Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Dave R
Bob, see prior thread regarding Build 512 and WAS driver:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=457835#Post457835

I saw that thread Dave. The weird thing at least for me is I've never had these various issues concerning Win10 updates. The first thing I did was test Biab 512 and I'm on 513 now. It played perfectly using WAS, I had no delay before I heard sound. All I can say is I keep my systems rock stock, no registry hacks, no unknown programs get installed for kicks, none of that.

There are some good articles around the net about WAS including a nice one by Craig Anderton and one by a Cakewalk software engineer using it with Sonar. They say it's pretty good, no issues. There's no doubt everybody's systems are different with all kinds of outboard stuff and different drivers and all that. It's definitely hard to say what could be the problem.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
That's a good idea, Bob. I tried WAS driver in the initial stages of beta testing and had all kinds of trouble, but I haven't tried it since. I should.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
[quote=jazzmammal] ..... One advantage of Windows 7 was that you could pick and choose the Windows Updates, only installing those you wanted. They then killed that ability for users when they started issuing only monthly cumulative rollups for Windows 7 about a year ago.

Mentioned this several times before: I have windows update disabled in services, and got an (even paid) version now of (also free) 360 Total Security; it has a for me perfect ability of selecting only the necessary (security related) windows updates for win10. You'll find this under 'Tool Box', called 'patch up'. Generally 360TS makes occasional mistakes on heuristics, and these are easily reverted and marked as safe. No more than say (paid for) Bitdefender and Webroot, the ones i bought earlier. 'Patch Up' is the reason i moved to 360TS since a year ago.

Tip: Don't use 360's meager GlassWire embedded firewall BTW. If you want a Firewall (i disabled Windows Firewall too) i can recommend Privacyfirewall, free and very adaptable as Comodo's free firewall and Zonealarm free used to be about 3 years and more ago.

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
... A similar one is PCI Express, Link State Power Management. That should be set to OFF .... In general, don't let Microsoft do any 'management' of your power. And check these settings after each operating system update. They can get flipped.

Didn't know about PCI Express, thanks for the tip, as my USB for audio runs via a PCIe Freslogic USB bus ... -F

Journeyman
Journeyman
Another twist... I had a lot of the symptoms described until I stopped the startup load of google drive, one drive and iCloud. My pc also ran better.

Windows 10

...Deb

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DSM
Another twist... I had a lot of the symptoms described until I stopped the startup load of google drive, one drive and iCloud. My pc also ran better.

Windows 10

...Deb

But, Google is your friend. Oh wait, I go that the other way around. You are actually Google's friend grin .

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
Yep, disabling and removing those i did. I get the feel that MS reactivates those unwanted items after each update etc. Why i keep checking up. I frigging PAID for 3 Windows licenses, and why do they throw all this sh*t at me again and again. I want a basic Windows 10, just like Windows XP Lite was, i used in the past, no unnecessary frills there. Besides MS Office 2016 i bought recently and officially; kept crashing after a while with all of sorts of errors, including license numbers. Tried to call MS to suss it out on their end, and you get some (Indian?) rep telling you he wants full access to my PC via Team Viewer. My foot; threw the lot off, installed free Apache Staroffice now, does the job without any problems so far.

I don't need all this extra work, but one cannot do without it .... if you want to take the time instead of the earlier mentioned tools (OOSU10 and W10Privacy and one that kills Win10 spying: 'Destroy Windows 10 Spying_2.2.2):

Tuning tips:
tips 1
tips 2
For Fall Creators users:
tips 3

F

D
Dave R Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I'll try this again.

The graphic shown by Fiddletr2007, and the article posted by Kent, refer to power settings. There are the obvious ones for CPU percentage at minimum 100%, and not turning off the monitor or hard drive after a set time.

But the one fewer people seem to know about that can really fool you is the USB Settings, USB Selective Suspend. This should be set to DISABLE.

A similar one is PCI Express, Link State Power Management. That should be set to OFF.

In general, don't let Microsoft do any 'management' of your power.

And check these settings after each operating system update. They can get flipped.

Matt,

I'll try changing these two Power Management settings on the laptop as you suggested, and see what happens. Inasmuch as I am not getting the audio stutter problem on my Windows 10 (R3) desktop system with Build 512 using the internal Realtek audio hardware on the internal CPU bus, I'm thinking that there might still be a problem with the laptop-to-UR22MKii interface via the USB port. Steinberg did release a Firmware update in December to "fix" a data loss problem when a lot of MIDI data is being transmitted. Even though I have installed this update, maybe there is still a problem with their USB link.

