Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Stories like this don't really affect us much because I doubt any of us are at this level but it sure sounds bad. It just reinforces what many of us have been saying for years. The money is in touring, not record sales and touring can really suck for lots of reasons.

One question I've been wondering about for a while now is what's the definition of an album "sale"? It used to be a physical record or CD, do they still mean that or is a sale considered a paid download of an entire album or what?

http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/03/13/record-sales-plunge-as-top-artists-justin-timberlake-u2-even-taylor-swift-sell-fractions-of-previous-numbers

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The best part of the article is where they said that Justin Bieber will not have any new "music" out in 2018. With quotations around the word "music".... Implying "If you can call that music..."

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
This article reflects that the public is not paying for commerical music that the likes of Nashville, Sony and other corporate giants are dishing out. Music created to a formula for sales only, nothing creativitely innovative or spectacular, but the same bottled format. But who cares as we're not in that league. Looking forward to where music is going in the future, where truly talented creative artists can express and do original music.

Last edited by Belladonna; 03/14/18 10:35 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I wonder how they factor into this thesis that we can now buy just the 2 songs we like from the CD for 99 cents each instead of 15 bucks for 2 good songs and 10 fillers? And everybody may like 2 different "good" songs from a collection. SO wile albums may not be selling, digital downloads give the consumer a la carte options that weren't available 12-15 years ago.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Meager as it may be, my revenue almost fully switched about four years ago from actual CD sales to download sales and streams.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That's very true Eddie and that concept has been touted as the great benefit of the current system. BUT...

How does that financially support the artists? Like it or not the "two good songs and 10 fillers" is what paid everybody for the last 75 years.

Now what do we have? You, me and most here are out of the business as a career but I'm certainly sympathetic to those who are in it and what's the future for them? Continually touring to make a living with no income from music sales is no way to live. Not that it's ever been easy but still, it seems like it's really getting beyond ridiculous.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi
Just wondering whats you guys advice on downloads and/or streaming.
I have a song done that I want to sell but am wondering whats ur experience,I dont have website so I want to put up a single song just as a trial more or less .Any advice is as usual very welcome.The song is mastered to varying lufs levels etc for youtube and I am in the process of getting a simple lyric video done
thanks Hugh

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I wonder why journalists continue to use phrases like “the only way to make money is touring”. They should say “one of the primary ways” rather than “only”.

Artists like Justin Timberlake should look for alternative ways to make money in the face of declining album revenue (which, lets face it, is a relatively easy way to make money for the artists), of which the hard work of touring is one but there are loads of others.

Independent artists are not scared to put in the hard work into things like Patreon, podcasting, youtube, cypto currency services, live streaming, licensing and many many more. A wake up call for these “top” artists for sure.

Edited to add: not to mention online courses. If little old me can get 100 people on my little course (with not much markerting) imagine how many people would sign up for a Taylor Swift online song writing course

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 03/14/18 06:34 PM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been a live musician all my life. I've done some 'sax for hire' studio work, and have been in groups with local releases, but primarily I'm a live musician.

I've toured, done cruise ships, did house gigs, schlepped one-nighters, and so on. I've made a living, paid off the mortgage, taken vacations here and abroad, and lived a happy life so far.

Musicians have for all of history made their living playing live. In the early days of vinyl, the 78 and 45 RPM disks were primarily a promotion for the artists' live performances. Glenn Miller, The Dorsey Brothers, Artie Shaw, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, and their 'big band singers' didn't make money from their records, but they brought fans out to the shows. The money from recordings came very late for the folks in the big band era.

For a very, very short period of time, musicians made their money via recordings. Probably less than 1% of the total time that there have been musicians. Keep that in mind, making money from your recordings is the exception, not the rule, and that exception seems to be waning. The peak is over. Will it happen again? Who knows?

And for most, recording didn't make money for the artists, just the record company.

I was in a road band that was lucky enough to be the warm-up act for major stars in concert, Four Seasons, Association, Kingsmen, Shirelles, and quite a few others. After warming up for a few Motown acts, Berry Gordy took an interest in us.

At the time Motown had no white groups, and Bob Seger was making number 1 records on Detroit radio. Berry, who was a businessman, not a racist decided he needed a white group to compete.

Our manager hired entertainment lawyers to negotiate. They started at 4 cents a record, with so many guaranteed releases and a bunch of other terms this 19 year old kid didn't understand.

