Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
New song....

written in a day... recorded the following day.

The band, is mostly BB/RT with a pair of tracks by me as a grunge undercurrent. Inspiration pulled from a few rock bands.

Nits you hear, comments, recommendations are welcome. Note: the vox are down intentionally as this is stadium, anthem rock.

LESSON TO LEARN

Thanks I'll post the tracks later if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/23/18 09:14 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Cool song Herb!! Great rock vibe. The solo guitar works perfectly (that a RT or you?). Nice job with the vocals. You certainly channeled your "inner rock dude" on this! Great job!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool song Herb!! Great rock vibe. The solo guitar works perfectly (that a RT or you?). Nice job with the vocals. You certainly channeled your "inner rock dude" on this! Great job!! Take care. Greg

the leads are RT but I had considered replacing parts of it.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is a great rocker for sure. Personally I would like to have the vocals more upfront as they are hard to hear with that excellent rockin' backing track. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #463750 03/23/18 09:15 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
This is a great rocker for sure. Personally I would like to have the vocals more upfront as they are hard to hear with that excellent rockin' backing track. YMMV

Thanks Mario. The vox are down that way intentionally. Rock tends to bury the vox in the mix a bit.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Let me introduce the band

On Bass, we have Craig Young (995) holding down the bottom line
On drums, we have some dude we picked up off the streets of LA.... he has that heavy LA rock style that we needed and he worked that session for a McDonalds happy meal.
On rhythm guitars we have Eric Borash (999) and Mark Matejka (996)
Laying down the lead guitars are three of the finest session players anywhere.... Brent Mason (2628), also Dave Cleveland (1530) and shredding it in fine fashion is Darin Favorite (393).
On the B3 Hammond Organ is Gene Rabbai (671)

and last, but certainly not least, is Kill Branch Creek studio's own Guitarhacker, aka Herb Hartley playing some of the grungiest solid rhythm tracks on planet earth. Also playing the intro and shredding it right there towards the end.

3 vox tracks.... all recorded uniquely. No melodyne was used on any of it..... we're hiding it all behind that massive wall of guitars.

And that....as they say, is the rest of the story.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I had a bit of a listen to Lesson To Learn as well as several other songs on your site. They were all really good. I see you call yourself "unsigned". Well I for one don't see how. Brilliant is what I think of your music.

My thoughts

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 03/23/18 04:07 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'll start with the obvious: excellent track. laugh

You're already addressed the fact that the vocal is "buried", but I'll suggest that there's a magical sweet spot for tracks like this, and you're not quite there. (If you suggest that I'm wrong, that's fine).

The only other nit is that the rocking solo that comes in twice is a bit harsh, given that everything else is sort of soaked in reverby goodness.

And those are minor nits. Fun listen!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool to see you "stretching" a bit.

A fairly solid Rock write. Some "meat" there. And there is a "catchiness" to it that works well.

A rock vocal should be "in the mix", yes, but this is a bit too far down - the solos are loud, so the low vocal seems "out of balance" in comparison.

Interesting to hear you "shred" - but I prefer your more melodic leads (which you do really well) - and I think they would have worked well here. (The opening solos and fills and the short solo at the end are all quite nice).

A good energy to the vocal - particularly towards the end...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well that woke me up! Sounds to me like you really had fun with this - that energy comes through with the untamed vocal and grungy backing. Not sure about the mix balance - I`d have to turn it up very loud to judge...or catch your stadium tour!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Powerful mix. Great write. The vocals were a little lost in the mix.
Excellent. Rob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a great sound and suits you really well Herb, especially when you cut loose at the end. Cool harmonies and guitar too. One of my favs of yours.

I think the vox volume is a little too low for this style. A little more volume and a little more verb on the vocal to set it back is more what I'm used to hearing and expected.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey.... I appreciate all the feedback... good advice coming in.

per the advice, I raised the vox and recorded a new guitar track.... deleted the other lead guitars so it's just me and Brent handling the lead.... I start and my lead fades into his.... I handle all the guitar from the last section.... the shredding part which is slightly more tame than the previous.

There's still 4 layered rhythm guitars.... 2 PG and 2 me. Levels are a tad lower on the guitar leads....

edit: after listening, the vox sounded slightly compressed so I reworked some levels and removed some plugs to try to clean it up a bit to allow it to set in the mix better.

thoughts?

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/26/18 06:15 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

This is a really cool, but what I am seeing on your channel is "Missing You" not "Lesson to Learn"--is that right?

Good song either way. Really enjoyed it.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This is a really cool, but what I am seeing on your channel is "Missing You" not "Lesson to Learn"--is that right?

Good song either way. Really enjoyed it.

try it again... the upload glitched.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Definitely stadium rock.

I thought of Bon Jovi, just before I passed out.

smile

You're a rocker.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Just had another listen. Vocal balance is much better, and the guitar solo fits in perfectly. Everything seems like it's in the right place, and nothing sticks out.

But... Now there seems to be a lot of high-frequency ringing in the mix, which is a bit fatiguing. Maybe it's just me, because you can't please everyone, can you? blush

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Herb !:))

I liked your rocker Herb !
Very solid in every aspect !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb, this is definitely a nice drivin' rock tune with a lot of good stuff going on! Guitar parts are really great with some super chord changes! I have a feeling you aren't done with this yet, But it's still really good to me! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a tune! I love the energy behind this one. It instantly makes me think of a classic rock tune from the late 70's/early 80's. I almost get a Guns n Roses vibe here too. Great vocals, great guitar work and a great groove.

Great work, and thanks so much for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195