You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#461049 - 03/07/18 06:22 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Style Master List asking to be updated dialog.. Please help!
Rustyspoon# Offline

Hi fellows.
I have 2018 BIAB,updated to 512 build.

I am getting desperate here a bit. Every time I try to open a style... in that style picker window I constantly get this dialog:
"The Style Master List needs to be updated for new styles etc..."

Ok, I say to that... it rebuilds, verifies, eliminates duplicates, whatever the mo-jo it does. When it is done, the next time I open style picker it asks me same thing:

Is there a magical button out of about a thousand magical buttons that BIAB has to turn off this wonderful reminder every time I pick a different style?

Drives me bananas....

Kindly help.
Thank you.

#461055 - 03/07/18 07:43 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Master List asking to be updated dialog.. Please help! [Re: Rustyspoon#]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Rusty, firstly welcome to the forums.

Try running BiaB as Administrator.

Right-click the desktop icon and select Run as Administrator.
Then try updating the StylePicker list.

Let us know if this resolves.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#461058 - 03/07/18 08:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Master List asking to be updated dialog.. Please help! [Re: VideoTrack]
Rustyspoon# Offline

VideoTrack,
Thank you for trying/suggestion. I ran biab as admimnistator,
stylepicker:
agreed.
Opened stylepicker again, same dialog:

P.S. I do not know if this situation causes the issue:
I moved Realtracks and Drums to another hard drive on computer because I was running low on space on primary drive, but I pointed them to correct paths in biab.

I get dialog every time I open stylepicker.

Anybody knows how to fix this?

Thank you.

#461060 - 03/07/18 09:39 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Master List asking to be updated dialog.. Please help! [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Rustyspoon...

Having the Realdrums and Realtracks on a separate drive shouldn't be the issue. It's how I run the program (2018, latest build).

Below is what I'd try if I encountered your problem.

1. If you don't have build 512 still on your computer, go to the link below and download it again.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

2. Close BIAB.

3. Right-click on the EXE for build 512 and choose "Run as administrator".

4. Give the EXE permission to install when Windows asks.

5. Check that the installation paths are correct.

6. After the install, got to the \bb directory.

7. Right-click on BBW.EXE and select "Run as administrator". (i.e. Do not start BIAB using the shortcut.)

8. After BIAB starts, enter Stylepicker because BIAB will need to re-build the Styles list.

9. Click on some random style and select "Load Demo Song".

10. Exit to BIAB's chord sheet.

11. Generate and play the song. (I doubt that 9, 10, 11 are needed but I'd do it nonetheless.)

12. Enter back into style picker. Does it still ask for a rebuild?

13. Close Stylepicker and exit BIAB.

14. Do not start BIAB using the shortcut. Go to \bb, right-click on BBW.EXE and select "Run as administrator".

15. Test Stylepicker. Does BIAB still ask to rebuild?

Let us know how you go.

Regards,
Noel

#461065 - 03/07/18 10:23 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Master List asking to be updated dialog.. Please help! [Re: Rustyspoon#]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Following on from Noel's valuable advice, in your x:\bb\data\ folder will be a file named Stylez1.bin (see image).

Can you check for that file and see if the Date/Time stamp has updated to the last time you performed a rebuild?

Also, right-click, select properties, and ensure that the file is NOT marked read only.

Also, in BiaB select Help > Utilities > Display Log File txt...

Check the top of that file for any error messages relating to the Styles (look for the date/time stamp to match the time of your actions).

Let us know the results.

Attachments
2018-03-08_17-17-07.jpg

2018-03-08_17-19-49.jpg

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#461103 - 03/08/18 05:07 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Master List asking to be updated dialog.. Please help! [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Rustyspoon# Offline

Noel96, VideoTrack thank you.

I followed all Noel96 15 steps, checked VideoTrack suggestion of time stamp / attributes. (Time stamp is correct, it is NOT read only file)
Same thing, still get the dialog "master List needs to be updated" every time I enter stylepicker.

I only have several projects in BIAB. I am assuming, next thing is complete reinstall of BIAB?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

#461109 - 03/08/18 05:53 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Master List asking to be updated dialog.. Please help! [Re: Rustyspoon#]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Rustyspoon, you may wish to undertake a full reinstall, but you may also wish to report this to PG Music through their support pages.

I cannot recall a problem as you have described. I think it's worth reporting.

It is likely to be a computer setting, rather than a problem with the program. I'm sure they will assist to resolve.

Please ask them to reference this thread if you call them. Might help to fast track.

Edited by VideoTrack (03/08/18 05:55 AM)
Edit Reason: ask to reference this thread also

#461161 - 03/08/18 11:10 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Master List asking to be updated dialog.. Please help! [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Like Videotrack, I can't recall this problem ever occurring before. I wonder if it's related to anti-virus software? What program do you use to protect your computer from viruses?

Try excluding your \bb and \Realband directories from being checked by the antivirus software. See if that helps.

One thought that just occurred to me.... what is your installation directory on your hard drive? If you've installed BIAB into "\program files", this is known to create issues.

If this problem was mine, my next step would be to reinstall. I'd choose the minimum installation with Realtracks on the external drive. (It shouldn't be necessary to reinstall all RTs.)