When the last offer came around, it was 2 cents a record. Out of the "2 cent per" royalties Motown was to take inflated recording costs, inflated promotional costs, and inflated distribution costs. They also wanted to control the publishing rights and take half the songwriting credits. And after all that they wanted us to change our name so that they could own the name, hire and fire whoever they wanted, and have 3 or 4 bands with the same name touring.

After all the expenses that Motown wanted to take out of our royalties, our management figured we would have to sell more than a million copies of our first LP just to end up not owing Motown any money. And in the late 60s a million copies from a new group was unheard of.

When our management tried to get better terms, they quit talking to us, and picked their second choice, The Sunliners with the Motown owned new name "Rare Earth".

The exorbitant fees for recording, distribution, plus publishing rights and other record company profits coupled with the low pennies per sale to the artist is the main reason why the vast majority of single artists and groups have been one-hit-wonders or one-CD-wonders. They became big stars for a while and never made enough to pay back the debt to the record company - who made a fortune on the recordings.

Want to do another record? You need to pay your back fees that your royalties didn't cover first. One-hit-wonder land.

But if you had a number one hit on Billboard, you got better gigs if you could work out a deal to keep your name and pay part of your live performance money to the record company.

Sure, there are the exceptions. If your first recording goes viral, you become an 'automatic' and can negotiate better terms for your next album. The 1% or so of the people that made hits got to do this and became megastars.

The rest of us make our living playing live, in front of an audience. That could be touring, or playing singles clubs, yacht/country clubs, cruise ships, show clubs, Elk's/Moose lodges, Nursing Homes or anything in-between.

Most of the money is not in touring, but all kinds of playing live in front of an appreciative audience, and other than a short period of time when recordings were king, it has been this way for all of history.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
How does that financially support the artists?

It doesn't "support" them, but it gives them SOME sales revenue. If the a la carte purchase option benefits anybody it benefits the consumer. In my case, as a notoriously cheap Slovenian, they can have my 2 song purchase or I won't buy. So from a 10 song CD offering, they can have 20% of a CD sale or 100% of nothing, because I am not buying 8 garbage tracks to get the 2 I want.

And let's not even open the can of worms that is pirating....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll be honest with you Hugh, get it out to as many stream sources as you can. CD Baby, Reverb Nation and whatever the rest of them are, but be realistic about it and expect little more than "friends and family" sales. Nobody knows who you are. Nobody is searching the internet hardly waiting for your next release.

There are a million of you out there who think they have the next White Christmas. There are hundreds of you on THIS forum!! If your song is that great, more power to you and good luck with it. Do you sing at the level of a Steve Perry or a Michael Buble (depending on your genre)? If the answer is no, shop it any way you can to people the world knows about already.

You could try sending it to college radio stations and hope for airplay there, and possibly someone connected to a major performer will hear it and contact you.

Do you gig? Play it live a few times and see how the crowd reaction is.

Just for perspective, I think I have written some GREAT songs. The problem is, nobody that matters has ever heard them, which in a way is a good thing, because I can keep living in my delusional state that I write great songs. grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One other thing to factor into this is that equation is that studio time used to run into hundreds of thousands for an album. Digital recording helped ease that pain. A bad patch can be punched in and fixed now rather than having to run the song all the way from the head if there was a flub. Labels used to front bands $250,000 or more to record the next album. That wasn't a gift, so the first $250,000 in sales paid for the studio time. Then the label ate the rest. The labels want the publishing rights, and half the writing royalties.

I saw an interview with Dolly Parton. When she wrote "I Will Always Love You" (which I hate, but that doesn't matter), she got a call from Col Tom Parker because Elvis wanted to do the song. Parker said that the usual deal with Elvis was that he got half the publishing. Dolly dug her heels in and said "Well we have a problem there. I keep my publishing or we have nothing to talk about." And Elvis never did the song.

Now many of, if not most of, the bands not in that rarefied air of major act, self publish. One less layer of lawyer involved that way. Most now also self record and self publish. Those recording budgets are LONG gone for lower tier acts. And the business, like most of the world, is more corrupt than ever.

I think it is Matt who is on Spotify or one of those stream services, and he may be willing to enlighten us, but the last thing I saw I think it was some ridiculous figure like .0004 cents per stream. THEY make a lot of money from sponsors, but THEY also keep most of it.

