You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#460861 - 03/06/18 11:03 AM [User Showcase] Ordinary Places
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florida
Ordinary Places

Like David Snyder I saw the Songtradr listing for a Neil Young replacement of "Journey Through The Past." I thought I had missed the deadline but they extended it an extra day. So I wrote this and threw it together late last night. I'm not real familiar with Niel Young but this seemed similar to the reference song.

Ordinary Places

Real Tracks:
532: Bass, Acoustic, Pop Sw
2124:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm, Country Shuffle
952:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm, Country Boogie Open
2856:Harmonica, Background, Country Slow Swing Jelly Roll
609:Guitar, Resonator, Background Roundup
Real Drums=Nashville Swing 8

Vocals, Mixing and Editing done in Cubase 9

Lyrics:

Do you ever think of me and the times we had?
We always seemed to have a good time wherever we were at.
Sitting down at the coffee shop watching people walk by
Laughing and joking bout what they were wearing and wondering why.
Your hand in mine was soft as silk on that bench we’d share.
Now every time I pass by that shop I still see you there.

Those ordinary places
bring me thoughts of you.
Do those ordinary places
Bring thoughts of me to you?

I catch myself when I’m out and about starring into space
A big ol' grin thinking of you plastered on my face.
Standing in line at the grocery store I can see you there.
Reading the covers of the magazines and playing with your hair.
The little memories of me and you, they take me away.
Popping up everywhere I go every single day.

Those ordinary places
bring me thoughts of you.
Do those ordinary places
Bring thoughts of me to you?

www.sammycountry.com

#460865 - 03/06/18 11:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
I really like this one. Your vocals are stellar. It's a good write and arrangement and the mix is spot on. Glad they extended a day so you could get this one in.

#460927 - 03/06/18 06:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
Tano Music Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Really liked this track...great choice of RT's to fit your idea; vocals strong, and good lyric message. Thanks for sharing!

#460933 - 03/06/18 07:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Very good and emotive stuff Samuel. Very good vocals as well.
Keep them coming!

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#460948 - 03/06/18 09:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia

Very nice composition - good set of lyrics and an excellent vocal(which considering Neil's somewhat ragged vocal style may not win you the Neil Young gig!).

Has a really good overall feel.

Peter

#460956 - 03/07/18 12:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I really like this one, good write and vocal. Enjoyed the listen!

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#460969 - 03/07/18 07:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
Deryk - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

What a tune! I thoroughly enjoyed this one. As others have mentioned - your vocals are superb here, Samuel. Not only do you hit every note perfectly but the delivery is so raw and passionate. It really adds a wonderful dynamic. Plus, the lyrics carry a good weight too. It sounds very sincere and heartfelt.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

#460988 - 03/07/18 09:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
I really enjoyed your vocals on this song. Neil Young attempt or not, I think at the end of the day that this is a really good song that you should be proud of no matter the outcome.

Thanks for sharing!

#461045 - 03/07/18 06:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Thanks everyone for your comments. No deal on the song but another one to add to the collectiong. On to the next one.

www.sammycountry.com

#461239 - 03/08/18 06:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very familiar with Neil Young being a Canadian boy from Manitoba. I think you did a great job capturing a Neil Young song. Well done..

#461251 - 03/08/18 08:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Nicely done. Rob

#461329 - 03/09/18 11:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
kybordr Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Livermore, CA, USA
I liked this a lot, very compelling. The intro hooked me in the first few bars. Vocals perfect for the tune. And some fine craftsmanship in the lyrics. Nicely done!

#461336 - 03/09/18 11:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Good write, production and vocals. I enjoyed listening to it.

Even more impressive when I read you "threw it together late last night" - it certainly doesn't sound like a last minute submission.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#461404 - 03/09/18 08:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: dcuny]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Good write, production and vocals. I enjoyed listening to it.

Even more impressive when I read you "threw it together late last night" - it certainly doesn't sound like a last minute submission.

Thanks dcuny. I tend to do some decent work under preasure lol. Otherwise it takes forever to get something done.

www.sammycountry.com

#461438 - 03/10/18 06:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
David Snyder Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Good job man.

