Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
R
Ralof Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have used Band in a Box for a long time and changed the computers many times. Upgraded many times.

Problem 1: When I upgrade - what exactly do I need to download?
Here is also a confusing thing - I have 2016 EverythingPak, should I then upgrade to 2017 EverythingPak? That would be the logical answer, same for same, but it seems that if I have bought 2016 EverythingPak and upgrades the same product, I get the same Everything again and I pay for it again.

You should make that clearer.

Problem 2: So I download it all because my old computer got pocked by pickers.
57 files, if I counted them correctly. Then I start:

1. click to mount
2. Click to open the DMG
3. Click the .pkg
4. click 'Continue' in the new dialog
5. click 'Continue' again
6. click 'Continue' again
7. click 'I agree'
8. click 'Install'
9. Enter my password <= AAAARGH! 57 times!!!
10. wait
11. click "Close"
12. Unmount the DMG

Then I repeat that 56 times

After I finish, hours later, I hope that I installed everything, that I did not accidentally skip some great style that I can identify with, so I try to look in the Applications folder, but of course they are spread out and the numbering does not match the DMG's so instead I just give up and work with what I've got, unable to ditch the feeling that the style I really wanted, the bass I am looking for, was left uninstalled.

I suggest three things, that can be either, or or both

1. Chained install, that a DMG looks for the next one and continues automatically
2. Much bigger DMG's put 10 in one
3. In program listing of what I have not installed, basically a list of everything you have to offer and checkmarks for what I have. That would be good also for sales

Another solution would be "on demand" install, when I choose that I just have the basic programs and stubs for all the styles and stuff. When I want to use them, they are being downloaded and installed. This would be by far the best option for all of us because then we only fill our machines with what we use and from your side, you do not have to serve us downloaders with more than what we need. The load on you servers would also be more evenly distributed.

BiB is great, but this download/install thing has annoyed me many times and I felt it was time to speak up.

Last edited by Ralof; 02/28/18 06:26 AM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Ralof,

You have some good points. However, I will point out that there are only about 20 files total, and the dmg's are pretty large, so one thing I would want to look at is how you are downloading. (I'm not arguing that 100 GB of files is a quick and easy download and that it can't be improved).

With regards to 2016 -> 2017 upgrade, if you had the 2016 EverythingPAK, then the 2017 PlusPAK is a good option if you are downloading and don't need the entire 2017 EP on a new hard drive. This gives you all of the new RealTracks material etc.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
R
Ralof Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Hello Ralof,

You have some good points. However, I will point out that there are only about 20 files total

20 files? I have 57 listed

[ Internet Order # 29XXXX, 8 files ]
[ Internet Order # 23XXXX, 7 files ]
[ Internet Order # 23XXXX, 40 files ]

So I was wrong when I said 57, there's only 55

Quote:

... and the dmg's are pretty large, so one thing I would want to look at is how you are downloading. (I'm not arguing that 100 GB of files is a quick and easy download and that it can't be improved).

Quote:

With regards to 2016 -> 2017 upgrade, if you had the 2016 EverythingPAK, then the 2017 PlusPAK is a good option if you are downloading and don't need the entire 2017 EP on a new hard drive. This gives you all of the new RealTracks material etc.

Maybe you see the possible confusion there? You write "the 2017 PlusPAK is a good option if you are downloading and don't need the entire 2017 EP on a new hard drive"

I want the entire EP on my harddrive, but is the 2017 EP different from my 2015 EP? Apart from the PlusPAK? These are things you ponder when you sit with the finger on the trigger. If had gone for the EP, I would have paid for what I already own.

But you should really make some kind of in-system download manager. Just have the demos in and mark the styles we have already downloaded while we at the same time can see and check out the ones we have not. If the one we want is not what we own, then we can buy it. More money for you, because we all know that if *that* style is what makes our song take off, we'll buy it smile

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi,

If you already have your 2016 EverythingPAK installed (or a 2015 EverythingPAK and 2016 PlusPAK, which has the same content), then all you need to install is the 2017 PlusPAK (7 files).

If this is installed on top of the 2016 EverythingPAK, then you end up with the same content as someone who's purchased a 2017 EverythingPAK, you just don't have to pay for, download, and reinstall all the RealTracks you already own from the previous version.

