Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#460309 - 03/04/18 03:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
A good job on the mix. I like the song a lot and enjoyed my listen.

#460634 - 03/05/18 10:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: animarorecords]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
good job. I really like the choice of RT's.

I appreciate that -thanks for the listen and comments.

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Robert

Your originality was demonstrated very well in this song.
Unexpected chords that sometimes come out and change of rhythm.
Calm and beautiful melody.
All of them are the characteristics of your songs.
Your vocals fit very well with them and they are very comfortable.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki,
Thank you, I`m especially glad you liked the melody... as usual it started with something borrowed I let percolate `til it sounds original!

Robert

#460642 - 03/05/18 10:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Robert,

I also really enjoyed the dream-like, ethereal quality that this creation had. It was like you transported me to another time and place for three and a half minutes.

It sounds like you're getting the hang of Reaper. I've been using it for a number of years and I really like it.

All the best,
Noel

#460872 - 03/06/18 11:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Floyd said, “A nice dream-like lyric (and melody). The guitar/cello/vocal treatment is perfect for it.”

We couldn’t agree more. The cello and that perfect acoustic are ideal for the melody and the timbre of your vocal.

Tom mentioned the interesting chords and the cinematic feel. It is very visual.

Looks and sounds like your new DAW is going to work out well.

Well done!

J&B

PS When we moved from GarageBand to Logic Pro I was initially was overwhelmed by the learning curve. After finally focusing on the 10% of the capabilities I would actually use it went well.
J&B Website

#460919 - 03/06/18 04:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: tommyad]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Robert, I like the way the abstract poetic lyrics fit the music. It is a dreamlike feel and cinematic. Interesting chord choices help make this a great listen, Tom

Tom has a great ear for the mix and "character" of songs, as do a few other talented folks on this forum. I rarely find reason to disagree with them and I fully agree with Tom's assessment of this song. I've always enjoy the pop-folk sound - tends to mix great verse writing with subdued yet emphatic music backing. you excelled at both on this one. It's always a pleasure to listen to you music - this is a great example why. Best to you.

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#460931 - 03/06/18 06:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: jannesan]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Robert,

Great work once again and that signature vocal is beautiful as always, but really shines here.
We also love the cello.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Rob & Anne-Marie,
Thank you for that. I`m trying to reduce the amount of processing on my vocals so I`m glad you liked them here.

Robert
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice to hear your use of the _LONEBOY style now that I'm putting out my song based on it smile I really like the wholeness here, the vocals, poetic lyrics and sparse arrangement all blending together to form a nice folk song, a man and his guitar in a romantic landscape.

Janne

Thanks Janne.
Its a very good style (Lawrence also used it to fine effect on a ballad recently)- I`m happy you enjoyed the romantic feel of the song.

Robert

#461053 - 03/07/18 07:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Noel96]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
A good job on the mix. I like the song a lot and enjoyed my listen.

Charlie,
Thanks for the listen and postive comments.

Robert

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Robert,

I also really enjoyed the dream-like, ethereal quality that this creation had. It was like you transported me to another time and place for three and a half minutes.

It sounds like you're getting the hang of Reaper. I've been using it for a number of years and I really like it.

All the best,
Noel

Noel,
Thank you! I`m glad the dream-like feeling came through.
The video instruction content with Reaper is proving most useful... baby steps, but fun so far.

Robert

#461211 - 03/08/18 05:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Loc: Missouri
Sounds great Robert! Lovely tune with a great production. Really like the chord changes in this one! Torrey

#461371 - 03/09/18 03:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Janice & Bud]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Floyd said, “A nice dream-like lyric (and melody). The guitar/cello/vocal treatment is perfect for it.”

We couldn’t agree more. The cello and that perfect acoustic are ideal for the melody and the timbre of your vocal.

Tom mentioned the interesting chords and the cinematic feel. It is very visual.

Looks and sounds like your new DAW is going to work out well.

Well done!

J&B

PS When we moved from GarageBand to Logic Pro I was initially was overwhelmed by the learning curve. After finally focusing on the 10% of the capabilities I would actually use it went well.

J&B,

That`s very kind, thank you!
I doubt I`ll have the patience to get much beyond the duffer level with any DAW and am in awe of those on this forum (like you!) who turn out professional level mixes. Still its nice to be able to go back to some of my earlier songs and leave them better than I found them.

Robert

#461446 - 03/10/18 07:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
David Snyder Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Robert,

Gorgeous lyrics and great vocals.

I love the mix but the final sound seems a bit hot and is not like what I have heard in your previous mixes.

There is an effect on the vocals and guitar that is making them sound a little bit metallic and the final seems over compressed. I have never heard this in your productions before.

Maybe you are getting used to a new DAW and working out the kinks?