I am not sure how this whole thing works to tell you the truth. I have had some stuff shortlisted that were really, really goofy stupid things that took two seconds and other stuff that I spent more time on I got:

This song was listened to at 2:01 p.m.

We decided not to use this song at 2:01 pm.

I will keep giving it a try for a year, because I figure why not, but I do have questions. For example, I know for a fact that last month they scraped a list from a small time music placement firm's list and made it look like they had these great deals. It actuality, they were pitching to someone else's pitch sheet. I know this because I have email correspondence with the music placement director for that project.

So, that may be how the "business" works but there is a lot I don't get right now, and maybe I am not supposed to get it.

For the Neil Young thing, I dunno, if they didn't pick yours or mine for a longer listen, what DID they pick. I can see mine, because it was tongue in cheek from the get go, but yours was dead on.

So, are they real, or not?

I can't figure it out.

It seems really, really murky to me at this point.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com./davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#461532 - 03/10/18 06:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Samuel, I thought this was great. Laid back arrangement with a big soulful vocal. Good luck with it.
My Videos

#461614 - 03/11/18 01:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

A good listen, Samuel.

An interesting idea for a write. Actually reminded me more of something from The Band than a Neil Young thing - but that puts it in the same area...

#461685 - 03/11/18 05:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Cool song, and wonderful use of the band (sounds custom)!! There are some great lines here...natural and comfortable! Really well done in all aspects! Take care. Greg

#461994 - 03/13/18 02:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Ordinary Places [Re: Samuel Davis]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
We've listened to Young through all his permutations and given that you haven't you did a fine job of nailing his vibe...vocally and lyrically.

Re Songtradr we joined last spring, have had 56 shortlists, made the finals many times (on the wanted list) and never got licensed until last week when we were notified that Mood Music had licensed 14 of our tunes - albeit on the deals board.

Hang in. It's cheap and you never know!

We enjoyed this song!

J&B
J&B Website

PG Music News
#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

User Feedback - Run as Administrator

Our Forum is a great resource for all your Band-in-a-Box questions (and a GREAT place to connect with other program users!)

Among the many forums available, we have a User-to-User Tips & Tricks forum - perfect for sharing your own technical tips and tricks for any PG Music product!

Like the recent post by jford: You Should Run BIAB and RealBand As Administrator!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - Over 25 Entries!

We recently launched an Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest with 4 prizes of $150!

So far, there are more than 25 entries! Have a listen to these entries and submit your own song here.

Contest Rules:
-You must own Band-in-a-Box® 2018 along with one or more of the Xtra Styles PAK 5 packages (Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, MIDI)
-The song you submit must be your own original composition. This could be simply typing in chords to your song and pressing play, but you may also add additional instruments, solo, and/or melody.
-Public domain songs will be accepted.
-Multiple entries are permitted.
-Submit your song to the "Xtra Styles 5 Contest" forum, before the deadline. (This contest runs until September 30th)

For complete information on this contest, click here.

New Online Band-in-a-Box and RealBand Manuals

Do you hate digging around for manuals as much as I do? Now you can access the most recent Band-in-a-Box® and RealBand manuals with just a few clicks on the new Online Manuals section of our website.

The PDF manuals for version 2017 and 2018 are available now. Plus, we're adding online versions of these manuals too! The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Windows User's Guide is complete, and the Mac User's Guide will be coming very soon. We're even adding a search feature to make it even easier for you to find features that you are looking for - stay tuned!

You Could Win $150 PG Bucks with our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

Want to WIN $150 PG Bucks? Join the entries already submitted into our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest! When the contest closes on September 30th, we will be picking 4 winners (1 per genre)!

What you need:
-Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition
-Xtra Styles PAK 5 Windows | Mac
-a song written using one of the 160+ fully-mixed Styles included in your Xtra Styles PAK 5 purchase.

Complete contest rules list here.

Forum Stats
27964 Members
57 Forums
53937 Topics
445467 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
kikesh, RedVampirePrince, rockmarcus28, Bart Vervaeck, goldensleather

27963 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 502