You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#460580 - 03/05/18 06:23 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Transfer to a DAW
jycroix Offline
Enthusiast

Just recently had a good tune in Band in a Box.
I transferred to my DAW (Sonar X3) without any major problems but for one exception.
In BB the tune has 42 measures but when I transferred it to my DAW I ended with only 29 measures.
The time of the tune is the same in both and I made sure that time signature and bpm were also the same in both.
What did I do wrong?
Can anyone please help?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Regards

Gerry

#460596 - 03/05/18 07:16 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
X3 is truncating the file? How are you importing tracks into Sonar?

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#460599 - 03/05/18 07:28 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
jycroix Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you Bob. I am importing each individual track to a Midi Sonar track by just clicking and dragging.
Like I said everything seems fine except the number of measures.

Thank you.
Gerry

#460603 - 03/05/18 07:46 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

So, it's 100% MIDI, right?

#460609 - 03/05/18 08:00 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
jycroix Offline
Enthusiast

What I import from BB. Yes.
But I have also done it the other way. Audio to audio from BB to Sonar and then, in Sonar, converted
the audio to midi.
Get the same result.

Thank you.

Gerry

#460615 - 03/05/18 08:15 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

So, let me be clear. The song plays complete, or cuts off at 29 measures?

#460643 - 03/05/18 10:53 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Is it the tempo?

Look at the tempo in BIAB, then change the tempo in SONAR to match. The measures will realign. Drag ‘n Drop from BIAB doesn’t always seem to transmit the tempo.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#460644 - 03/05/18 11:02 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
jycroix Offline
Enthusiast

Yes Bob. The song plays complete in both BB and Sonar. The duration is the same in both and like I mentioned earlier same BPM and Time Signature.
3 measures INTRO
12 measures CHORUS repeated 3 times
2 measures conclusion
But when imported into Sonar the choruses start at measure 4.5...12.5 and 20.5.
That is only 8 measures per chorus. But the song is complete...???????

Having fun with this issue are we.

By the way I went into your sound cloud. Very eclectic but also very nice music. Are they all your compositions?

Thank you

Gerry

#460648 - 03/05/18 11:22 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

The first thing I do in BIAB is set the measures to 90, and only 1 chorus repeat. I've never had a problem transferring a file from BIAB to X3 (which is my DAW as well). It could have something to do with that, but I don't know.

Yes, I have to plead guilty on the songs. grin

Regards,

Bob

#460658 - 03/05/18 12:03 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
jycroix Offline
Enthusiast

I will try that and let you know. Might be a couple of days though.
Congrats on the songs.

Regards

Gerry.

#460668 - 03/05/18 12:35 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
What is the time signature? I have found that time signatures like 5/4, 7/4 etc don't necessarily line up correctly because only 3/4 and 4/4 or time signatures that can be divided by 3 or 4 line up. So if you have a BiaB song set to 5/4 and Sonar set to 5/4 things will not line up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#460691 - 03/05/18 02:13 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
jycroix Offline
Enthusiast

I could not wait so I tried what Bob suggested. Still the same issue but I think I now know why it is happening. I do not understand but I know what makes it happen and I do not know if it has any bearings on the results.
Explanation: A) song in BAIB is a slow blues in 12/8 ........41 measures.........12/8 time signature
B) when tracks are imported in Sonar X3 ........41 measures if X3 at 4/4 times signature
C) 29 measures if X3 at 12/8 time signature.

I have listened to both X3 version and my old ears cannot tell if there are any differences in tone, beat or
whatever.
I do not know if all this makes sense.
Should I leave it 4/4 in X3 and proceed with what I want to do or what?
I am far from an expert but I love music and have a bunch of software to play with.
Regards
Thank you
Gerry

#460692 - 03/05/18 02:23 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
12/8 is handled in BIAB as a variation in 4/4. I never tried taking a BIAB song of that feel into SONAR.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#460702 - 03/05/18 03:53 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Gerry, that makes sense. BiaB only really looks for 3/4 or 4/4 and as Matt said any other time signature will show up as 3/4/ or 4/4. Try a song in 5/4, drop and drag to Sonar. It only lines up with the chord structure in 4/4 and even if you set Sonar's time signature to 5/4 it will not show up, that is measure wise, accurately. Same as you situation. I would leave it as 4/4 so your chords will match the measures.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#460706 - 03/05/18 04:25 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
After importing at 4/4 (to Sonar) can you then, in Sonar change it to 12/8?
Maybe Sonar will do a better job of lining things up 'after the fact'.

#460709 - 03/05/18 04:51 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
jycroix Offline
Enthusiast

As per my previous message, that is what I did originally. It does not work. By changing the time signature to 12/8 Sonar reduces the number of measures to 29 from 41.
I think I will go with Mario's suggestion.

Thank you

Gerry

#460710 - 03/05/18 04:51 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
jycroix Offline
Enthusiast

As per my previous message, that is what I did originally. It does not work. By changing the time signature to 12/8 Sonar reduces the number of measures to 29 from 41.
I think I will go with Mario's suggestion.

Thank you

Gerry

#464510 - 03/28/18 08:14 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: Transfer to a DAW [Re: jycroix]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

You need to make sure the time sigs are the same and the tempo is the same in Sonar and BB.

Also.... be aware if the "acidize" function as that can really screw with your stuff. Sonar is able to accept a key signature as well and if acidize is turned on, it changes the key and other parameters to match..... I'm not totally up to speed on this acidize thing but I recall it wrecking a few imports until I figure out that I needed to shut it off before I imported the tracks.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Complete RealBand 2018 Users Guide - Interactive Online Version Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page, and you'll find our latest addition - the online manual for the RealBand 2018 for Windows User's Guide!

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/index.htm

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this User's Guide can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video - Endorsing Artist Steve Wallace

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video from endorsing artist Steve Wallace!
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=6QcPF5cQjKw

"With the vast array of RealTracks and styles offered, Band-in-a-Box is a phenomenal program that can help any musician and composer hone their skills."
-Steve Wallace

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

Forum Stats
27989 Members
57 Forums
53996 Topics
446053 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
mononino, alphanumeric onl, Firebird, PMAudio, Ed Mace

27989 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 407
David Snyder 177