Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
Please let me know what you think...I AM looking for feedback here...

So I have had BB since 2015 and use it as a tool in my recording studio to create everything from bed tracks for songs that i am working on for myself and my clients right to using it to create every track for whole albums.

One of the things that my client brought up last night was why I use BB to create the basic bed tracks then port them over to RB to add instruments to the song.

He said why don't you just RB and bypass BB as RB has some abilities that BB does not like the ability to have real time effects when recording vocal etc...

I seemed to recall that using BB to create your beds or flesh out your songs arrangement was what was "recommended" by either PG Music or someone I was talking to at PG Music...not an employee....a customer.

It seemed that after some quick checking that there doesn't seem to be a real reason to use BB to do the bed tracks as RB can do everything BB can do plus more. It may seem a bit more cumbersome to do some of the things but all of the functionality seems to be very much overlapping between the two pieces of software.

So what are YOUR thoughts about BB and RB?

Are they 2 pieces of software that do nearly the same thing?

How do you use them?...Together as I stated above...or separately?

I'm curious to hear what people have to say...

Thanks

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tony,

A number of people on here use RB exclusively for building arrangements without BIAB involved in the process anywhere. The arrangements that they produce are first class.

I'm one of those who begin in BB and, as soon as I have all my chords and melody working (if my song has a notated melody, that is), and I have found a suitable collection of instruments and drums that sound good, I usually jump to RB.

My reason for using BIAB first is that BIAB begins playback not too long after the generate button is clicked. This allows me to quickly hear how tracks sound. This is because BIAB begins playback before generation is complete and continues to generate the tracks in the background while playback is underway.

RB, on the other hand, requires that tracks are fully generated before playback can occur. This makes it a little slower -- especially when more than a single track is involved.

In the early stages of song creation, BIAB saves me a little bit of time.

Sometimes, because of new features in recent versions of BIAB, I'm now finding that I use BIAB entirely for generating Realtracks. I do this when I want to take advantage of the "Avoid transposition of Realtracks" option in 'Song Settings'. I've found that if I want to get the highest quality of sound, activating this option is one thing that can help.

I also like using the 'Force Simple Arrangement' option that BIAB offers individually for each track. The new 'Natural Arrangement' option offered for each track in BIAB is also sometimes useful for me. As far as I'm aware, RB does not have these features.

When click tracks, tempo maps, and unusual time signatures are important, RB is superior. Realband also allows for partial regeneration of Realtracks and Realdrums.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
Journeyman
BB is a great starting point for quickly parsing through hundreds of Real Tracks, getting your bar settings in order, and using the extremely powerful yet rarely (if ever) discussed on these forums melodist and soloist functions. I'm pretty sure none of these features can be utilized in RB (although I could be wrong).

RB is ugly (which I don't actually care about), laggy (which I do), and gruesomely cumbersome (you can probably infer how I feel about that bit).

That said, RB has the absolutely brilliant multi-riff generation function, which you can use to take your RTs from 90 percent to 110. It also has unlimited tracks (HUGE benefit), volume automation controls, and audio recording functions with take comping (which is indispensable for overdubbing). Recording guitar in RB is possible, but limited to the point of near uselessness.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by DeaconBlues09; 04/11/18 08:16 AM. Reason: Left out some words

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Veteran
Veteran
You'll get lots of different and nuanced answers.

I only use BIAB.

Had RealBand been available before I learned several DAWs, I might have used it a great deal.

I also think based on comments by new users that many do not even know about RealBand.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Noel,

Not the OP, but I'm confused by the bit where you say "...I do this when I want to take advantage of the "Avoid transposition of Realtracks" option in 'Song Settings'. I've found that if I want to get the highest quality of sound, activating this option is one thing that can help."

I'm puzzled by this because, as I see it, you either need to transpose a track or don't... Could you please clarify what you meant by that?

Thanks in advance!

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Could you please clarify what you meant by that?