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Dave,

I don't think that issue the firmware update addressed is relevant, as you're not transmitting MIDI to the UR22. Your MIDI signal is going to the Coyote WT, which sends audio to Band-in-a-Box's mixer, which routes that audio to your interface. Unless you're unchecking "Use VST/DXi Synth" and using the UR22's MIDI Output port to send MIDI to a hardware synth, it's not being used for MIDI at all.

Do you have stuttering when you use your internal soundcard on that same machine? If so, I'd say this likely has nothing to do with USB or the UR22.

Please try the UR22's MME driver, and also try using the internal soundcard with both MME and with ASIO (using ASIO4ALL). Let's see what happens in each case, that'll narrow things down.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Expert
Expert
PS, there's a new Yamaha-Steinberg USB driver out, v 1.10 if i recall right ... give it a try? F

Veteran
Veteran
But only if, as Kent points out, the USB device is being used at all.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
D
Dave R Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Kent,

Just did some more testing. I am using the UR22MKii as a MIDI Out interface to the Roland SC88 external hardware synth in addition to using the UR22MKii as an audio interface. I tried sending MIDI only songs thru the USB to the UR22MKii (i.e., no Realdrums or Realtracks being outputted), and after 30 minutes, there was audio stutter in the audio coming out of the SC88 synth. I did previously post that I also do get the audio stutter when using the internal Realtek sound hardware fed from the Forte Dxi software synth as well. So I am now suspecting something in the laptop itself.

After I heard the MIDI-only data stream audio stutter, I went into the Windows Event Viewer to see what messages might have been logged. At the exact time of the stutter, I found event messages saying the laptop wanted to go into sleep mode, and other messages saying the HP Comm Recovery Framework software has successfully stopped the PowerEvent. I do have the laptop power setting for the display to turn off when plugged in after 30 minutes. However, when the laptop is running and BIAB is streaming output, the laptop display doesn't look like it is turning off, but there may be some back-and-forth software going on in the laptop, which may be causing the hiccup.

I guess the next step to do is run the BIAB program again and specifically take note of the exact time when a stutter occurs, and then comb thru the Event Viewer to look for event records that may explain what is happening. If this due to one of the display or sleep timers expiring, I guess I'll have to crank up those settings and/or set them to "Never". Normally, the display will not turn off if there is activity on the system, but I'm thinking that activity might need to be actual input such as mouse movement or key entry, and if BIAB is running when the display timer expires, there is something in the HP software that overrides the display turnoff command, but this behind-the-scenes activity might cause the brief stutter that I'm experiencing every 25-30 minutes or so.

Stay tuned!

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Dave,

It sounds like the laptop wanting to go into sleep mode and being stopped the another program was likely related. Have you tried changing your power saver settings to have the monitor not turn off for two hours, to see what happens?

It's interesting that you got a stutter on the output of the SC88 as well. Am I correct in assuming that its audio output was routed through the UR22 before going to your speakers?

Also, do you get the stutters with MME?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

D
Dave R Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Kent,

So I changed the display timeout to 2 hours and the sleep setting to NEVER, when the laptop is plugged in to AC power. I also changed the HDD setting to not turn off for 120 minutes, and made sure the USB power settings are disabled per Matt's suggestions. I had previously changed the CPU power settings to 100% for both min and max states.

I ran the Jukebox for around 2 hours, and did not appear to hear any stutters, so at least for this test, the system behaved OK. I did not find any power-related system events logged into the Event Viewer during this 2 hour period that might be suspect.

It doesn't mean the issue is totally fixed (this is Windows remember), but I will continue to monitor the laptop's operation.

I found a good Windows 10 tweaking article online:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-10/

I think this comes from AVID talking about Protools.

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Dave,

Great. Glad to hear it, and thanks for the follow-up. It sounds like this was likely the issue the whole time, but let us know if the problem comes back.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

Veteran
Veteran
It would be fun, once you know for certain that it works, to change back one setting at a time and try to find out which one fixed it. But who has time?

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Kent,

I found a good Windows 10 tweaking article online:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-10/

I think this comes from AVID talking about Protools.

This was a post I made on the Cubase forum regarding using the above Sweetwater link. Worked like a charm!

"I did the step by step for Win 10. I did everything except Disable User Account Control.

