
"And yet again you manage to come up with styles and instruments that we absolutely must have!"
"Great to have the Oohs and Ahhs RealTracks!"
"The RealTracks are worth their weight in gold to me. They really are an amazing invention for music creators."
"Just tonight popped together a quick video using one of the new video styles. Must say the whole process worked without a hitch so this really does look like a great new feature. And what a great teaching aid! "
"Such a comprehensive source for music making!"
"THIS IS EXCITING!"
"The new Audio Chord Wizard is my favorite new feature!"
"This should be great for creating backing tracks for covers."
"Oh wow. This has got to be the coolest enhancement in Band-in-a-Box 2018. This is so-o-o powerful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!"
"A brilliant piece of software!"
"What a release!!!"
"THEY DO NO PAY ME BUT if you don't own this you are crazy."
"Been using Band in a Box for years!! Great product for composing. I absolutely love the background vocals in Band-in-a-Box 2018."
"My compliments to the PG Music team who have once again have delivered an incredible collection of new styles and RealTracks to Band-in-a-Box this year!"
"There is still so much to explore and work with!"
"Love the new Video RealTracks!"
"The mixer included into the StylePicker is a great addition."
"Recent retirement and the 2018 version of BIAB is a perfect combination!!"
"The XTRA Styles are fantastic... any future idle music-related minutes I may have had are now totally gone... gonna find that perfect background rhythm on just about every one of my favorites!!!"
"I bought this Band-in-a-Box 2018 and I love it , it is amazing to work with!!!!!"
"...it's educational utility and the potential is awesome!!!"
"I must say, the new harmony options in particular have me chomping at the bit!"
"This will give my students a great overview of what's going on in an arrangement with the different instruments.!!!"
"A musician must have."
"Lovin' the new RealTracks!!!"
"This is amazing software!"
"Thank you for a wonderful tool for both musicians and singers - I can never say enough about this amazingly versatile product!"

Forum Stats
27612 Members
50 Forums
52202 Topics
432015 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
annzpdas01, drummingsteve, MichLeon, dave1990, mucheyielts2018

27612 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 189
Noel96 165