Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the help.

We are in the middle of our busy season. My XP computers on stage will probably last through the rest of it, and then I'll resume searching. In retrospect it was probably foolish of me to even think about this during the height of the tourist season.

If worse comes to worse I could convert them all to .pdf files, but with 550+ songs, it's something I'd rather not spend the time on.

Take care,
Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
The default page orientation when firing up WordPad is tied to the settings of the default printer. I just checked here selecting 'Microsoft Print to PDF' as default printer and selected 'Landscape' in the printer settings.

Now WordPad opens up saved documents in landscape mode (Windows 10).

Martin
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks.

I tried that and as many times as I set the default to landscape, click "Apply" and/or "OK" it's stubborn and reverts back to portrait.

I went to Control Panel > Devices and Printers > set Microsoft Print to PDF as the default > Right Click > Select "Printing Preferences" > Choose "Landscape" in the drop down box > Click "Apply" > Click "OK" and it immediately reverts to portrait.

Instead of "Printing Preferences" I chose "Printer Properties" > "Preferences" > "Landscape" etc. same results.

I even tried "Change Properties" the "Do you want to allow..." dialog box comes up > "Yes" > "Preferences" > "Landscape" > Apply > "OK" and it immediately reverts to Portrait.

I did notice one thing that might be a clue. In the status bar at the bottom of the Devices And Printers dialog box, when complete, it says "Status: Setup incomplete because of a metered connection".

I have no idea what that means.

I have an early gig today, so that is the next mystery.

I tried the same thing with the Nitro PDF Creator that came with my ThinkPad, and it does the same thing.

This also happens on two computers.

There should be a way if it works on yours.

Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
Veteran

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
P
Paj Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
If you start the Open Office interface, minimize it, and then use Windows Explorer to open a document file, it will open quickly and windowed exactly the way you saved it.

Would saving your files as PDF help?

Paj
8^?

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks, next day off this will be the first stop.

I think my computer guy put one of my computers on a metered connection and instructed me to to the same to the others.

This was in the Win 8 to Win 10 days. Microsoft was using Leilani's computer as a distribution source to other computers. Since we live too far away from the fiber optics, we can only get DSL light, so whenever Leilani's computer was on, our DSL connection slowed to a crawl (dial-up speed).

We have a St Patty's party every day of the week, s next week I'll do a fresh disk image and try those links.

Thanks again,
Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Not sure whether metered connections are responsible for the recalcitrant behavior of your printer settings. I just set my system to 'metered connection' and tried this printer-settings-to-Landscape gymnastics. Worked flawlessly and WordPad opens documents in Landscape mode even with metered connection settings.

I did not see your reported warning "Status: Setup incomplete because of a metered connection", though. This might well be due to the fact, that I am on a DSL connection, which bypasses any mobile connection restriction, of course.

However, it sure appears somewhat unlikely, that this metered connection business should interfere with these printer settings at all. After all, printer settings may flawlessly get changed with any mobile or Wlan connection cut off.

If your printer settings keep being stubborn, this may be a case for a chat with some Microsoft Support guy - they have this Live Chat feature these days. Check it out.

Martin
Veteran
Veteran
One of my links was from Microsoft. They are aware of this setting affecting printers .. just saying.
IT nerds run into every weird thing you can imagine.

Bob mentioning the error was a huge help (clue) in what was happening.
Anyway, worth a shot.

From MS -
"You might receive this message when you connect a device and it tries to connect to the Internet using a metered connection to check for new device software. To avoid unexpected data charges, your PC won't allow the device to automatically check for new software when you use a metered connection.

To always download device software on a metered connection:

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, select Settings > Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, choose Settings, and then select Change PC settings.)
Select PC and devices.
Select Devices, then make sure Download over metered connections is set to On.

Once you've finished downloading your devices updates, you can turn this setting off to avoid unexpected charges when you're on a metered network."

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks. I'll give that a try next day off.

I hate to do any changes without making a full Acronis image first, and that takes a couple of hours.

It does seem like a weird way to go just to get WordPad to remember to open a file saved in the landscape mode to open in the landscape mode.

Notes

Veteran
Veteran
There is an off chance that the printer settings behavior may be due to, for whatever reasons, limited rights ->

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/not-able-to-change-the-printer-properties/55c7a872-5bdd-48c7-8b65-905bc7a4328e

Martin
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks - nice try but I've already been there.

This is really weird. If I save in landscape mode it should open in landscape mode.

I can save a page in MS Publisher in landscape mode and it opens in landscape mode, but WordPad in Win10 will not.

I can save a page in Word as a doc in landscape and it will open as a landscape in Word or Libre Office but not WordPad (wordpad doesn't really like doc files as the formatting confuses it). So I saved it as .rtf, opened in WordPad and it opens in letter mode.

I think the problem is WordPad.

Notes

Veteran
Veteran
Hey Notes, did you get a chance to try Rharv's metered connection links? I'm still wondering if that could be part of the problem. At least to see if we can rule that one out.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
WordPad was a Windows 95 replacement for Microsoft Write and was always just a barebones editor one step above Notepad, but allowing for a limited amount of rich text formatting. And the issues with opening DOC files are known by MS, in that they even dropped DOC support with Windows Vista.

I would agree that the problem is probably WordPad itself.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Notes, google/bing you problem and you will find out that you are not alone! WordPad, or more precisely MS, is the problem.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Sorry I didn't read through all these post but did you try copying and running WordPad from XP or 7 on 10 in normal or compatibility
mode ?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
WordPad.png (42.74 KB, 65 downloads)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I liked the bare-bones Notepad with fonts and the ability to paste an image and nothing more. It make a great full screen display, perfect for lyrics with perhaps a line or two of music pasted from a notation app.

I think the thing to do is find a replacement. My XP and 7 computers are still working fine so I'm OK on stage. I just need to be ready with a substitute for the eventuality that one fails.

Notes

D
D
Dear Martin,

You probably have no idea how many people for how many years have been trying to find the answer you have just given to the problem of Wordpad retaining its orientation settings when reopening a RTF document. It is probably the most neglected piece of information Microsoft have never had the heart to supply. I have read so many expressions of frustration over this little known if not UNKNOWN fact.... that the page orientation is connected with the printer page orientation setting.

Some who have received your tip have unfortunately gone about it the wrong way. Going through the control panel doesn't work.

The right way is to have a RTF page open in Wordpad and go to print... at that point adjust the page print orientation to landscape or the default of portrait. When you save the page and close it, on reopening it will open in the orientation you set in the printer setup.

I believe it has also saved my tab margin settings too.

Thank you Martin for contributing in writing, this simple solution to the preservation of sanity in this age of the Covid-19 Devil

Diarbe

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Diarbe, and welcome to the Forum! smile

Martin
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,491
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195