Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

This has got to ring a bell with all of us who were scared of thunder as a kid and
particularly with those of us who never grew out of it! Such a simple plot, but just
so very effective.

That for me, is what the song is all about, what makes it work so well.
The story, the concept, stays with you long after the music has faded away.

As for the rest - superbly professional in every respect. Only what we expect!

Cheers, ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
cool song... yep I could see Garth and a few others recording this back in the day....

It's all in who you know in that town.

Was this a remake or the original version..... ?

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
i'm praying for rain
in biblical proportions
let the skies open wide
let that storm raise some cain
weatherman says that it won't let up
god, let him be right for a change
conditions are right
i'm holding her tight
and i'm praying for rain

As a music friend would say, “that chorus is strong as a garlic milkshake!”

Janice’s first comment was how the intro guitar sounded like rain.

I’m so damn old I refuse to think of the 90’s as old school. It was a time for many great songs that hold their own today. And re a song like this, well, folks still have the same feelings...feelings that a great song like this can either help them through or offer them a glimpse of what others may be dealing with. They aren’t all out on the EDM dance floor smile

Mama Price was right and Garth ain’t gone.

This is a beautiful production and remarkably well performed.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow Floyd, that's a good one!! As Tom noted, that is a Hit!! Just a matter of the right person hearing it at the right time I guess! You have a catalog full of great songs and one day one of those will be very well known in my opinion! I appreciate the quality of work you present here! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd

Another pro track from your collection. Superior production.

SD

rsdean #462938 03/19/18 07:24 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

After 2 listens it just sticks in your head. Wonderful song writing - and as expected a great performance.
Love it.

Peter

Thanks, Peter...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

This is great! If you had not said 1992, I would have never guessed. It feels as though it could have been written yesterday - it's fresh and has a really tight rhythmic pulse.

Stellar production and one of your best vocals as well.

Bob

Bob - appreciate all of that... Thanks!

MarioD #463073 03/20/18 02:51 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Thanks for the great story Floyd.
Love the intro the verb reminded me of rain as you probably meant it to.
A real powerful pro ballad my friend. Thanks for sharing with us. Rob

Thanks, Rob. The effects on the guitar is actual a "Groove Delay" in Studio One (Professional). Not sure what version you have or what is included in each version, but if you have the Groove Delay, try it out on some stuff. It's a very cool tool and can open up some interesting ideas for sound - particularly guitar rhythms...

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: tommyad
I don’t care whether it’s 1992 or 2022, that’s a friggin hit! Expertly delivered with conviction and the processing on the guitars is unreal. I love the big compression on the snare and the kit sounds huge. One of my all time favorites from you and we all know there is a big ol pile of great ones to choose from. Wow and another wow after that, this one’s the Big Bang, Tom

I agree completely!

This is another keeper from Floyd.

Thanks, Mario...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RichMac

Hi Floyd.

Enjoy your stories and this is probably my favourite song of yours so far.
Everything just flows.
Two thumbs up.

Cheers.

Appreciate that, Richard..

User Showcase
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
Floyd,

I've been listening in to some great tunes on the Forum, but haven't commented in a while.

What can I say? Another well-crafted composition. I would agree that it probably wouldn't take much to update this to a more contemporary sound. Although I, for one, miss the old stuff.

But I guess classic country isn't coming back in the commercial establishment anytime soon.

Doesn't stop me from saying that I like this just as it is, though.

Thanks for giving us another one to enjoy!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Excellent!

Sounds like a hit to me, and doesn't sound dated at all.

Killer mix, man, those drums sound great!

Enjoyed reading the story behind it too.

...and I enjoyed reading your comments. Thanks, Dave!

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
As usual, the genuine article.
WSS

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, floyd

Very powerful vocals as ever!
The melody is very pop.
The tone of intro guitar is wonderful.
As many others said, this is a top level production.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Really great song Floyd. As you know, you shared this with me a while ago and I loved it then and I love it now.

How about we write a song that starts:

"You and me
behind the barn
storm clouds on the way..."

smile

Ah yes, I remember it well...

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - this is outstanding! It shows a very deep understanding of songwriting. It is the perfect level of sincere and perfectly catchy. I honestly don't think there is a thing that could be added to improve this tune. Not to mention - your vocal performance is absolutely outstanding. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the country classics radio station.

