Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is an interesting video from Graham of The Recording Revolution. Reading the comments there are a lot of differing opinions on his third point which is to put stuff out even if it is not perfect. I would love to hear your POV on this.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
One item he states is absolutely correct:

9:05
"You can't create polished amazing records or videos that are full blown production every day or every week or every month"

Yes. But ask yourself the question: 'Do you have to'?

After that, we lose the plot entirely:
9:13:
"So instead, you need to Embrace Imperfection". "Even your records or albums... just put it out there even if it's not perfect"

Huh??? Did I understand that correctly????

Apparently, quantity is paramount and quality really doesn't matter so much to Graham, so neither should it matter to you too.

Why do you have to do that? There's already too much low quality junk out there without needing to add anything more to the garbage pile. We don't need to be bombarded with more low quality junk, just because someone said it's OK.

What's wrong with striving to deliver the best you can?

That kind of 'near enough is OK' attitude is just absolute nonsense. Shame on the author for ever suggesting it. YMMV, but mine certainly doesn't.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I've watched Graham's videos before and they are usually very helpful. He brings up a great point in this one about having to constantly provide new content for your fan base. Especially with some of the social media algorithms you need to have new content for your followers to interact with on a regular basis or your stuff will get lost in the mix.

That being said... He is correct you can't put perfect stuff out all the time.

Now, I don't believe he is saying to put out just anything or a bunch of bad music but instead to get it as good as you can and then get it out there. Ive seen in previous videos from Graham where he says to get the mix as good as you can. Then take a day off and go back to listen again while taking notes of things that need to be fixed. Fix them and be done. Sure you may here other things afterwards that you may not be happy with but if you try to make it perfect you will never be finished and never get it out there for people to hear.

So in short, make the best music/content that you can and get it out there for people to hear even if it's not perfect.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Another point he make here that I feel is important to bring up in this conversation is that it is not just about creating music for fans anymore you have to create content. One of the biggest things on the internet today is video. Yes we are musicians and can create great music especially us here on this forum using BIAB, but maybe we are not as skilled at creating videos. Well dont let that hold you back from trying. Make a music video or a lyric video to go with your song and put it out there even if it isn't perfect.

I'm getting ready to make a few music videos soon. Maybe I'll do a tutorial with it of how to make a music video and post it here in the forums. Who would be interested in seeing this kind of stuff?

Last edited by Samuel Davis; 03/25/18 03:08 AM.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with this 100%. You can get way too OCD about music and start making it sound TOO polished where it will turn people off. It needs to sound sincere--real.

Also, it will freeze your artistic impulse if you worry about stuff too much, or how you might think people will react. Just let it flow. Get it out. Learn and grow.

The only people who want you to stop and spend $19,000 on your albums are people who own studios. And they HATE Band in a Box. smile And they will be more than happy to tell you so.

There are a few simple things I have learned about not mastering your music too loud I shared on another thread on "Music Making it to Music Supervisors" but the bares bones of making your music ready for the industry are simple. Less is more.

I have put out about 5 albums in the past two years. Would I remix a lot of the stuff now? Of course. Do I care? No.

Why?

Because if I had not written those songs and put them out I would not have written the 40 or so songs I have written over the past two months, 20 of which have gone to music supervisors in the past week.

Just be yourself, have fun, have a blast in fact, keep cranking, and follow the basics. Keep it simple and don't use too many presets that will make it a brick and you will be cool.

smile

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
David you have such a talent at writing, singing, playing and producing good songs, and you have the same talent at giving good advice and interpretations to the various methods of presenting songs. Your comments are songs themselves.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
I have put out about 5 albums in the past two years. Would I remix a lot of the stuff now? Of course. Do I care? No.

Here's where I will toss my monkey wrench in and see if you would add a caveat.

How about if going back and remixing those 5 albums would result in 10,000 more units sold per album? Would you do it then?

This video from Graham was his concept personified. He cares more about how many videos he puts out that how clearly and concisely he expresses himself and communicates his point. Why? Because like all of these "youtube is how I make money" people, all that matters is views.

Remember one thing about him. He came up in the 90s. Video was already kind. The world was online. By the time he started working in music, I was over 40. He is from the culture that says "I will toss out these videos and my followers will watch them and youtube will give me money. And I sat at a desk in my office the whole time. It has to be better than a job, right?" kind of people.

Also of note is that he has never produced anybody you have ever heard of. He records a lot of Christian bands that do nothing more than play in their church and want someone to record THE song that they wrote.

There was a video he did a long time back refuting the merits of analog summing, saying "You can make just as good a mix without it." When pressed further he admitted he had never tried it. I suspect that the point of that piece was to stress that you can be cheap and not have to buy any outboard gear. I myself stay with digital summing (everything done in the DAW) for that reason. I am so tight I squeak. The point of this paragraph is that a statement like he made, about something he has never tried, is the same as "This is the right way because it's how I do it."