It means that when changing chords, it will minimize transposing various RealTrack patterns and always use one recorded using that chord or closer closer to that particular chord. It results in fewer possible artifacts, but at the expense of fewer available riffs. I don't know how the engine intelligently selects the patterns, but this setting will try to use a closer chord instead of transposing a different chord to achieve the result.

When creating RealTracks, they don't record the all the same riffs for every single possible chord, and especially for some of the more esoteric chords. So, if the RealTrack has a C69add13 (I'm just making stuff up here) recorded, but you need an E69add13, instead of transposing the C version up to E and keeping with the same basic rhythmic structure of the C chord, it will find a recorded chord at or closer to E to use or transpose instead; however, there may be fewer riffs available on that closer chord than just transposing the the C chord up.

Hope that made sense, and it really is all magic.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
Personally I don't use Real Band. I have been using Cubase since before I found out about BIAB. So I use it as a tool as you described above. I generate my instrumental tracks in BIAB then export them to Cubase where I do all of my editing, recording other instruments/vocals and mixing.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
Veteran
I am another BiaB only user. I used Cakewalk software for years. Now I use Studio One Pro 3.5 and the transition was an easy one for me.

I figure out a chord progression, at times use the melodist and/or soloist then I go straight my DAW.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
Ok thanks for the feedback guys...

But one thing I find odd from those of you that do not use RB, how do you go about making all of the tracks for your tues in BB.

I see BB and RB as 2 different tools in my toolbox that can do many of the same things, but I use them very differently.

Like I may have stated I start in BB and get my song to where I am happy with it's arrangement and basic band sound...bass, drums, guitar, piano etc...basically your bed tracks.

Then I import that song into RB and from there add to what I have with other instruments that may be other rhythm or backing instruments or solo instruments.

I took the page from how many people record and when picking solo instruments I take multiple takes of the ones I choose. For example if I find a great guitar soloist that works I will create 4 or more tracks of that players work. Then when I get to my DAW (Samplitude Pro X2) I add all those instruments in and work through them...much like you would in a real studio session.

And like Deacon above stated I too use the multi-riff generation function to create the intro, solos and or extros I want to hear that to me are very specific and important. Most of the time the 4 plus takes (per instrument) that I have of the instruments I have chosen in the song are adequate to produce more than enough fills for the rest of the song...and if not well then I just go back to my RB friend and generate a few more.

That is how I do things but I was wondering if I could cut out the BB part and go straight to using RB. And now that Noel has enlightened me as to why BB seems so much faster than RB to generate or re-generate stuff...well that makes sense...plus RB doesn't seem to have what BB has in the way of a Generate and Play button all in one...(unless I'm wrong). It's a 2 step process...click to generate...then click to play....not a big deal just an annoyance...:)

A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
And I do NOT use RB as a DAW to me it is cumbersome and not easy to use...

D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I am a BIAB only user. I don't have a DAW and my approach is to use BIAB strictly for accompaniment. I don't have frozen tracks or specific licks, in fact most of the styles, Real Tracks and Real Drums remain unused. all my songs are regenerated when I use them.

I used to use only the bass and drum parts, but now use some styles with Real stuff. It is more interesting, but for the most part, unnecessary.

I know here is a lot more I cold do with the product if I wanted, but so far I have never had the inclination to move from the basics.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Veteran
Veteran
I do recommend to new users that, if they don't have a DAW, they should learn RealBand.

It's free, it reads BIAB files (which no other DAW can do), it can regenerate part of a track (that BIAB cannot do), and it offers more than one audio track for recording. Pretty good for free.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I agree - and if I needed one, it would be an easy choice. Just haven't sen a need yet.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Veteran
Veteran
I'd just like to say . . . . W/O BB, there wouldn't be a RB. You need all of the RT's and Styles from BB to begin with. Just sayin. wink

Trax

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I use only BIAB. About 3 or 4 times a year I try to use RB and end up frustrated. It is not a good DAW for all the reasons already stated by others. I have tried a few times to use the Multi-Riff feature which is brilliant and should be included in BIAB!