Does this help?

Thanks
Kent
PG Misc

R
Ralof Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yes, or no, I did eventually, before I posted here, figured out that I did not need the EP. My point was that it is far from clear on buy/upgrade page

Look at this:
First time purchase:
Pro $129
EP: $569
PlusPAK not available

2017 PlusPAK:
-not listed as Upgrade

Upgrade from 2016:
Pro: $69
EP: $379

Here's thing: When do I buy the $379 EP upgrade? If I did not have it before, then it is a first time purchase and that is $569. And if I had it... well, then I have it already, don't I?

In any case, since the computer I had the old version on is not more, I do have to download all of it. Install all of it. Open 55 DMG, click "Continue" 165 times, type my password 55 times and eject DMG's 55 times.
When I'm done I can only hope I got them all because, from what I can see, the program cannot tell me what I haven't got.

An in-program download, including purchase the new stuff, would also allow you to quickly release styles one by one as soon as you are ready with them. Please consider it.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, agree with most of what you are saying. To answer some of the questions
- the 40 files was likely from before we consolidated the downloads.
- The EP upgrade is from any 2016 package.
- To confirm you have all the RT, open the RT Picker and check the box 'show n/a'. If there are no n/a then you have them all.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
R
Ralof Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks. Seems like I am missing everything from Xtra PAK. I should have it I guess? You also say "the 40 files was likely from before we consolidated the downloads," but, well, on my "My Products" page I have them 40, no consolidated files.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The Xtra Styles PAKs are an additional purchase, as they're not included in any Band-in-a-Box package. I believe you've been purchasing PlusPAK upgrades, so you would not have these.

If you're interested in adding these to your collection, they're available here: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Callie
Marketing Representative
PG Music Inc.
R
Ralof Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yes, I found the Xtra, but I'm curious about this:
Quote:
- the 40 files was likely from before we consolidated the downloads.

As I said - I have 40 files in my original EP, on my PG Music download page. Any way for me to get them consolidated? I doubt this was the last time I went through the install process. It sure was not the first...

Last edited by Ralof; 03/06/18 08:49 AM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I've taken a look at your Account with us (from your shopping cart) and updated your installation links to reflect a 2017 EverythingPAK (since that's what your Upgrade history indicates you own now) - so you'll see a shorter list of files to download.

Callie
Marketing Representative
PG Music Inc.
R
Ralof Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks a lot! That will save me many hours on the next install smile

J
J
Reading this thread... Is it possible to install BIAB directly to an external drive if I've used the download option? Or do I have to purchase the HD?

It looks (on the Windows posts) that they have to first install it on C: and then move it to another drive.

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi JazzmanRP,

You should be able to install to any drive you like from downloads, but if you live in North America and are getting an UltraPlusPAK or higher, I'd highly recommend just ordering the hard drive.

It only costs an extra $15 (for shipping), and you just have to run one installer and wait an hour for it to finish. Downloading Ultra or EverythingPAKs makes sense if you live overseas and want to avoid expensive import fees, but not so much for Canadians or Americans who'd only save $15.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Expert
Expert
Hey Jazzman,
Like Kent said, if it makes economic sense to have a copy shipped to you then that would be the quickest and easiest way to go.

But, if you do choose the download option from PG Music for the Mac version, what you are actually downloading are .dmg disk image files.

What I do, is every time a new version of BIAB comes out, I get about 5 or 6 blank DVD's and download the all disk image files form PG Music .

Then I use Apple's "Disk Utility app" to burn each of those .dmg file downloads to a DVD.
Sure it does take more time that way, but at least then I have a full set of factory install disks, same as you would get if they were shipped to you on DVD.

Then I can install on any drive I want, or re-install if I want to change drives or if something goes south on my computer.
Hopefully this helps.

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
Expert
Expert
It's not that complicated. You have to install the application and supporting files into Applications. Real Tracks/Real Drums, however, can be installed onto a different drive. You have to set the path in Real Tracks Settings and Real Drums Settings under the Windows drop-down menu when you're done.

Only those of us with the Audiophile versions of BIAB need the drive shipped. Those tracks are not available for download (but I wish they were).

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195