Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I know that's cd quality but wondered why higher bit depth and sample rate aren't recommended.

Mind you with my voice recording quality may not be a positive................

Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

The audio files that are provided with BIAB are 16/44.1. This means that if you use applications that convert them to higher or lower bit rates and frequencies, you run the risk of introducing audio artifacts. The more conversions to and fro, the greater the likelihood of sound degradation. A good dithering process can help reduce this.

My plan of attack with my songs is to keep all my BIAB tracks native at 16 bit and 44.1 kHz until I create my final product. This means that if there is a change in quality due to compressing or stretching, the existing BIAB tracks only ever undergo a single conversion.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Question, why would you bother to converting to 48k unless making the track for video?

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
One reason would be if you are using an interface with a native bit rate of 48k (think Creatve/Audigy or others). No 'on the fly' converting needed then.

It is more likely one would rather change to 24 bit as opposed to 16 bit though, which still needs a conversion.

There is more difference between 16/24 than there is between 44/48 (if the using the same 16/24 bit rate on each).
In other words, usually more to gain going from 16/44 to 24/44 than there is going from 16/44 to 16/48.
I don't see where anyone mentioned going to 48, did you assume that? Or see it in a different thread?

As for the original question; why 16/44? That's where RTs started. It was the 'common best' at the time. There are still systems in use that can only support that.

If they changed now they'd have to go back and redo thousands of recordings in order to gain nothing but additional file storage requirements. This may include redoing all the magical markers that make RTs work.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Expert
Expert
In Noel's post he say he works at 44.1 until the final product I assumed maybe wrongly that he then converted to 48. It was always my understanding one is better off to leave things as per the sampled rate. If sampled at 48 work at 48. If the product is for a CD (music) one is in fact better to sample at 44.1. I understood there is less loss working at the same rate from start to finish. No complex rendering. However I am here to learn.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 12/30/17 02:13 PM.

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Teunis
In Noel's post he say he works at 44.1 until the final product I assumed maybe wrongly that he then converted to 48. It was always my understanding one is better off to leave things as per the sampled rate. If sampled at 48 work at 48. If the product is for a CD (music) one is in fact better to sample at 44.1. I understood there is less loss working at the same rate from start to finish. No complex rendering. However I am here to learn.

Tony

Hi Tony,

My apologies for not fully explaining myself.

It would be rare for me to resample 44.1 kHz and convert it to 48 kHz. As you indicate, it's much better to leave tracks at 44.1 kHz.

What I do is to keep all BIAB tracks at 16/44.1 while I'm working on a song. Once the song is done, I render the tracks to a 16/44.1 single WAV file. (I have the Audiophile version of the software and all audio is 16/44.1 wav format.)

When I upload that WAV file to Soundcloud, Soundcloud applies its own compression routines and converts my WAV to 16/128 mp3. Since this compressing by Soundcloud is the first time that any of my BIAB tracks have been modified, the integrity of the original WAV is kept intact as much as possible.

Hope that helps clarify things.
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Thanks Noel, that I understand.

Tony

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Tony, to learn more, look up dither and upsample in a book about digital audio.

The sound is less affected when the math is easy. For example, some good digital audio converters handle rates of 88.2 and 96. The 88.2 is twice 44.1 so no errors will creep in when it’s converted to 44.1. Thus that may be a better sounding choice than 96 if the final destination is a CD. And of course ‘CD quality’ is more than a particular rate: it is a requirement that an audio file be 16/44.1 to meet the Red Book standard of audio CDs. DVDs use 48 and that’s why there is also 96.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
H
H
L.S.,

For my Roland RC-300 looper - according to its manual - all files need to be:
WAV, 16-bit linear, stereo linear and 44.1kHz.

It can’t find where to select a bit rate in biab for a WAV file. Does anybody know what the standard biab WAV file’s format is? Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks in advance!

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi. 16 bit, 44.1KHz is the standard for CD quality. BIAB for Windows has no adjustment. If you have the audiophile version, it uses .WAV files that are CD quality. If not, it uses .WMA files.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
H
H
Thanks Matt for the quick reply! I’ve got the audiophile version so this can’t be the problem. I’ll have to look further why the RC-300 plays the WAV files differently from what I’ve recorded.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I'm going to look up what a RC-300 looper is.

Can you tell us more detail? How is it connected? What happens? Especially, what does "plays the WAV files differently" mean?

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

H
H
Thanks for thinking with me! It’s Roland’s RC-300 looper. The WAV files are transported from my computer to the looper through a USB cable, exactly as described in the loopers’ manual. It’s kind a hard to describe how it sounds but it’s quite far from what I’ve recorded, maybe “speed up swirly” describes it a bit.
I suspect it can have something to do with the looper settings. So I’m going to dive a bit more deeper in the settings. I hope I will find the answer there. Thanks again!

Edit: you’re completely right, I should have said BOSS RC-300.

Last edited by Halocaster; 03/04/18 01:06 PM.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Speed up swirly does sound like a setting on the looper, though I have never used one (at least, not since an EchoPlex in the early 1970s).

A frequent complaint of sound that seems 'sped up' occurs when the sample rate is 48KHz, not 44.1. Check that.

'Swirly' could be from the pedal, as chorus, or flanger.

H
H
I thought 44.1kHz was the standard in a biab WAV file (or did I misunderstood?).
How can I check if it’s 44.1 or 48 kHz? Thanks again!

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
It is.

I'm suggesting that your pedal may not be set correctly.

Veteran
Veteran
Are you exporting your song project from Band-in-a-Box as a WAV file then importing the WAV file from your computer USB port to the USB port of the Boss Looper?

Have you checked Band-in-a-Box's audio settings to make sure the audio setting is 16 bit / 44.1 Khz sample rate? The program may have defaulted to different settings and maybe converting and you don't know that it is converting.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
also...

It's possible that 'speed up swirly' could describe audio artifacts that are created when an audio file is stretched or compressed too much.

These artifacts arise when audio is used too far outside the tempo at which it was created.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
H
H
Thanks to you all! No problems anymore, it must have been the tempo setting on my RC-300. So now I can continue playing. smile

Maybe I’m telling something already known, but for those interested: by right clicking on my .WAV file and after that clicking on “properties” I learned that the data rate is 1411 kbps which equals 44.1kHz in stereo (2 (stereo) x 16bits x 44.1 kHz = 1411 kbps (kilobits per second)).

So I seem to be lucky going for the Audiophile edition with my RC-300 (which was a bit mean, cause as an audiophile I simply couldn’t go for the other versions; clever people at PG Music Inc.). smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195