Truly great job - thanks for sharing smile

Thanks, Deryk, for those very nice comments...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,

I can see why Mama Price thought of Garth- the way the pent up emotion in the verse lyrics leads to the drama in the chorus...I can hear him singing this. Very, very good songwriting in any decade! Not strong enough for the big guys? Many would disagree.
Stunningly good vocal and production.
Thanks for including the backstory.

Robert

Thanks for that very nice "review", Robert...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Originally Posted By: tommyad
I don’t care whether it’s 1992 or 2022, that’s a friggin hit! Expertly delivered with conviction and the processing on the guitars is unreal. I love the big compression on the snare and the kit sounds huge. One of my all time favorites from you and we all know there is a big ol pile of great ones to choose from. Wow and another wow after that, this one’s the Big Bang, Tom

Exactly!!! I think you really sold this short in your description Floyd. It IS a killer song....cleverly crafted and holding a lot of heart! I particularly love:

conditions are right
i'm holding her tight
and i'm praying for rain

Tight, a bit of humor, and a big payoff. This should be a hit!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - big smiles generated from that one! smile smile smile smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved this right out of the gate. This sits right up there with the songs being played on the radio. With all the TV shows like the Voice and all the talent there is out there trying to make it, it just boggles the mind. So many good songs, players and singers and so few make a decent living..

Super lyric and backtrack and just an awesome vocal. Well done Floyd

Appreciate that, Scott.. thanks!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That first person who's in the biz at any level who really believes in you is one you never forget. I imagine Mama Price will always hold that special place in your memories. Enjoyed the story and the listen.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark K
My dad being a vegetable farmer would often be praying for rain, but not for the same reason. My mom and him did seem to be awful chummy if it did rain.

I especially like how you stop at the end of "and i'm praying for rain" (end of verse?) giving real emphasis to the next phrase "i'm praying for rain" (start of chorus?). Sorry, I never know what is considered the verse or chorus of a song.

Thanks for stopping in for a listen, Mark. Appreciate it. (you identified those parts just fine...)

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Another contribution where you continue to surprise which is typical of the quality delivery from you Floyd. However, not for a second any less than the quality we've come to enjoy every time you contribute.

This is a fantastic production. I would go out on a limb and state that those drums drive the delivery better than a dedicated studio team could have performed. Yes, this is a really fantastic. Those Nashville houses ought to be paying real close attention wink .

Trev - thanks for those nice thoughts... These days, it's nice just to have a place like this where a few people will give a listen and (perhaps) enjoy what we do...

ROG #464246 03/26/18 11:37 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd,

This has got to ring a bell with all of us who were scared of thunder as a kid and
particularly with those of us who never grew out of it! Such a simple plot, but just
so very effective.

That for me, is what the song is all about, what makes it work so well.
The story, the concept, stays with you long after the music has faded away.

As for the rest - superbly professional in every respect. Only what we expect!

Cheers, ROG.

Thanks for your thoughts, ROG...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
cool song... yep I could see Garth and a few others recording this back in the day....

Thanks for stopping in for a listen and for that, Herb.

Quote:
It's all in who you know in that town.

That is a simplistic and naïve proclamation of how things work in Nashville. And not really accurate - at all...

Quote:
Was this a remake or the original version..... ?

This is all done with RealTracks from BIAB - so, of course it is not the original version - RealTracks
did not exist 25 years ago. The song itself hasn't changed at all.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
i'm praying for rain
in biblical proportions
let the skies open wide
let that storm raise some cain
conditions are right
i'm holding her tight
and i'm praying for rain

As a music friend would say, “that chorus is strong as a garlic milkshake!”

Janice’s first comment was how the intro guitar sounded like rain.

I’m so damn old I refuse to think of the 90’s as old school. It was a time for many great songs that hold their own today. And re a song like this, well, folks still have the same feelings...feelings that a great song like this can either help them through or offer them a glimpse of what others may be dealing with. They aren’t all out on the EDM dance floor smile

Mama Price was right and Garth ain’t gone.

This is a beautiful production and remarkably well performed.

J&B

HA! "...and Garth ain't gone." Cracked me up. (Are you sure about that?).

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,578
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200