The musician has to be happy with patiently adding up nickels, dimes and quarters. Enough Xs and Ys can add up to a nice Z over time.

There is money to be made somewhere, but it is almost funny to read articles in different places where one says "You don't make any money on record sales anymore. You make money touring." And the next one says "You don't make money touring anymore. You make money on record sales." Another will say "There's lots of money to be made in merchandising." Those people really need to talk and get the story straight! The "you and me" level artists don't tour, don't sell records, and nobody wants a t-shirt or cap with my ugly mug on it, so merchandising is not the key.

Also remember that "money" is relative. $1000 means something very different to a millionaire than it doe to a guy living in a refrigerator box on the street. I remember seeing Joe Walsh say "You can't make any money in music anymore." Well Joe, maybe what is "any money" to YOU is very different than the rest of us. When the Eagles last played Cleveland, the cheap seats were $200 a ticket. They played Quicken Loans arena, which holds 21,000 for concerts. It was sold out. Even if ALL the seats were $200, that is $4,200,000 in ticket sales alone. And I am thinking a lot of people bought the $60 t-shirts. This from a has-been, hanger-on type act. And I don't even remember when their last new work was released!! I didn't (wouldn't) go, but I was told that there was a half dozen Henley tunes, a half dozen Walsh tunes, a couple from Tim Schmidt.... that's like half the show. So for that $200 people got half Eagles songs and the other half solo artist material.

So, which part of that triangle is the money coming from? Sales, touring, or merch?

Off-Topic
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi Eddie,
Thanks for the reply.What im looking to do is just to have a place to refer poeple too if they want the song.Dont sing dance or chew and I dont go with girls that do!lol Cd baby seems to be a good place where I can just put my song up and send people to for a download,My expectations are fairly low but id like to put it out there .Should I register the song before uploading or is it enough that its going to a recognised distributer like Cd Baby for the first time I wonder?
thanks Hugh

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Hugh2
Hi Eddie,
Thanks for the reply.What im looking to do is just to have a place to refer poeple too if they want the song.Dont sing dance or chew and I dont go with girls that do!lol Cd baby seems to be a good place where I can just put my song up and send people to for a download,My expectations are fairly low but id like to put it out there .Should I register the song before uploading or is it enough that its going to a recognised distributer like Cd Baby for the first time I wonder?
thanks Hugh

Hugh,

May I suggest you look at +++ SoundCloud +++ , +++ SoundClick +++ and +++ BandLab +++ then choose which one you like best. I'm a member of all three. Of the three I like SoundCloud the best. SoundCloud is easy to upload songs to, SoundCloud lets you upload wav files and has an attractive and easy to use player. SounClick has a much simpler user interface but seems to delete content without warning. BandLab is built around music collaboration so if you want to collaborate with others you can find others with the same interest you have.

If you want something more private, try +++ 4Shared.com +++ . 15 GBs of free cloud storage. You provide links to the people you want to hear your music. It uses a browser media player or people can select to download the music file.

Of all the choices I've listed I'd start with SoundCloud. It does what you want, is free and many people have heard of it. The bad news is it is losing money (so is SoundClick but it's no longer a major player like it use to be) so you can never tell when the site might close; but it hasn't so far.

CD Baby, Bandicamp and ReverbNation are structured more for supporting acts that sell music, merchandise and tour. There's just a lot of features you'll likely never use.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Hugh2
Should I register the song before uploading

What do you mean by register? Copyright? If so, do not upload it ANYWHERE until you do that. If you do, you will have a real tough time proving it was stolen if it ever becomes a hit.

Off-Topic
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi Jim,
Thanks Ive looked at soundcloud and someone said you can add a buy button to ur account is that right? h

Off-Topic
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi Bob,
Love ur story and the norton styles h

Off-Topic
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi Eddie,
yeah copyright where is the best place to send a song .I know technically its copyrighted when its made but as thats hard to prove ,what are the best steps to take?thanks in advance hugh

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hugh,

Where do you live? This Forum is an International community and the copyright law is not the same around the world.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi Keith ,Thanks for reply,
Im living in Ireland.I realize that the copyright law is different and I suppose thats what makes it difficult.I have been looking at this site and that appears to be what I want .What do you think?My only question which I emailed them was ,What happens if the artist singing the song is a demo singer as in my case,should I send in the song with me singing (trying)
https://www.songrite.eu/

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,552
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199