Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
OP Offline
D
Hi again
When I load a song with midi instrument tracks but with realdrums track. The drum track is out of sinc with the midi tracks.
I get a strange count in too from the real drums track. Instead of the usual 1-2-1234, I just get 3-1234 then the midi tracks start out of sing with the drums.
I’ve tried ‘sliding’ the Realdrum track but that does not work even with the maximum amount allowed.
Any advice please?

Expert
Expert
Had that, and now seems less happening with v512. Usually refreshing the RTs fixes that. F

D
OP Offline
D
Just tried rebuild on RTs and RDs no change I’m afraid. I also have the latest build. 512.
Is there no way to edit the intro bars in realdrums as I feel that is where the issue is?
Thanks anyway F.
Dave

B
Expert
Expert
B
I have had 3 issues that we all fixed by logging in as administrator and the setting back to factory defaults. One of them was a sync issue too (the chord window bars were not in sync with the music and were actually out by exactly one beat). I have no idea why this fixed the issues but it did. I also had one midi driver issue get fixed with a fresh install of windows after getting a new disk drive when the one I replaced had an error.

So now I maintain a list of things I have to reset after I do this fix (only 3 minor things). I am considering doing this factory reset at least once a month or before my live jams.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
...logging in as administrator and the setting back to factory defaults

I agree with John. The above is what I'd try.

To log in as administrator...

1. close BIAB

2. Right-click on the start-up short-cut and select "Run as administrator

Setting "back to factory defaults" is found under the "Options" menu on the top menu bar. There are two options here. Try the "Most settings" one first and then, if that doesn't work, try the "All settings".

Also, prior to resetting, I suggest saving a copy of the current preferences (under "Options") so that they can be reloaded if necessary.

Lastly, before doing any of the above, restart the computer. A full restart will clear all memories of those bits and bytes that sometimes get stuck in memories and stop the computer from operating at its optimum.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Davedrum,

If you click on the Options menu, then MIDI/Audio Driver Setup, is the "Use VST/DXi Synth" checkbox checked?

If it isn't, then you may be using the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (MIDI Output Driver) for your MIDI sounds, which often has a lot of latency, causing sync issues.

Checking that box usually fixes it.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

B
Expert
Expert
B
Thanks for your post above Noel. There were a few things I didn't know.

In the end, if reinstalling windows is a cause, taking an image backup immediately after your software is loaded is a great time saver for any future needs to bring Windows back to the way it was upon a fresh install. I use Acronis or AOMEI. AOMEI may not be able to create a rescue disk with Win 7 but since it is free there is no risk trying. I created a rescue disk in Win 10 and it is readable in Win 7 and they say it will work to bring back my images.

Last edited by bowlesj; 03/09/18 04:25 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
D
OP Offline
D
Oh dear, what a foul up.

I Followed the above instructions exactly as listed now I have all sorts of weirdness going off.
Firstly no sound at all. Then about 10 to 15 seconds later, the sound starts on its own but with no real drums.
A real mess, don’t know what to do next.
For info output driver is set to MS GS wavtable synth and the VSTi/DXi synth box is ticked. Tried unticking .. Mindy instruments kick in then a few seconds later realdrums start.
Absolute mess!

HELP!!!!

B
Expert
Expert
B
Would the operating system and cpu speed effect it? What about disk drive errors etc.

My charting software company would ask you to open a chat with support and be ready to give them a randomly generated code for them to log in to take control of your machine to pock around. They have done this with me about 5 times. Most times they were able to fix the problem immediately. One time they sent some diagnostic logs for the developers to study(something hidden away in the software). There was one time they asked me to take a video of exactly what was happening on the screen (the situation warranted that and they used it to solve the problem. Support beyond anything I have seen). I don't know what the competition is for BIAB but no one could touch it if they did this. Having said that the software is pushing $2,000 now for a life time purchase. I got it for about $600 in 2007.

Last edited by bowlesj; 03/10/18 02:20 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
Dave,

Try the below and see if it helps.

Firstly...

Have a look at IMAGE 1 below.

1. Click on Audio (#1 on IMAGE 1)

2. Select "Audio | Audio Driver/Settings" (#2)

3. Click on the dropdown menu (#3) and set the Audio driver to MME (it's probably set to WAS at the moment)

Secondly...

Have a look at IMAGE 2 below.