All dropouts disappeared & my vst performance was improved by over 50%. Very happy camper now!"

Mike

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
Windows 10 pro 1709 16299.125
Intel core i7 6700k CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.01 GHz
16 gig memory
BIAB UltraPak version is 2023 (Latest)
Cubase pro 9
Expert
Expert
thanks for posting, most i already did, except the USB hub settings. F

a PS, it seems most USB audio interface makers are facing the current Windows 10 Polka, key of T-for Trouble BTW,
dancing hand in hand with the Graphics Ladies ... found RME just put out new drivers too, as Steinberg-Yamaha did.
Pity all of you now forced to be a wallflower with older non supported stuff.

D
Dave R Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
Hi Dave,

Great. Glad to hear it, and thanks for the follow-up. It sounds like this was likely the issue the whole time, but let us know if the problem comes back.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

OK. Ran another 2 hour test. Output did stutter once or twice during that 2 hour period. First stutter was around 45 minutes after starting the Jukebox, which was playing a MIDI with RealDrums song at the time (i.e., mixed output stream consisting of both MIDI and audio). I also got a small stutter about 30 minutes after that first one, while playing a MIDI-only song with heavy data output. At the instant of both stutters, I found absolutely no events logged in the Windows Event Viewer. So, I guess I've been able to reduce the problem but not entirely eliminate it.

My hardware configuration is as follows:

Laptop USB 3.0 port >>>>> UR22MKii MIDI OUT >>>>> SC88 MIDI IN

UR22MKii Audio Out >>>>> Line Mixer (inside SC88) >>>>> Speakers

So I use the Steinberg UR22MKii as both an audio and MIDI interface. I've got the very latest Steinberg 10.0 ASIO driver installed as well as the latest firmware update 1.04 for the UR22MKii. This firmware update was supposed to "fix" a known problem of data loss when a lot of data is sent down the USB interface to the UR22MKii. Maybe they still have a problem there!

The fact that I hear an audio glitch with a MIDI-only data stream suggests this might be the case. I could try driving the SC88 from a MIO 1 in/1 out MIDI interface that I have (as a test), but this will use up my one free USB port, as well as creating a jumble of cables coming out of the laptop. All this testing is getting tiresome. I guess I'll have to keep after Steinberg, since I think that is where the problem lies.

Expert
Expert
Wild shot: a thing you could try: I removed all Adobe Reader stuff, in favor of Foxit reader. Also editet mi host file so that all adobe traffic refers to my internal IP 127.0.0.1 address. Adobe seems to hamper firefox, and might be that with a (loaded?) browser some adobe plugin like flash etc interferes with your audio. I have flash still running, but if i watch some youtubes, some buffer gets filled up and a video won't start immediately, and i have to refresh the firefox page. This also takes some time to behave like that (video not loading). F

PS done some searching: You could PM Ed Doll at Steinberg through the forum, He posted recently on the U22 mk, settings and drivers, and with some types there were also hardware issues: Steinberg forum link. PM him directly if you need help, he's a nice guy, busy though, but through the help desk it takes ages ....

Veteran
Veteran
I have no idea if this is relevant or not but...I said earlier I keep my systems completely stock, no mods. I'm using Avast Premier for my AV. I've used Adobe like forever with zero issues.

Everybody (well, almost everybody) who have various audio DAW related problems seem to have lots of things going on with their PC's, they change things, mess with things. I don't do that. I'll install well known programs using the defaults and that's pretty much it. No mods, no changes.

The reason MS pushes the updates is because of security. Yes, people can get all paranoid and talk about MS spying and all that. Fine, whatever. I'm very involved in internet security at the office. It's mandatory all updates be done immediately. MS is trying to get as many users as possible running the current version so it cuts down on the propagation of all the bad crap floating around.

If a person is really concerned about all that then keep the music computer off the internet. Lots of people do that. Use two separate systems one for music, one for everything else. Then if these problems come up it's isolated without all these distractions about updates, Adobe, flash, Youtube and whatever else.

Just to give one example of how I do things, I use YT all the time, like daily. Anything I like I download using Firefox's Easy YouTube Downloader and watch them on Media Player Classic or VLC. Almost all of it is music related and there are constant audio/video sync issues playing them from YT itself but MPC has the ability to correct for that. Therefore I don't care about buffering issues. I'll listen long enough to determine if I like it then DL it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,750
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191