As far as "more" vs "good", I disagree. One local guy here put out a Cd with 5 songs on it. And 5 months later he out out another with 5 more. Why not wait and put out all 10? Why pay twice for duplication and art work? We had a good laugh when he emailed me "Hey. Buy my new CD." and I emailed back "You didn't put out a CD. You put out a sampler that is little more than your band jamming between serious recording sessions." I want to hear professional, polished, perfect....

Now, to argue with myself about that point, say this. If your perception is that you will lose people if you don't give them a song a month so you put out demos so they can hear the new songs, fine. But don't put those demos out as is when you actually release the CD. A demo is exactly that, a demonstration recording of what the finished product will sound like after you "really" record it.

I remember when Springsteen put out one of his cookie cutter albums (I think it was Nebraska) and everybody jumped on the cliche bandwagon and told me how "cool" it was that he did the whole thing on 4 track. And my reply was "And it sounds like it. It's apiece of crap." That never sits well with the "cultist" level fans who would buy his stuff if it contained flatulence during the quiet passages, but it's the truth. I like The Boss when he was a musician. As soon as he decided to become a poet he lost me. There's already been a Bob Dylan. Leave it alone.

So to sum up, I disagree with Graham on this one but this attitude toward music as a business is the result of him being born in the internet world. He is 2 generations after the baby boomers and the first version of a millennial who expects the world to hand him a living for very little effort. Blog posts, 5 minute videos.... that is worth $750,000 a year? And remember, he has no high profile performers on his production resume. It's just a different world now.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
All very interesting observations. Keep them coming. It is so enlightening hearing everyone's differing opinions.

I read a Michael Cain biography a while back and was astounded to learn just how prolific this guy is and even more astounded to read about the quantity of really crummy movies that he has been a part of. His logic for choosing these roles was purely money based and when he was questioned whether he worried about appearing in all these rubbish movies and whether it would tarnish his reputation as a brilliant actor, he said that why would he worry because "nobody would see the bad ones".

You never really know what is going to work and what is not but if you never put anything out then you will never know.

I have never listened to Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska" but I sure have heck heard "Born to Run" and I think he is brilliant...

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 03/25/18 06:24 AM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Off-Topic
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
For his generation it is probably about right. The big users of the media and net are all in a hurry to be able to show their friends something new. And all the tech and kit is available to keep up that kind of lifestyle enhancing music.

Social media already has people believing they are a brand bolstered human.

Maybe such listeners don't demand HiFi, listening to music via a phone speaker.

So it sounds like a generational yawp.

Using: Dell 3268 i3, 8 GB ram, windows 10. Biab version 2017 standard package, no extras.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
I have never listened to Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska" but I sure have heck heard "Born to Run" and I think he is brilliant...

I think he WAS brilliant, Joanne. Up to "The River" he wrote much better than he has since. Of course this is just my opinion, but he started to write "I need to sell some units" songs and everything kind of blended into "the gray" for me. I think Clarence Clemons was way overrated and had he played with anybody but Springsteen he would be just another decent sax player who had one tone and no finesse. Same for Nils Lofgren and Steve Van Zandt. Neither of them are particularly hot guitar players, but they played with Springsteen, so they MUST be good.

Many people tend to take their admiration for artists to a level where ANYTHING they do is automatically great. I am not like that. I know people who have "their band" and everybody else is hackneyed amateurs in their mind. Whether it is Springsteen, Genesis, Queen, Meatloaf... that cultist level fan believes their hero can do no wrong. My criteria is that if they have more songs that I DO like than songs I DON'T like, they are okay with me.

And this is kind of on topic because of my opinion that Springsteen turned out quantity without regard for quality knowing that the sheep level fans will buy whatever he puts out.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sure Eddie,

If I thought it would be worth 100,000 more units sold who wouldn't?

I think the point I agree with is don't be blocked by fear and just forge ahead and keep writing fearlessly and put stuff out. Do the BEST YOU CAN but don't be afraid. Don't be timid. Stay away from critics. There are so many critics out there who can't play a d..... thing. Who needs 'em? There are so many song evaluations that are pure crap. Who needs 'em? I am on the side of the brave is all I am saying. Did Bob Dylan give a flyin' flip about what anyone thought of his voice? No, he just did it. So any fool would remix an album if they thought it would sell more. I think the point is don't suffer from paralysis by analysis. Don't be afraid of what people might say. Just create for God's sake and get the train rolling. If you want to remix later then do it, fine. But keep moving. Do the best you can in the moment and keep moving. Isn't that the frickin' point here?

I wonder if anyone has any idea how many BAD songs the Beatles wrong. There are HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of them.

What you hear is the good stuff.

Keep moving.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
I wonder if anyone has any idea how many BAD songs the Beatles wrote. There are HUNDREDS of not THOUSANDS of them.

All valid points there Mr Snyder!