1. Select "Options | Preferences" and then select the MIDI driver button (#1 on IMAGE 2)

2. Set #2, #3, #4, #5 exactly as shown on IMAGE 2

3. Click on button #6. This will open a new dialogue window (IMAGE 3 below).

4. Click on "Default Synth" button (#1 on IMAGE 3)

5. Click on the dropdown menu (#2) and select Coyote WT. Close the window

6. Button #7 should say MME. If it doesn't, click on it and select MME as the audio driver

The above are general, default settings for BIAB that should work.

Now Exit back to BIAB.

Load a song, generate it and see how it sounds. I suggest that before trying a song that's a mix of MIDI tracks, Realtracks and Realdrums, try a song that is all Realtrack and Realdrums.

How did you go? Did the all-Realinstruments song play ok? Also, did the song that was a mix of MIDI and Realtracks play ok?

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
audio driver set up audio menu.JPG (56.03 KB, 66 downloads)
IMAGE 1... Audio driver settings in the 'Audio' menu
coyote WT and audio settings.JPG (119.08 KB, 66 downloads)
IMAGE 2... MIDI driver and VSTi/DXi basic setup
coyote WT setting as default synth.JPG (43.2 KB, 64 downloads)
IMAGE 3... Setting Coyote WT as the default synth

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Davedrum
Oh dear, what a foul up .... For info output driver is set to MS GS wavtable synth and the VSTi/DXi synth box is ticked. Tried unticking .. Mindy instruments kick in then a few seconds later realdrums start.
Absolute mess! HELP!!!!

As Kent suggested, MS wavetable is a NONO. The Coyote wave table synth that comes with BIAB is far better. How ever there are many GM soft synths out there, free or payed which are still better. My fav is Halion Sonic (SE or 2), and a 32bit version comes with Cubase's older pre v9 versions, also the cheaper versions like Artist and maybe also Elements.

I use Halion Sonic 3, jBridged for BIAB. But you've supplied not too much info about your system. It can be that your windows needs some tweaking, especially if it's windows 10; I found f.i. USB audio errors thanks to a windows 10 DirectX 12 issue, and also some graphics hardware drivers can give problems since a recent windows update. F

Veteran
Veteran
Dave,

From the date you've joined the forum, I interpret it to mean that you are relatively new to all this and I suspect that some things that have been said in the posts above might be confusing.

Just to clarify some things that have been said...

My above instructions tell you how to set up the Coyote wavetable synth (Coyote WT) that fiddler mentions.

Also, for Coyote WT to work properly, it's necessary to have Microsoft GS Wavetable synth selected (#2 on IMAGE 2 above). The Microsoft Wavetable Synth will not be playing but it is a quirk of BIAB that its selection is required for the best performance of Coyote WT (which is what you will hear after setting up as I've described in a couple of posts above).

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
D
OP Offline
D
Noel. , you’ve done it again! THANKYOU!
Followed your instruction to the letter and all seems to be working again as normal, including rectifying my original problem of real drums being out of sinc with the midi tracks.
Sadly I’ve no idea why what I did worked (I’m not that into the computing side of things) however I’m going to copy you instruction for future use just in case.

Once again thank you. Absolute lifesaver.

Regards and respect to you sir.
Dave

D
OP Offline
D
Just want to post my thanks to all you guys for your suggestions and help.
I’ve used BIAB before but a very early 2005 version with no realband, realtracks etc.
The technical side of the package I’ve never come to terms with, I just want it to do what it says on the tin so to speak. I have absolutely no aversion to computers and have used them for years but not on a technical
Your advice and hel has helped me a great deal in these early days with BIAB 2018 which is a bib big step up from my 2005 version.
Once again thank everyone
Dave.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Davedrum
Noel. , you’ve done it again! THANKYOU!
Followed your instruction to the letter and all seems to be working again as normal, including rectifying my original problem of real drums being out of sinc with the midi tracks.
Sadly I’ve no idea why what I did worked (I’m not that into the computing side of things) however I’m going to copy your instructions for future use just in case.

Once again thank you. Absolute lifesaver.

Regards and respect to you sir.
Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm glad that all is back up and running for you.

What I encourage you do now is to go to "Options" and click on "Save preferences". This will allow you to save all your preferences that are now working. Then, if something unexpected happens in the future that makes things a bit wobbly again, it's just a matter of reloading the saved preferences.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,630
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193