What I do is mostly accept what BIAB generates for bass and drums. For solo instruments or more prominent instruments I will generate the song and then freeze it and save it. Then I'll unfreeze, regenerate and save again to get a new set of tracks. Once I am done I can bring all the various tracks into my DAW and use the sections I want to comp complete tracks. If BIAB had multi-riff I would love that because it would reduce this effort.

I am always kinda put off by folks who claim RB is free therefore it is a good deal for new users. Well, first off, it is NOT free; I had to buy BIAB to get it! And second, Windows Paint is also "free" but if I want to do any serious graphic work I'd never even open it opting instead for something far more modern and powerful. And finally, I always recommend new users NOT use RB because it is so frustrating and slow and quirky! The last thing I want to do is put a newbie on a path where they are more likely to get frustrated. Instead, they should grab the full-featured Reaper demo for free or the new Cakewalk that is truly free!

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I'm just hoping for JJJ's BiabVST idea, this will give you Biab right in any 64bit DAW along with MultiRiffs, this way you can do it all directly in the DAW, start to finish.
You can even have other studio or live recordings and the BiabVST will generate up any extra instruments to the same tempo map in the DAW.
This will be even better when the Audiophile version moves to 24bit audio quality and multi stem RealDrums to give full mixing control of the drums.

So the current Biab will stay unchanged for those that use it for accompaniment, songwriting and as a learning tool etc...
While those that need it for high quality studio track creation will use the BiabVST.

Veteran
Veteran
Use whichever tool works best for the task.

BiaB is faster .. it generates as it plays, but gives less control over end result.

RB takes more effort/time, but lets you expand/refine your idea much better .. as mentioned. Many more tracks, multiriffs, etc. However it has to generate everything before it plays, so for BiaB users it may seem slow/sluggish. For trying new variations of a given section/track, maybe not so much. No other DAW allows this. I get it that other DAWs are better in other ways, but they can not generate RTs .. which is a trade off that needs to be decided by the user. When you don't need the generate option, move on to your desired next tool.

You don't have to choose just one. There is no 'right way'.
They are tools.
A screwdriver can work as a nail punch .. and a chisel can be used as a pry bar .. but when you use each tool for the right purpose they are much better tools.

Basic flow if starting a song from nothing here -
BiaB -> RB -> whatever other tool I need

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
The answer depends somewhat on how you think.

If you think about a song in parts, in other words song structure, then Band-in-a-Box likely better works the way you think. Band-in-a-Box has a feature that lets you assign bars to a block and you can rearrange a song by moving blocks instead of bars.

If you think about a song in a linear fashion, RealBand likely works the way you think since RealBand follows a timeline from beginning to end.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Rharv makes an excellent point. I use MIDI almost exclusively thus I do not need the RT tools that are included in RB. My work flow is to have BiaB generate MIDI backing tracks then bring them into my Studio One Pro DAW. In my DAW I either erase a track and play it myself, or have JonD or BobH play it, modify it to my satisfaction and/or keep it as is.

If I do use a RT I just generate one in BiaB, bring it into my DAW and cut and paste as needed.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
Biab is great for the sketches, and i just started using RB for adding realtime miked instruments (audio) for soloing or live feel. For the finishing of a project i usually export all audio and midi to a DAW, and quite often exchange some audio or midi generated by PGstuff. F.i in Cubase one has far more editing, mixing and synchronizing possibilities, at a price though.

Hiring musicians is a great thing, but often i want to change arrangements completely in a later stage. Besides some recorded BIAB musicians are beyond my playing capabilities anyway, and can't be found easily where i live ..... But i can imagine that if you're in a hurry one can get results quickly using Realband as DAW only. F

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,182
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185