Drums - EZDrummer, Indie Folk
Strummed Guitars - Session Guitars 1 & 2
Bass - Bass On Demand

Vocal Processing - Waves Tune
Mastering - Ozone Elements
DAW - Reaper

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #461876 03/12/18 11:54 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

My favorite from you so far! I love the singer-songwriter 70s feel of this one. The track selection and production is excellent as well - great vocal.

Bob

dcuny #461881 03/13/18 01:40 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Perfect listen for my own Lenten journey--trying to be that Better Man...also trying to be a better BIAB composer, and you've given me some new songwriting ideas and inspirations with this great contribution..there are details in the mix and arrangement that I will learn from...besides the fact that it is a joy to listen to..thanks.

dcuny #461886 03/13/18 02:18 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"I'll write a different story
Sing a better song
Find ways to show that I was wrong"

Man, you are hittin' the note with this production. I'd rather listen again than to parse out all the good things. Suffice it to say that to our ears everything works -- the write, arrangement, production, vocals, BiaB tracks (trumpet is outstanding), drums are all in the pocket. And it sounds great on the monitors. Not to mention that we love well written redemption lyrics.

Kudos!!!

J&B

dcuny #461887 03/13/18 02:18 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David, This is a fine example of the how to use different sources along with Biab. The drums sound fantastic. The production is really well done. I like the lyrics and your vocals do them justice. This is your best to date and look forward to your next one, Tom

dcuny #461889 03/13/18 02:22 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
David, this is exceptional in just so may ways.

Least of all, my great respect with your persistence with with amazing development of vocal technologies.

There is much to comment on the driving forces within your contribution. Sensational!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
dcuny #461896 03/13/18 02:55 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

This is truly an enjoyable listen!

The opening is nice - a good piano sound and a "grab ya" drum flurry.

Love the sound of the vocal. The various processing works well. The harmonies are exquisite!

The strumming guitars are impressive. The dynamics of verse production verses the chorus production is well done. The ending trumpet is a nice touch.

The chorus is catchy-as-all-get-out...

Excellent mix. Excellent song!

floyd

rsdean #461958 03/13/18 09:39 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
I love the singer-songwriter 70s feel of this one. The track selection and production is excellent as well - great vocal.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

-- David Cuny

dcuny #461959 03/13/18 09:39 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really enjoyable melodic pop song, somewhere between Oasis and George Harrison, very good selection of instruments, I like especially the drumming, 'Indie Folk' describes the song very well. Nice chord changes, good lyrics and the message nicely crystallized in the ending section. Beautiful sounding vocals in the upper register. The ending trumpet leaves a delicious dreamy after-taste.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

Tano Music #461961 03/13/18 09:43 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
...there are details in the mix and arrangement that I will learn from...besides the fact that it is a joy to listen to..thanks.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I may go back and fix some of the squeaks from the guitar on the right, and maybe balance it a bit better. Or I could just leave it alone and move on to something else... wink

-- David Cuny

Janice & Bud #461968 03/13/18 09:55 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Suffice it to say that to our ears everything works -- the write, arrangement, production, vocals, BiaB tracks (trumpet is outstanding), drums are all in the pocket.

Thanks!

Yes, that trumpet is really nice. And I'd gotten the Indie Folk drums a while back because they've got a cool sound, but never used them. Writing songs gives me an excuse to put all these lovely sounds to use. smile

-- David Cuny

tommyad #461972 03/13/18 10:05 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
David, This is a fine example of the how to use different sources along with Biab.

Thanks, Tom!

Yes, the basic track was just drum, guitar and bass. I drove around with that track for a while working out the melody.

The BiaB tracks came in last, and they did a great job filling in the gaps. It's very much like being able to hire a session player to sweeten a track, only on a budget I can afford. smile

-- David Cuny

AudioTrack #461974 03/13/18 10:09 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
David, this is exceptional in just so may ways.

Thanks!

Quote:
Least of all, my great respect with your persistence with with amazing development of vocal technologies.

Yeah, I've got to get back to that. I was hoping to have something delivered by the end of 2017, but I guess I just ran out of steam.

I'm starting to tinker with some new ideas, but finding time for real life, music and coding is more a challenge than it used to be. I don't know how some of you folk do all that you do, but I'm impressed!

I'm glad you enjoyed the song!

-- David Cuny

floyd jane #461976 03/13/18 10:19 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
This is truly an enjoyable listen!

Thanks, that's always nice to hear, especially coming from you!

I tried to keep the drums up in the mix, per your instructions. wink

Quote:
Excellent mix. Excellent song!

Thanks! I may tweak one or two things, but I'm pretty happy with it.

I wasn't sure about the telephone effect on a mostly "folk" sounding song (although the highly processed vocal isn't really very "folk"), but figured I may as well try something dramatic.

-- David Cuny

jannesan #461977 03/13/18 10:25 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Really enjoyable melodic pop song, somewhere between Oasis and George Harrison, very good selection of instruments, I like especially the drumming, 'Indie Folk' describes the song very well.

Thanks, Janne!

I actually started out with the drum this time, and built the track around that. I really like the sound of that kit.

Quote:
Nice chord changes, good lyrics and the message nicely crystallized in the ending section. Beautiful sounding vocals in the upper register.

But next time, I'll try to pay attention to what range I can actually sing in! crazy

Quote:
The ending trumpet leaves a delicious dreamy after-taste.

Yeah, there's a ton of saxophone in BiaB, but I wish there was more mellow trumpet... and more flute, too.

-- David Cuny

dcuny #462030 03/13/18 03:45 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Such a pretty song. I like that surprise telephone effect on the vocal. Sweet harmony, nice production touches and especially liked the chorus. Great job!

Sundance #462043 03/13/18 06:44 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Such a pretty song. I like that surprise telephone effect on the vocal. Sweet harmony, nice production touches and especially liked the chorus. Great job!

Thanks, Josie! smile

I had a co-worker listen to it, and he mentioned that parts of the vocal were "fuzzy", and might need to be re-recorded. It took a minute to figure out what he was talking about the telephone effect. laugh

-- David Cuny

dcuny #462096 03/14/18 04:23 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - this is a stunning tune, dcuny smile The emotion behind this is incredible. It is so captivating, simply put. Your vocal delivery almost forces you to pay attention to the lyrics. I particularly enjoyed the lo-fi effects and panning on the vocals at sections.

Great work, and thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
dcuny #462112 03/14/18 05:18 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This song has such a strong beginning, and has very poignant lyrics. I think you did a really awesome job with this particular tune.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
I particularly enjoyed the lo-fi effects and panning on the vocals at sections.

Thanks, Deryk.

I wanted something to indicate a transition from the "problem statement" in the first verse to the "solution" started in the pre-chorus, and it didn't seem clear the way it was written.

Also, I'd rewritten the lyric and re-sung the line louder and further from the microphone, and it stuck out like a sore thumb. I was too tired to re-record the line.

I figured the best solution would be to emphasize the difference instead of hiding it. wink

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195