Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#465443 04/04/18 03:15 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Sonar Platinum is free.

Yup, Bandlab has picked up Sonar Platinum and is making it free to everyone who sets up an account.

https://www.bandlab.com/download/assistant/windows

https://www.bandlab.com/download/assistant/mac

If you've ever wanted a top of the line, full featured DAW, completely unlocked and totally legit version..... check this out.

I can not vouch for anything other than.... I use Sonar and love it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the info Herb.

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Herb. As a fellow SONAR user, I've also been following the changes from the demise of Cakewalk under Gibson and the emergence of a new buyer, Bandlab.

I thought I read that the free version was for the basic version of SONAR. I need to go to your link and see if that's wrong. I hope I'm wrong - if it's for Platinum (their top-of-the-line), what an amazing gift this would be!

EDIT: it says it is Platinum. Amazing. Everyone shouls see the other thread here on this, with the news release: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=465459#Post465459

I should point out that the Mac version of SONAR never really panned out. It worked but was never supported and the project was dropped by Cakewalk long before they folded. Use it with caution. The Windows version, however, has long been regarded as one of the finest DAW programs.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 04/04/18 05:54 AM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It should be noted Win 7 or higher is required to run it.

Unfortunately my DAW is XP Pro..... and running rock solid so I am loathe to change the OS just to run SPLAT when I already have Sonar X1 loaded and running extremely well with all my plugs..... so..... I might DL it to a memory stick and load it to my storage drive and when I am forced for one reason or another to upgrade the OS, I have SPLAT ready to install.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
I always liked 8.5, but after fighting with it learned to like X1. Lots of users found faults in X1 and more so in X2, but I thought X3 was pretty good. The final state of Platinum, though, was really excellent. You’re going to have to bite the bullet and move on from XP sometime.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Seems to be without the plugins maybe that's where cost occurs, Still be decent I wont complain if they maintain it for future use.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Veteran
Veteran
Fewer and fewer vendors support XP because it is no longer supported by Microsoft and because mist everything is going to 64-bit (XP 64-bit had a whole host of issues that want worth working through).

My Windows 10 machines work pretty well, but I've found my Windows 7 laptop to be pretty rock solid at the OS level. Of course Windows 7 loses support in early 2020.

Unless your machine really is too slow, I would take an image of XP (so you can go back if you need to) and upgrade to 10 and try it out.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Expert
Expert
Seems to be without the plugins maybe that's where cost occurs, Still be decent I wont complain if they maintain it for future use.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Below is from the Cakewalk forum, posted by user BJZ:

As of now install of Cakewalk by Bandlab (as installed on 'virgin' computer):

1. Loses Melodyne, AD2, BlueTubes
2. Keeps Boost11, Sonitus suite, TTS-1, Groove Player, TH3, Studio Instrument Suite
3. Keeps PC modules Breverb2, Console Emulator, PC4K, PC76, Rematrix Solo, Softube Sat, Tape Emulater, Tape Sat. FX Chain and Style Dial
4. Keeps CW's Vocal Sync

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Veteran
Veteran
Well unfortunately my windows 7 is 32 bit so after I download the assistant and run it, it crashes suddenly due to the fact I think that Splat is only for 64 bit systems.

Would have liked to have downloaded it, so as to keep for the future when I get around to a 64 bit system.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
+++ Sound-On-Sound Announcement +++ . 64 bit only. Windows 7 or higher.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
jford #465609 04/04/18 05:22 PM
Veteran
Veteran
John

Since you installed it on a virgin computer, did you install on C:\ or elsewhere?

Reason I'm interested is to see if the "new" team is still putting remnants (i.e., crap) all over the C:\ drive even when the install is told to install elsewhere.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Larry -

Sorry, that wasn't my install. That was a user on the Sonar forum in response to the same question about what you get and what you don't get.

I did read, however, that it didn't give you options about "where" to install, and that was prevalent throughout the thread, so my guess is, yes it still sprays everything about.

On my install, it did leave/update the Sonar related content (not the program itself) on my existing E: drive (which is where I told Sonar Platinum to install), so it picked that information up. It does ask you if you want to preserve your previous settings.

John

jford #465669 04/05/18 07:27 AM
Veteran
Veteran
John

Thanks

yea with that, I did install the Band Lab (for about 5 minutes) app that then installs Cakewalk. But I am NOT a fan of this kind of blind install app and the fact it inserts itself not in the Start Up where you can disable it (i.e., ctrl-alt-del -> task manger - > start up) but in the Registry under HKEY user

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

so you have to hack the registry to make it a user MANUAL start. At least I didn't; see any settings in the Band Lab App that allowed you to disable it at startup

so I don't; even have it installed since when its running you are also in touch with Band lab site, nothing nefarious I just don't want the overhead or the connection when I enable network access

The fact that SONAR, which is a very, VERY, capable DAW, is free with the above caveats (no control on install and that nuisance Band Lab Assistant app) should make make new users on a tight budget very happy (and old users like me folks wonder what did I spend thousands on it over the years - LOL)

Good luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
what did I spend thousands on it over the years

Well, I know that since I've built many of my computers, I've spent a lot on Windows upgrades over the years, and then Windows 10 comes along for free (and you can still get it for free if you have special needs). Windows 7 Pro was not cheap, nor was Windows 8 (at least 8.1 was a free upgrade from 8, but not from 7).

I could have save a little with the "home" editions, but I want more control over my machine than that.

But as they say, free is my favorite price (although in the end TANSTAAFL).

John

jford #465845 04/06/18 04:15 PM
Veteran
Veteran

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Loaded up one of the demo songs. Ugh, what a mess of a GUI! I’ve been using Tracktion for so long that just about any other DAW interface looks cluttered. Tracktion, with its signal flow centric, ‘modeless’ UI just matches my brain wiring. But I will give Cakewalk another go just to get access to the notation and tablature functions, if it doesn’t first drive me nuts

Veteran
Veteran

Larry,

I tried to do an uninstall for Bandlab assistant in order to try and reinstall and it kept popping up. I did a manual easter egg hunt search to root it out and found at least 8 other places where executables and folders were stored, in numerous folders in app data, local, roaming and local low too I believe. Also in program files and another location I am forgetting off the top of my head.

Is it necessary to have a Bandlab assistant folder in every directory in your computer???

Am I missing something here??

I think they are all gone now.

I will wait a few months on this one now.

Veteran
Veteran
Thx

thanks exactly what Sonar has been doing since the version that came out to work with Win Vista (so about sonar version 6?) it's a sloppy mess - no need for it.

But, to be fair, given the quick turn for Band Labs acquiring CW to this "release" I didn't expect them to waste time on cleaning up install code or doing anything major or radical.

But the fact that brought some of the same people over that caused this mess in first place - means it will never get better and probably only worse. Yes, this has (currently) virtually no "use" impact, and for 99.% of users this is "under the hood" stuff they don't care about

Larry

Veteran
Veteran

Larry,

Yes but...

Unless you open task manager and see 20 instances of power shell running using up more memory than a small rodent should be consuming.

Crazy man.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,459
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195