Once installation was complete, I'd modify the Realtracks and Realdrums paths so that they pointed to the installation's Realtrack's and Realdrum's folders that are already installed.

As Videotrack says, Support will be able help.

#461172 - 03/08/18 12:46 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Master List asking to be updated dialog.. Please help! [Re: Noel96]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

1:
When it asks to rebuild, is there a Code listed on the request dialog?

2:
Do you have a file named 'RebuildStylePicker.txt' in the x:\bb\Data folder. It is placed there with a new installation / upgrade to signal BiaB to force a rebuild when installing or updating styles by installing that file.

Once the rebuild is done, BiaB is supposed to delete this file. However if it is failing to delete it for some reason, that could explain the problem you have. Could you see if you have that file?

3:
Press the Rebuild button at the bottom of the StylePicker, instead of selecting it from the pop-up message dialog. See if that makes a difference.

Edited by VideoTrack (03/08/18 12:49 PM)
Edit Reason: Added item 3

#461179 - 03/08/18 01:44 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Master List asking to be updated dialog.. Please help! [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Noel got me thinking: along the lines of anti-virus, I recall we had a few cases where users had to turn off the anti-virus BEFORE installing BIAB. Not just exclude BIAB. Otherwise, they got weird symptoms like this one.

Paul, what anti-virus do you use? It might be one we have heard of with this problem.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#461255 - 03/08/18 09:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Master List asking to be updated dialog.. Please help! [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Rustyspoon# Offline

Thank you everybody who tried to help. Since my projects were saved outside bb folder, I decided just to reinstall it and now it is solid as a rock.

#461285 - 03/09/18 06:22 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Style Master List asking to be updated dialog.. Please help! [Re: Rustyspoon#]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Thanks for letting us know that you resolved, and the approach you took. Can also help others.

PG Music News
Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

YouTube Find - Love it (with Band-in-a-Box 2018)

YouTube channel EmtpyHallToones uploaded a video of their guitar performance using Band-in-a-Box backing tracks!

Click here to watch.

Get to Know the 202 NEW RealTracks Released with Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

We released 202 NEW RealTracks with Band-in-a-Box® 2018! Learn more about these new RealTracks when you watch our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - 202 NEW RealTracks.

These new RealTracks (in Sets 278-300) are included in every Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - the Mac packages are on sale until June 30th!

Learn even more about the new RealTracks and listen to demos here.

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video for Mac

With Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, we've introduced Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks. This video shows you the different ways you can use these versatile new RealTracks.

Video link: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=zkO-AtAPv4g

You can also listen to demos of RealTracks Set 278: Shiny Vocal Oohs & Aahs here.

This RealTracks Set is available for just $29, and is also included in RealPAK 14: Country, and the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, Audiophile, or 2018 PlusPAK Upgrade.

Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Special Pricing Until June 30th!

With the recent Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release, we also released Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends June 30th!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! Learn more.

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 is a HIT!

Since the release Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we've received some great feedback!

"The added Piano Roll Window is... WONDERFUL!"
"Adding the Piano Roll Window is a BIG DEAL - thanks PG Music!"
"This significantly changes how I will use Band-in-a-Box in the future."
"And yet again you manage to come up with styles and instruments that we absolutely must have!"
"Great to have the Oohs and Ahhs RealTracks!"
"The RealTracks are worth their weight in gold to me. They really are an amazing invention for music creators."
"Just tonight popped together a quick video using one of the new video styles. Must say the whole process worked without a hitch so this really does look like a great new feature. And what a great teaching aid! "
"Such a comprehensive source for music making!"
"THIS IS EXCITING!"
"The new Audio Chord Wizard is my favorite new feature!"
"This should be great for creating backing tracks for covers."
"Oh wow. This has got to be the coolest enhancement in Band-in-a-Box 2018. This is so-o-o powerful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!"
"A brilliant piece of software!"
"What a release!!!"
"THEY DO NO PAY ME BUT if you don't own this you are crazy."
"Been using Band in a Box for years!! Great product for composing. I absolutely love the background vocals in Band-in-a-Box 2018."
"My compliments to the PG Music team who have once again have delivered an incredible collection of new styles and RealTracks to Band-in-a-Box this year!"
"There is still so much to explore and work with!"
"Love the new Video RealTracks!"
"The mixer included into the StylePicker is a great addition."
"Recent retirement and the 2018 version of BIAB is a perfect combination!!"
"The XTRA Styles are fantastic... any future idle music-related minutes I may have had are now totally gone... gonna find that perfect background rhythm on just about every one of my favorites!!!"
"I bought this Band-in-a-Box 2018 and I love it , it is amazing to work with!!!!!"
"...it's educational utility and the potential is awesome!!!"
"I must say, the new harmony options in particular have me chomping at the bit!"
"This will give my students a great overview of what's going on in an arrangement with the different instruments.!!!"
"A musician must have."
"Lovin' the new RealTracks!!!"
"This is amazing software!"
"Thank you for a wonderful tool for both musicians and singers - I can never say enough about this amazingly versatile product!"

Forum Stats
27612 Members
50 Forums
52203 Topics
432028 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
annzpdas01, drummingsteve, MichLeon, dave1990, mucheyielts2018

27612 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 190
Noel96 165