Also, the cello panned all the way to the left side, it could maybe come a little more center. Those are just a few nits but I really, really, love the song. Again, great lyrics.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#461487 - 03/10/18 12:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Torrey Bliss]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Robert, I like the way the abstract poetic lyrics fit the music. It is a dreamlike feel and cinematic. Interesting chord choices help make this a great listen, Tom

Tom has a great ear for the mix and "character" of songs, as do a few other talented folks on this forum. I rarely find reason to disagree with them and I fully agree with Tom's assessment of this song. I've always enjoy the pop-folk sound - tends to mix great verse writing with subdued yet emphatic music backing. you excelled at both on this one. It's always a pleasure to listen to you music - this is a great example why. Best to you.

Alan

Thanks very much for the endorsement Al- all the best to you!

Robert
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Sounds great Robert! Lovely tune with a great production. Really like the chord changes in this one! Torrey

Torrey,

Thank you for the listen and kind comments.

Robert

#461492 - 03/10/18 12:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Robert,

This is really excellent - shades of Nick Drake... I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Bob

#461494 - 03/10/18 12:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: David Snyder]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Robert,

Gorgeous lyrics and great vocals.

I love the mix but the final sound seems a bit hot and is not like what I have heard in your previous mixes.

There is an effect on the vocals and guitar that is making them sound a little bit metallic and the final seems over compressed. I have never heard this in your productions before.

Maybe you are getting used to a new DAW and working out the kinks?

Also, the cello panned all the way to the left side, it could maybe come a little more center. Those are just a few nits but I really, really, love the song. Again, great lyrics.

David,
Your comments are very welcome- they gave me the chance to go back and have another listen. With the space of a week or so to clear my mixing head, I think I can hear what you`re talking about in the vocals & overall level of compression...
so with the beauty of using a DAW that doesn`t crash and is quick to work with, I`ve now changed the order of the vocal effects ( Nectar2,Breath Control,Vocal Rider) and it seems to me a bit better. I also removed an Alloy guitar effect ( very little change there to my ears - it is an RT recorded with very crisp picking & lots of string squeaks) & reduced the cello pan from 60% to 40%.
The mastering originally was done with the higher compression of the Greg Calbi presets - now there`s a much lighter setting.
Have another listen if you get time, and thanks again for sharing your impressions.

Robert

#461499 - 03/10/18 01:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
David Snyder Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Robert,

The difference between night and day. You must have sound cloud pro if you can swap out tracks like that. Do you find pro worth the money?

Whatever you did this time I would use as a baseline.

The moment you said Greg Calibri preset I knew what it was. I don't go anywhere NEAR those Calibri presets unless I want a blue brick. I HATE them.

But this sounds great.

Use the Robert K-Genie presets from here on out.

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#461513 - 03/10/18 03:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: David Snyder]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

David,
Yes, I`ve been paying ( $50 a year- seems like a good deal to me )for SoundCloud Pro from about 3 months after I began posting songs and realised I`d be remixing every song again and again as I learnt the ropes.So far SoundCloud is the only platform I use so like to keep it uncluttered.
Your comment about the Greg Calibri presets made me smile-I thought they were way too compressed as well on first listen... then I started to second guess why my mixes were about 10dbs quieter than many of the songs from the forum and threw this one in there.
Its good to know the revision goes in the right direction - many thanks for letting me know!

Robert

#461639 - 03/11/18 02:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
gruverider Offline
Expert

I really like your use of guitar vocal cello. Great write and execution.

much enjoyed

#461695 - 03/11/18 05:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Pretty song!! That cello part is just beautiful!! You are such a wonderful poet Robert...always creative and unique lyrical images! Really nice job on this one!! Take care. Greg

#461858 - 03/12/18 07:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Greg Johnson]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Robert,

This is really excellent - shades of Nick Drake... I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Bob

Bob,

You know you`ll go straight to my soft spot mentioning one of my absolute favourite songwriters. Thank you!

Robert
Originally Posted By: gruverider
I really like your use of guitar vocal cello. Great write and execution.

much enjoyed

That`s appreciated... actually your recent song introduced me to this style, so thanks for that too!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Pretty song!! That cello part is just beautiful!! You are such a wonderful poet Robert...always creative and unique lyrical images! Really nice job on this one!! Take care. Greg

Greg,
Many thanks for your listen and very kind comments. I`m glad to see you back with a new song!

Robert

#461911 - 03/13/18 07:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
There's just so much to like about this composition.

Lyrically, it is sensational; but the quality extends to the musical excellence that becomes the subject of the entire song.

Very enjoyable.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#461927 - 03/13/18 09:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Blue Medicine [Re: Robertkc]
cliftond Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Alabama
enoyed this one Robert, has just the right elements, love that violin break.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Complete RealBand 2018 Users Guide - Interactive Online Version Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page, and you'll find our latest addition - the online manual for the RealBand 2018 for Windows User's Guide!

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/index.htm

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this User's Guide can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video - Endorsing Artist Steve Wallace

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video from endorsing artist Steve Wallace!
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=6QcPF5cQjKw

"With the vast array of RealTracks and styles offered, Band-in-a-Box is a phenomenal program that can help any musician and composer hone their skills."
-Steve Wallace

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

Forum Stats
27997 Members
57 Forums
54109 Topics
446403 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
gianni2007, SP3, Kevyn285, nitz, smokinhalfnote

27996 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 499
David Snyder 183