The Beatles reference made me smile because the other side of that sword is I wonder how many people are aware of the volume of songs Lennon and McCartney wrote that bands other than the Beatles recorded. There are a lot of them that people like you and me may know about but not the average listener because the composer's name is in tiny print under the song title. Peter and Gordon may not have even had a career without Lennon and McCartney, and that happened because of Peter Asher's sister and her involvement with McCartney.

Badfinger, Billy J Kramer, Gerry and the Pacemakers.... Likely be unknown names had they not recorded L&M songs. The list is staggering.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A few random thoughts...

It begs the question of what the hell is perfect?

Maybe it’s something like David alluded to with all the soul polished out. Or maybe “perfection” is never a collective perspective - to greater and lesser degrees it’s different in the minds of the evaluators.

For some vocal perfection seems to be perfect notes that follow the bouncing ball but for others it’s bending the notes all over the place.

As I’ve said to often mixing is never finished just abandoned.

Perhaps this is why my favorite albums tend toward live recordings.

Ole phart two cents worth.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

And to Eddie's point about the Beatles and Springsteen, let me go back to Robert Zimmerman again for a moment.

If he had not gone out there with his nasal voice and mediocre guitar skills, there would be no:

Bruce Springsteen
Tom Petty
Neil Young
Joni Mitchell
Robbie Robertson
Rickie Lee Jones
........ x 1,000,000

The list is staggering. Feel free to add it it. Without him all we would have had is Beatles clones and Elvis clones.

My favorite moment in radio hands down is when the album "Infidels" came out during the heyday of Duran Duran and Boy George.

The announcer said:

"Well, Bob Dylan has a new album out, and it's pretty obvious that he has been totally oblivious to what's been happening in music the past 10 years. But that's why I love him."

And he dropped the needle:

Standing on the water
casting your bread
while the eyes of the idol
with the iron head
are glowing
Distant ships sailing
into the mist
you were born with a snake in both of your fists
while a hurricane was blowing.."

Yeah that's why I love him too.

smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Eddie, I think you nailed it when you suggested it's all really about exposure for the YouTube presenter. Make plenty of YT videos that people will subscribe to. Clearly the content of some of these videos 'embraces imperfection'.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm down with David regarding Dylan as an example of the power of not so perfect. I remember the exact moment I first heard him in a college dorm in 1964 and he's been part of my musical journey ever since. And Janice's but not so long as she was seven years old in 1964 smile

Bud

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I think if you look at it from the perspective of practice, it's a good idea. This is true with any art form, whether it's writing, drawing, painting, sculpting, making music, etc. So long as you are working on something, you're working towards honing your craft.

I don't know about you guys, but for me personally I spend probably about 90% of my year with artist block. If I didn't push myself to finish every piece, I often times wonder what I would finish.

Even if you don't like something, finish it. Even if it's not what you expected it to be, or if it's not perfect to you, or doesn't entirely match what you had envisioned -- finish it.

Mix and master it if you want to, or don't. You can use it as a learning tool for yourself moving forward. You grow with each piece you create, so why stop that growth just because the song isn't your best?

It's ultimately up to you if you decide to put one of those pieces on an album, or release it to the public, but you should always finish your projects, no matter how hard or how much you dislike them in that moment.

Fighting through those moments is what helps me break through my artist block, and then the inspiration just keeps on flowing.

It has its merits, for sure.

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ember hit the nail on the head and drove it home. Publish something is better than publishing nothing. At least it's progress.

Look at my SoundCloud or SoundClick accounts, nothing new for a loooooong time. It's not writer's block because I mostly do covers. But lately it has been difficult for me to get anything finished. Lots of works in progress but nothing's progressing.

Sometimes you need to push yourself by creating deadlines or better yet have someone interested enough in your work that they will push you to complete it. 'Git 'er done before you get done.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Although I'm not a great fan of quantity over quality it all comes down to your personal talents and possibilities. For some folk things are just right, others will turn their noses up at it. If all were perfect, there would have been no rock and roll, no blues, no folk and definitely no punk, only classical music.
You can go overboard looking for the perfect track, I have ruined more songs trying to meet the standards set by the pros than I care to remember.
Just like the patina on an old guitar, it's the imperfections that bring it to life. As Leonard Cohen so aptly put, "There are cracks in everything, that's how the light gets in."

Chris
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The reference to Bob Dylan is a good one! Certainly his voice and guitar playing is not great and he put out some stuff that I would consider half baked in terms of today's standards.

Blowin' in the wind reportedly took 10 minutes to write (the melody is lifted straight from a public domain song). Dylan went straight out and performed the song at a local folk club but bungled up all the lyrics because he couldn't read his own hand writing. The point is that you never really know what is going to take off and what isn't. And if it doesn't take off then so what? Nobody is likely to hear it anyway.

If you produce stuff to the very best of your ability at the time and continue to learn then I think you will win by continually producing and publishing, producing and publishing.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195