Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great fun Phil! A clever idea put to just the right music, with some 'weird' chord changes to match! Nicely done.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Ok. So, spelling and pronunciation of "furtive" corrected. Also dropped a syllable out of the fourth line. Unnecessary, and melodically disruptive. I can do one or the other, but not both.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your kind words and support. It's good to know that I'm not just amusing myself :-D

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Phil, I think you got a great sound on this! I really like the way you moved the chord structure around...sounded great! Super vocal on this and think we've only just begun to hear some great stuff from you here! Thanks, Torrey

Last edited by Torrey Bliss; 04/22/18 11:01 AM.

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you, Torrey! I think I've mentioned how much I like "Greater Days". So I consider it high praise coming from you. :-)

Poplar Bluff, eh? I grew up near St. Clair, MO. Live in Columbia, now' but we try to hit Jack's Fork every year.

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, John (Skyline). I just went out and gave "Going Back Home" a spin. Nice work, especially for stepping outside of your normal zone. I thought it worked well.

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Honored that you liked it.

Just checking out your Soundcloud Sampler. Sounds like a band I'd go see!

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you, Mario.

Hey ... I'm sure you've heard this before... you definitely bring Jerry Garcia to mind.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Phil, what a great write.

This song has a little bit of everything, except being too weird.

The stops create a lot of unexpected fun.

Perfect vocals, marvelous mix, top song from every angle.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Nice country, very well done.
Excellent vocal.

everything goes well in the song.
Nice production.

Sergio

Sergio
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Phil, I like the hook you came up with. A good time bluesy country swing tune. Nice job on the walk downs. Bass and drums are much better on this one! Excellent vocal, Tom

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks again, everyone. I'm just going down the list on this forum and listening to songs... lotta good stuff out here.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love this Phil. Cool backtrack and vocal. Excellent harmonies...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Cool song!! And you're right...we're all a little weird in some way, and that's what give us personality! Nice job with mix/vocal. A nice listen!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Phil, you have some great rhythm in how you sing. I love that! May I ask where that comes from? It's so interesting. It' just such a strong sense of where the beat is and playing with it. All the way around, really cool song.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks a lot, Scott!

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
HearToLearn: "Phil, you have some great rhythm in how you sing. I love that! May I ask where that comes from? It's so interesting. It' just such a strong sense of where the beat is and playing with it."

Well thanks for that, I feel humbled.

I guess listening to music all my life. It was always going in the house growing up. Now, it was EZ Listening (like, before that meant Neil Diamond and Carly Simon ... back when it meant Percy Faith and the Ray Conniff Singers) ... that genre had a lot of great melodies, though.

We had moved from Southern California to the Midwest when I was 8 years old... same stuff. Big Band. Some classical. But when I was in 9th grade, I watched the Jan and Dean movie "Dead Man's Curve" and that sound woke up deep memories of Southern Ca and hearing that stuff ... not in our house, but around town. I started secretly listening to oldies shows, and within a couple of years there were oldies STATIONS ... and I listened to a LOT of Beatles and Beach Boys and Mamas & Papas ... and Herb Alpert and the Chiffons and Supremes ... and Pete Fountain. And Glenn Miller. And eventually I was listening to CSN and the Moody Blues before I was out of High School in ... 1982.

When StyxJourneyWagon was popular. I wasn't the most popular kid in school. :-)

I eventually learned to appreciate some StyxJourneyWagon.

Every time I moved in and after college, the last thing to come down at the old place and the first thing to go up in the new place was the stereo. Music, music, music. I've been steeped in it all my life.

I've ALWAYS wanted to make music. Never took any music lessons.
Oh, I had a recorder in "band" in 6th grade, but I could never get the hang of reading music. Didn't pick up a guitar until I was 37.

So I'll never be very good at it. Full time job, family, house to take care of... But I'm good enough at it to play chords and accompany myself, and now to write songs. And I go take non-music-reading guitar lessons with Lee Ruth every week and I have for 14 years (you'd think I'd be better than I am after that amount of time, but no. I know what I want but my fingers won't do it.)

Enter BIAB. Now I can.

I was a huge Alan Parsons Project fan in College. Long before I ever picked up a guitar and I had written off learning to play anything (and I never liked my voice, either, so I never considered myself a singer... BUT ...) I thought, "maybe I will be a producer".

Well reality took over and I got a job in IT. Which is a much surer career than "producer", especially if you have no musical training.

But my musical training was all in my ear, and I always have sung along with songs when nobody could hear me. I liked singing, I just didn't think I could do it very well, and didn't want anyone to hear me.

So you might say I had a lot of "secret" practice.

When I hear music that I like, I feel like a(n) electrical conductor. It just flows through me with no resistance (conversely, when I hear music I can't stand, there's high resistance and I feel tension). When it just flows through you it just kind of becomes a part of you, I guess.

That explanation was all over the map, but maybe you can read the answer between the lines.

Thanks for listening!

- P

Last edited by Phil Leith; 04/30/18 06:06 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199